Reroll or stick it out

Crodellk

I m still new to the game and I have a level 17 OP. I read that OP was nerfed bad in the 2.7 patch. So should I continue playing the OP or reroll to another class? My other choices would be between jugg, merc, sorcerer, or sin. I am 75% pve and 25% pvp player (usually pvp at end game after dungeon runs). I would like to dps, but have an alt tree for backup/boredom/needed. So which of these would fit me and is "wanted" as well? Thanks

As far as PvE goes, the Operative is just foine. They nerfed heals a bit, so Medicine Operatives no longer have quite the same ability to keep tanks alive in crisis situations, but have better healing in other aspects. (The change is that Surgical Probe, a free heal that consumes Tactical Advantage, used to re-grant TA when used on a target that was low on health, but now re-grants TA once every ten seconds when used on any target.) The DPS trees were not nerfed at all in PvE.

As far as PvP goes, Op healers are going to be a bit easier to kill because of the change to Surgical Probe mechanics but should still be viable. (Honestly, they were OP before.)

One of the DPS trees, Lethality (DoT-based tree), was pretty much unchanged and actually benefits a lot from some changes to Shield Probe, the Agent's basic defensive ability. Of course the other DPS tree, Concealment (close-range stealth-burst-backstabby tree), took some serious hits in PvP. Its opener used to inflict a knockdown, allowing the Operative to come blazing out of stealth and stunlock an enemy while bursting them most of the way down, and then being able to finish them off with some weaker attacks and slip back into stealth to do it again to the next guy. This made the Concealment Operative very good at picking off individual enemies, but could be countered by proper teamwork. Now the opening attack only inflicts an immobilization, which means that the enemy can pop a defensive cooldown and be able to withstand those first few hard hits, forcing the Operative to be in longer fights, which are not its strong suit.

My Scoundrel mains Scrapper (Pub mirror to Concealment) and I intend to keep running it. I'll miss being able to knock enemies down with my opener, but ah well.

TL;DR: One of the DPS trees was nerfed into the ground in PvP but not PvE, heals were nerfed a bit in both. Ops are still good otherwise.

I m still new to the game and I have a level 17 OP. I read that OP was nerfed bad in the 2.7 patch. So should I continue playing the OP or reroll to another class? My other choices would be between jugg, merc, sorcerer, or sin. I am 75% pve and 25% pvp player (usually pvp at end game after dungeon runs). I would like to dps, but have an alt tree for backup/boredom/needed. So which of these would fit me and is "wanted" as well? Thanks

Dont waste time with jugg, not for pvp any more. It great for all the rest....

I get really frustrated with this line of thinking. Keep in mind that class balance is very good and balanced in this and other MMOs. As mentioned above, if you like a class, play that class. Even Nightmare progression teams will mostly select players who are good instead of following a cookie cutter "opertives got nerfed so you're out" response. I've seen powertech dps with worse gear than my sniper outplay me by far in many raids, and I am not horrible myself. Play the class you have the most fun with. Balance will always be tweaked and adjusted slightly, but by in large, if a player is better than you, just because you're currently playing the most overpowered dps spec in the game and he or she's on the worst, he or she will still kick your booty in whatever you're doing, pve or pvp.

The 75% of yourself that is a PvE player actually got its DPS buffed :p

The 25% got nerfs from the overpowered areas, but on the other hand it got buffs to its survivability.

The funny thing is, in 2.6, when Operatives were made 'overpowered', the Operative community was QQing over getting sustained and burst DPS buffs when they wanted survivability buffs. Now they get the survivability buffs and the QQ is because to get it they lost a knockdown on their opener (though the opponent still has to use his rootbreaker to be able to face the operative and attack him for a few seconds, and now he wont be CC-immune if you use debilitate after the hidden strike). The nerfs arent nearly as bad as they say it is, but so many people deleted their operatives when this happened that they didn't notice that they are still pretty good. The few operatives who still play concealment have noted that the nerfs aren't end-of-the-world worthy anyway. It is still noticable though, if you got to play before the nerf that is.

I also noticed on my Assault Vanguard that whenever I face an operative now, they are either incredibly good and wipe me out without me doing much at all, or they suck so badly I could win by standing still and spamming auto-attack.

Now the opening attack only inflicts an immobilization, which means that the enemy can pop a defensive cooldown and be able to withstand those first few hard hits, forcing the Operative to be in longer fights, which are not its strong suit.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=734965

Notice the top performing sustained spec outside of rollbang? Since when was concealment bad at long fights? :p

Edited by TACeMossie

The first part of having skill is playing a class that isn't inherently weaker. Skill begins at class selection.

Skill begins with a class that fits you best. Merc is arguably not very good PvP but I find a way to hold my own. Not the best on the team but far from the worst. Skill is playing to your strengths and covering your weaknesses. A lot of pros choose to play an OP class just for the sake of being OP. And those are the most hostile when matches don't go there way. Just a mini rant nothing to see here.