No death, only Wrath: The Helicarrier Chronicles

bright_ephemera

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"My assignment took me elsewhere."

Weapons-grade compassion started oozing out of Rho's manner. "General, what happened to her? I sense the pain in you."

Rho raised his hands defensively. "I'm just saying. Some people behave less like murderous psychopaths when they talk about what's bothering them."

"I'm not some people."

No! I don't want a sad Quinn! :(

He needs to just be awesome! Which he already effortlessly is :D

Quinn gets to be awesome, it's true! And I have plans.......

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 42: In which Sergeant Rusk considers a change of paths

Time period: During Master Rho's campaign

When Quinn answered the ship's holo, the Hero of Tython's pet Chagrian appeared.

"You can't be serious," groaned Quinn.

"Sir," the blue alien said stiffly. "You gave us quite a setback. That was tough. But we're tougher."

"I'll have to arrange something more permanent next time. What did your master send you to say?"

"I'm calling on my own account, General. You've had the chance to see us and hear Master Rho's purpose. And we've both seen the odds. I want to discuss the possibility of defecting."

"Defecting? Sergeant, while the possibility exists, there is a considerable process I must initiate on my side of matters before – "

"The Republic will welcome Insanity Company, I know it."

Quinn lifted one hand. He spent a moment puzzling that one out. "I beg your pardon?" he said, very quietly.

"I'm inviting you to join us, sir. Insanity Company is the stuff of heroes, if only you were fighting for the right side. Your record is everything I have striven to be."

"Including the notorious fatality rate of your own brief squad commands?"

"Exactly, sir." The Chagrian seemed completely unselfconscious. "To serve with you would be a profound honor, sir. Except you're all seethingly evil, so I'll need you to defect to the Republic first."

"I have no intention of being any less Imperial. Or seethingly evil, however you wish to pronounce it. Furthermore, I don't know how you got this holofrequency, but abuse it again and I will show you what the Empire does to prank callers."

"The need is real, General. If you understood what Master Rho is fighting for you'd be with us in a second."

"I understand that you, Sergeant Rusk, are insane, and unlike Insanity Company you're also wrong. This conversation is over."

As the holo flickered back to darkness, Lieutenant Hareth crept in from the hallway. "He understands the glories of destruction," she announced. "He just fails to understand that he should submit to it for the Emperor."

"I think he fails to understand a great deal more than that," said Quinn.

"I can say one thing, sir," volunteered Captain Rutau, "if you're getting this many desperate warnings to turn back, you're probably on the right track."

Edited by bright_ephemera

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 43: In which Nalenne's domestic situation changes again

"Andronikos," said Nalenne, "I'll need you to run sniper cover for the Jedi Teacher's Union party we're crashing next week. Prep the big rifle."

"If I'm going, I'm down in the melee with you guys."

"'If' you're going? This is going to be the best game of the season, of course you'll be there."

"Says who?"

"Says your love of mayhem?"

Andronikos sat up slowly. "You know," he said, "I like you, but you've been getting a lot of ideas."

"Like…how beating up Jedi schoolteachers will be a ton of fun and you should be there?"

"No, like I'm gonna take your orders when I get there." He frowned and stretched. "I may not be around next week. In fact, I may not be around for a while. There's places to be." He hopped out of bed and grabbed the one battered bloodstained leather bag that held his non-weaponry possessions, and took a look at Nalenne. "It's been a lot of fun, don't get me wrong. I'll be seeing you sometime."

She followed him into the hallway. "You can't just go!"

"I believe I can, Nalenne."

"I'm the Wrath! You have to listen to me!"

"No. No, your apprentices and soldiers and slave have to listen to you. You wanna bang somebody who'll take orders, try the guy who already promised to." He stopped short and faced her with a small smile. "Neither one of us likes sleeping with control freaks. So let it go."

Nalenne stood with her mouth hanging slightly open, trying to figure out the logical puzzle of imposing her will on someone in order to preserve a relaxing freedom-loving relationship. The only solution appeared to be that she got to be relaxed and free while he served her every whim, but by the time she had figured out how to phrase that, Andronikos was gone.

Vette delicately cleared her throat.

"Why does nobody ever let me down easy?" demanded Nalenne. "It's always BAM, vanish."

"Probably because they all know you'll kill them if they try to discuss it at any length in person," said Vette.

"That's completely unfounded. I didn't have long discussions before I killed Quinn or Servant Nine or any of the others. Maybe trying to be tactful would make me less likely to execute them for leaving me, ever think of that?"

"I actually don't spend a lot of time thinking about how to break up with you," said Vette. "Apart from the whole 'trying to get out of the slave collar' thing, I guess."

Pierce wandered in from the mess. He carried a large frozen carton. "Ice cream?" he offered.

