The Community: your opinion

aguamoose

Would you say the games community is a good one or a bad one?

I can only speak for myself and my own experiences but after rolling on an RP server I find the community to be very volatile. Sure there are very nice people in the game, but the more and more i play the more nasty and intolerant i find people to be.

So what has your experience been playing with people on the servers?

People who only use guild chat need not answer.

I can only speak for myself and my own experiences but after rolling on an RP server I find the community to be very volatile. Sure there are very nice people in the game, but the more and more i play the more nasty and intolerant i find people to be.

I don't know you and you might be a great player, and you haven't said specifically where you're encountering these people; but I will say, in all honesty, that when I read something like the above quote, I tend to think the person who wrote it needs to get better at the game and figure out what he's doing wrong in the group. I almost never run into "nasty and intolerant" people, but when players start to screw up, don't focus fire targets, haven't learned how to work within a group, they tend to run into more nasty and intolerant people.

I don't know you and you might be a great player, and you haven't said specifically where you're encountering these people; but I will say, in all honesty, that when I read something like the above quote, I tend to think the person who wrote it needs to get better at the game and figure out what he's doing wrong in the group. I almost never run into "nasty and intolerant" people, but when players start to screw up, don't focus fire targets, haven't learned how to work within a group, they tend to run into more nasty and intolerant people.

But like I said, keeping my companion alive, as in some elite mobs do too much DPS for me to keep him alive. But as it happens I did a quick respec and now very content in my class. i never mentioned group play at all. But there we have it. People assume just because someone is having problems they are a bad player. I simply came across a bad game mechanic and overcame it.

Edited by aguamoose

It's the same as any other community, online or otherwise.

It's mostly full of decent people who are just minding their own collective businesses.

Then there is the vocal minority. Sadly the most vocal also tend to be the most...well...petulant. They cry wolf at every little hiccup and what's even more sad is that they somehow convince people to believe them.

But like I said, keeping my companion alive, as in some elite mobs do too much DPS for me to keep him alive. But as it happens I did a quick respec and now very content in my class. i never mentioned group play at all. But there we have it. People assume just because someone is having problems they are a bad player. I simply came across a bad game mechanic and overcame it.

"Like you said?"

Forgive me, but I don't see where you said that previously.

lol ok my bad, i just made a similar more detailed post on the pcg forums.

If you care, here is a c&p

Maybe it is my own fault for rolling on a RP server. But it seems this game has one of the worst communities I have ever seen. And that is after 4 years of CS, 4 years of WoW and 48 hours of LoL.

Seriously, I have come across maybe 5 friendly people to chat to out of maybe 150 people in total I have interacted with in this game.

I know sometimes I let my emotions get the better of me and I can be a bit sharp with people, but I asked today in server "Is any other Commando medic having trouble keeping their tank companion alive against elites?" and got responses like "no, you just dont know your class", "Commando's are faceroll, you are obviously doing something wrong", and then a few about my mothers sexual orientation and telling me to go back to WoW. To make matters worse I did a /who and nobody that answered actually was a trooper, let alone a commando.

I like a bit of banter as much as the next guy, but seriously. This game is going down the tubes.

Edited by aguamoose

Just like any gaming community, it's a mixed bag. I've come across some great people while out questing or teaming up for heroics and flashpoints. I've also regularly turned off general chat because there was so much nonsense being spewed about. Some people have gone out of their way to help with datacrons. Others have pulled a ninja move on a quest item while I killed the boss guarding it. Being on Harbinger, I actually don't mind the que's due to it being the unofficial Oceanic server because I'm on the West Coast and usually play late at night. I love playing with the Aussies because they are usually the most polite and fun players I come across...it was that way on CoH too.

In-game community: Excellent, except when the planet is empty as it often is for me.

Forum community: Possibly the worst ever, mostly populated by hardcore fanboys and, on the other end of the spectrum, people saying this game sucks because it is too much like WoW/not enough like WoW.

The community is fine, there are good and bad people in every community so you can't say that there is such thing as a perfect community, but this one is bearable, after a week or two the trolls will hopefully get tired of complaining and move onto another game, or actually play SWTOR and stop trolling the forums. Either way, things will get better...

So far from what I have seen the community is better than most of the other MMO's I have played, but it is also really new yet and a lot of people haven't joined it yet. So as of right now the community is good, no matter what though, you're going to have your idiots running around. So far it's pretty good, but you will have to ask that again in about 5 months or so.

