why are people freaking out about Ilum in 1.7?

skiibyrd

Serioiusly, do people not visit and quest on Ilum already... a planet where there already is PvP area's, and a place you can be steamrolled if your not careful? I would also like to point out, to those with concern, that Ilum had a specific and DEDICATED place for PvP area last time, it was not the whole planet, and it seems like a lot of people with concern are just freaking out for no reason.

*Get some recruit gear

*Prepare yourself for PvP (and if your playing on a PvP server, then please DO NOT complain about open world PvP, its what you chose to do)

*Practice, and play some PvP matches... it isnt brain science

People have gotten too comforable with this game, and are used to sitting on the fleet for most of their play time, a place where they are safe. If I had it my way, the fleet would be destroyed, and you would have the chance of being attacked anywhere, at anytime. If they do this right, it could really add a very important element to this game that its been lacking for almost a whole year.

Those of us who have been here since the beginning, and experienced Ilum and its open would PvP would probably agree that the issue of it being released is NOT you being attacked, its going to be if the engine can support the large scale battles, and not play at only .5 framerate, then crash your game.

Edited by skiibyrd

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had it my way, the fleet would be destroyed, and you would have the chance of being attacked anywhere, at anytime. If they do this right, it could really add a very important element to this game that its been lacking for almost a whole year.

So if you had your way you would ruin this game for most of its playerbase and kill it off so that you and your friends can have a few days/weeks of fun before leaving because there is nobody around?

forcing people to do pvp in order to do pve content on a pve server is what the problem is. DUH!!!

its all over every planet, everywhere already!! lol, you go through numberous PvP areas through the course of leveling, so no, its not an issue.

PLUS...

Ilum missions are not required to complete your main storyline, its basically just additional story for fun, and a place to get in a couple extra dailies.

Don't understand the outcry myself, yes PvP might be forced unto PvE players now, but it's not like PvE is never forced upon PvP players, people shouldn't hate on the developers trying to get people to experience both parts of the game

You knew fine well the game was mostly about PvE when you bought it, which is the difference. Also I don't think you have to kill a single mob unless you want to, so I don't see your point.

Yeah it's ridiculous. Ilum IS A PVP PLANET. It has PVP objectives and valor boosts on the pvp side. If you have to go there for the new event it's to encourage PVP.

We've had 2 PVE events. It's about time we get a PVP one.

I completely agree, I primarily play PvE, but I think a PvP event will be a lot of fun, and will make the game a little more exciting again.

Maybe people just need to consider that it's a PVP based event (and it is, based off it's location) and not a PvE event. Just because it has a PvE boss in it, doesn't make it strictly PvE content.

Quit whining and either deal with the PvP or deal with the fact you're not going to do all the PvE content because it's actually PvP based content.

You knew fine well the game was mostly about PvE when you bought it, which is the difference. Also I don't think you have to kill a single mob unless you want to, so I don't see your point.

Hey, I do PvE and PvP, I'm actually mostly a PvE player, but I fully understand that there needs to be a balance, if you're a "I only do PvE" person of course you will miss content, same as the "I only do PvP" crowd will

Serioiusly, do people not visit and quest on Ilum already... a planet where there already is PvP area's, and a place you can be steamrolled if your not careful? I would also like to point out, to those with concern, that Ilum had a specific place for PvP last time, it was not the whole planet, and it seems like a lot of people with concern are just freaking out for no reason.

*Get some recruit gear

*Prepare yourself for PvP (and if your playing on a PvP server, then please DO NOT complain about open world PvP, its what you chose to do)

*Practice, and play some PvP matches... it isnt brain science

People have gotten too comforable with this game, and are used to sitting on the fleet for most of their play time, a place where they are safe. If I had it my way, the fleet would be destroyed, and you would have the chance of being attacked anywhere, at anytime. If they do this right, it could really add a very important element to this game that its been lacking for almost a whole year.

Those of us who have been here since the beginning, and experienced Ilum and its open would PvP would probably agree that the issue of it being released is NOT you being attacked, its going to be if the engine can support the large scale battles, and not play at only .5 framerate, then crash your game.

I really wish we wouldnt have a new thread about this every 10 mins ...

here are some facts you ALL have ignored and are causing alot of this issue.

the quote says nothing about pvp at all

Game Update 1.7: Return of the Gree is coming soon to The Old Republic™, allowing players to experience brand new in-game content, including a limited time event and an exciting new way to progress your character.

