Sage or Commando?

RocketeerRaccoon

Having been playing Sith Sorcerer for a while I've suddenly grown a dislike to it, not because of my character but because of the Empire itself, they are practically evil and even if I'm light aligned. It's more or less my personal preference to be with the side that's more in the line of being good.

At first I was thinking of simply changing to the counterpart class of Jedi Sage but the issue is the lightsaber you have is useless after level 10, what is the point of being a Jedi if you don't use the signature weapon?

I could change to Commando but being a gun type class wasn't what I had in my, being a force user and lightsabers are what really makes Star Wars what it is so either I suck it up to the issue and just play Sage or go with Commando with the big bangs?

At first I was thinking of simply changing to the counterpart class of Jedi Sage but the issue is the lightsaber you have is useless after level 10, what is the point of being a Jedi if you don't use the signature weapon?

This is a good question.

There is a thread about it being merely a so-called "stat stick".

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

This is a good question.

There is a thread about it being merely a so-called "stat stick".

Yeah, I've seen that thread, it's crazy. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=547648

From the looks of things it appears that my choice is going more and more towards the Commando. I suppose they are better in terms of armor and health, and actually use their big guns.

Edited by RocketeerRaccoon

Yeah, Sith are evil. Evil, evil, evil. They tempt you early in the stories with some light-side choices but all the fun stuff is making people suffer! If the [shock Her] button does not make you giggle ever time it comes up, maybe Sith is not for you.

Are you wanting to heal or DPS?

Male or female toon?

Do you care about romance sub-plots or companion stories?

Edited by Dominoris

Yeah, Sith are evil. Evil, evil, evil. They tempt you early in the stories with some light-side choices but all the fun stuff is making people suffer! If the [shock Her] button does not make you giggle ever time it comes up, maybe Sith is not for you.

Are you wanting to heal or DPS?

Male or female toon?

Do you care about romance sub-plots or companion stories?

Of course I'm not into the evil stuff. I play a female toon and I aim to be DPS. I'm not too bothered about romances and companions.

Sage then.

I like the female troop voiceover better but then I have a thing for Jennifer Hale. The Consular female is well done but the consular male is so falt to me. I unserstand calm and peaceful as a jedi and I know it is very hard to pull off while still being compelling but the male consular is almost sleepy sounding at times.

If you want to use the ligtsaber more, you might think about a Jadi Consular Shadow. They have a very strong DPS and use two lightsabers. You lose the ability to heal but gain stealth. Being melee damage instead of ranged you will use your lightsabers alot!

Edited by Dominoris
Shadows can tank for most of the game so changed that comment

If you want to use the ligtsaber more, you might think about a Jadi Consular Shadow. They have a very strong DPS and use two lightsabers. You lose the ability to heal but gain stealth. Being melee damage instead of ranged you will use your lightsabers alot!

You mean double-lightsaber.

If you're into the lightsabers and a more Jedi-centric toon, why not roll a Shadow or Guardian? You can roll a Sentinel as well, but the other two offer the option of tanking, where as the Sentinel is purely DPS.

Only thing is my skill with melee type characters is quite rusty while I have more of a preference towards range type classes.

Well let me help you make up your mind then. The Force is no less iconic than the lightsabers for a Jedi. In fact, any one can wield a Lightsaber in SW universe if they can somehow acquire one. Now, the Force is what truly defines a Jedi because no Force= no Jedi.

In terms of animation, Sage will get a lot more flashy looking spells, especially if you choose the Telekenetic tree, whereas Commando have nothing special; bullets and grenades that's about it.

As for storyline, Commando is all about obeying orders and running back to your superior's office in Coruscant. No kidding about the running to Coruscant part. Every 3-4 class quest= returning to Senate Tower for 30 sec conversation then it's back on the road for you. Expect to do a lot of "Yes, sir; No, sir, Three-bags full, sir" in your story.

Sage storyline is just the general "Jedi- save - the- world- cuz- I- am- too- lazy- to- do- it" kind. In terms of Romance, Commando only gets 1 option while Sage get 2 if you are playing female.

Expect to do a lot of "Yes, sir; No, sir, Three-bags full, sir" in your story.

You CAN play it that way (and in fact, I do) but you absolutely don't have to -- and in fact, "just following orders" will lead to some very darkside options if you don't buck authority on occasion.

I'm playing my Commando as a kind of ... well, kind of "self-contained" character. He is currently at the top of his Squad, and so he's deciding on things as he sees them fit. This has come to some interesting chats with his superiors, but he is still - so to say - "his own commander" ...

