Gear check For Group Finder, becoming a necessity.

I am a healer at 55. A dps at 55. and a tank at 55.

as a dps I know what awaits me for entering gf queue. That's not what I'm going to rant about.

I'm ranting about the fact that we get (clueless) people queueing up in level 55 HMs with blue level 44 armorings on them. Just had a whole group of em, the most powerful one had 1 69 item, and green implants, and not even the latest ones.

Mandalorian raiders 55 HM. Naturally, cc for this group is overrated, and of course we get shredded when we get 5 salky hounds jumping on us in 1 go.

Keep going in, keep dying. Had enough as we wouldn't stand a chance. But yeah what gets me is that I get the lockout. The only one with the proper gear in it, why is this happening, why does any dps have to wait another hour in GF because of people that... don't know... Can't read?

It is evident most people can't, so yeah,although I believe this was already done, I request once again an automated gear checker for group finder, at least for the high level end game content.

And yeah also if you could implement a queue status for the group finder it would also be appreciated. Thanks for reading me out :)

Edited by Tachenko_Yuri

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No...

why?access to the 55 HMs (28 armors,mods,enhs,hilts,barrels) can be crafted or peeled off the GTN , without stabs, mass manipulation, or any of that fancy ops material required.

Why should I have my flashpoint ruined for people that can't be bothered to read requirements, or are deliberately ignoring them hoping that the rest of the team carries them through?

Still no.

They can be run in Dreadguard/Campaign so the 28 requirement isn't going to work as that gear isn't necessary. Nice sure but not needed. Additionally I would rather not have my alts and guild members alts barred from it when we opt to pull people through.

It's a good idea. Everybody trashed WoW for implementing item level checks for random matchmaking in instanced dungeons and raids, but it's there for a very good reason. You don't have to be overgeared for the instance, but at least be at a bare minimum where it's mathematically possible for you to be a real contributor.

Too many people have sour memories over the (community implemented!) gear checks in Wrath of the Lich King for open raiding. It doesn't happen in WoW anymore, and likely won't happen in Star Wars, but there needs to be a clearly defined line drawn in the sand that walking into a flashpoint with 5-level-below greens means you cannot do your job in a flashpoint.

I am a healer at 55. A dps at 55. and a tank at 55.

as a dps I know what awaits me for entering gf queue. That's not what I'm going to rant about.

I'm ranting about the fact that we get (clueless) people queueing up in level 55 HMs with blue level 44 armorings on them. Just had a whole group of em, the most powerful one had 1 69 item, and green implants, and not even the latest ones.

Mandalorian raiders 55 HM. Naturally, cc for this group is overrated, and of course we get shredded when we get 5 salky hounds jumping on us in 1 go.

Keep going in, keep dying. Had enough as we wouldn't stand a chance. But yeah what gets me is that I get the lockout. The only one with the proper gear in it, why is this happening, why does any dps have to wait another hour in GF because of people that... don't know... Can't read?

It is evident most people can't, so yeah,although I believe this was already done, I request once again an automated gear checker for group finder, at least for the high level end game content.

And yeah also if you could implement a queue status for the group finder it would also be appreciated. Thanks for reading me out :)

You would need a brain_check, a gives_a_crap check, and a_can_walk_and_chew_gum check as well.

It's a casual game. Learn to relax and play more casually. Everything is not a crisis. MMOs present challenges of all sorts, including with the players.

hang on, I have a theory of what's going on here but I'd best double check it.

so basically.. in a 55 HM with me being the dps with 30k HP and full 66, with 2 odd 72 barrels ,and the others having 23k at most on 61 gear , 44 armorings, blue level 50 chest pieces,and green implants,

Are you, by any chance, deducting that i am the one in the wrong? and i should be the one getting (or asking) the kick? Because I kind of doubt of being able to systematically kicking out every other team member .

A guy being in the wrong for being 66+ geared in a 66 required Flashpoint with all the other players vastly undergeared, that is priceless.

