KOTOR remastered with Unreal engine

Since this technically is a free total conversion mod requiring purchase of the base game to run, they probably can actually.

"Capital Wasteland" was also total conversation mod for Fallout 3(inside Fallout 4s engine) that would require the purchase of the base game(Fallout 3), and the mod team shut it down, when they learned they could not legally use the voice work. The Voice work, music, etc, isn't actually owned by companies like EA or Bethesda. They are owned by the record labels, voice actors, composers, etc.

Disney/EA would be legally obliged to shut it down if they found out about it. Which is what Bethesda asked the "Capital Wasteland" group to do to avoid going to court over it.

Edited by cool-dude

Plenty of other Mods out and have been out for exactly that same game. Just add the Mod. over the original game, they seem to do fine. :)

There is a difference between modifying the existing game by adding assets you own, and copying the game's assets to modify another game/engine. In the former case you just improve on the original work, in the later case you need permission to use the assets, and especially for music and voice acting, there isn't just the developer/publisher involved, but also the artist and their agency or publisher.

Just look at all the Swtor videos that had ingame music originating from the original trilogy. These tracks are copyrighted by Sony; of course Lucasfilm has the right to use and sublicense them as they please, but a random youtuber's gameplay videos will be taken down or muted.

Edited by Mubrak

YEah you think SWTOR would at least up grade enough to give our planets a Night and day System. Even if its not just turns to day or night each time you go to a planet. Example: you go to Tattooine, one time and its Day time. Next time you return its night time. or Dusk or Dawn. Just by coming to and going away the days will change.

• 4 weeks later...

The question does become however, how long is ownership established and how long before it becomes public domain? Even if you own something, there is a period of time that can lapse where it becomes fair use. The amount of time usually is very significant, however, since Kotor was released in 2003, we are looking at 15 years having passed which is a significant amount of time.

What we also do not know is how ownership was handled back then. I understand that the recording artists have ownership nowadays over their voices being used in certain projects. However that was not always the case. If Kotor was made before the voice acting Union was able to get those concessions, then it would only be for material from that point going forward and would not be retroactive. what I am saying is there is still a shot that those voice overs and sound effects can legally be used in a mod remaking the game without the need to go to court. There is a lot to consider rather than just issuing a blanket yes or no.

That being said, if I were EA, given the quality of work that is being done, I would quietly be monitoring this mod and once everything but the sound is completed, or even if the sound is completed, rather than shutting it down I would have it demoed, tested, and then give the mod makers an offer: pay them for their work, granted on the cheap, in exchange for rights to the mod and credit for it, and then package it with whatever sound effects are needed to keep it legal and release it to the masses as a paid expansion of the game, or threaten the mod makers at that time with shutting them down and taking them to court.

I know that sounds cutthroat, but if that is the only way we as fans ever get to experience this first-hand, I'd rather play it than not.

Edited by ZionHalcyon

That being said, if I were EA, given the quality of work that is being done, I would quietly be monitoring this mod and once everything but the sound is completed, or even if the sound is completed, rather than shutting it down I would have it demoed, tested, and then give the mod makers an offer: pay them for their work, granted on the cheap, in exchange for rights to the mod and credit for it, and then package it with whatever sound effects are needed to keep it legal and release it to the masses as a paid expansion of the game, or threaten the mod makers at that time with shutting them down and taking them to court.

Has anything similar ever gone down that way in IP law? I just find it hard for EA to be that magnanimous. But, magnanimous or not, its been 7 years now and SWG emulators haven't been shut down by EA or Disney. I doubt it has escaped their notice … they allowed a reference to AV-21s in the Solo movie, and there is no other mention of AV-21 landspeeders anywhere except SWG.

• 1 month later...

That's a terrible shame. I actually bought the game recently (I've been playing swtor for years and never touched a kotor game) and I'm sorry to admit that I'm having kind of a hard time getting into it. There are a few different reasons I suppose, but it sure wouldn't hurt if the game looked a bit, well, you all know what it looks like. Try to imagine how it looks to someone who's playing it the first time in 2018. I woulda used that mod in a heartbeat.

That's a terrible shame. I actually bought the game recently (I've been playing swtor for years and never touched a kotor game) and I'm sorry to admit that I'm having kind of a hard time getting into it. There are a few different reasons I suppose, but it sure wouldn't hurt if the game looked a bit, well, you all know what it looks like. Try to imagine how it looks to someone who's playing it the first time in 2018. I woulda used that mod in a heartbeat.

Yeah, I was also really looking forward to it. Although it was always a possibility that this would happen it doesn't make the situation any less disappointing.

:( Lucasfilm stomps Apeiron. That's too bad really it surely was creating a buzz and already copies of the original were being purchased so the Mod could be played for those that hadn't played it already. A Resurgence in an already Star Wars favorite was starting and Lucasfilm instead of fanning the (Star Wars) flame stomps it out. I guess if there's no money to be made nobody should have fun. Really sad when the Lawyers and Dollar signs outweigh the people.

Reminds me of CBS running around stomping out Star Trek TOS *Like iterations wherever people create them for a show they didn't even like decades ago.

:( Lucasfilm stomps Apeiron. That's too bad really it surely was creating a buzz and already copies of the original were being purchased so the Mod could be played for those that hadn't played it already. A Resurgence in an already Star Wars favorite was starting and Lucasfilm instead of fanning the (Star Wars) flame stomps it out. I guess if there's no money to be made nobody should have fun. Really sad when the Lawyers and Dollar signs outweigh the people.

Reminds me of CBS running around stomping out Star Trek TOS *Like iterations wherever people create them for a show they didn't even like decades ago.

Yeah it's sad, I get they got to protect their IP but c'mon the thing would require an original copy of the game... alas it's the world we live in.

i completely understand. Iv finished it few times when it came out and it was (and still is) one of the best games i ever played. Than i downloaded it recently for good old times and i couldn't even get off taris cos of graphic etc. so its not about you its just...its old