the Real MMO Killer

Malfucius

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're still comparing an MMO's expansion, which I think took about a year to come out (I do think Blizzard said they aim for an expansion every year). ToR is about 3 weeks old.

You're not doing a proper comparison. ToR took what, 5 years to develop? That's what you should be using to compare.

You're comparing the content of an MMO that has been out for 7+ years to an MMO that has been out for about, what, 3 weeks?

To put that into days you're comparing an MMO that's been out for over 2,555+ days, to an MMO that has only been out for over 21 days.

Every thing he said you could do, you could do when WOW was first released. I was there :)

Edited by Badlander

If you roll a different faction the quests are pretty different. But yes, I agree, if you do roll a same faction character, the quests get old pretty fast.

In the end though, you are comparing WoW (which has had 7 years of expansions), to a game that JUST came out.

Give it time. Or quit (and comeback later)

I apparently completely crippled the Rebublic on Balmorra, Taris, and Nar Shadda, but the NPCs are just as plentiful as ever. That shuttle I presumably nuked is still standing there too.

WoW uses phasing heavily now. Started back in Wotlk other then a few problems it really added to the questing (especially for the people that did read) seeing the world change.

Old Republic could have greatly benefitted from phasing especially since "story" is so important right?

In the end though, you are comparing WoW (which has had 7 years of expansions), to a game that JUST came out.

Give it time. Or quit (and comeback later)

Why are new 2011 games (2012 really) given a pass and compared to vanilla WOW, a new game needs to come out competitive, it shouldn't be that they just need to be as good as a game that came out 7 years ago. By this reasoning SWTOR will never catch up to WOW, since for every year SWTOR gets under its belt, so will WOW.

You're comparing the content of an MMO that has been out for 7+ years to an MMO that has been out for about, what, 3 weeks?

To put that into days you're comparing an MMO that's been out for over 2,555+ days, to an MMO that has only been out for over 21 days.

Thank you! So many people fail to understand that wow vs swtor is an inane comparison.

/force thread

Thank you! So many people fail to understand that wow vs swtor is an inane comparison.

How? TOR does do anything different from WoW. It's the competition ofcourse we're gonna compare it to. It's stupid to not compare it to a succesful game.

WoW was in development for just as long probably, and how much content did it launch with?

Let's go off that example of the game being 6 years in development. If you want it to have as much content as WoW, it'll be in development for another 6 years.

Would you prefer playing the game now, or in 2017? And by then, they'll probably have to have re-done the game a few times due to changes in technology.

They shoulda waited til 2017 and added open space combat, less bugs.

I don't think there should be more planets, because we already have like 19 or something. But I think they should've made it so you spend more time on each planet, by putting more quests and stuff on each planet. Maybe some people wouldn't like that, though.

First off.

WOW's first expansion: The Burning Crusade came about 2 years after.

Second, WOW had very, VERY limited content on release.

Max level was 30 (Increased to 40, then to 60 with very little time in between)

Last but not least.

TOR has more content than wow produced during the entire Vanilla phase, which lasted about 2 years.

I have done maybe 10 of the same quests i did on my main when leveling my alt.

I honestly do not see a problem here and i don't really see anything that will "kill this game" as the OP describes.

He is talking about 1-60 content. Almost all of which was completely revamped in 1 expansion which took them about 6 months to complete. So... yeah, I think its a fair enough comparison.

So, it isn't actually a fair comparison, because wow existed for how many years before they revamped that content to its current form. 6+ years in case you were wondering.

Sorry, the OPs argument is historically inaccurate.

Hey there folks,

While we do understand comparisons to other games are something that is discussed when talking about Star Wars: The Old Republic, this thread is not directly about the game and is thus off-topic.

If you do have a request for a feature you see in another game, you can use this thread for posting it:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=87349

We'll be closing this thread now. Thanks for your understanding!