Explore the Planet Ilum to unveil a new Event, Relics of the Gree! A mysterious ancient Gree starship called “the Gray Secant” has appeared over Ilum’s Western Ice Shelf. Those who are brave enough will get the chance to help the Gree and face off against a powerful foe waiting in the heart of the Gree vessel. Republic and Imperial forces that finish this mission will earn exclusive Gree technology, including highly advanced weapon and armor appearances!

where in all of that does it say PVP?

NO WHERE ... .let me explain what it DOES say

1) the foes we are facing are either Gree or enemies of the Gree

2) It takes place on the planet of illum in a new area called "Ilum's Western Ice Shelf" like section X or BlackHole

3) Both republic and Imperials will have access to this same area like black hole and section x

4) both republic and imperials will have different looks and named tech to encourage cross faction involvement

5) Bioware has stated MANY TIMES that people will NEVER BE FORCED TO PVP ... even in the HK parts issue you dont have to pvp ... you just have to run to the vendor buy the thing and leave.

finally ... PVPers have to really start thinking with there heads and not with there epeen. The majority of players in this game have no interest what so ever in PVP. The majority rules when it comes to MMO companies cause they dont care if they lose the minority cause there spots can always be filled with more of the majority.

As someone who hates PVP ... and does it quite a bit anyway for PVE gear and crafting matts... I can tell you no one is going to buy recruit gear for a freaking Event. No one is gonna PVP just cause there is an event ... no one is gonna love this game more for being ganked cause sorry to say even with recruit gear your not going to achieve objectives against people in full warhero unless the objective is to die alot.

WAKE THE HELL UP .... stop trolling ... stop being ignorant to the truths of this game .... and please realize for petes sake that PVP is not the be all and end all of this game..... PVE is ... sorry to say.

I really wish we wouldnt have a new thread about this every 10 mins ...

here are some facts you ALL have ignored and are causing alot of this issue.

the quote says nothing about pvp at all

where in all of that does it say PVP?

NO WHERE ... .let me explain what it DOES say

1) the foes we are facing are either Gree or enemies of the Gree

2) It takes place on the planet of illum in a new area called "Ilum's Western Ice Shelf" like section X or BlackHole

3) Both republic and Imperials will have access to this same area like black hole and section x

4) both republic and imperials will have different looks and named tech to encourage cross faction involvement

5) Bioware has stated MANY TIMES that people will NEVER BE FORCED TO PVP ... even in the HK parts issue you dont have to pvp ... you just have to run to the vendor buy the thing and leave.

finally ... PVPers have to really start thinking with there heads and not with there epeen. The majority of players in this game have no interest what so ever in PVP. The majority rules when it comes to MMO companies cause they dont care if they lose the minority cause there spots can always be filled with more of the majority.

As someone who hates PVP ... and does it quite a bit anyway for PVE gear and crafting matts... I can tell you no one is going to buy recruit gear for a freaking Event. No one is gonna PVP just cause there is an event ... no one is gonna love this game more for being ganked cause sorry to say even with recruit gear your not going to achieve objectives against people in full warhero unless the objective is to die alot.

WAKE THE HELL UP .... stop trolling ... stop being ignorant to the truths of this game .... and please realize for petes sake that PVP is not the be all and end all of this game..... PVE is ... sorry to say.

Do you even play the game? Recruit gear is free. Also Ilum is a PVP planet so I guarantee this will contain PVP. If you don't like it don't participate.

And your Majority/Minority comment is completely wrong. They cater to the PVE crowd a majority of the time. What is wrong with 1 PVP event on the PVP planet?

Edited by dakisback

Don't understand the outcry myself, yes PvP might be forced unto PvE players now, but it's not like PvE is never forced upon PvP players, people shouldn't hate on the developers trying to get people to experience both parts of the game

PVE isnt forced on PVP players ... at all .. unless your talking lvls 1-10 ... once you get to lvl 10 you can pvp all the way to cap and never do any pve content at all... getting to level 10 is what maybe 4 hours? and god forbit you actually have to do some story in a STORY BASED MMO RPG.

PVP is the smallest part of the game .. its the minority that enjoy it ... if anything they should be getting more pvpers to do more pve content ... that would lower queue times which is the biggest reason people are leaving the game.

PLUS PVP IS BROKEN BEYOND BELIEF.

Because people cannot solo queue for ranked and people CAN 8 man queue for unranked ... you get these epeen losers in full Ware hero elite gear ganking people in PVP unranked.

want to make more people PVP ... force people wearing ANY Warhero elite gear to be able to queue for Ranked only and let them queue solo. That way people can earn there pvp gear in unranked matches that are fair.

you dont shove it down there throat in an event. AND read my last post ... this even is not PVP at all

My guess is the "I only do PvE" crowd sells their recruit set for the money

I mix it with my incomplete tionese/rakata set until I can get better. Put the rest on a companion if there's one who wears the same gear I do.

