Lost Island......Really bothering me.

So ive been playing my Jedi guardian toon with a tank spec for a while now and i have almost full black hole gear on....and ive really been trying to get good at tanking....But despite my best efforts i just cant freakig tank the second boss on lost island, that F'ing droid has given me more trouble than anything else... ive read some stuff about the fight and have tanked it a few times but he still almost always kicks my ***.....

anyone out there that can give me some tips/hints/help..... I want to master tanking this fight..... it really makes me feel like ive wasted allot of time when i cant do what i am spec'ed to do, and what my group needs me to do.

thanks

For the droid boss, the key thing for the tank is to interrupt incinerate as quickly as you can. That cast puts a stacking DOT on you, up to 3 stacks which is extremely difficult to heal through. if you don't interrupt it in the first second it will start putting stacks of the DOT on you.

Now a competent healer should cleanse it if you miss it. Of the numerous LI groups i've been a part of, missing incinerate causes most of the wipes.

The second thing is about positioning the boss. With a group of all ranged dps, you can basically tank it in the middle and the lightning balls are not that big of an issue.

With melee, they should be able to move away from the boss to drop the orb but I have only rarely been in groups that will be 100% successful. This means you will have to likely move the boss at some point. This is where you may miss an incinerate since your interrupt is only 4 meters.

However, the key thing with the droid is to interrupt incinerate or have the healer cleanse it if you miss one. Outside of that there can be a little bit of positioning.

i hate pugging lost island and prob will never pug it again

i dont know what a sorc does there but my operative can do it easily

(he must use toxic scan on incin dots if he dont your dead (unless assassin tank)

it sounds like it is your fault and dps if you have let 3 dots get on you. my guild runs max 1 dot easily healed through, 5 dots is not likely (norm 4 is a wipe but if happens) use toxic scan instant aoe and dot heals, if he still alive tell him (you) to pop cool downs and pay attention next time while your getting your introductions up if your 4-6k crit heals if they don't crit tank should be at 19k health at least by the time incin drops again

now i was speaking like i am towards a healer... but your tank you should know there rotation in case they dont

tip to dps ... keep aggro of healer i norm run with sorc and me being opeartive i stick to his back side while he is killing adds with storm lightning ... doing with 2 mara's is never easy more work for healer incase of a incin fail because you could have 3 people with incinerate dot on them but get heal them last they are not important

(if a dps dies early don't rez him it is possible to do with just a sorc dps and a operative healer (my guild leader and my self knocked the last 45% health of him) save the rez for final 15% and put on the tank i say 15% not likely to wipe if you made it that far with only 2 people

Edited by warriorcat

Just to add about the incinerate, since it is the only thing interuptable, everyone should be doing it if they can.

If the tank has to move to avoid the bubbles, they may miss it. I find this at times with my tank. When I am on dps Shadow, I am always behind him, so I will hit every interupt I can to help the tank concentrate on moving. Teamwork here is important for an easy kill.

doing with 2 mara's is never easy more work for healer incase of a incin fail because you could have 3 people with incinerate dot on them but get heal them last they are not important

Honestly if your Marauders are EVER getting the Incinerate debuff, they do not know the fight well enough. If they are positioned properly (ie behind the boss) they will not get hit by it.

This is what I've found while tanking this boss...if the healer sucks we are going to wipe! I'm sure that's the case with most FP's but it is especially so with this one. Every time I've wiped it's been because of a bad healer. Bad DPS on this means the dps will die.

I wouldn't even say holding threat is an issue even with the adds. It's very distracting especially when you have dps running toward you with a bubble following them and drop it right behind you but I can adjust for that. I cannot adjust for a healer not dropping heals at the right time. I had a healer (commando) who waited until I was about 30% health before dropping a heal and by then it was too late. I've had under-geared Healers try to run it and we wiped. In fact I ran it last monday and wiped 3 times. I didn't run it again until later in the week.

The healing on this really makes a difference from the tanking perspective. I'm sure a healer will say the same about the tank as well but I've tanked this successfully too many times to know it's not an issue holding aggro for me.

Just to add about the incinerate, since it is the only thing interuptable, everyone should be doing it if they can.

