Bioware opening the door to "Hackers" with combat log

Reevax

People get their info stolen numerous ways but one of the top ways is via malicious web pages.

People are now going to be checking web pages that are offering ways to parse the offline combat log. It's a pretty safe wager not all of those web pages are going to have honest intent.

I am not sure why Bioware does not offer an in game version of combat parse so we can just check it right there. Instead we are going to have to rely on external sources. Sadly many players do not practice good web safety and they will get their accounts stolen.

This impacts us all because now the customer service people are even more tied up dealing with an issue that would have been very simple to avoid.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People get their info stolen numerous ways but one of the top ways is via malicious web pages.

People are now going to be checking web pages that are offering ways to parse the offline combat log. It's a pretty safe wager not all of those web pages are going to have honest intent.

I am not sure why Bioware does not offer an in game version of combat parse so we can just check it right there. Instead we are going to have to rely on external sources. Sadly many players do not practice good web safety and they will get their accounts stolen.

This impacts us all because now the customer service people are even more tied up dealing with an issue that would have been very simple to avoid.

blame the anti combat log/meter brigade.

I blame the developers of the game.

There is no reason for them to have made such a half-baked version of the combat log. The in game only shows you what your killing blow was and what killed you. The rest goes to an offline log. There is no reason they could not have a parse in the game for us to look at at.

Blame people who are not savvy enough to download content only from trusted web sites.

Blame people who visit web pages without adequate safeguards on their computers.

Yeah I do blame them as well but we can't control what they do where as Bioware can certainly remove the need for people rely on out-of-game sources.

let me get this right, so because we can now see our own combat logs that somehow states that we will get hacked ? ok then. ps isnt it a stated fact that this is the 1st part of what there doing with the combat log and they intend to create a system ingame to show it but only for yourself.

And this is laughable, you want to blame the anti combat log/ meters people for having combat logs put into the game, great going there sparky.

Edited by Shingara

Why would you go to a website and use your same info as your log in info? The parses don't give your account info. If you get hacked uploading this to a website, you can only

Blame yourself.

Have you seen the combat log?

Plus you clearly don't understand the issue.

Scare tactics now? Seriously? I, for one, hope Battleclinic supports combat logs for TOR. They do for EVE, and there are no worries there.

Scare tactics now? Seriously? I, for one, hope Battleclinic supports combat logs for TOR. They do for EVE, and there are no worries there.

People getting their info stolen from a malicious web site is a scare tactic? Pretty sure that's a valid issue and something that happens to people every single day.

And this is laughable, you want to blame the anti combat log/ meters people for having combat logs put into the game, great going there sparky.

You need a reading comprehension check. if we had real meters and not these feel good abominations were getting we wouldn't need to go to external websites.

Yes I have.

Yes, I do. If you log onto questionable websites to parse your data it's your own fault.

No, you don't.

There is no need to log on to anything, you can get hijacked simply by visiting a malicious web site.

Bioware could prevent at least this one issue by making the data parse in game. Very simple solution since the data is already there.

You need a reading comprehension check. if we had real meters and not these feel good abominations were getting we wouldn't need to go to external websites.

no you need a reading and comprehension check duder. how is combat logs being put into the game any fault of the people not wanting the combat logs in the game. seriously, its like saying people who are against drink driving are to blame for drink drivers.

Neither the 2 work as an argument for you. an ingame system to show only your own dps to improve your dps has never once been argued against.

Edited by Shingara

An interesting corollary to the Phantom Douche Theory. And no, not really a concern.

Blame the elitist *****s who ruined WoW with DPS meters.

Wanting to improve your performance = elitist?

Plus your argument is invalid, the log has been added. My issue is that fact its offline only which will cause other issues that could be avoided with ease.

Edited by Reevax

I love how people say blame the anti meter brigade.

I mean lets not even consider the leagues of jerks that made post after post screaming about the "Bads" and how they weren't fit to live and should kill themselves.

That might have had something to do with the devs decision.

no you need a reading and comprehension check duder. how is combat logs being put into the game any fault of the people not wanting the combat logs in the game. seriously, its like saying a people who are against drink driving are to blame for drink drivers.

Neither the 2 work as an argument for you. an ingame system to show only your own dps to improve your dps has never once been argued against.

Jesus, you are think. The OPs premise is that you are open to being hacked because to use the ghetto combat log, you need to go to an external website. If we had REAL combat log/metering, this wouldn't be the case.

Not that I agree with the premise that you might get hacked, its still fair to say that if we weren't getting these watered down logs external sites wouldn't be necessary and then the OPs complaint. no matter how unlikely, would be moot.

Jesus, you are think. The OPs premise is that you are open to being hacked because to use the ghetto combat log, you need to go to an external website. If we had REAL combat log/metering, this wouldn't be the case.

Not that I agree with the premise that you might get hacked, its still fair to say that if we weren't getting these watered down logs external sites wouldn't be necessary and then the OPs complaint. no matter how unlikely, would be moot.

im think am i lol, your so bad its unreal, lets see, who do we blame for combat logs being put into the game if it is only your combat logs, the people who argued against them or the people that argued for them. lets ponder that for a while.

Edited by Shingara