Infiltration Shadow is the worst spec in the game

EnsignSorrow

I'm seriously mad. I have put over 1,000 hours into my shadow. I currently have full wh/wp aug/half min-maxed with power. 33% crit buffed, near 1k bonus. I have played all specs hybrid/dps tank pre patch 1.5, infiltration (for most of my career), and balance.

As much as I hate balance (I really hate this spec I cannot even tell you how much),it seems right now balance is the only viable dps spec for shadow in PVP.

Balance can pull currently around 1.3m overall damage in the same setting as it is possible to even get 659k overall damage as infiltration shadow. I'm comparing my own scores.

I can play infiltration shadow 100% (I never miss SS, or FP/BR).

Why is this? This is so dumb because balance shadow is such a dumb spec, I barely see any shadows/sins on my server with it (I mean I have seen maybe 2 in my year of play), the reason for this is because sure it can pull stupid damage but it's so bad for 1v1 that it I am getting roflstomped by superior builds who can pull the same numbers, and are good for 1v1.

All in all shadow is just a really poor class, and you can never be considered the best because of it. You could be the best shadow, but that's it.

Edited by EnsignSorrow

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry but you comparing uncomparable here. AOE/DOT spec vs. single target burst spec. If your measurable criteria of PVP success is damage dealt per match only, than yeah you are right. Theres lot of ppl like you out there. But then dont bother with shadow, roll lolsmasher.

Infi is designed to be a lone wolf, a hunter. He have to chose targets wisely. Destroy enemy healers, ranged DPS. Optimaly hes not attending the middle of battle. Hes eliminating all, what is arround. Ofc his stealth attacks to enemy nodes are famous. The burst is what you need there, not aoe.

So yeah, Infi will never have superior damage. AOE will rule.But played wisely Infi can be game breaking.

Sorry but you comparing uncomparable here. AOE/DOT spec vs. single target burst spec. If your measurable criteria of PVP success is damage dealt per match only, than yeah you are right. Theres lot of ppl like you out there. But then dont bother with shadow, roll lolsmasher.

Infi is designed to be a lone wolf, a hunter. He have to chose targets wisely. Destroy enemy healers, ranged DPS. Optimaly hes not attending the middle of battle. Hes eliminating all, what is arround. Ofc his stealth attacks to enemy nodes are famous. The burst is what you need there, not aoe.

So yeah, Infi will never have superior damage. AOE will rule.But played wisely Infi can be game breaking.

Yeah, except that is how others gauge your skill. Not like I care, but I do when it means I am getting benched for RWZ all the time, and when I do get a chance to get in no one takes me seriously. They will make me defend a node, put me on standby for a cap, or worst, they will make me carry the ball after my initial grab. That really makes me feel bad, because I know I'm one of the best, and I will never be recognized as such as long as I play infiltration shadow which is my favorite class. :(

Edited by EnsignSorrow

First I have never seen an assassin or shadow hit 1.3m while running madness/balance. Not saying its not possible but have yet to see it. For straight up damage, yes madness offers the most imho, the downside is that its terribly squishy but the self heals help. Infiltration has good burst and considering that its all single target damage is not all that bad (still yet to hit 700k deeps but almost there).

I will agree that the only way you are getting onto a rated team is playing a KC hybrid.

I kinda agree with this thread. Also what's the point of so many trying to perfect infil for raids. Good luck with hitting 1800 dps in that spec. If you think about it, it'd be even lower on fights like Toth and Zorn while balance can throw ranged abilities during the bezerk phase.

Worst? No. It was, possibly, a few patches ago, before it got a bit of a boost.

Could it use a further boost? Yep. Absolutely. So could a few other class skill trees (as noted above).

The fact that Balance so easily out-dps's Infil by 100 or more dps on average, as well as the fact Balance has AoE, range, and self-heals, seems very skewed.

The irony is that this thread exists as a PvP whine where Infil doesn't do too badly. It's PvE where it's shortcomings tend to be more obvious.

To be honest infil/deception is pretty powerful right now.

And I would take an infil shadow over a balance in RWZ anyday. Balance has far too much set up and people don't live long enough for it to matter, not saying it can't be pulled off but burst is king in pvp.

"All in all shadow is just a really poor class, and you can never be considered the best because of it. You could be the best shadow, but that's it."

That has to be a joke statement. Shadow/assassin is probably the most powerful/well balanced pvp class in the game.

I kinda agree with this thread. Also what's the point of so many trying to perfect infil for raids. Good luck with hitting 1800 dps in that spec. If you think about it, it'd be even lower on fights like Toth and Zorn while balance can throw ranged abilities during the bezerk phase.

Infiltration is a fun build to play. Nothing like watching those big numbers land!! Its just a shame because it looks to me like Infil tree was what shadows were designed for...... so why is it the weakest tree in the shadow class? Would love to see some solid tweaks, to bring it up to at least in line with balance if not infront of. How about dropping force cloak to 30 or 45 secs and make it a TRUE shadow class!! Work the stealth, in and out burst, better force management.... just saying.