Nalenne crossed her arms. She wasn't that predictable. Not really. "Rebound?" she counteroffered.

"Not likely, milord," he said.

"Hm. I guess that would be pretty weird," said Nalenne.

"Very," agreed Pierce. "Here. Triple coco loco chunk."

"You're the best."

"I aim to serve." Pierce grinned. "Chain of command works just fine for some of us, at least as loose as you keep it."

Vette sidled closer to him. "Support operations on this are gonna be hell," she whispered.

"We can do it without a replacement toy," he muttered. "Tough job, but we've done it before."

Nalenne fixed Pierce with a suspicious look. "We're still on for killing Jedi educators next week."

"Absolutely," he assured her.

I'd just like to say that I love the direction the story has taken. :D Quinn being awesome is something that I will always love to read!

Nice to see him on his own, too... He deserves better than that harpy Nalenne...

A'tro, no saying bad things about other people's characters.

*pouts*

Ahem. Anyway, keep up the awesomeness! :D

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 44: In which the Master extends an offer

The holo brought up the familiar green-skinned Jedi.

"Lord Nalenne," he said serenely.

Nalenne hung up.

About thirty seconds later the holo chirped again. Vette made a face at Nalenne and answered.

The Jedi Kira Carsen came up. "Hey, Wrath. Uh, I meant to reach Jaesa, actually. I promise not to corrupt her to the ways of the light."

Nalenne hung up.

Pierce looked up from the Czerka-sponsored annual weapons issue of Duranium Man Adventures. "Milord, Insanity Company's been fighting that lot lately. They might have news."

Nalenne scowled, but called the Hero of Tython back.

"Make it good," she said.

"Wrath," said the Mirialan in his velvety voice. "Great matters are afoot. Sooner or later the Emperor will call you to act, and I need you to understand what you're facing."

"I seem to be facing a green Jedi with, if I remember right, terrible taste in comic-book idols."

"Byssin's the best X-folk. That's never changing."

"Forcito could cream ten Byssins at once. And did."

"That was an alternate universe. It doesn't count." Rho coughed and composed himself. "But that isn't what matters right now. We're moving against the Emperor again in self-defense. Because the Emperor plans to consume all life in the galaxy to ascend to godhood."

"Wow," said Nalenne. "That may be the coolest plan I've ever heard. You think he'd let me in on it?"

"No! Listen, he'll call you as his Wrath but he'll just be using you to protect his cultists' preparations. Then he'll kill you with the rest. Please, help us. The Emperor must be stopped."

Kira pushed into the holoframe. "And get your husband to stop calling in air strikes on us. We're just trying to help, you know."

The voice that spoke next was rich and cold and angry. "Rho! I told you not to call her!" The big handsome Sith known as Lord Scourge stormed into view, snarling. "What part of 'worse than useless' did you fail to comprehend?"

Rho gestured anxiously. "Lord Scourge, we should overcome our past differences and work together to – "

Scourge turned to look directly at Nalenne. "Wrath. Stay out of this. Drink. Fight. Indulge your legendary appetites. Continue practicing the art of irrelevance that you have raised to such infamous heights. My ally here has nothing else to – KIRA STOP POKING ME."

The holo cut out.

The holo room was silent for a few moments.

"Well," said Vette. "That was weird."

"And suspicious," said Jaesa.

"That was weird enough to make Jaesa suspicious," marveled Pierce. "Can't be good."

"Jedi clan layers deceit too thick to punch through. Sith clan should kill them all," clucked Broonmark.

"Killing them all might be smart," said Nalenne. "But I'm not exactly feeling up to anything but self-pity right now."

Vette sighed. "So we could leave the Jedi to their special brand of crazy while we go someplace nice for once?"

Nalenne wavered.

Jaesa wrung her hands. "They're threatening Quinn, master. And their infighting is worthy of investigation."

"Quinn's a big boy," said Vette. "He and his work ethic can take care of himself. Come on, retreat at the Infinite Buffet on that Manaan resort?"

"Infinite Buffet?" said Pierce. "For that I'm willing to suspend combat ops."

"Well," said Nalenne. "I wouldn't want to disregard the wisdom of the previous Wrath."

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 45: In which Quinn notes where he was and where he's going

"Moff Rillins, any information whatsoever would be useful in determining the Jedi's next move."

"I'm pushing all I can, Quinn, but the Sith aren't talking. You're going to have to hunt him with the information you've got."

"The most intelligence I have came from him, and Jedi aren't known for honestly reporting the information that will lead to their own destruction."

"Yes, they are," said Moff Rillins.

Quinn blinked. "That's…actually a very good point, sir. But what little he gave me is wildly insufficient for any kind of planning."

