Kinda disapointed with GSF

Oniralas

Been watching the development of GSF since it's announcement. I didn't get a chance to play on the test server due to travel, but spun it up today after it officially dropped.

I must say, I was expecting much more. The mouse movement rates are way overtweaked (even after I ensured any acceleration as low as possible) yet the turn rate of the ships is abysmal. Strafe is too slow to be of any use, and there is a constant throttle model - You are unable to come to a complete stop, only slow down slightly (which is fun when you graze the edge of a beacon and get stuck, ultimately dying due to collision since it's grinding you into the side of it...). Essentially, it was just speed fire runs over and over again with very limited tracking ability of your opponent. I didn't see a "lock who's locking me" or assist function in the keybindings, but I might have missed it.

I dunno, I was expecting Star Conflict level of dogfighting, but what this currently is seems more like a glorified version of the already existing space combat, sans the rails. I get that I must remain somewhat "arcade-y" and fit within the SW universe, but it still feels a bit rushed. Little things - like capture % indicators and whatnot - would go a long way for the PVP aspect.

I'm interested to see how this goes as things progress.

You are unable to come to a complete stop, only slow down slightly[/Quote]

"X" completely stops your ship. You can accelerate slowly, but there seems to be a minimum speed.

I didn't see a "lock who's locking me" or assist function in the keybindings, but I might have missed it.

"R" is the button you are looking for.

I recommend reading Dulfy's new players guide to learn more than what the tutorial teaches you before becoming disappointed with GSF: http://dulfy.net/2013/11/15/swtor-galactic-starfighter-new-player-guide/

NS was the button I was looking for...the NOT SUCK button...and I could not find it...

maneuverability sucks horribly

Yeah, "do not suck" button for the pilot would be great.

Also, pitch is faster than yaw, rotate that baby. Scout with full turning thrusters/turning upgrades is awesome.

P.S. OP is a baby.

Edited by Helig

Yeah, "do not suck" button for the pilot would be great.

Also, pitch is faster than yaw, rotate that baby. Scout with full turning thrusters/turning upgrades is awesome.

P.S. OP is a baby.

That. A million times over.

Also, why would you ever want to stop. You'd be the perfect target for everyone.

Also, why would you ever want to stop. You'd be the perfect target for everyone.

I find it useful to "latch on" to a surface not far from a satellite that I'm defending. Especially when I'm on my max dampening Scout.

Never heard of hugging the terrain eh? Ambushing? Popup sniping? Things that exist in other space combat sims and are pretty much required in order to survive.

I'm not suggesting you stop in the middle of an expanse and try to track targets. What I am suggesting is that you use cover to your advantage. Having full control over throttle (and having throttle decay) as well as viable lateral movements >>>>>> hard pitch.

"X" completely stops your ship. You can accelerate slowly, but there seems to be a minimum speed.

"R" is the button you are looking for.

I recommend reading Dulfy's new players guide to learn more than what the tutorial teaches you before becoming disappointed with GSF: http://dulfy.net/2013/11/15/swtor-galactic-starfighter-new-player-guide/

Read it, tried again. After remapping keys it's a bit better, but overall it just feels...weird. I've been playing SCon far too long apparently.

o7 and thanks for the link.

OP was pointing out the flaws in design. OP also has more seat time in combat sims than he'd like to admit, and welcomes you to come over to MWO or SCon if you want to learn how to actually maneuver.

Because different design=flawed design, amirite?

is it just me or are the ships way too slow?

I've only had a couple of games but was disappointed at their lack of speed.

I realise that you can buy engine boosters which I presume increase speed but surely they would go faster to begin with?

Or is it just me?

Because different design=flawed design, amirite?

Because different design means BW remade the wheel I know it's square now which leads to your car being bumpy but it's innovative. Just because you design some thing different does not mean it is good case in point GSF. The slow turning and targeting together make it bad design and a square wheel.

Edited by Neoforcer

is it just me or are the ships way too slow?

I've only had a couple of games but was disappointed at their lack of speed.

I realise that you can buy engine boosters which I presume increase speed but surely they would go faster to begin with?

Or is it just me?

These sense of speed is off. Under non afterburner scenarios it feels like I'm not even moving. I've already voiced my opinion on the turn rates too - granted I am playing with near stock ships.

I'll let it brew for a few months and return.

Fly safe 07