I think the only reason people are worried about perfecting it, is so they can make it a viable option for endgame pve. Its hard to get respect as a shadow, never mind an infil shadow.

I think it's a matter of play style. As was said above, burst is king in PvP. Balance will have high sustained damage, but the goal in wzs is not high numbers., it's objectives and killing high value targets (healers)that win games. Light up the healer and you've just made all other dps' job easier. Attack and cap the node where everyone else isn't. Yeah infiltration is really squishy, that just means you have a shorter time frame to kill your target.

Infiltration is awesome and better than it's ever been. Yes, AOE and Range DPS will always stack bigger numbers. That's a given. But I play the game to have fun and Infiltration is a blast. The only WZ Scoreboard number that matters to me is the Win, and Infiltration is more than effective at helping to achieve that.

RWZs are currently broken right now. Shadows aren't the only AC getting sidelined thanks to some of the existing class imbalances in game. Even if you get into some Rated matches as a Kinetic Hybrid, it's not that much of a boon. Guarding a node is about the most boring thing to do in this game and that's what you will be stuck doing a majority of the time in Rateds. My Shadow blew off RWZs a long time ago.

I'm seriously mad. I have put over 1,000 hours into my shadow. I currently have full wh/wp aug/half min-maxed with power. 33% crit buffed, near 1k bonus. I have played all specs hybrid/dps tank pre patch 1.5, infiltration (for most of my career), and balance.

As much as I hate balance (I really hate this spec I cannot even tell you how much),it seems right now balance is the only viable dps spec for shadow in PVP.

Balance can pull currently around 1.3m overall damage in the same setting as it is possible to even get 659k overall damage as infiltration shadow. I'm comparing my own scores.

Why is this? This is so dumb because balance shadow is such a dumb spec, I barely see any shadows/sins on my server with it (I mean I have seen maybe 2 in my year of play), the reason for this is because sure it can pull stupid damage but it's so bad for 1v1 that it I am getting roflstomped by superior builds who can pull the same numbers, and are good for 1v1.

All in all shadow is just a really poor class, and you can never be considered the best because of it. You could be the best shadow, but that's it.

Either you are really bad at infiltration and don't understand it or you are a really bad troll.

I've barely gotten full WH (not even close to optimizing yet) on my shadow and already have more than 10 matches where i pulled over 700k.

And where as balance shadow might have his dot's slowly running on something and isn't being a really effective killer, I am being super effective and still pull good numbers (i know numbers mean **** all in pvp, just thought I'd include it for OP).

And saying infiltration shadow is bad in 1 vs 1 is saying smashers are bad at aoe damage. It makes no sense at all.

Infiltration is a fun build to play. Nothing like watching those big numbers land!! Its just a shame because it looks to me like Infil tree was what shadows were designed for...... so why is it the weakest tree in the shadow class? Would love to see some solid tweaks, to bring it up to at least in line with balance if not infront of. How about dropping force cloak to 30 or 45 secs and make it a TRUE shadow class!! Work the stealth, in and out burst, better force management.... just saying.

I think the only reason people are worried about perfecting it, is so they can make it a viable option for endgame pve. Its hard to get respect as a shadow, never mind an infil shadow.

Agree with this. Shadow is my main and once I moved to Infiltration from KC hybrid because of the buff, I'm having a freaking blast. The burst is insane and the survivability it received is great. I don't know. I'm loving my Shadow now with the buff Infiltration received. Yeah. I don't have the utility I used to have with hybrid, but the burst is great, as I like to play strictly DPS anyways.

First I have never seen an assassin or shadow hit 1.3m while running madness/balance. Not saying its not possible but have yet to see it. For straight up damage, yes madness offers the most imho, the downside is that its terribly squishy but the self heals help. Infiltration has good burst and considering that its all single target damage is not all that bad (still yet to hit 700k deeps but almost there).

I will agree that the only way you are getting onto a rated team is playing a KC hybrid.

Its entirely possible.

Here's a pic of an assassin on my server, Jedi Covenant. This is NOT me, lol:

http://i.imgur.com/E5cWx.jpg

I'm seriously mad. ...............

Absolutely NOT.

First you need to realize you are not a field tank that will lolsmash anyone in range. You are not even supposed to make tons of damage. Shadow infil role is way different - it's to be the surprise attacker, node capper, turn-the-tide player.

i just cannot stop playing it. I love the "all of the sudden" dis- and -appearing and running into or away technique.

I know i cannot stand 1 vs 2 fights but then I simply vanish and go my own way.

My role is to help the team to win and that is NOT by making lots of damage.

But besides ,as it was mentioned, the damage burst is not "unnoticeable" on Shadow infil, is it? :)

it is my main and I won't give it up soon.

I am trying to run Sentinel on the alt - but I terribly miss the "cloak" button - instead I have to jump like a rabbit from one mob to another, it is not the same fun.