"You found him once. I trust you can do it again." Moff Rillins gave him a warning look. "I'd do more if I could, but our Sith masters have drawn a line, and if you cross it you'll be Force choked right back into your place or further."

"I am the last person in the galaxy you need to tell that to, sir." Quinn frowned. "Thank you for your efforts. I shall do what I can."

He turned from the holo and paced back to the big galaxy map. "They're actively blocking us," he said in a quiet intense tone, scowling at the map and its utterly uninformative data points. "Even worse than the Wrath ever did. I fail to see what solution they expect me to implement unless they just want us to burn it all."

"For this we would be rewarded beyond measure," Lieutenant Hareth agreed fervently.

"That seems a touch wasteful," said Captain Rutau. "After all, we are fighting for the Empire. The Empire would probably appreciate being more than scorched rocks."

"Sissies," grumbled Lieutenant Ritter.

"I don't intend to burn it all," Quinn admitted. "It's just a figure of speech I picked up during my last assignment."

"The Wrath was good at that," Captain Pandorr said. "I met her once on Taris. Boy, she was up for any kind of destruction. Wonderful lady."

Ensign Rylon finished checking his outsize sniper rifle and looked up at Quinn. "Whatever direction we do find, sir, just say the word. We're ready to go."

Quinn half-grinned. "The sentiment is appreciated, Ensign. I must say, in some ways Insanity Company is like being dead again. Perfect focus. Nobody slows down for anything."

"High praise, sir," said Hareth.

"I'm…actually not sure I personally like being compared to being dead," round-faced Pandorr said.

"There are numerous differences," Quinn assured him. "I'm simply saying the productivity is remarkable."

"Now we just have to reach the Jedi," said Rylon.

"A difficult task," said Hareth. "His failure to die was direct defiance against the Emperor."

Quinn waved dismissively. "He can hurt. I've seen him bleed. I've seen him forced to surrender and furthermore seen my allies come through it unscathed."

Captain Pandorr spoke. "Yes, sir, but you had backup lent directly by true love."

Quinn took half a second to process that surreal announcement. Then he took another four or five half seconds for the same purpose. "Is that what they say?" he managed.

Hareth and Ritter nodded agreement while Pandorr continued. "Yes, sir. I saw how she mentioned you on Taris, sir. Besides, my old unit took a vote once, ended up agreeing it's the most plausible explanation for your…recovery?…after 'you didn't really die to begin with.'"

"Oh, I really died to begin with. I just never heard the solution phrased like that." He shook his head. "Regardless. I have all the personal resources now I did then, plus the ability to operate comms and heavy weaponry. Now we have a job to do. We will find the Jedi. We will kill him. And if death attempts to interfere again, that's death's problem."

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 46: In which Niselle is really mean, again

"I seem to spend most of my time on the holo nowadays," observed Nalenne.

"Except when you're sulking in the pillow fort," said Jaesa.

"I'm really impressed with how much you've built that up," added Vette.

"Thanks," said Nalenne. "With any luck Pierce and Broonmark will be next with the next hauler-droid-load of blankets and pillows." With that, she made the next call.

"Lenny," Niselle said with an languid smile.

"Nis," said Nalenne. "Has Andronikos wandered by lately?"

"No, actually."

"Ah. He left. I thought he might have come home."

"Oh, he isn't back here." Niselle yawned. "He wanders off every few weeks. Really, the only surprise is how long he stuck it out with you." She quirked a hairless brow ridge. "Stuck it in with you. Whatever he was doing."

Nalenne pouted. "But how did…you married him, Nis. How do you stand it?"

Niselle giggled. "By not actually giving a damn about him, dear. How do you think I stand being related to you?"

"Spite."

"True. But things get very easy if you just…oh." Niselle's voice started curling luxuriously around every word. "Oh, dear. You didn't start caring for Nicky, did you?"

"What? No, of course not! He was a pretty good lay, and killer in a fight…inventive, tireless, always up for a toss, and he never once accidentally hit me when he was shooting everybody else…and he was really nice to just kick back and talk with…but no, it was just a fling. Nothing, really."

"You're a bad liar and an idiot on top of it."

"Don't tell me you don't notice this stuff."

"I do, it just doesn't mean I'd ever go out of my way for him. Or that I'd be silly enough to miss him when he disappears." Niselle smiled maliciously. "That's your problem, Lenny. You get attached. You start caring about people. You think they're worth something, you get involved, you waste effort on them. Then your natural selfishness wins through, you wreck it all, and you end up miserable and alone. You've got no one but yourself to blame." Niselle waited for a reaction, but Nalenne was busy sulking. "I'm feeling generous, so tell you what, I'll call if he comes back this way. Let you know he's all right."

"All right. Just don't give any squishy details when he does."

