Breath of fresh air ARTICLE: Why I Play SWTOR

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, good article. I've respected Larry's opinion for a while now after watching him for a long time on gamebreaker.tv's "The Republic".

I'll be here for the long haul with this game. I've long become immune to the "grass is always greener in the next MMO" disease.

I'll be here for the long haul with this game. I've long become immune to the "grass is always greener in the next MMO" disease.
I'm not totally immune. :D

I like trying new things. I've experienced most of SWTOR at this point. I played the GW2 beta and it was fun, but at the same time I did a side-by-side comparison in my head against SWTOR, and the outcome was decidedly mixed. Some things SWTOR did better, some things GW2 did better. I'm with Penny Arcade on this one.

Yep, good article. I've respected Larry's opinion for a while now after watching him for a long time on gamebreaker.tv's "The Republic".

Yeah I second that. I know TOR can be somewhat boring at times, hotbar combat, linear content and planets, as a whole typical theme park symptoms, but there's really nothing else out there even worth spending time on. Tera is just korean grinder F2P lol, GW2 will crash and burn soon enough and settle with a bunch of the fans while the rest of the world don't know about or care about GW2.

Of course the irony is that the majority of responses to this linked article on Facebook by BioWare, were negative.

Most of the people who comment over on Massively just love to bash SWTOR. Larry's columns are usually as good as today's.

Yeah I second that. I know TOR can be somewhat boring at times, hotbar combat, linear content and planets, as a whole typical theme park symptoms, but there's really nothing else out there even worth spending time on. Tera is just korean grinder F2P lol, GW2 will crash and burn soon enough and settle with a bunch of the fans while the rest of the world don't know about or care about GW2.

Yeah, not remotely interested, personally, in either one of those.

Although, I am curious what AAA MMO ZeniMAX (Bethesda Softworks) is currently working on...

Guys? Guys, where are you going? Hey our game's still cool! Look, this website says it's cool and you all like websites right? Wait, come back!

That's not fair at all. Every developer I know of uses positive feedback and critiques from major gaming news groups as advertisement. BioWare is no different. They're more than allowed to share this and pass it forward to the public.

Edited by Dezzi

Of course they were. Being a "hater" is the new cool or something...

yea, and if the hater knew what it really made them look like, it is far from cool :)

Good read, people play all kinds of games for all kinds of reasons, allot people just need to get the point not everyone thinks like they do... I enjoy many types of games, othe than mmo's, I play what I like and enjoy, I don't care what the sayers of doom have to say or the haters says, I don't even care what the extreme fanboi says.. when it comes down to it I alone choose my game, don't care about reviews, and so called game experts, which I am sure I have more gaming under my belt, than these so called game guru's.. When if ever games are no longer fun I will move on to some other hobby.

That's not fair at all. Every developer I know of uses positive feedback and critiques from major gaming news groups as advertisement. BioWare is no different. They're more than allowed to share this or pass it forward to the public.

But the author sounds so damn desperate you just want to give him a hug by the end of it.

I want to send him a poster of the kitten hanging from a tree captioned "Hang In There".

If you guys don't like the game....when why are you here?

I'm not being snarky, I'm being genuine. Why pay for something you guys seem to hate so much?

I don't hate the game. Lots of people posting criticism don't hate the game. I think a lot of confusion is that people seem to lump criticism or suggestions for improvement with hate. Of course one doesn't require the other; some people genuinely care about the direction of the game and their place in it. There's also a lot of disenfranchisement to go around by people who feel like the game didn't live up to the expectation (we can debate about those expectations another time).

Edited by Dezzi

I don't hate the game. Lots of people posting criticism don't hate the game. I think a lot of confusion is that people seem to lump criticism or suggestions for improvement with hate. Of course one doesn't require the other; some people genuinely care about the direction of the game and their place in it. There's also a lot of disenfranchisement to go around by people who feel like the game didn't live up to the expectation (we can debate about those expectations another time).

Eh, even now I'm suggesting and offering criticism on Expertise without using words like "fail" or "dying" or generally just spewing insults at BioWare.

The difference is huge, and it's rare that someone will call a good, constructively critical post a "QQ".

If you guys don't like the game....when why are you here?

I'm not being snarky, I'm being genuine. Why pay for something you guys seem to hate so much?

Some of us dont hate it but are very unhappy with crap performance

load times that are ridiculous

poor combat (how many times do you gotta hit the key to make the skill work really)

poor fps (even when your system is well above specs and nowadays its not mentioned period by managment)

empty servers!

and plenty of fanbois who say stuff like"just leave" that time is coming and the servers will be even deader shades of SWG returning down to less then a dozen servers worldwide and a year or less before f2p- or worse.

Much as I love Elder Scrolls, pass. I've had my fill of elves and orcs.

As much as I agree about the disdain for that genre, one thing they're already doing right, as pointed out in that article, is that the game will have 3 factions.

As much as I agree about the disdain for that genre, one thing they're already doing right, as pointed out in that article, is that the game will have 3 factions.

This is off-topic, but I found GW2's lack of factions extremely refreshing. I'm not at all convinced that factions are a good idea anymore.

Edited by Dezzi