If the tank has to move to avoid the bubbles, they may miss it. I find this at times with my tank. When I am on dps Shadow, I am always behind him, so I will hit every interupt I can to help the tank concentrate on moving. Teamwork here is important for an easy kill.

I totaly agree here about everyone helping with incinerate,its hard to hit every incinerate when kiting the boss around the room while holding agro.... I know the tank has An important role and that it has to be played right, But i think he takes the blame a little to much sometimes... everyone deff has to play there part well to make this one work.

well i will get back on today and try again, we will see how it goes.

This is what I've found while tanking this boss...if the healer sucks we are going to wipe! I'm sure that's the case with most FP's but it is especially so with this one. Every time I've wiped it's been because of a bad healer. Bad DPS on this means the dps will die.

I wouldn't even say holding threat is an issue even with the adds. It's very distracting especially when you have dps running toward you with a bubble following them and drop it right behind you but I can adjust for that. I cannot adjust for a healer not dropping heals at the right time. I had a healer (commando) who waited until I was about 30% health before dropping a heal and by then it was too late. I've had under-geared Healers try to run it and we wiped. In fact I ran it last monday and wiped 3 times. I didn't run it again until later in the week.

The healing on this really makes a difference from the tanking perspective. I'm sure a healer will say the same about the tank as well but I've tanked this successfully too many times to know it's not an issue holding aggro for me.

Honestly, a bad healer can make nearly any fight next to impossible, but this one isn't very healing intensive at all as long as everyone is doing what they are supposed to (e.g. Staying behind the boss, moving the lightning, interrupting incinerate). Most of the wipes I see on this fight are due to dps dropping lightning balls on the tank, and the tank not knowing how to compensate and start kiting. While kiting, I've also seen a dps drop lighting infront of the tank, and trapping the group. Really the only issues a healer might be having for this fight are Los problems, or incinerate being left too long and hitting the melees as well. I don't know about commandos and sages, but a smugglers cleanse is on a 6 second cool down, so if three people are hit by incinerate, the healer is going to have a rough time.

The soft enrage on this one can be damn near impossible to deal with as wel unless you have a well coordinated group, but in my experience, a well coordinated group doesn't usually hit the enrage timer.

So ive been playing my Jedi guardian toon with a tank spec for a while now and i have almost full black hole gear on....and ive really been trying to get good at tanking....But despite my best efforts i just cant freakig tank the second boss on lost island, that F'ing droid has given me more trouble than anything else... ive read some stuff about the fight and have tanked it a few times but he still almost always kicks my ***.....

anyone out there that can give me some tips/hints/help..... I want to master tanking this fight..... it really makes me feel like ive wasted allot of time when i cant do what i am spec'ed to do, and what my group needs me to do.

thanks

I have a Guardian Tank also, perhaps I can be of some help as I have defeated the LR-5 droid on more than one occasion.

Okay.....first we need to have some idea how you are spec'd. I am going to assume that you are filling the Defense tree as that is the tree for the Tank spec. You should be putting 31 points into that tree and the remaining 10 into the Vigilance tree. I would suggest this arrangement to help you plan this out.

Now, on to dealing with the actual boss itself. You need to size up your group against the boss, specifically you need to measure your DPS in three ways.

1. Your DPS need to do a COMBINED MINIMUM of 2000 damage in order to defeat this boss prior to the enrage timer. Trust me when I say you don't want this boss to enrage.

2. Your DPS need to understand how to handle the Plasma Bubbles. I can't stress this enough as this is LR-5's most deadly attack outside of Incinerate. This is really important if they are Melee DPS as they have to be fast enough to move the bubble marker away from you so that you do not get caught in it. It damages you for 850 per tick and can kill you quickly.

3. Your DPS also need to be prepared to pick up the adds quickly as they appear because hindering either yourself or the healer can cause the whole team to wipe.

Other things to remember is the type of DPS being brought into the fight. Ranged DPS is more beneficial to you as a Melee Tank because with good RDPS you can basically "tank and spank" the boss in the center of the room while the dps and healer can stay out on the side of the room, taking the Plasma bubbles out of the equation and limiting the damage done to the team while maximizing dps on the boss.

