So I got an invite to the guild leader summit...

joykill

Hi guys

I lead a very small guild (seven extemely active players), and when the guild leader summit announcement arrived I threw in an application just for fun. A few days ago I got the invite; I was seriously suprised that BW would consider such a small guild at all. To me that says that the event is not only to butter up the leaders of the main HC raiding guilds, but that they actually do want input from the full spectrum of their player base.

Now, why am I writing about this here? Well, it is simple: I live in Europe, and I cannot afford the trip across the pond on such short notice. My reason for reaching out to all of you is simple: I need tips and help on trying to find a sponsor/sponsors for my trip. To make things clear, I am not asking anyone for handouts, I am simply trying to find a way to earn my way over there.

The best way for me to give something back is probably as a reporter for the community, and especially for the European segment since there will likely be few europeans at the summit. Since the event includes free wifi, I would love to try to do some kind of live broadcast of the discussions if possible. At the absolute minimum there would be a blog, photos and, if possible, interviews with BW people and other guild leaders.

This is the absolute basic idea for the trip, but I want input from the community as to what YOU want: To be honest, I LOVE that I even have the opportunity to go to Austin, but seeing the frustration seething on the forums I would consider it an honor to try to bring your questions to the people responsible for this awesome but troubled game. For me personally, a trip to the summit without any other purpose than to mingle and drink beer with other gamers is pointless: the cost of this adventure would get me a years supply of beer (well... at least a month :)) and some serious RnR right here in Europe.

OK, if you read this far I think I have succeeded in getting at least a bit of your attention, and I bet you are wondering who I am and what my credentials are. I will try to make it short and to the point!

I am 35 years old, I was born and raised in Sweden, and I am currently living in Stockholm with my wife and our dog. I am a welder by profession, but I have a background in academics with about four years in the university (two of them in Chicago) studying cognitive psychology.

I started playing computer games when I was five years old, and obviously got stuck in it ;-) I started playing online games somewhere around 1996, and from there to here I went through Quake, Quake Team Fortress, Half-Life,Counter Strike, Anarchy Online, WoW, EVE, WoW again, and now SWTOR. These games are the ones I consider having spent too much time on, and thus have made the biggest impact on me in one way or another (80% positive I should add). I have also poked around with other MMOs, like City of Heroes, Guild Wars, Rift, Warhammer and a bunch on the lower end of the scale. Other than that, my absolute favorite games of all time is the Fallout series, with Fallout 2 being the top of the heap (BoS and Tactics are NOT Fallout games if you ask me). Generally, action/adventure/rpg is my cup of tea, so BW has a spot on my pantheon for ME, KOTOR, Baldur's Gate, and numerous others.

Now, if you are still with me: press reply and give me your thoughts! To repeate the main question of this post: how can I find a way to find a sponsor for my trip, and what would you guys like me to give back for that sponsorship?

Thank you for your time, and if you want to harass me ingame I am Shrimpsurfer, GM of Riders of the Emocalypse, Eye of Ashlanae

Edited by joykill

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should email this inquiry to various game reporting sites and see if you can't solicit some trade of services sponsorship.

Here's a tentative (but not exhaustive or complete) list of a few you might try emailing.

http://kotaku.com/

http://gamepolitics.com/

http://www.destructoid.com/

http://www.joystiq.com/

http://www.penny-arcade.com/

http://www.tentonhammer.com/

http://www.ign.com/

http://www.gamespot.com/

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/

---

Just as a few hopefully helpful (and helpfully intended) points of advice when drafting your proposal, get it proofread and edited. I might suggest a site such as this to submit it to for such treatment in the all too likely event you don't have a proposal editor handy.

Edit Avenue

I've occasionally used Edit Avenue's service for private projects and have referred quite a few small business applicants and fellow colleagues to it. While my personal recommendation and endorsement might tally up to meaning less than a hill of beans on the internet, it'll give you an idea of what you're going to want your solicitation proposal to be put to before putting it to the submission rounds.

You'll maximize your chances of getting some consideration if your proposal is treated in this capacity; you'll want it to be clean, concise and courteous with an absolute minimum of grammatical, punctuation or spelling errors.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Uruare

Not to sound like a jerk.....but you applied to the guild summit, KNOWING that if you got in you wouldn't be able to go because of the cost?

I applied as well, a guild of 90+ members. Most of whom participated in discussion of what they would like to know about the future of the game and what Bioware would/will do in the future to improve the game for itself and it's paying customers. Questions ranged from companion story lines to better improving the pvp system as well as issues with the GTN and crew skills. I had about 15 pages of issues, questions, comments and all that jazz.

