1.2 = no actual "new" races?

Saos

So. Bioware said "new" races, but nothing really new is evident from the information released so far, rather the release of old faction exclusive races to the opposite side.

What is it exactly? Because "new" races gives off the impression as something never seen before (in game) rather than what we seem to be getting.

Don't get me wrong... its something. But when I purchase a previously owned car, while it may be new to me it still isn't a "new" car.

"With Game Update 1.2, the Legacy system has been greatly expanded on. Players can now tie their different characters together inside of a Legacy family tree, and those characters will be able to unlock unique abilities for themselves, and for other characters in their Legacy. Over time, as players increase their Legacy level they'll be able to unlock new "convenience items" for their ship, which include an on-board mailbox and Global Trade Network terminal, among other items.

With Legacy, players can also unlock new species for any character class in their Legacy."

Yes, it's badly worded, and not the first time they've done that. When it was first announced they simply said "new races". When we hear "new races" we think "ooo let it be Trando, no no, calamarian!!" What they mean "same races, new classes". What they should have said was "expanded class/race combinations" and we'd have heard "Undead Pallies, YES!!" I mean...... "Sith Jedi, yesssssss"

"With Game Update 1.2, the Legacy system has been greatly expanded on. Players can now tie their different characters together inside of a Legacy family tree, and those characters will be able to unlock unique abilities for themselves, and for other characters in their Legacy. Over time, as players increase their Legacy level they'll be able to unlock new "convenience items" for their ship, which include an on-board mailbox and Global Trade Network terminal, among other items.

With Legacy, players can also unlock new species for any character class in their Legacy."

Yes, it's badly worded, and not the first time they've done that. When it was first announced they simply said "new races". When we hear "new races" we think "ooo let it be Trando, no no, calamarian!!" What they mean "same races, new classes". What they should have said was "expanded class/race combinations" and we'd have heard "Undead Pallies, YES!!" I mean...... "Sith Jedi, yesssssss"

I don't think there is a way to word it where some people would just think what they want to think and believe it means new races for the game.

Personally, it was obvious to me they meant race unlocks for classes using existing races. Why? Because if they were actually adding new races to the game you would see webcast previews about it all over the place because new races added to the game has very high marketing value to it.

Edited by Andryah

With Legacy, players can also unlock new species for any character class in their Legacy.

The problem word here is new. Without it the sentence makes perfect sense to what the legacy system does now.

Edited by chaosvernon

I don't think there is a way to word it where some people would just think what they want to think and believe it means new races for the game.

Personally, it was obvious to me they meant race unlocks for classes using existing races. Why? Because if they were actually adding new races to the game you would see webcast previews about it all over the place because new races added to the game has very high marketing value to it.

There isn't a way to word it? How about, "species previously only playable for other classes."

They're intentionally skirting the line between obvious and confusion. Clearly they wanted to use the word "new" for it's impact and excitement value. This is exactly what people refer to when they say something is hyped. It's a marketing ploy and, unfortunately, it works on people.

They're not doing anything like that. By "new" they mean it's new to that class. They said "new species for any character class..." which means that a new species for that class that was not previously playable for that class.

To add a new species means to bring in a new voiceover which would take a long time and be expensive.

They're not doing anything like that. By "new" they mean it's new to that class. They said "new species for any character class..." which means that a new species for that class that was not previously playable for that class.

To add a new species means to bring in a new voiceover which would take a long time and be expensive.

Wait, why would that require new voice over? A pureblood marauder sounds exactly like a human one, and a zabrak one...

Edited by Dezzi

Wait, why would that require new voice over? A pureblood marauder sounds exactly like a human one, and a zabrak one...

voice over would be the same but cinematics for a new game race is not trivial to integrate into all the quest lines.

Edited by Andryah

The problem word here is new. Without it the sentence makes perfect sense to what the legacy system does now.

Like I said, any way they word it someone is going to read into it what they want to hear. :rolleyes:

Exactly.