Theran Cedrax and Lt. Iresso. You can choose either or, not both but then both of then are pretty terrible for romance. From the looks of it female JC are destined to be virgins forever.

Theran? I thought he was devoted to Holiday and turned you down before you could finish a romance.

Tharan is not an LI, he is one-night-stand at best (if you want to). And both - Commando and Sage is not a class to choose for flirting.

First chapter for Sage is a difficult one. Not everyone is able to get through, for Commando - it's a bit more emotional. But than Sage story become better and better, while Command is all about ordinary Hero Military service.

Try both, see the starting planets. The feeling is too different to choose without trying.

The Sorcerer was my second favorite story of the game. But I was power mad so it fit.

I liked the Commando story too, he was my second main character and got alot of play time. Very good if you want to be the hero without being the insufferable boyscout all the jedi classes are (if you're sick of evil, jedi will make you sick of good).

I'd say go commando, play as the rule breaking hero, savior of the Republic.

If you don't mind staying with the empire be a chiss sniper on the agent storyline. By far the most intriguing of the game, and kind of a loner in the shadowy intelligence service. Even the sith seem to be your enemy at times.

Having been playing Sith Sorcerer for a while I've suddenly grown a dislike to it, not because of my character but because of the Empire itself, they are practically evil and even if I'm light aligned. It's more or less my personal preference to be with the side that's more in the line of being good.

I could change to Commando but being a gun type class wasn't what I had in my, being a force user and lightsabers are what really makes Star Wars what it is so either I suck it up to the issue and just play Sage or go with Commando with the big bangs?

I've been exactly where you were before. Except I started with a Sage, loved it at first, but grew tired of it for the very reason you aren't enthralled with the idea of switching to one: the stat stick!

So I went and tried a few other Republic classes and some where okay, but a bit lackluster. Then I went to the dark side...and for the same reason you hate Imperials, I did too. Then I tried what some have suggested here...try bounty hunter. Range, heals, and you can play light side and tell the Imps to f*** offf...that is great fun.

Lo and behold...I got over my hatred of Imps because their classes, voice acting and stories were a lot more fun. I just play them all light side....usually. lol

Okay, so onto your solution. That's a tough one. You say that swinging a lightsaber is the quintessential image for a character in Star Wars; I agree to a certain degree. I'm sure many fans of Boba Fett or Han Solo would beg to differ. But you said you don't like to melee, but that's how a lightsaber is used by and large.

So where does that leave you? Well there is kind of an easy decision tree for you with where you also have to prioritize your wants. It's tough but you have to make exceptions. I have been down this path, many, many, many times.

Melee or Range? Do you want to heal?

- If melee, go Guardian. Great Jedi feel and you can DPS or Tank. Leaping around is great. Sentinel is an interesting choice I'm experimenting with now. They are solely DPS, but they offer great group utility in the form of group heal buff, speed, cc, a couple others.

- If range, Commando is great because of the heals and utility--but I find that class boring...it's like playing a character from StarCraft or Halo in the SW universe. Scoundrel is great fun for people, but despite him crusing around with two guns...one pistol one shotgun, he's basically a melee character.

So prioritize and go down the tree.

Then I tried what some have suggested here...try bounty hunter. Range, heals, and you can play light side and tell the Imps to f*** offf...that is great fun.

Lo and behold...I got over my hatred of Imps because their classes, voice acting and stories were a lot more fun. I just play them all light side....usually. lol

That's why I once created a Bounty Hunter for a try as well.

But my - purely personal - hate comes from a different point : To me, the Empire's side is so much more well designed - and the Republic looks like a bad, bland copy of everything else.

It looks to me now that the developers designed the imperial side first - that's my personal impression - and then just decided to do the Republic in a kind of "quickly done job". Like under time pressure after they've spend far too much time for the imperial side - like 60-70 % time for the Empire and 40-30 % time for the Republic within a fixed time frame. And that is what I actually hate.

Another point is that Bioware totally fell prey to ye olde "Good is boring" cliché, and that in combination with "Evil is cool". The whole game breathes it. You can see it very, very clearly with the plot line - Black Talon vs. Esseles - and the Republic side dialogs in general.

And in my case, this made me so much angry that I'm biased now. I like the Empire so much more now, because it is so much better designed, but I can still only play Republic, because the Empire is evil.

I just with BOTH SIDES had gotten the SAME quality of design.

"Empire has style. Republic has advertisements". That's how both Fleet Stations look like.

And why, why, why did the Republic have to be THAT boring ???

I'm spoilt now after I had been testing my Bounty Hunter.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer