Sooo umm Space Combat

AluminumMonster

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hold left mouse button and spam space bar right?

Am i doing it right?

Very disappointing how bad it is. I only do it to get xp since its so boring.

And upgrade your mods with your fleet emblems and you should be fine :)

Hold left mouse button and spam space bar right?

Am i doing it right?

Very disappointing how bad it is. I only do it to get xp since its so boring. Anyone actually like it?

No, I dont... wonder how they could come up with that in 2011...

As a mini-game it's ok (it starts off fun, but then loses it's joy with each repetition).

It quickly becomes utterly mind-numbing on more than 1 character though.

We can only hope they do something like a JTL expansion at some point, with "real" (ok not real, but SW-esq un-real and un-railed) space combat (see my sig).

Fun little mini game.

I find expectations to the contrary a little puzzling, this isn't XvT, it's an MMO.

And yet SWG introduced a space simulation with Jump to Lightspeed that could have been a standalone game along the lines of X-Wing, TIE Fighter, or XvT.

Just sayin'.

Other than that I agree though, it's a fun mini game.

Yeah, the space combat is the one thing I'm really disappointed in.

There are two models of space combat, really: "Free flight" and "Rail shooter." What we have in here is a rail shooter - you are forced along a pre-programmed path with very little opportunity to move. (Yes, you can swing left and right or up and down, but you're not really controlling the ship all that much.)

What I was hoping for, honestly, was free flight. It doesn't have to be Flight Simulator complex, taking ten minutes just to start moving from the spaceport - just look at the old X Wing and TIE Fighter games.

But instead of that - I got "Ride along, swing to the side a bit... oops, we just slammed you into an asteroid, sorry about that... oh, yeah, we know you took out the guns there, and it would make sense to take out the shield generators from this side, but we're going to loop you around so you can see our pretty graphics and then nose-dive you into this mass of turrets after flying between the undamaged sides of two cap ships."

I somewhat get WHY it was probably done - a rail shooter, as arcade-y as it is, is less demanding of... well, skill, and hardware, and just paying attention to what's going on around you. Plus the enemy "AI" just has to worry about "He's close, he'll be coming in this way, shoot now" as opposed to "find and maneuver."

Doesn't make me any less disappointed in it.

If the space game is not at least as fleshed out as SWG, then it just won't feel like star wars to me. There's a way to do it, I just hope Bioware finds the way.

No it's not as open as JTL's flight was but it's a LOT more like what you see in the movies. Which I assume was their goal to make it feel cinematic.

I think they did a great job.

eh its ok for a minigame but it really has no place in an mmo. Shameless Plug: check my sig for an in depth view at the state of space combat in The Old Republic.

You need to edit your sig so the link works properly.

But the graphics do look amazing. Though I let my 7 year old daughter play my space combat. She gets entertained and rewarded by a simple mini game. I get to watch some tv without having to pause to watch an ingame speech. Not knocking the i game voicing, I actually enjoy it. Though missing my tv programming because of it is harsh.

Star Fox 64 + Star Wars = ... Star Wars + Star Fox 64 !!!

I loved that game. You know if you do something-or-other in the first level you can follow Falco into a separate zone instead of follow Peppy into the barrel roll zone? Also, if you do something right you can get to the aqua space ship zone level instead of the tank level? or something like that..

Edited by NewLogic

And if they changed the space flight to where you can control your ship out of the space stations or planets, you'd complain that it takes to long to jump to hyperspace upon clearing the area. Go play EVE Online and you'll see what I'm talking about. I'm sure you can get your fill there.

The space combat is what it is. How much more of a game do you need this to be? YOUR idea of a good game wasn't the same as Bioware/Lucasarts so you QQ on the forums? Really? Get a life, look at what you have in front of you, it's a HUGE game with infinite possibilities in the upcoming months/years. But then again, that's infinite things to complain about right?

I only have to assume that the people that want full and complex space combat are different from the people that want to warp everywhere. Is that fair? I don't even want to see these forums explode if a complex space system were added to the game, people would whine about how much they have to do to play and that it is the only way to get x or y or z.

Don't get me wrong, I would love a full and complex space combat game. But, I don't dislike the rails shooter that exists. It is fun and easy to get into. Plus the more options that exist the better. I like having long complex and hard things to do mixed with some very fast and easy things to do.

Then again I am in favor of more mini games within the game to get it a more in depth feel. But that is why I play MMORPGs, because I like the RPG part of them.