November 15th isnt just F2P day but the day that changed SWG forever

DarthMaulUK

I played SWG from the second day until it ended. (off and on after NGE). I have to say most of the time even before NGE my time was spent playing JTL. When ppl talk about SWG they remember all the good times they had with there in-game friends and not the bad things about the game. Rose color glasses are great for looking back. I play the emu from time to time for old times sake. Tap nest, kill spawn, tap nest again kill spawn, tap nest no spawn kill nest get xp. Not really fun. SWG was about playing with other ppl. When NGE hit a lot of ppl left and you found ppl that were in game enemies form the start questing together in groups to do the story line. For the Vets it was a fitting end to our SWG saga.. we found peace. For us it ended before the Resstes<--spelled wrong) thing. The memories are way better than the game was.

Bzzt. Wrong. The 350,000 was a rumored peak. They did, however, sell more than two million copies.

Anyways, it is ironic that 11/15 marked the downfall of one Star Wars MMO and possibly the downfall of another.

not 2 million copies they had 2 million accounts. They counted everyone who bought a Sony Station pass that allowed them to play all of Sonys MMOs.

It never even came close to actually selling 1 million copies.

I really appreciate F2P option in SW:TOR.

I love Star Wars series, games, cartoons and everything that is releated to it.

The Free To Play option will bring whole new experience to the game.

I never liked to P2P in games, it's really annoying. You have bought the game and you still have to pay to play it which is really annoying.

About the only things I really do miss about SWG are the community I was in and the space functionality. Picking what ship I wanted and customizing/naming it, free roaming in space, entering combat with friends as gunners, all that kind of stuff was absolutely amazing and made it feel like Star Wars. I still remember flying around in my Y-Wing with my friend in the gunner seat helping me do missions. Brilliant.

If TOR had that, I'd never leave the cockpit.

Woot More SWG Spam !

If SWG was a Good MMO and had a Profitable Player Base it would still be here Period .

There is SWGEMU but yet its not good enough for these diehard SWG fans who are on SWTOR forums spamming SWG Threads/post or playing TOR instead .

This is in all honesty

SWG wasn't good enough preNGE

So NGE came out

Then Players Hated NGE

So the ShutDown and now players want SWG back but do not want to play SWGEMU..............

Yes EMU is not perfect , it has a load of Bugs , Its Probably illegal , but

EMU is playable , SWG had a load of Bugs , SWG was not Perfect .

Soo , I think its good to miss something that you spent years playing but it is counter Constructive to try to bring it back . Move Foward , its how we Progress to better things.

I miss PreAbyssea FF11 , but thats never coming back and nor am I going to spam FF11 or FF14 forums about it . I moved on and Foward !

Edited by mefit

Just to reply to a couple of stupid responses.

1 - this is a forum about Star Wars and their games. SWG was one of those games

2 - You cant compare subs from 2003 to 2011 because access to PCs and broadband was still an issue for some.

For those of you who weren't around, never played/heard of SWG, you simply will never understand just how loved that game was. Why? For the majority(myself included) it was my very first MMO and simply HUGE in scale - probably too big.

Despite all the problems with NGE and then bringing back some of the old features(thanks Jake Neri for that!), it still lasted a good 8 years as a PAID to play MMO. No, free to play, no two tiered subscription base.

Unlike SWTOR, SWG was hyped a lot but nothing like SWTOR, which ultimately leads to disappointment. And for those of you still bashing SWG v SWTOR - here is a crystal clear fact.

SWTOR has gone in the history books as losing the fastest amount of subs in record time - some 1.4 million inside 6 months. Which clearly shows that the game wasn't what people thought it would be. SWG actually increased its user base within the first 2 months of play.