I applied, but got put on standby. I live 2 hours away from Austin and was ready to head up there.

Please, call bioware or send them an email and let them know you aren't going to make it so other guilds who actually have a player base and have real concerns can go to the summit, get some info/feedback and help make it a better game instead of trying to get a free ride to Austin on someone else's dime

Not to sound like a jerk.....but you applied to the guild summit, KNOWING that if you got in you wouldn't be able to go because of the cost?

I applied as well, a guild of 90+ members. Most of whom participated in discussion of what they would like to know about the future of the game and what Bioware would/will do in the future to improve the game for itself and it's paying customers. Questions ranged from companion story lines to better improving the pvp system as well as issues with the GTN and crew skills. I had about 15 pages of issues, questions, comments and all that jazz.

I applied, but got put on standby. I live 2 hours away from Austin and was ready to head up there.

Please, call bioware or send them an email and let them know you aren't going to make it so other guilds who actually have a player base and have real concerns can go to the summit, get some info/feedback and help make it a better game instead of trying to get a free ride to Austin on someone else's dime

You've missed the point completely.

Hey man!

Saying that our guild does not have concerns is pretty shallow. Also, if only the big guilds would come the whole summit would be a bit lopsided, dont you think? The game isnt made entirely out of 90 man guilds, I believe it is quite the opposite: there are a few large guilds on every server, and about 3-4 times as many small ones.

I think the main factors I got the invite are that we ARE a small guild, and that we are from Europe. Whatever their reasons, Im sure BW have some kind thought behind them.

Edited by joykill

maybe i am being a jerk, but i would assume that someone that would apply for a guild summit would actually have the intent on going to said guild summit instead of throwing their application in for fun.

I don't doubt that you(the op) have real issues with the game, but other guilds that want to contribute to this summit or learn from this summit that have the ability to go should go instead of waiting for someone to call or email bioware and let them know that they can't go because it costs too much to do on a short timeline.

Bioware didn't really do this the right way either...announcing a guild summit with 1.5 months to apply, get in, and go? Usually this type of thing is announced 6 months to a year before actually happening. How many guilds from EU, or any other country, are actually going to go that applied? How many guilds from other parts of the country in the US will actually go that applied?

Am i jerk? yeah...i guess i am, but i think there will be a number of empty seats at the summit because half, if not more, of the guilds from across the pond can't afford to go, or had no intention of getting in but just did the app for fun.

maybe i am being a jerk, but i would assume that someone that would apply for a guild summit would actually have the intent on going to said guild summit instead of throwing their application in for fun.

I don't doubt that you(the op) have real issues with the game, but other guilds that want to contribute to this summit or learn from this summit that have the ability to go should go instead of waiting for someone to call or email bioware and let them know that they can't go because it costs too much to do on a short timeline.

Bioware didn't really do this the right way either...announcing a guild summit with 1.5 months to apply, get in, and go? Usually this type of thing is announced 6 months to a year before actually happening. How many guilds from EU, or any other country, are actually going to go that applied? How many guilds from other parts of the country in the US will actually go that applied?

Am i jerk? yeah...i guess i am, but i think there will be a number of empty seats at the summit because half, if not more, of the guilds from across the pond can't afford to go, or had no intention of getting in but just did the app for fun.

No. Since you have no idea how "slots" were filled, there is no reason to believe your guild or a similar guild of similar size would be invited instead. Your estimate of half is simply a guess. Continuing in this manner only affirms that the decision not to invite was correct.

I do agree with this guy though. Even if you had good intentions to go but you know you cant afford it in time at least be decent and contact BioWare you cant go and let people who can instead.

I'm pretty sure BioWare also won't be happy that guilds that did apply wont show up and they end up talking to a wall because the seats are empty.

However I will give in a small tip to the OP

Open a Paypal and ask for a small donations. (via twitter/facebook/raptr or whatever social/game network you're on) (I know of people that support their game stream video's and reviews this way)

Edited by Kirameki

No. Since you have no idea how "slots" were filled, there is no reason to believe your guild or a similar guild of similar size would be invited instead. Your estimate of half is simply a guess. Continuing in this manner only affirms that the decision not to invite was correct.

When swtor released the game they said they had a limited amount of collectors editions available to the players. How would you feel if you went to buy that limited edition, but found out they were all sold out, then came to the forums only to see a thread that said "hey, i was able to pre-order the limited edition, but i can't afford it, can someone buy it for me?"

I feel a little jaded by the OP because he is going to scrounge for cash to go by trying to get a sponsor, and if he can't (because it would be pretty amazing if he could get a sponsor to foot a 2k+ bill, not including hotel...the double tree is expensive there, as well as the other hotels in the area) he's going to....not go. Not that he really had any intention of going, he just did it for fun.