Edited by Tachenko_Yuri

It's a casual game. Learn to relax and play more casually. Everything is not a crisis. MMOs present challenges of all sorts, including with the players.

Yeah dps queue is an hour which is a part of the dps game, good enough. But when that hour goes down in the ******* cuz of people that can't read what the requirement is, and most likely don't even know what a requirement is, it tends to tick people off.

I know exactly what OP is frustrated by. But a built-in gear check would

give fuel to the 'leets."

Players in substandard gear are as much of a problem as DPS Sages

calling themselves "healers" and Rage Juggs saying they are tanks.

It's the culture. When you spot the deception, kick them.

everybody's got something to hide except me and my monkey

The group building queue tool is in place because people weren't find groups regularly with players in chat. When the tool begins to be a hassle and pairs you with people but not in a timely manner and/or poor quality players, the only fix is to build a friends list of willing like-minded players or get guilded with people who actually play with you.

While it sounds exclusionary, as long as it's done right (for example, minimum gear level would be campaign or perhaps even rakata), what is so friggin bad about this idea?

Yes votekick is there, but we all know votekick doesn't always fix everything. When there are multiple deficients in a group, when they're all bad and all in the same guild... Sure you can request they kick you so you don't have a LFG cooldown, but if you're DPS you just wasted upwards of 45 minutes waiting just for the privilege of being votekicked, and now you get to wait again and hope things go better this time.

A low gear threshold would prevent only the most egregious offenders from queuing, saving other players from them and also sending them a message that they need to put a little thought into their character before queuing up for certain things.

Of course not all bad groups would be prevented. It's not really possible to implement a skill check, but gear check definitely is possible. Gear check wouldn't guarantee a good group, but only increase the chance of getting one. And if you're waiting a long time in the queue, you want the best odds.

The only good point against is the scenario where you willingly want to take an undergeared character along. It's not very strong though considering how easy it is to get that basic level of gear required of 55 HMs. Do a 50 HM, or 50 operation, or enter the 55 HM not through the group finder. It's not like queuing 55 HMs is the fast-track to gear anyway. It's actually the abysmally slow track, and getting bad groups just makes it a bit slower.

People like to just say no, or to come up with a hundred reasons THEY don't want it. The same thing happened in WoW with the gear score issue.

You get under-geared people trying things to high for them for whatever reason (be it the thrill, experience, loot, or just not knowing, whatever) Now with guilds, friends, etc more power to them for trying it, but when 3 random people who didn't agree ahead of time have to suffer and wipe over and over because a tanks dies easy, a healer cant keep up or a dps cant beat the enrage timer just so that 1 under-geared person doesn't feel bad :( , is foolish.

Soon what happened in WoW will be here, the group forms, the Tank or Healer who has good gear says "I'm not moving til we remove the XXXXX with the green mods and crappy gear". People say screw you, so he stands there til hes kicked and the whole groups waits for a replacement which often takes time, eventually falling apart. Finally people realize that's going to happen and just decide it isn't worth the trouble and vote kick the bad geared person so they can get the daily done.

Having ANY sort of gear score/ranking system, even if fairly relaxed only makes things a bit easier on people all around. If you have lower gear, most folks don't want to be the one getting ridiculed and yelled at that they suck, and might not know when they are ready to move onto harder runs, so a system saying "hey i got to (whatever) level 200, it says i should be ready to do hard mode 55's YAY!"

My opinion of course, even a basic gear system would save many people (on both sides) a good bit of headaches.

Having ANY sort of gear score/ranking system, even if fairly relaxed only makes things a bit easier on people all around. If you have lower gear, most folks don't want to be the one getting ridiculed and yelled at that they suck, and might not know when they are ready to move onto harder runs, so a system saying "hey i got to (whatever) level 200, it says i should be ready to do hard mode 55's YAY!"

Yeah this is also a good point. People say a simple gear check would empower gear score elitists, but deflating them is more likely. You usually see them insisting people vastly overgear the content (because these elitists are interestingly enough usually terrible players), and when there's no recommendation or gear threshold to enter the FP, it can be tough to defend yourself against them.

