Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New social gears : Dead on Arrival?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
New social gears : Dead on Arrival?

Astridd
02.25.2012 , 08:09 AM | #1
Quote:
Daniel Erickson: Yes! Expect to see the first new gear coming in Game Update 1.2 and some dramatic changes to the social gear system just around the corner afterward.
-Community Q&A: Feb 10th 2012

Georg Zoeller: Absolutely. With the upcoming Game Update 1.2, we are adding endgame crafting for all professions. This includes augment crafting, the ability to crit-craft custom (orange) gear with augment slots.
-Community Q&A: Feb 24th 2012
I have no information or whatsoever about this 'dramatic' change, but it looks like the new social gears could be vastly inferior to crit-crafted competitors.

I think, whatever the change is, if a player paid roughly same amount of effort to obtain that social gear, then it should be granted a slot equivalent to the crit-crafted ones, or be abandoned for years, for the people who care about stats I mean.

Update 03.14.2012
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post

You will not be able to retrofit existing items with augment slots, but this is something we're discussing internally as 'we probably want to add this', so any of your feedback is worthwhile to us. If/when we offer that option, it will be added in a way that does not devalue the crafter community.

LogicalPremise
02.25.2012 , 08:19 AM | #2
Social gear is not , should not, and will not be for those people who "care about stats". It's social gear.
Majynn, L65 Sorc - Harbinger
Garadan, L65 Jugg- Harbinger
Vongrath, L65 Op - Harbinger
Tradius Ahern, L65 Gunslinger - BB&B- Harbinger

Michaelphoenix
02.25.2012 , 08:24 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Astridd View Post
I have no information or whatsoever about this 'dramatic' change, but it looks like the new social gears could be vastly inferior to crit-crafted competitors.

I think, whatever the change is, if a player paid roughly same amount of effort to obtain that social gear, then it should be granted a slot equivalent to the crit-crafted ones, or be abandoned for years, for the people who care about stats I mean.
So?

its vendor bought SOCIAL gear

not crafted.....not a drop...VENDOR BOUGHT
Collector's Edition VIP Key Holder (has the joke gotten old yet?)

Cyclonit
02.25.2012 , 08:27 AM | #4
I guess the dramatic change will be that they provide medium and heavy armor variants of the social gear ^^

Mrs_Murder
02.25.2012 , 08:32 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by LogicalPremise View Post
Social gear is not , should not, and will not be for those people who "care about stats". It's social gear.
And come 1.2 we can remove our set bonuses and put it into whatever we want, ie social gear. I'm already running around in the Slave Girl Top since I had a Rakata armoring + 2 Rakata mods from BM gear + 4 piece set bonus without the top.

Social gear should have an augment slot, I agree. If you've done so much grouping that you have Social rank x or y, then you deserve a damn augment slot in my opinion.

This patch will be useless in regards to customization and originality if you're forced to wear a specific armor anyway because it has an augment slot. I am NOT wearing Bounty Hunter armor ever again.
Grats on killing your own game, Bioware.

Mrs_Murder
02.25.2012 , 08:34 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Michaelphoenix View Post
So?

its vendor bought SOCIAL gear

not crafted.....not a drop...VENDOR BOUGHT
And requires a social rank, ie something you've earned.
There's no reason why for example Social Rank X items shouldn't have augment slots. (Coming from an endgame PVEer/Battlemaster PVPer) So they can add "Social Rank X" versions of all the lower tiered Social gear, but Social Rank X gear has an augment slot.

Alternatively, BW can add social gear schematics to armormech/synthweaving.
Grats on killing your own game, Bioware.

Astridd
02.25.2012 , 08:37 AM | #7
Greetings, might I introduce a group of players who likes to socialize AND care about stats at the same time..

Well, if social gears can't be utilized, then might as well take away remaining slots so we have LESS options to consider and save some headaches. Don't get me wrong - I'll be happy if devs give every social designs to you crafters and empower the wonders of variety.

The whole point of orange gear was giving players more options to choose from. As long as social gear remain orange as developers envisioned, it should be competitive among the oranges.

Jamuro
02.25.2012 , 08:47 AM | #8
devinite no ... i realy don't want to see everyone running around in slave outfits in pvp ... ridicolous
Damion Schubert: We love mini-games, especially the ones that speak to the heritage of KOTOR. When would something like pazaak make its way to you? Hard to say - it's not on our immediate horizon, and we'd most likely do it at a point where we want to make a large splash.

Ashyel
02.25.2012 , 09:11 AM | #9
Have you ever played TOR? In TOR they have this armour type called "Custom", marked by an orange outline. It means you can modify the armour to your exact specifications. It's a pretty good system. It means you can have the looks, and the stats, without having to compromise either.

They also have this tiered system called "Social Points", where you're encouraged to group up in order to gain access to exclusive custom gear. That's why it's called "social gear". Not because it's purely for cosmetics, but rather, because you need to be SOCIAL to get it.

Now, if the social gear was supposed to be as you suggest, that is to say - useless. (Say for instance, white outlined). Then yes it would be purely cosmetic. However, why on earth would such a system encourage players to bother grouping in multiplayer conversations? Why would they do that to get utterly pointless and throw-away gear they can't even use for this game's main activity - combat? That would make the social points system entirely irrelevant and have the opposite effect on players, no?

I get the feeling you just want to defend Bioware's designs and systems. But you don't seem to understand the system in question. I would love nothing more than for Bioware's design goal for social points come to full fruition, and adding augment slots to social gear would be the answer. And if you need +1 higher rank to unlock the augmented version (like say Social II for Bikini and Social III for Augmented Bikini) then that would be good in my opinion.
Ash - Scoundrel

Astridd
02.26.2012 , 04:45 AM | #10
Do we really need higher social rank for its augment slots? I respectfully disagree.. In social gear's defense, gathering people and get them stick to the last conversations were a lot harder and challenging, than sitting at GTN spamming my crew until critical success.