"No guarantees, Lenny. No guarantees." Niselle ended the call.

Nalenne settled on the couch and sulked for a while. Then she sat up. "She's wrong. Obviously. Still, why does she know everything about me?"

Lieutenant Pierce, his arms piled high with construction-grade pillows, stopped on his way across the room. "Because you're completely transparent, milord?"

"She was still way more blunt than necessary," said Vette.

"But she wasn't wrong," said Jaesa. "Still. I'm sure it isn't too late, master."

"You're trying to make me feel better," accused Nalenne.

"Well, yes."

"I'm going back to the pillow fortress."

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 47: In which Quinn makes a request

...things are going to start happening after this

Nalenne almost tripped on her own feet…and the chaotic tangle of clothing, weaponry, and comic-book paraphernalia…in her rush to reach the holo and answer Quinn's call.

"You're all right?" she asked, very quickly.

He held himself at parade rest. "There is no need for personal concern, my lord," he said.

"Oh." She suddenly looked bored and her voice was conspicuously cool. "Yeah, I knew that."

"I'm sorry to disturb you," he said, "but a difficulty has arisen that I believe you may be able to help with. I have reached the limits of my authority in investigating the matter."

Nalenne gave him a hard look. "Hi, Quinn. I missed you, too."

He nodded curt acknowledgement. "Thank you, my lord. The Hero of Tython is on the move, making dire claims about certain Sith plans – the Emperor's plans. I would discount them entirely, but there has been a rash of death cult activity confirmed by my own contacts." He cast a mysterious annoyed look off camera for a moment.

"I've been thinking. I wasn't very nice to you," Nalenne said, looking annoyed.

"Something is going on, my lord, and Insanity Company lacks the resources to conclusively investigate by itself."

"Not only do I miss just being near you, I would kill to be having sex with you right now."

"I would…there are greater concerns. Every factor is in place except the answers you can uncover. The Emperor's Hand may have some insight into the goings-on of these death cults – there must be an explanation and I hope it is something more rational than 'galaxy-consuming self-glorification plan,' but knowing the Sith I cannot entirely discount the possibility."

"Is that really all you can think of to talk about?" snapped Nalenne.

"If you could rendezvous with us at Grognan Station in the next day or two…"

"You call me up out of nowhere after you just leave – without a word to me, Quinn. Without even the satisfaction of a good yelling match! – and now it's all business as usual?"

"My lord, we can talk after this is resolved, but this is urgent. If this matter does destroy the galaxy then the social niceties aren't going to matter."

"I am not a social nicety!" shrieked Nalenne.

"You can say that again," muttered Vette from the reading nook.

"Quinn, if you called for a tool, you dialed the wrong frequency." Nalenne slammed the connection shut.

Then she headed straight for the cargo bay, where Broonmark was busily concocting another iteration of the combat adrenal that had thus far managed to sustain 20-hour manic energy bursts in the humans of the crew. "Broonmark," she said, "remember how I never took you up on that Fifty Torsks in Fifty Hours hunting challenge?"

"Yes," bubbled Broonmark, his lower right eye shifting curiously.

"I need something really, really gratuitously bloody. Let's go."

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 48: In which Nalenne learns a terrible secret

Time period: During Master Rho's crusade

"Master?" called Jaesa.

Broonmark knelt on the floor in the holo room and pressed his ear, or at least some patch of fur that might involve his ear, to the ground. "Sith clan chief is hiding two-thirds of the way down the hall," he reported.

Vette looked over. "What was that?"

Broonmark grumbled wetly and pointed at the relevant portion of the pillow fort that had spread out of Nalenne's room, down the hallway, and into a significant area in the holo room.

"Master," called Jaesa, "holo for you."

"Go away," yelled Nalenne.

"Milord," said Pierce, "I'll double today's ice cream run and add another fifth of Corellian whiskey if you just come handle this one. They've been beeping all morning."

"Nice move," whispered Vette.

With a shuffling and slight thumping, Nalenne proceeded down the pillow-and-blanket tunnel and stood up at the end, dusting off her knees and scowling. "Fine."

The holo revealed Servants One and Two.

"Not talking about work," said Nalenne.

"Yes you are," said Servant One.

"The Wrath is needed," intoned Servant Two. "The general's going to get himself killed."

"The general is perfectly bloody capable. If he focused any harder on the mission it would spontaneously combust." She set her hands on her hips. "You're going to send me after the Jedi, aren't you."

"That's a very imprecise statement, Wrath," said Servant One.

"Rho. Saint Green."

"All right, yes," admitted Servant One.

"I had word from him. And from Quinn. They say that the Emperor isn't exactly on my team these days."

Servants One and Two exchanged looks. "You've been talking to Master Rho?" Servant One said nervously.