Please re-read my post. I said to bring in a new species meaning a new playable race that is not already in the game. I mean, they'll probably recycle other voiceovers in the game for it, but if they were professional about it they would make a new voiceover for a new species.

For example: Bring in Trandoshans and you need a new voiceover. I don't know if Trandoshans are capable of speaking English (or whatever it's called in the Star Wars universe) but you would need a newvoice over anyway.

Edited by WNxAres

Please re-read my post. I said to bring in a new species meaning a new playable race that is not already in the game. I mean, they'll probably recycle other voiceovers in the game for it, but if they were professional about it they would make a new voiceover for a new species.

For example: Bring in Trandoshans and you need a new voiceover. I don't know if Trandoshans are capable of speaking English (or whatever it's called in the Star Wars universe) but you would need a newvoice over anyway.

There are other species that wouldn't require new voice over. For example, one of the most popular and requested species is togruta, and they wouldn't require any new voice work.

The fact of the matter is that it's possible, but the developers have chosen not to go that route for reasons unknown.

There are other species that wouldn't require new voice over. For example, one of the most popular and requested species is togruta, and they wouldn't require any new voice work.

Yeah, they would require a lot of new voice work. The dialog for all the quest cinematics does not exist for them. Neither do the cinematics (which need to account for every appearance and gear variations rendering through into the cutscene cinematics).

It's not trivial.

Bioware is just now getting to where they have most of the bugs scrubbed out of the exisiting cutscenes.

Edited by Andryah

Yeah, they would require a lot of new voice work. The dialog for all the quest cinematics does not exist for them. Neither do the cinematics (which need to account for every appearance and gear variations rendering through into the cutscene cinematics).

It's not trivial.

Bioware is just now getting to where they have most of the bugs scrubbed out of the exisiting cutscenes.

How do we know the cinematics just don't swap out the models? Meaning, there's a frame that runs the animations and the game grabs your character and sets them on the frame, running them through the animations. Evidence of this being the case are the many NPCs in the world who use the same mannerisms we see in cut scenes, but wearing clothes and armor players don't have access to. The cut scenes are NOT pre-rendered; they are in real-time.

And why would that require new voice work? I don't understand how adding in togruta (or other basic-speaking species) would necessitate new recordings...

Edited by Dezzi

Like I said, any way they word it someone is going to read into it what they want to hear. :rolleyes:

"With Legacy, players can also unlock new species for any character class in their Legacy."

Appearantly you missed this ^, by chaosvernon. The sentence becomes remarkably accurate without that word in there.

It's not trivial.

Every race/class combination uses the same voice actor anyway and I believe the majority of unplayable races in game speak basic at some point (or at least can from a lore standpoint), so that pretty much demolishes the "new voice work" argument. There simply would be none. New voice work with the model that exists only comes in to play with new classes, which this discussion was not about.

Do you honestly believe they created different cinematics for every race/detail/gear option we have in game? Do you know how many thousands of combinations you are talking about just with what we have in game? If a company like Bioware could not figure out a more cost effective way than that of creating those cinematics, I doubt we would have seen this game to launch.

Edited by Saos

They've specifically said that 1.2 will just open up current races to classes that are currently unavailable to them (when you complete criteria.)

New species that are currently not playable are something they'd like to do in the future for legacy unlocks though.

The fact of the matter is that it's possible, but the developers have chosen not to go that route for reasons unknown.

Add-on.

Blind fanboyism is very depressing. Especially when not even defending BioWare in a logical and intelligent manner. Wish I knew how to ignore people on this forum. But I digress. Apparently there is a way to word what they said appropriately as it was presented in this thread. And yes, it's quite silly to believe each cinematic was created which each different piece of gear, etc. White Knighting seems to have permanently damaged a part of that poster's brain.

Hello everyone!

We know that a lot of players want to discuss Game Update 1.2 but are asking that conversation in the General Discussion forum be kept to this thread. Should you wish to discuss a specific topic in detail please use the Public Test Server forum or the appropriate sub-forum elsewhere.

Thanks for understanding. We look forward to seeing you on the test server!