Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Spacebar has never, ever seen this much love

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Spacebar has never, ever seen this much love

DaWaffle
03.17.2012 , 07:05 AM | #21
I just do the class quests and level up with PVP/Flashpoints, with the occasional Heroic or side quest when I have nothing to do.

Kaskali
03.17.2012 , 07:54 AM | #22
When I first heard about this game, I was extraordinarily excited. I have been in love with Bioware games since the first time I played KoTOR, and I thought that this game would be a panacea for everything that bothers me about modern MMORPGs (which is mostly the people who play them). For the first time, I thought I had found a game where I would be surrounded by other players who are more or less like myself.

I thought that a game with meaningful group choices would encourage players to be discerning about whom they play with and to make friends with those of like mind. I mean, who could enjoy playing a character with a group of people who constantly make the wrong choices?

I thought that a game with fully voice-acted quests would appeal to mature people with the attention span to enjoy the immersive experience of Bioware games and deter those who simply want to click through their quest text and follow the big yellow arrow to the next thing they have to kill.

I thought that an immersive, story-driven game would attract people with enough personal investment in their game characters to give them minimally appropriate names, and I even hoped against hope that the very immersive nature of Bioware games might foster a game community that places some degree of value on basic literacy (because nothing destroys immersion like conversing with a person who insists on typing using numerals in place of prepositions).

Then I began reading reports from people who played in the beta and I died a little bit inside.

I am sorry if you did not enjoy playing the game, but your inability to sit still for voice-acted quests is a reflection of your own preferences and your own (ill-informed) expectations, not the quality of this game. There are a lot of things I do not find enjoyable about Modern Warfare. That does not make it a bad game.

Fortunately for you, there are lots of other games that do not have cinematic cut scenes for every quest. In fact, I am pretty sure that is every other MMO on the market. Hopefully you can find one that better suits your tastes.

Claymaniac
03.17.2012 , 08:52 AM | #23
Even on my 3rd alt, I have barely used the spacebar. The different dialogue options, different voice acting, etc is enough for me. I don't get the whole, "i don't care why" crowd when it some to sidequests.

Like someone else said, it would be better to just have the class quest and a bulletin board on every planet with random "Kill 10 creatures, collect 12 items" notices for no reason? I guess for some of you the answer would indeed be yes.
Skeksis: Jedi Sage on Prophecy of the Five. P5 FTW!!!

Claymaniac
03.17.2012 , 08:55 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Yakito View Post
Believe it or not, but my Spacebar has this shiny bit. The plastic there got polished by my thumb while skipping the side quest BS talk.

I listened to it all on my first character, but after that... I can't stand these.
The game has no replay value, I am afraid.

And I know this may sound stupid, but I actually like WoW quests more. I can read them if I want to, or I can just accept the quests and go kill the damn "something" while not feeling claustrophobic cos of the tight spaces on planets like Nar Shadaa or Corellia.
You know... the feeling of open world. For some reason I can't even feel it on Taris.
I love the city planets. Corellia is my favourite planet in the game. Its cool exploring a city from time to time, instead of just wide open spaces like every other MMO. To each his own.

I do find it funny how people say, "THIS IS JUST A WOW CLONE" and they also say, "THIS DESIGN SUCKS CAUSE IN WOW I COULD DO THIS INSTEAD."

Can't win.
Skeksis: Jedi Sage on Prophecy of the Five. P5 FTW!!!

Monoth
03.17.2012 , 09:04 AM | #25
How many times has Bioware said this game is set around story telling... yet we continue to have people post how they don't like story of any kind... (sigh)... it's like hating Pizza yet you order it anyways and then complain about it...

I guess some people are slow....

Oh BTW to save some of you some time, there is no end game, or I should say the end game Bioware gave us is a bit of a mess right now, the meat and potatoes of SWTOR is rolling alts and doing there class story...... So if you hate story then this game is definitely not for you.
F2P is like driving on a long stretch of highway with toll booths every 1/2 mile

Dash_Fiss
03.17.2012 , 09:07 AM | #26
I was against the voice acting and too much story from day 1, but of course, pretty much everybody kept yelling "if you don't love story and immersion go back to wow!".

TOOOOLD YOUUUUU
"The Force? Oh, it's kinda like duct tape. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together!"

NogFizzbin
03.17.2012 , 09:08 AM | #27
I'm glad there is a spacebar for those with no patience, but I almost never find myself using it - except on alien conversations because I read fast and I don't like the pauses.

Yakito
03.17.2012 , 09:04 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Dash_Fiss View Post
I was against the voice acting and too much story from day 1, but of course, pretty much everybody kept yelling "if you don't love story and immersion go back to wow!".

TOOOOLD YOUUUUU

I remember my first thought when I heard about voice overs. I thought "Well, that's not gonna work, it's a stupid idea, it's an MMO... they are better off spending that money on the features"

But then it kinda grew on me and I thought "well! innovation! I think that can be quite interesting".
What I didn't anticipate was Bioware making so many restrictions, so for a given level there's only one planet you can go. You cannot level from 10-20 (around) anywhere else than Coruscant, you can't go anywhere else than Nar Shadaa or Taris afterwards, there's no path to choose, and I can't make a third alt, it would kill me. I'd love to have one, but I know I can't go to a different planet.

I really wish they didn't bother with the voice overs. It's a nice touch, but it doesn't make an MMO last, because how many times can you listen to the same lines?

Samborino
03.17.2012 , 09:12 PM | #29
I like all the stories, sure there are side quests with fluff, but ill still listen and make decisions. Alot of the bonus series mission chains have really good stories (some of the best in the game) and ive really enjoyed them. Then there is the main planet storyline which is usually quite good and ties in with your class storyline sometimes, as well as with other planets (as the war rages on)

It doesnt sound like you gave it much of a chance, or werent a fan of bioware storytelling to begin with. Sure their are meaningless quests that dont have a great story but the chat you have is usually quite short for those. And sometimes honestly the side quests and heroics are just downright funny.

Like the guy that wants to eat the bug meat on balmorra with the snout (the race of my Avatar on the forums) that was freaking hilarious, it didnt tie into anything else or anything like that but it was great.

Also the gree storyline on coruscant was awesome and it wasnt part of the main planet quest it was just a nice quest chain.

I think one of my favourites was the nar shadaa bonus series (you have to go back there at level 31-33) there where so many differnent possible outcomes based on your decision. And you had the option to bang one of those freaky green chicks at the end lol.

laserfloyd
03.17.2012 , 09:12 PM | #30
Voice overs/cut scenes should have been limited to class quests exclusively. That would make it more meaningful vs feeling like you HAVE to help every dang NPC who doesn't have bio-med parts, or needs thugs killed or has an auntie up a tree. I find the interaction during class missions to be good but I space the heck out of every other mission.
Half way between the gutter and the stars