His issues and my issues may be exactly the same....we could get together and probably have the exact same notes and exact same concerns, the difference is that one of us COULD be heard, instead of both being unheard.

I am really really really really shocked that EA/Bioware isn't flipping the Bill for the Travel expenses...

I mean, shame shame.

What looked like a golden PR Stunt and olive branch to the community is now more of a...well, It's kind of Mickey Mouse.

They are footing the bill for the people they initially chose and invited, just not for the people who applied for one of the extra spots that were made available to those who said that wanted to go also and would pay their own way.

To clarify the issue of applying with the financial situation Im in: I described my position in my application. I still got the invite.

As to opening a paypal account and asking for handouts: it has crossed my mind, but that feels more like asking for someone to pay for me. I hope it is clear from my first post that I want to EARN my way there, so that whoever helps out gets something for their troubles. Good point though, will keep it in mind.

Edited by joykill

When swtor released the game they said they had a limited amount of collectors editions available to the players. How would you feel if you went to buy that limited edition, but found out they were all sold out, then came to the forums only to see a thread that said "hey, i was able to pre-order the limited edition, but i can't afford it, can someone buy it for me?"

I feel a little jaded by the OP because he is going to scrounge for cash to go by trying to get a sponsor, and if he can't (because it would be pretty amazing if he could get a sponsor to foot a 2k+ bill, not including hotel...the double tree is expensive there, as well as the other hotels in the area) he's going to....not go. Not that he really had any intention of going, he just did it for fun.

His issues and my issues may be exactly the same....we could get together and probably have the exact same notes and exact same concerns, the difference is that one of us COULD be heard, instead of both being unheard.

Your again making the assumption that somehow your "spot" was filled by someone who could not attend. That assumption is incredibly flawed because you don't know the method of filling spots. Do you think Bioware assumed everybody invited would actually attend? I wouldn't.

Regardless, it's crystal clear who can present things in an objective manner and who can't. Take this as a learning opportunity.

Your again making the assumption that somehow your "spot" was filled by someone who could not attend. That assumption is incredibly flawed because you don't know the method of filling spots. Do you think Bioware assumed everybody invited would actually attend? I wouldn't.

Regardless, it's crystal clear who can present things in an objective manner and who can't. Take this as a learning opportunity.

No, i not assuming anything....actually, I am. I am assuming that when someone puts in an application for this type of event/gathering, they have the intention to attend. Instead, in THIS instance, someone put in an application for the fun of it, knew they couldn't attend because of the cost and are now coming to the forums, the community, to find out how they can pay for the cost to go to something that they KNEW they wouldn't be able to attend because of the cost.

If this guy goes....more power to him. I would like to see him go because he was accepted. If he can't go, he needs to email Bioware and let them know so that those (not just me) that were put on a wait list could go and have a great time, learn a little about the game and get some valuable information.

I have presented my thoughts on this in an objective manner. I stated why i was not happy with the OP, i stated that even tho he and i may have the same concerns, desires, or needs to go to the guild summit, he had NO intention of going and therefore may have taken a spot for someone/guild that could go.

Not quite sure what the learning experience is other than if you can't make it across the world to go to a guild summit then you shouldn't apply for it and take the few spots available to some that could actually go.

good luck on raising the money. if you can't go, i suggest telling someone all your concerns/input (a guildmember, or, if all your guild members are also from europe, then someone like pink pants) and let them go instead. Edited by Quynhdolin

You keep making the same assumption over and over again. I can't make it any simpler for you. The fact that he was invited does not equate to you not being invited.

hmm...as I stated before, we were told that we were invited, but we are on a wait list because they have only so many spots, and if said spots opened up by people that said they couldn't go, then we would be selected when our spot on the wait list came about.

If i didn't state this, then oops..my bad, if i did state this, then you either did not read it, or just assumed i wasn't invited.

You completely failed and ended up sounding like a jerk.

hmm...as I stated before, we were told that we were invited, but we are on a wait list because they have only so many spots, and if said spots opened up by people that said they couldn't go, then we would be selected when our spot on the wait list came about.

If i didn't state this, then oops..my bad, if i did state this, then you either did not read it, or just assumed i wasn't invited.

Lol, still don't get it. It's ok, though I'll draft a response directly to explain why that should not happen.

Well, as it stands now I have been offered frequent flyer miles by a guild friend, so the preliminary plan is: Im going to Austin!

However, some paperwork needs to be done, and I will know tomorrow, or at the latest thursday, if I can go.

I will keep you guys updated, my intention to do some kind of coverage is still very much real.

Edited by joykill