NOTE: If you have Melee DPS, you will need to kite the boss around the room. If you are stuck kiting, I would suggest moving between the "pillars" that are around the room every time LR-5 drops a bubble on someone. This helps in two ways:

1. It allows the DPS to plant the bubbles away from the direction you are kiting, taking them completely out of the equation.

2. It sets up a timing situation with your team. If everyone is on vent or ts,etc., they can call out "bubble" so that the tank can move a little more further along.

Now on to you, the TANK.

Interrupt, Interrupt, Interrupt.....that Incinerate cast from the boss. This is the one single cast from LR-5 that causes so much trouble for the Tank. Don't rely on the DPS to do this for you. This should be totally on you because the DPS will have their hands full with the Plasma Bubbles, Adds and Lava. The good news for you is that this cast is completely predictable. When LR-5 starts arcing electricity between it's cannons, the Incinerate cast will follow almost immediately. Be prepared to Interrupt.

You need to hold Aggro the entire fight. Single cast Taunt only. Try to resist using your AOE taunt as you can pull the adds(if any)all over you forcing the DPS into the proximity of the boss. Add in the Plasma Bubbles and you have a serious problem.

The Healer serves to keep you healed mostly on this fight. The Healer should be focused on healing you more than the DPS. If the Healer is healing the DPS more than you, then your DPS are not handling the fight correctly and/or you are not holding aggro. If you hold aggro properly, the only thing that can seriously hurt the dps is the Plasma Bubbles, and they are easy to deal with.

The Healer also needs to know to use their cleanse ability on you if you get hit by Incinerate to lessen the damage.

Hope this helps.

interupt incinerate. If it´s all melee dps you might want to use the old tactic of kiting and not moving bupples away from boss. Especially if you struggle with enrage timers. Running away from boss as melee costs dps.

Kiting tactic would mean that melee dps can stay on boss allways and help interupting incinerate especially when you move the boss. One dps would ofc need to nuke adds when they spawn. Ignore the ranged adds unless you walk just past them or can pull them in.

Kiting tactic can easily end up beeing a total mess if the group doesn´t stay and move together. That´s the main reason it isn´t used in pugs. On paper it sounds easy enough, but still it usually ends up beeing a mess.

Practise makes perfect.

I have a Guardian Tank also, perhaps I can be of some help as I have defeated the LR-5 droid on more than one occasion.

Okay.....first we need to have some idea how you are spec'd. I am going to assume that you are filling the Defense tree as that is the tree for the Tank spec. You should be putting 31 points into that tree and the remaining 10 into the Vigilance tree. I would suggest this arrangement to help you plan this out.

Now, on to dealing with the actual boss itself. You need to size up your group against the boss, specifically you need to measure your DPS in three ways.

1. Your DPS need to do a COMBINED MINIMUM of 2000 damage in order to defeat this boss prior to the enrage timer. Trust me when I say you don't want this boss to enrage.

2. Your DPS need to understand how to handle the Plasma Bubbles. I can't stress this enough as this is LR-5's most deadly attack outside of Incinerate. This is really important if they are Melee DPS as they have to be fast enough to move the bubble marker away from you so that you do not get caught in it. It damages you for 850 per tick and can kill you quickly.

3. Your DPS also need to be prepared to pick up the adds quickly as they appear because hindering either yourself or the healer can cause the whole team to wipe.

Other things to remember is the type of DPS being brought into the fight. Ranged DPS is more beneficial to you as a Melee Tank because with good RDPS you can basically "tank and spank" the boss in the center of the room while the dps and healer can stay out on the side of the room, taking the Plasma bubbles out of the equation and limiting the damage done to the team while maximizing dps on the boss.

NOTE: If you have Melee DPS, you will need to kite the boss around the room. If you are stuck kiting, I would suggest moving between the "pillars" that are around the room every time LR-5 drops a bubble on someone. This helps in two ways:

1. It allows the DPS to plant the bubbles away from the direction you are kiting, taking them completely out of the equation.

2. It sets up a timing situation with your team. If everyone is on vent or ts,etc., they can call out "bubble" so that the tank can move a little more further along.

Now on to you, the TANK.