Community is the most casual of any game, very close minded and has no clue how to CC or anything properly (which sometimes makes dungeons a pain) because they just dont play enough or played games (like wow) "casually" and think that makes them a hardcore expert. Its quite obvious when you pair up with someone who knows their **** and it makes stuff SO much easier.

emerging community on my RP server has been very pleasant so far. I had good time grouping with people, there seems to be a segment of Monthy Python and Star trek fans, I don't think I've been a single completely silent group so far. in general people are helpful, i haven't ran into a lot of RP so far, but I have seen some...

we'll see how it keeps developing. communities are not born, they are made over time.

edited. I used to know someone named Sheezecake in WoW...

also - some people are new and/or inexperienced. they just need guidance and a bit of patience.

Edited by Jeweledleah

In-game community: Excellent, except when the planet is empty as it often is for me.

Forum community: Possibly the worst ever, mostly populated by hardcore fanboys and, on the other end of the spectrum, people saying this game sucks because it is too much like WoW/not enough like WoW.

The hostility and general all-round negativity of this forums is so not in-tune with how this game plays, how the community is online that I'm wondering if something fishy is going on.

Honestly and seriously, I'm beginning to wonder if there are a significant number of people on here either working at, or getting paid by, rival MMO companies to generate bad publicity and press for the game.

Poisoning forums is a known (though underhanded and potentially illegal) business pracitce, and I doubt that a company like Blizzard would stoop to it. But I wouldn't put it past some of the smaller MMO companies (after all, for all we focus on SWTOR vs WOW the damage this game is doing to WoW is much less significant than what it's doing by taking subs from games that were already quite small to start with).

The hostility and general all-round negativity of this forums is so not in-tune with how this game plays, how the community is online that I'm wondering if something fishy is going on.

Honestly and seriously, I'm beginning to wonder if there are a significant number of people on here either working at, or getting paid by, rival MMO companies to generate bad publicity and press for the game.

Poisoning forums is a known (though underhanded and potentially illegal) business pracitce, and I doubt that a company like Blizzard would stoop to it. But I wouldn't put it past some of the smaller MMO companies (after all, for all we focus on SWTOR vs WOW the damage this game is doing to WoW is much less significant than what it's doing by taking subs from games that were already quite small to start with).

You my friend are making the bioware community look retarded as can be with this post.

The only "community" I've encountered are dbags who run ahead of me while I fight to grab a scavenge or quest click thing, and then I have to stand there and wait for it to respawn.

No one buffing others, healing others, helping others. They just run by, and dbag you.

My personal experience:

I play a trooper, now a mando on the Sith Wyrm server.

Ord Mantell was full of fun people to talk to, if not as much as beta (ORANGE PIXEL. NEVER FORGET .). Everyone answered my nub questions farily reasonably, and there was only one idiot who kept trying to troll us by giving a play by play on every move they made. I grouped during the final sep base with a guy. He was pretty cool, barely knew how to play his class - just like I was learning. We taught each other new things about the UI and our class.

Eventually, it took me three groups to get through the first rep flashpoint (Esseles). We all kind of assumed that you had to start back at the beginning after a total party kill the first two times (noooooobs :p). THe third group said "what the hey" and ran back in, and we learned what actually happens. All three groups knew at least the basics of how to group and function as a team.

Coruscant was looooooooong, and I grouped quite often for various heroics and such. Only had 2 guys with the typical WoW-tard attitude in roughly 15 groups of 4 people. People in general chatwere fairly relaxed, and would answer any questions asked of them with a minimum of snarking.

I'm starting Taris. Apparently everyone dropped 15 IQ point when they recieved their starship. I'm working through the second zone, grouped 3 times, and nobody knows how to focus fire, keep aggro off of the medic, check when people are ready, keep aggro off of themselves, or PLAY THEIR CLASS.

Just my two cents.

The only "community" I've encountered are dbags who run ahead of me while I fight to grab a scavenge or quest click thing, and then I have to stand there and wait for it to respawn.

No one buffing others, healing others, helping others. They just run by, and dbag you.

Yep. Seen that many times so far.

@OP: Same community as any other AAA MMO.

Both on the forums and in the game you have:

• People who are helpful.
  • People who try their best to be complete douchbags. Which includes stealing nodes / mission items from people fighting next to them.
  • People who jump on the "WoW Bashing" bandwagon at every opportunity, whilst telling anyone who uses any form of WoW-esque reference to "go back to WoW".

Edited by Tarka

You my friend are making the bioware community look retarded as can be with this post.

In what way? I seriously think this is a possibility. PR departments of less scrupulous companies have been discovered altering both their own and competitors Wikipedia pages, posting negative comments on their competitors forums while posing as customers etc.

I find it slighty easier to believe that this might be going on in SOME of the posts here than to think that ALL the negativity and stupidity I see in a lot of the threads is from real, genuine people that are really that nasty and idiotic as their posts make them appear.

Maybe I should have less faith in humanity, though.