But if the game bars entry to some but deems you worthy, you have a nice number to point at. Sure you might still fail for skill reasons, but the group has to at least give you a chance before deciding that. Very little is actually needed to complete a 55 HM FP or SM Op, but I've seen plenty of people denied (especially to Op runs) because people really don't understand that.

If gear check isn't doable, I would at least make the armor rating requirement easily visible. Right now you have to hover over the head of the flashpoint list, and read a small wall of text to find out what the armor rating is. Most people just starting have no idea this is even there. If they put in 55 Hard Mode Flashpoint (Armor Rating: xxx) right at the top, it might help out some.

I agree completely, a minimum gear check is needed. You could even make it optional that way if you want don't want to use it, you don't have to. You can still take the under geared guildies thru without having to run to the instance entrance.

I went with my alt Healer with mostly rakata gear but I only went with an over geared guild tank even then it was tough. If the tank was not highly geared I would not be able to heal the instance so I do think a gear check is key to provide a good experience for everyone involved.

Even as a DPS; if I see the tank and healer are both not properly geared, I drop the instance and go back on the long wait queue. If one of them is over geared then I will stay. One instance, the under geared tank died in every boss and I end up tanking the rest of the fight. The over geared healer could not keep him up. The healed mentioned, it was easier healing me (merc) than the tank, granted I am mostly 72s.

As a healer, if the tank is not geared to with 61s and some 66s, I drop group. I personally require a certain gear level. I currently have 2 healers, sorc and agent.

This can also apply for Operations which is key to the success of the whole team. Without the gear, dps cause enrage, tanks and healers cause wipes unable to the successful completion.

This game is moving in a casual direction. If there ever was a time where a gear check system would have been prudent, that time has passed IMO.

Vote kick serves this purpose, abet not directly. A gear check mechanism is not casual friendly, and therefore would not be a good addition to the game IMO.

Average gear rating of 140. I would be happy. I may be in optimized 72s/69s, but I like running flashpoints and I do not mind running with undergeared or inexperienced players. It presents me with a challenge and an opportunity to make my guild look good for helping people out. However, there comes a point where it becomes ridiculous. You can faceroll HM 50s for easy gear. You can do dailies for better gear. You can spend planetary comms for passable mods. There are a lot of avenues to gearing up, and there really is no excuse for people to be running around in lvl44 blues. I personally kicked people like that when the level cap was 50, and instances now are even harder for sub-par gear. A relaxed gear check would be very nice...

Vote kick serves this purpose, abet not directly. A gear check mechanism is not casual friendly, and therefore would not be a good addition to the game IMO.

In the case scenario I presented in the thread. I heavily doubt I could've vote kicked 3 people out of the pug, being myself the only ****er there with the required gear on.

hang on, I have a theory of what's going on here but I'd best double check it.

so basically.. in a 55 HM with me being the dps with 30k HP and full 66, with 2 odd 72 barrels ,and the others having 23k at most on 61 gear , 44 armorings, blue level 50 chest pieces,and green implants,

Are you, by any chance, deducting that i am the one in the wrong? and i should be the one getting (or asking) the kick? Because I kind of doubt of being able to systematically kicking out every other team member .

A guy being in the wrong for being 66+ geared in a 66 required Flashpoint with all the other players vastly undergeared, that is priceless.

I think what was mean was if you are correctly geared but the other three are not, ask them to vote kick you, since you cannot vote kick them and then you wont get the lock out for dropping the group. Not that you were wrong but as a was of avoiding the lock out when the situation is hopeless

If gear check isn't doable, I would at least make the armor rating requirement easily visible. Right now you have to hover over the head of the flashpoint list, and read a small wall of text to find out what the armor rating is. Most people just starting have no idea this is even there. If they put in 55 Hard Mode Flashpoint (Armor Rating: xxx) right at the top, it might help out some.

People that conceptually understand armor rating don't go to 55's in 40 something blues. The selfish people we are talking about don't even understand what they are doing to the group and how other people's time is being wasted.