Interrupt, Interrupt, Interrupt.....that Incinerate cast from the boss. This is the one single cast from LR-5 that causes so much trouble for the Tank. Don't rely on the DPS to do this for you. This should be totally on you because the DPS will have their hands full with the Plasma Bubbles, Adds and Lava. The good news for you is that this cast is completely predictable. When LR-5 starts arcing electricity between it's cannons, the Incinerate cast will follow almost immediately. Be prepared to Interrupt.

You need to hold Aggro the entire fight. Single cast Taunt only. Try to resist using your AOE taunt as you can pull the adds(if any)all over you forcing the DPS into the proximity of the boss. Add in the Plasma Bubbles and you have a serious problem.

The Healer serves to keep you healed mostly on this fight. The Healer should be focused on healing you more than the DPS. If the Healer is healing the DPS more than you, then your DPS are not handling the fight correctly and/or you are not holding aggro. If you hold aggro properly, the only thing that can seriously hurt the dps is the Plasma Bubbles, and they are easy to deal with.

The Healer also needs to know to use their cleanse ability on you if you get hit by Incinerate to lessen the damage.

Hope this helps.

thank you very much for your insite.... and thank you everyone else as well...I truly want to master this fight :p

The truth is its hard to get a good group all the way around on this one using the group finder lol.... But no giving up....see you on the field boys!

Pretty much everything has been outlined for you already regarding this fight, so I'm not going to bore you with repeating the mechanics. I'll just say some useful tips that aren't necessarily related to mechanics.

1. If you're learning the fight, try to learn it with guild members/friends. Later, when you get the hang of it, it'll be easy enough to PuG with decent people, but people you know will likely be less frustrated by repeated wipes.

2. Get on some sort of voice server (vent, mumble, ts). This is immensely helpful to coordinate the fight. The tank is not always able to see who's targeted by the lightning balls and if the person targeted calls out "Move", the tank will know to reposition the boss further away.

3. Take team composition into account. With 2 ranged DPS have the healer and DPS move around the circumference of the room together. With 1 melee DPS, stay in the middle, and trust the melee guy to run as far as he can as soon as he's targeted. With 2 melee DPS, move around the room as a group (this is where you need vent,mumble,ts the most)

4. The middle is yours! Use the space available! Don't tank in the middle of the middle square, pull it to the corner nearest to the healer/dps. Don't force the healer and the dps to stand on lava, when you can make their job a hundred times easier by pulling the boss two feet closer to the edge. Pisses me off every time I heal this FP....

EDIT: This is one encounter, where skill vastly outshines gear. If everyone does a proper job, you'll be surprised to see how little gear requirement this boss actually has.

Edited by CommanderKeeva

3. Take team composition into account. With 2 ranged DPS have the healer and DPS move around the circumference of the room together.

Actually, spread out instead if you can - if all the ranged people stand in the same spot they will all have to move every time a dome drops, which costs both DPS and healing output, while if you stand in different spots only the person targeted has to move. With proper positioning you should still be able to stay in range of the healer (as DPS, or in range of the DPS if you're the healer) while doing that.

Actually, spread out instead if you can - if all the ranged people stand in the same spot they will all have to move every time a dome drops, which costs both DPS and healing output, while if you stand in different spots only the person targeted has to move. With proper positioning you should still be able to stay in range of the healer (as DPS, or in range of the DPS if you're the healer) while doing that.

I'm guessing there's more than one way to do that but if the DPS are on different sides of the room, the healer might not be able to reach them, especially if he has to heal in two directions plus the tank in the middle. The DPS moves away to the wall when targeted by lightning anyway, so it's not like he doesn't have to move if he's not standing with the other DPS and the healer. But if you do stack on the healer, he can use AoE heals like Salvation, Kolto Bomb and Kolto Cloud, which actually increases his healing output.

Every group with 2 ranged DPS (be that guild or pug) I've seen on my server has done it this way and I've never seen him hit the enrage timer in the 10 or so months it's been out.

thank you very much for your insite.... and thank you everyone else as well...I truly want to master this fight :p

The truth is its hard to get a good group all the way around on this one using the group finder lol.... But no giving up....see you on the field boys!

No problem. Glad to help. Using Group Finder to do this is usually not advised because, contrary to what you may read on these forums, Tionese geared players can do this FP, but it is not a good idea. If the entire team is geared in Tionese, the team will wipe and will not be able to finish the FP.