Edited by DarthLeeloo

Do you even play the game? Recruit gear is free. Also Ilum is a PVP planet so I guarantee this will contain PVP. If you don't like it don't participate.

And your Majority/Minority comment is completely wrong. They cater to the PVE crowd a majority of the time. What is wrong with 1 PVP event on the PVP planet?

1. Recruit gear is *not* free if you're not a brand-new 50. You may've bought the token, turned it in, and taken the credits months ago like many players did.

2. Ilum *was* a PvP planet. Nowhere in the dev posts the previous poster mentioned does it say that it'll *stay* that way. According to those same dev posts, there is no guarantee that the Western Shelf will remain a PvP area. Just because it is NOW doesn't mean it will be in 1.7.

3. They cater to the PvE crowd because they outnumber the PvP crowd by most estimates 10 to 1. We'd see the same amount of QQ if there were a faction-specific event.

So if you had your way you would ruin this game for most of its playerbase and kill it off so that you and your friends can have a few days/weeks of fun before leaving because there is nobody around?

and how would this ruin the game for most of the playerbase?... Whats runing the playerbase is aways sitting on the fleet half the time you are playing for the game, and having the game be so predictible. The fleet is boring, was one of the biggest mistakes of this game, I really hope it goes, and the put the "Fleets" (or what they offer) on each factions captial worlds like they were in beta, that was awesome.

PVE isnt forced on PVP players ... at all .. unless your talking lvls 1-10 ... once you get to lvl 10 you can pvp all the way to cap and never do any pve content at all... getting to level 10 is what maybe 4 hours? and god forbit you actually have to do some story in a STORY BASED MMO RPG.

PVP is the smallest part of the game .. its the minority that enjoy it ... if anything they should be getting more pvpers to do more pve content ... that would lower queue times which is the biggest reason people are leaving the game.

PLUS PVP IS BROKEN BEYOND BELIEF.

Because people cannot solo queue for ranked and people CAN 8 man queue for unranked ... you get these epeen losers in full Ware hero elite gear ganking people in PVP unranked.

want to make more people PVP ... force people wearing ANY Warhero elite gear to be able to queue for Ranked only and let them queue solo. That way people can earn there pvp gear in unranked matches that are fair.

you dont shove it down there throat in an event. AND read my last post ... this even is not PVP at all

Since you ignored this in the other thread...

NEW RECURRING EVENT: RELICS OF THE GREE

Explore Ilum's contested area in the Western Ice Shelf to uncover the mysterious purpose of the Gray Secant, an enormous ancient Gree starship.

Contested in the Western Ice Shelf of Ilum means PVP. The western part of Ilum right now is PVP.

and how would this ruin the game for most of the playerbase?... Whats runing the playerbase is aways sitting on the fleet half the time you are playing for the game, and having the game be so predictible. The fleet is boring, was one of the biggest mistakes of this game, I really hope it goes, and the put the "Fleets" (or what they offer) on each factions captial worlds like they were in beta, that was awesome.

I agree the fleets were a bad idea. They really did water this game down with the fleets and the removal of the ability to lose companions.

Since you ignored this in the other thread...

NEW RECURRING EVENT: RELICS OF THE GREE

Explore Ilum's contested area in the Western Ice Shelf to uncover the mysterious purpose of the Gray Secant, an enormous ancient Gree starship.

Contested in the Western Ice Shelf of Ilum means PVP. The western part of Ilum right now is PVP.

The entire planet of Corellia is "contested" .. so is Belsavis. Contested could simply mean sides vying for control. It doesn't necessarily mean PvP objective-oriented.

Fact is, until a dev comes out and SAYS what it is, or we play it, nothing we say will matter, so what's the point?

The entire planet of Corellia is "contested" .. so is Belsavis. Contested could simply mean sides vying for control. It doesn't necessarily mean PvP objective-oriented.

Fact is, until a dev comes out and SAYS what it is, or we play it, nothing we say will matter, so what's the point?

Dude the western Ice shelf was always a pvp area. It still is as I go there to get the valor boost like I used to do a year ago. All they day was remove the daily and weekly pvp quests in the area. They did not change anything else. If they put stuff in a pvp faction based objective oriented area that pvp level 50 players have been asking for almost a year, what would you call it?

I honestly think they should create a new map specifically for pvp and I hope that is what they do. As of now, the western part of Ilum is still open pvp. They could turn off that auto flag and have the area be pve now. The new pvp area will be a place you have to take a shuttle to just like black hole.