"The Wrath is disastrously misinformed," said Servant Two.

"My boss is going to blow up the galaxy," accused Nalenne.

"No, he's not," said Servant One. "He's going to finish taking over quadrant seven and then take some time to rein in the rowdier Sith back on Dromund Kaas."

"The Emperor speaks of nothing else," whined Servant Two. "The Wrath should just clear those tasks."

"Galaxy exploding! The Jedi wouldn't lie to me, you know. Or to anyone. He's too stupid."

"He's been talking to Lord Scourge," scowled Servant One.

Servant Two spat.

"Lord Scourge has had it in for the Emperor for centuries," said Servant One. "You can't believe a word he says."

"If that's the case," said Nalenne, "Rho shouldn't believe him at all. Jedi can sense this sort of deceit; if Scourge were lying I think even he would figure it out."

"Lord Scourge has an uncanny knack for convincing people of things," said Servant One. "He was actually nearly useless as Wrath for years because he did nothing but run around whispering sweet nothings to the most attractive women in the galaxy."

Servant Two glowered. "The old Wrath was even worse than you."

"That doesn't seem like the Scourge I've met," Nalenne said dubiously.

"No. The Emperor ultimately burned out his capacity for pleasure in the hopes that he would get back to his ******* job."

Nalenne shifted nervously. "He can do that?"

"Yes," said Servant One.

"Now Scourge seeks revenge. Again," said Servant Two.

"Every few decades he finds some poor Jedi dupe to launch a crusade. He talks about visions, a chosen one, blah blah, it's ridiculous. And the Jedi believes him because even after Scourge was emotionally crippled he maintained the ability to sweet-talk people. It's honestly the most obnoxious thing I've ever seen."

"The Wrath was finally fired for incorrigible backstabbing," added Servant Two.

Nalenne crossed her arms. "If the Emperor is so innocent, why did Quinn say there are fresh death cults popping up all over?"

"That I can't explain," admitted Servant One.

Servant Two coughed and looked awkward.

"Something you want to say?" said Nalenne.

"The Hand has had spare time since we stopped speaking to the Wrath," said Servant Two.

"Time for death cults!?" said Nalenne.

"Being abandoned is depressing," Servant Two said miserably. "The general won't even call us. What else is the Hand supposed to do?"

"Your best coping idea was going around starting fanatical death cults?" Servant One said incredulously.

"Yes," said Servant Two.

Nalenne glared. "So the rituals were all a false lead, the strongest Jedi Master in the galaxy has been hoodwinked by the Emperor's angry ex-employee, and I am supposed to…?"

"Stop him," said Servant One.

"You're the guys who should have vetted your employees more rigorously."

"Believe me, I know," said Servant One, scowling at her.

"Shut up," said Nalenne. "Look, even I haven't ever seen the Emperor, not in his true form. And if he ever shows himself I have this crazy impression he's going to burn the fun right out of me for bad job performance."

"That is very likely," quavered Servant Two.

"So helping him doesn't sound necessary or healthy. If the Jedi wants to have at it, that's fine by me. Why not get General Workaholic to take care of it."

"We just might," said Servant One. "You are pathetic."

Nalenne dove back into the pillow fort. "Go 'way."

I do love Nalenne. She's one crazy chick.

The way Andronikos walked out is so......Andronikos. It is very in character of him. Even in game he's very non-committal.

Have to give it to Nis. Kinda makes me look at her in a different light. She's nuts, but she's actually very wise and very insightful.

Servant Two - umm.......he needs help. :)

Bright - thank you for continuing this story. I absolutely LOVE it!!!!

Edited by Soteirian

You go Quinn!

All I have to say is...

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 49: In which Quinn is offered a promotion

The call for Quinn was routed through the private holo in his quarters.

He blinked and bowed when Servants One and Two came up. "My lords." Then he stiffened, realizing what might prompt them to call him. "Is Nalenne all right?"

"Sullen and uncooperative as ever," reported Servant One.

"But the Wrath is no longer important," asserted Servant Two.

"That's actually the question," Servant One reminded him. "General Quinn, we have observed your operations. As you know, the Jedi Master Rho is increasingly becoming a menace to our Emperor."

"And a thorn in all our sides, my lord. What of it?"

"The Wrath must be competent," said Servant Two. "The Wrath must serve."

"She won't listen to me," Quinn said, "you know that."

"We did not intend to ask you to speak to Nalenne," said Servant One. He paused dramatically.

"The general will…accept a promotion?" quavered Servant Two.

There was a very long, very quiet moment.

"Please?" added Servant Two.

"Hold on, my lords, I am assigning priority to the objections. First of all I should verify. You are suggesting promoting me to the Emperor's Wrath."

"Yes," said Servant One.