Oh, and just in case someone disagrees with me on the Tionese gear not being sufficient, please remember that Group Finder mentions that the requirement for Lost Island Hard Mode is a toon geared in 136 gear for better. 136 is Columi. Tionese is 126 and weaker than Columi. If you bring Tionese geared toons into this FP, they will have to be carried through.

I would suggest running Lost Island Story Mode first to learn the mechanics of the fights and then running Hard Mode with Guildies or Friends until you feel comfortable with the entire FP, at which time using PUG's might be easier to deal with.

Edited by DarknessInLight

I totaly agree here about everyone helping with incinerate,its hard to hit every incinerate when kiting the boss around the room while holding agro.... I know the tank has An important role and that it has to be played right, But i think he takes the blame a little to much sometimes... everyone deff has to play there part well to make this one work.

well i will get back on today and try again, we will see how it goes.

You don't need to lure the boss around the room. Engage and pull him to the right corner of his platform. Rotate him so that you're standing near the cener of the platfom and he has his behind facing your casters. Move him to another corner when he drops a bubble on you. As for melee dps, they have 2-3 seconds they can use to run away, place the bubble somewhere to the side and jump back into the fray.

To OP.

What server are you on? If you are on Prophecy of the Five I would be happy to heal for you and help you master it. I tank and heal this on a regular basis.

I also do not recommend PUGing this unless you absolutely have to. Get with your guild and get on ventrillo or something so you can better coordinate fights.

If PUGing is your only option make sure that you communicate well with group before and after fights. SOOO many people THINK they know this fight and will say as much in chat but in reality their play prooves otherwise.

This fight (and whole FP for that matter) REQUIRE the group to be very mechanically sound and use proper techniques or it will be an endless string of wipes. Just 1 week link or someone not doing it right usually means a wipe.

All the roles need to know their part and perform well, DPS, Tanks, Healers all need to do it right. It's not just the tanks or healers fault. But like I said, 1 weak link CAN bring the group down.

Just another thought. Where is your "target's cast bar"? I put mine smack dab in the middle of the screen right about where my character is. That way as soon as an enemy starts casting (incinerate in this case) it about slaps me in the face. I also have my interrupt skill hot keyed to a button on my mouse for quick casting. If you haven't done this or something like it yet, make sure that you do.

Lots of tank replies, I'll give a couple of points from a healer perspective.

#1. Assuming you have melee DPS and need to kite, please DO NOT kite into the corners of the room. You can use the sides, and ends near the doors, but not the corners where the doors are. Going into the corners is the surest way to cause line-of-sight issues for your healer. The lightning spheres will dissipate after a time, so maximizing space usage is usually not an issue here.

#2. For the lightning spheres, DPS should NOT try to run them far away. This usually just puts lightning all over the room and cuts the group off from a clear path. They SHOULD take a few steps back from the boss to give just enough room/time for the tank to kite the boss away. But basically, move the boss, not the spheres.

#3. Don't worry about standing in fire for short periods of time if needed. I don't want the entire fight over fire, but it isn't something to panic about.

#4. I want the DPS to mostly IGNORE the adds, and focus on DPSing and interrupting the boss. If you can AoE taunt them, and the DPS can AoE them down with the boss...cool. If not, they do almost no damage, and can be ignored.

#5. If I am healing on my sage with melee DPS, I claim the middle platform as mine. Kite the boss from there as quickly as you can. Sages have the least ability to heal on the move, and our AoE requires the group to be stationary for several seconds to be of any use. So for some runs, I'm not able to use our AoE heal at all, and have to rely solely on single-target healing, which means a whole lot of standing still for 2.3 - 2.7s per heal. Now my commando will happily follow the group around the room, as do most scoundrels.

Hope this helps.

Edited by NoFishing

First boss or miniboss hits alot harder than the droid.. alot.... the difference is huge actually.

If you start taking a lot of damage from this boss, move. Pretend there is an invisible AoE damage circle under your feet, because I'm pretty sure that is what is happening.

I've healed this FP a lot, and tanks that stand still are usually dead at the end of the fight. Tanks that move in a circle around the boss when they start taking significant damage stay at 90% or better health.