Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So...what is "credit farming"

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
So...what is "credit farming"

Hyryu
03.20.2012 , 11:49 AM | #1
I was curious what is considered unethical farming of credits. I hear some people rant about players waiting for chests to spawn or continually killing hordes of enemies in the same area to get creds...is this seriously wrong? I mean, if I keep waiting for a security chest to re-spawn and nobody else is around, what is the big deal. If there are other players that show up wanting the chest, cool, I will let them grab it.

Just looking for some clarification on what "credit farming" actually is and what makes it such a big deal.
Shadow Lands (MT OG!)
- Hiryu (50 Focus/Vig Guardian)
- Valtari (47 Watchman Sent)
- Valiz (23 Sage)

venomlash
03.20.2012 , 11:53 AM | #2
Credit farming as you describe is pretty innocuous. Where it really gets unethical is when someone farms credits in order to sell them for RL money. Personally, I think that camping a node to the exclusion of all else is a waste of time, and you can tell all those lvl 15s camped next to nodes on Ilum that I said so.
Quote: Originally Posted by MichelleArcher View Post
Hey there, all! This thread has passed the dreaded 1,000 post limit, and is now in fire. Thanks for the fun, but we feel this discussion as run its course. We will not be restarting this thread.
Jarrant Gartin, Gunnery Commando, Spark of Hope, Begeren Colony

notebene
03.20.2012 , 12:01 PM | #3
What your describing, nothing.

The problem is that act of 'farming' is not bad, but 'farmers' are bad.

You spending time sitting around where chests spawn to loot them, or killing mobs in one area over and over again for money, not a problem. That act is sometimes referred to as 'farming'. I use that term to describe my own actions, looting chests or killing to make money for no other reason than to make money (or running lowbie dungeons with lots of chests)...I'm 'out farming'.

Selling stuff for real world money is bad. Starting...what...10 years or so ago? You started seeing people selling credits for real world money, through various services. The way the company would get all that game currency was to hire cheap labor to level up characters and then grind out cash in an area. Nothing wrong with that act either. It's when the company then takes that stuff and sells it to you for real money that it becomes a problem.

Then there's botting, where people would write third party 'control' applications to run the character without there needing to be a human there to farm credits. That is bad. Some hilarious examples in WoW where you could 'trick' the botted characters to follow you, then drag them out in the ocean somewhere to drown. Fun for the whole family.

So people started hating 'farmers' because of that, which, in some ways is unfortunate. Someone offered them money to do something. Maybe money they couldn't ordinarily get. I don't blame them, I blame us. Without us to buy the in game items, there would be no market.

Then there's the problem with lumping things into 'bad farming' categories that have no business being there, just because you had a bad day. Can't think of all the times I've seen posts where people complain about how the company isn't doing enough to ban farmers, and it turns out it's just some guy, like you, that is willing to sit around and loot the same chests, and the guy is mad because you are there. You aren't a farmer, you shouldn't be banned, and Chippy Von Sandinhooha needs to re-evaluate.

Now, if you are 'griefing' someone while farming mobs in an area or looting the same chests over and over again such that it disrupts their game, then that's a whole other story. If you are killing 'all' the quest mobs and no one can complete their quests, that's a problem. As far as sitting and looting the same chest. If you got the time and money and stamina where you can do that 24x7, I don't recall seeing a 'no camping' rule? I could be mistaken on that.
MOTD - One Giant Server - When I'll Need To Make My 'Bucket-List' List 1. I'm not having fun any more. 2. Puritans. 3. One or more characters were renamed in a server merge. 4. Something given to 'all characters on account' are not given to 'all characters on account'. 5. Design by Committee.

Slither
03.20.2012 , 12:07 PM | #4
I think credit, drop, or materials farming only becomes a problem if you are interfering with the mission progression of another player. For example, Instantly killing mobs that are needed to complete a mission for another player. Especially when it is obvious another player is there waiting for them to spawn again.

I have not seen a whole lot of this in game.

Dinadan
03.20.2012 , 12:14 PM | #5
There's really nothing wrong with farming, someone might just be farming in order to buy one of the 1.5m speeders. Its frowned upon if you're farming to sell the credits for real life cash.

Kubernetic
03.20.2012 , 12:16 PM | #6
I've got a particular "sweet spot" on a planet I shall not name that I use for a fantastic 20 minute slicing run. It's not a huge amount but I can rack up some useful credits and just rerun the circuit every 20 minutes.

The tricky (and fun!) thing is, it's in the middle of enemy PVP territory, on a PVP server, so as I'm running the circuit, all of the mobs are friendly to me, but when I see another player, there's always the threat of attack.

Even still, when I see one, I'll stop doing my run and kind of hang out and spy on them a little bit, to watch and see if they're also slicing. If I feel particularly froggy, I'll just whisper them to ask specifically. If so, I'll stop doing my slicing runs and let them get the slicing nodes as they're clearing the maps.

However if no one is around and running that map, I'll gladly just keep circling and slicing while I send my crew out on missions and do some crafting.

I think in addition to avoiding trying to sell your credits for real life cash, just make sure you're being considerate of others' game experiences and you'll be fine.
Tekay —— En-ki —— Tékay —— Hassle —— Jaksen
Explorer (80%) • Killer (53%) • Socializer (47%) • Achiever (20%)
Excited Star Citizen — But ready to resubscribe when and if...

DawnAskham
03.20.2012 , 12:29 PM | #7
IMO...

Perfectly Fine: Spending as much time as you can stomach killing mob or looting nodes for materials or credits for personal use. Whether this is farming flashpoints, running loops for slicing nodes or chests, killing beats for bio mats, whatever.

Not Fine: Using a bot to do the above and / or doing the above to sell the credits for real life currency.

Bioware seems to have a grey area where it is not ok to do the first stuff if say you are a level 15 running a slicing or chest farming loop in a higher level area. Players have gotten warnings for doing just that.

They also have done things like increase the spawn timers on chests in certain areas or nerfed the drop rates of higher level items from mobs to reduce farming viability.

kevlarto
03.20.2012 , 12:33 PM | #8
I remember an instance in early lotro, you went to do a quest, and all the sudden you would get a tell from some credit farmer's that stated " We friends you go away now" I told them I had a quest to do, then I would be gone.. thats an example of bad farmers, farmng to sell credits on some lowlife site. I am sure most of us has farmed for some credits to buy something, and as long as your not causing folks trying to level in the area any problems there is nothing wrong with getting a few coins for yourself..
Do not dwell in the past, do not not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Expectations lead to suffering

Hyryu
03.20.2012 , 12:41 PM | #9
Ok. I think I have a much better idea of what is considered legit and what is outside the lines. I wouldn't keep others from completing quests just so I can get some credits. I also would only farm (I guess hoard may be a better term) credits to buy things. I wouldn't even be concerned with it right now if some of the crystals I want would still be available after 1.2.

Thanks for the good information everyone.
Shadow Lands (MT OG!)
- Hiryu (50 Focus/Vig Guardian)
- Valtari (47 Watchman Sent)
- Valiz (23 Sage)

FourTwent
03.20.2012 , 12:51 PM | #10
Sounds legit to me, but Bioware has been very fuzzy on where the line is.

All I've heard from them for sure is that they dont want the economy to get bad, and will stop anyone that tries to do so. Who knows what that barrier is though. If I farm credits for a full month and rack up 10 million credits, I'll be on their watch list for sure. . .simply because such a small % of the people actually have 10 million credits.

I dunno what their credit/hour ratio is for 'abusing' the system though.