"Second of all. The Wrath is traditionally expected to be Sith."

"That's not actually in the policy manual," said Servant One. "It was just sort of assumed."

"The general outshines most Sith," announced Servant Two. "We believe in him."

"Third. The last time you attempted to replace Nalenne you tried to have her killed. You may recall that there was and is nothing in the galaxy you could possibly have offered me, or offer me now, that would turn me against her?"

"The general is too good for the current Wrath," said Servant Two.

Servant One made a face. "We thought that in light of the sheer quantity of abuse she has heaped on you, you might be willing to reconsider."

"Think again. Even if she doesn't want me I'll have nothing to do with removing her."

Servant One scowled. "That kind of blind loyalty would be useful to us, as would your work ethic, and overall competence. You don't have to harm her; she can go about her irrelevant way. Will you take the job?"

"I already have a job. That was my fourth point."

"Captain Rutau could step up easily. You could even call on them for support in your operations. You are needed more as the Wrath."

"Fifth, I'm not even wrathful. That's Nalenne's role. I just carry out my duty."

"Oh. Very well," said Servant One. "If you want to continue playing with that incompetent batch of suicides while your failure of a wife bumbles around making a mockery of the Empire…"

Quinn's eyes sparked blue. "Those men are the finest soldiers I have ever served with. They're brilliant, dedicated, fearless, utterly loyal, and they deserve far more credit than any of you absentee 'supervisors' give them. Furthermore Nalenne even in her undirected state accomplishes greater exploits than any other Sith you'll ever meet, you…you treacherous hacks."

"The general is sufficiently wrathful," Servant Two said smugly.

Quinn started and looked annoyed. "Only when I'm being harassed."

"Harassment can be provided," Servant One said dryly. "The Empire needs you. Desperately."

"The general would get a larger salary for doing exactly what he's been doing," intoned Servant Two.

Quinn considered for a moment longer. Finally he said "I'll coordinate with Captain Rutau. This won't compromise existing operations."

"That's why we called you," said Servant One.

*squeals hysterically and then laughs from sheer happiness even more hysterically to the point of many tears*

..... *tries to gain composure and fails horribly*

Quinn is just so awesome. :D

"The general is too good for the current Wrath," said Servant Two.

Servant Two has never said a truer statement :D

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 50: In which concessions are made before the Dark Council

Servant Two called by himself. He cast furtive looks to either side while Nalenne scratched her head and tried to guess what he was thinking.

"The General is outmatched," Servant Two told her.

"What? Quinn? Outmatched? That's ridiculous. Tell me what's going on."

"Wednesday is impenetrably cryptic day." Servant Two shrugged apology. "The Council summons the Wrath. The Wrath may lose all."

"Like I care what they have to say. It's probably just Niselle trying to give me grief."

"The General is outmatched," repeated Servant Two.

"I'm still mad at him," said Nalenne.

Servant Two looked at her.

"If he wants to get himself killed in the line of duty with Nis and company, that's his problem."

Servant Two looked at her. His lower lip quivered.

"Dammit. This doesn't mean I have to be nice."

Servant Two just nodded gratefully and flickered out.

"This meeting of the Dark Council is now called to order," said Darth Marr. "This should be quick. General Quinn, the Hand of the Emperor says you're the new Wrath. That's ridiculous and we're vetoing it."

"I would not be so quick to defy the will of the Emperor, my lord," Quinn said calmly.

"All right," purred Niselle. "If you're ready to be the Wrath, you must be able to destroy any threat to the Empire. Overcome this." She lifted a hand, leaned forward, and sent a blinding stream of Force lightning at him.

Quinn, being limited in his abilities vs. Force lightning, concentrated on staying standing. And that brilliant uncomfortable position was where Nalenne found him when she walked into the Dark Council's chambers.

Seeing Niselle enjoying something activated a primal need, even deeper than the sudden sharp pain of seeing a not-her Sith punishing Quinn. She rushed forward and Force swatted her brat sister's hand to one side, interrupting the stream of lighting and thus denying Niselle her entertainment. "Stop that," she yelled.

The floor quieted.

Darth Marr nodded in Quinn's direction. "Very well. The Council will hear the 'Wrath'."

"They what?" said Nalenne as she continued toward Quinn. "What's with the scare quotes? And why are you looking at him?"

Quinn gave her a mild apologetic look.

"The Hand nominated a Wrath who was willing to work," Niselle explained. "Too bad he's too flimsy to live."

"I did notice that," said Nalenne. "Quinn, you realize that by answering their summons you walked into another painful Sith execution."

"If my job demands it..."

Yup, that was Quinn. "I know. You idiot. I'm here to make sure you don't have to face my sister alone." Nalenne cast a challenging look around the room. "Nobody gets to kill him but me."