In PVE Tharan does his job well, I do not need any other companion.

Heroics? Mostly soloable :)

In raids. Well...if things go wrong, I get wiped the first - obviously I am not wearing anything but few silky elusive strings...But if the tank and healers know what they are doing...it's different story.

But true, it is not EASY to master the class.

Still I am learning, even if already wearing almost full WH.

Edited by Przemo_No
typos

Deception/Infil is capable of tremendous damage, and it's all single target at that, which makes it even more important.

I just dug through some screenshots and I guess I didn't take this one but I had ~865k as full 0/33/8 deception in a voidstar game, and that was at reaching full WH. Now being min/maxed I know it makes a big difference over full WH, so that could have been even more than 800k range.

And let's say that there was an AoEer in the game as well, that did comparable damage... what is more valuable, damage applied in single target burst, which eliminates targets completely, or spread out AoE damage that is most likely healed through?

People underestimate the value of a deception sin or shadow, and they're making a mistake. ;)

Edited by Monterone

I do more than enough damage as an Infiltration Shadow, to not be a cause for an enrage, for any raid. Also Resilience blocks Toth's enraged jump so Shadow's have no problem standing there to continue dps. If Toth is doing two jumps enraged there is something wrong.

1.5m as madness

http://i.imgur.com/E5cWx.jpg

There you go now you've seen it, and I play madness in rateds with just under a 2400 rating.

Anyways I somewhat agree with the poster that infil isn't very good, but I'm strictly speaking from a competitive team setting. I actually made my name on my server playing deception. I feel like too many people play deception too much like a concealment/scrapper op or scoundrel, since our opener sucks we don't have to solo kill people to re-stealth to get an opener, we can just continue with our rotation. IMO deception should not be used as a solo killer build if you're strictly going for numbers, and should be played more like a carnage marauder would. The less time you sit in stealth the better. It should only be used for the damage reduction/force regen when you come out and the reset on blackout.

As for the original poster saying its not a good 1v1 spec though I would have to disagree. I would say it is close to on par with hybrid for 1v1's because of the changes in the defensives in 1.5, its just much harder to play..

Edited by Draank

Yeah, so, I haven't played in a few months and I've been inactive etc.

Here's my thoughts on the new Infil:

Decent.

Nothing that special nor is it anything horrible (like it was before. It was THE WORST spec in the game).

I see all these people linking damage scoreboards etc., and what not but that's not a very accurate way of getting a point across concerning a spec's performance. Especially as balance, since one could simply tab-target and spread dots.

I still do not find infil that good for top tier competition. Hybrid still outranks every other spec and balance is seemingly 'okay' in its spot. Infil is an okay 1v1 spec. It's not horrid, nor is it great. It's just decent.

I disagree with this. Infiltration is perfectly viable for pvp. Out of combat stuns, stealth, slow, knockback, burst dps and taunts make us really annoying and deadly. If you are looking to pull the most damage in a war zone on a constant basis then this spec is not for you. I have broke 500k plenty of times and was just shy of 800k damage once but these are special cases. Our main focus should be surprising healers/squishies and dispatching of them quickly.

There is no place I can go without feeling safe either. I can defend nodes very effectively due to stealth, stuns and Force Cloak. I have held a turret for 45 seconds against 3 people and survived until my team was able to respond and help.

I try my best to avoid a 1 v 1 just for the fact I rather have an advantage and have a teammate to help kill. This is not always the case though. When I am forced into them I have killed all classes just as I have died to them. 1 v 1 factors in player skill 1000 times over, luck and what cool downs you have that are available. For the most part I will win 90 percent of them but it is never a sure thing. Some classes do it better than others and we are part of that few.

As far as being the best I don't go around considering a Vanguard Assault Specialist the best nor do I Sage healer at the game. If a person is good they are good at their class they are currently playing. People that are smart will know this. A good Shadow is just as good as a well played anything on any team. Nobody is the best without a team to back him.

Here is a Screenshot of the damage by the way. Name is Phazon and yes that is me. My friend Alpina sent me the screenshot through an email.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=eaa14110aa&view=att&th=13acc9b731389dc9&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_h94h4hgn0&safe=1&zw

Also any new Shadows that read this. Please use your taunts. I see too many of them in War zones that don't. They help tremendously. It sometimes can be the difference in a teammate surviving or dying. Never know when you will catch someone in a burst phase and reducing that damage by 30% is awesome .

Also any new Shadows that read this. Please use your taunts. I see too many of them in War zones that don't. They help tremendously. It sometimes can be the difference in a teammate surviving or dying. Never know when you will catch someone in a burst phase and reducing that damage by 30% is awesome .

Exactly.

It's sad but there are countless of times where with my Infiltration Shadow, I get the the top Protection score of my team if not the top of the whole WZ (and sometimes the best of only 2 or the only one with a score over 0), and this even with Kinetic Shadows and Darkness Assassins joining the WZ.

Edited by Altheran