"I'll admit I am…surprised you came."

She looked him over. His uniform was mildly scorched. He didn't seem otherwise hurt. Therefore Niselle would be allowed to live, for now. "It doesn't matter how much of a jerk you are. Or me, for that matter. These people don't get to touch you."

"Thank you, my lord."

"If you're a Wrath you're my equal, captain. You can stop calling me 'my lord.'

He gave her a strange look. "I'll stop calling you 'my lord' when you stop calling me 'captain.'"

"Not a chance." She liked the sound of it too much. "They could promote you to God and you'd still be my captain."

The look intensified. "Until my dying day." Quinn paused and frowned. "My next one, that is. And it may not expire even then." He started towards her. "But the principle remains sound." With a startling disregard for the waiting Dark Council he pulled her close and kissed her in exactly the way she had missed, the devastating dizzying way that probably meant he was warming her up to demand some kind of professional favor.

But he didn't.

"There's work to do," she murmured confusedly between kisses.

"I know," he whispered, and kept kissing her.

"Yech," Niselle called, and sent a stream of Force lightning at the two. "Knock it off, hormone-girl."

Nalenne sent a Force push her way that knocked her bald head against her high Council seat hard enough to knock her out.

"You know," Darth Ravage said loudly, "I can't decide which of you two is less qualified to be Wrath."

"At least Nalenne is Sith," said Darth Vowrawn.

"But the latest word from the Emperor favors Quinn," said Darth Marr. "What do you two have to say for yourselves?"

"We work together," announced Nalenne. Then, hurriedly, "but I'm definitely in charge."

"As you wish," Quinn said softly.

"See, you're smart, too," she told him. "I've missed that." She cleared her throat and spoke up. "I'm taking on the current project for his sake, but after that the work schedule is subject to negotiation."

Darth Marr covered his mask with one hand. "I hereby move to just send the Imperial Army en masse against the Jedi, since these two are clearly unprepared to accomplish anything."

"We'll handle it," said Nalenne. "Or at least get a good start before I foist it off on Insanity Company."

"There," said Vowrawn, "see? Everybody wins."

"I can't believe you're still defending this harpy," grumbled Marr.

"And I can't believe you promoted that brat who thinks demonstrations of affection should be punishable by death." Vowrawn gestured toward the still very unconscious Niselle.

"Better death than having to watch these two," said Marr.

Nalenne reluctantly broke her lock with Quinn. "Huh? – Right, um. We're just going to go." She squeezed Quinn's hand. "I got some critical pieces of the puzzle and I think we can fix this. Captain, if you have to...if you have to do the actual work first, I'll help you. But only because I really, really like you. Come on." With that she started heading toward the door.

"Thank the stars," muttered Quinn as he followed. "Dallying much longer could have spelled disaster."

"What was that?"

"I said I look forward to a happy future characterized by an acceptable work-life balance, my lord."

"Good man."

---

Here ends "burst of having wacky ideas for where to go" territory. From here on in I...uh...well, I guess we'll see! Guess I'd better write on to see how the current setup logically (I use the term loosely) plays out... :eek:

Note: Cross-referencing every background piece from the original NDOW run is almost prohibitively time-consuming, so, uh, I'll skip that.

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 51: In which, though this be Method, yet there is madness in it

"My lord Wrath." Ensign Rylon bowed, his red hair flopping over his fervid eyes.

"Wrath," echoed Lieutenant Hareth, blushing even redder in the presence of a true Force-sensitive Sith.

"Lord Nalenne, I never got to congratulate you on your promotion!" Captain Pandorr said cheerfully.

"My lord," Lieutenant Ritter said gruffly.

Captain Rutau bowed. "My lord. Welcome to the Method."

Captain Pandorr stepped forward as Nalenne's crew filed out from the S.A.B.E.R. Helicarrier onto the hangar deck. "Pierce," said the round-faced officer, "it's fantastic to see you!"

"Can't believe you ended up under Quinn's command, mate. You used to be better'n this at avoiding pain."

"Are you joking? Best commander I ever had. You wouldn't believe what we get away with."

"Still melting the innards of anybody stupid enough to eat, drink, or inhale when you're around?"

"Now more than ever. Still fleecing Cathar?"

"Don't have any left to fleece. The Wrath and I finally cleared old Rashade a ways back."

"Wow! I wondered why he stopped picking fistfights with our artillery emplacements all of a sudden. That scrap must've been terrigreat! Did it take the orbital strike I said it would?"

Pierce grinned. "Nope. Just took the Wrath."

Pandorr gave Nalenne a look of mingled respect and delight. "Boy, I can't wait to see what you do to those Jedi."

"The firepower concentrated in this room could vaporize considerably larger challenges than the Hero of Tython," said Quinn. "I look forward to it." He turned to Nalenne. "Anyway, my lord. You said you had information."

"Didn't you get the briefing on the way here?" said Vette. "We had a few hours, you must've asked."

"No," said Nalenne happily.

"Oh," said Vette. "Yuck."

Nalenne just smiled smugly and turned to the assembly of officers. "Anyway, Insanity Company, I have news you're not going to believe." She waited for them to gather in a close circle. "After extensive investigation, or at least gossiping with the Emperor's Hand, I've figured out that this whole mess with Master Rho is just a big misunderstanding."

The officers exchanged looks.

"It's the kind of misunderstanding where we can still kill 'em all, right?" said Rylon.

"Oh, definitely," said Nalenne.

Pandorr let out a loud sigh of relief. "Whew! You had us worried, my lord. If we came all this way only to not give 'em what's coming to 'em…"

"That wouldn't do," growled Ritter.

"The purifying flame will not be denied," said Hareth. Nalenne gave her a curious look.

"She's something of a death worshipper, my lord," Quinn explained quietly. "I've tried to break her of it, but it's an uphill fight."

"Ah." Nalenne grinned. "I do hate denying flames, Lieutenant. This should be good."

Quinn cringed.

"So their big Sith, Lord Scourge, is a con artist. He's leading Rho on a hunt as a personal grudge. The Emperor's not planning anything worse than pestering me about my work ethic."

"Scourge, that…that fiend," Rutau said earnestly. "A lie like that won't stand! It can't!"

"I don't intend to leave much standing, Captain." Nalenne made a face. "You know what? I'm going to call you Rutau. Anyway, I don't know precisely what Rho has been chasing down but I know it's all meant to bring him to the Emperor for a final attack. We're going to intercept him. You gentlemen – and lady – are going to strike jointly with my crew. We'll take out that poor excuse for a Wrath and then chop up his Jedi friends at our leisure."

"It will be a triumphant operation," said Quinn.

"It'll be the most fun we've had in months," said Nalenne, grinning cheerfully. "All right, Quinn, why don't you show me around the mothership." She grabbed his elbow – a concession he tolerated with something approaching unselfconsciousness for once – and let him escort her out of the hangar.

Ensign Rylon stared after her. "So that's the Wrath, huh?"

"In the flesh," said Pierce.

"I bet she could crush the Republic in three days flat if she felt like it."

"Most likely."

"Wow." Rylon's voice cracked a little. "Does she have a sister?"

Pierce choked. Loudly. The ensuing series of hacking coughs and wheezes might plausibly have been either laughter or a windpipe collapse.

"Come on, Pierce, you can't die yet, we haven't even gotten started!" Pandorr thumped on Pierce's back, which only made him wheeze harder. "You haven't even seen the armory in this place. Completely splendiferous."

"A thing of beauty," agreed Rutau. "The Empire doesn't stint for its finest. Come on, let's go."

A hacking Pierce staggered behind the other officers and Broonmark toward the hangar doors.

Vette and Jaesa stayed behind.

"Vette?" said Jaesa.

"Yeah?"

"We're in big trouble."

"Yeah." Vette looked around uneasily. "Tell you what, why don't we find a room to convert into a lounge, 'cause I bet these guys don't even have one. We'll grab a bunch of pillows from Nalenne's self-pity fortress, make at least someplace comfortable."

Jaesa fiddled anxiously with her hair. "General Quinn will formally cite us for it."

"General Quinn can bite me. That hasn't changed."

A note on organization: My ranks for Insanity Company bear no relation to any actual military structure. General Quinn and Captain Pandorr are both effectively accepting downgrades in their responsibilities for the purpose of this story. So it looks like this: General Quinn is CO of the company, Captain Rutau is XO, Captain Pandorr, Lieutenant Ritter, and Lieutenant Hareth each command a platoon, and Ensign Rylon is attached to Ritter's platoon.

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 52: In which we see an operation

"First platoon reporting," buzzed Captain Pandorr via earpiece. "Republic's off the east road. You oughta see 'em running."

"I do. Those cowards," confirmed Lieutenant Ritter. "Second platoon reporting, Republic guns on the north side are offline. Our odds are upgraded from ten to one to two to one and getting better."

"Third platoon reporting," declared Lieutenant Hareth. "Our glorious immolation at the hands of the enemy is being obstructed by the enemy's complete inability to withstand our might. Orders?"

"Continue killing them, Hareth," Quinn advised patiently. "Sacrificing their side for the glory of the Emperor will suffice."

"YYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" reported Ensign Rylon.

"He is just adorable," giggled Pandorr. "Keep at it, scout!"

"Focus," said Quinn. "Secure the perimeter and meet us at the gate. The main event is on its way."

The Republic armored column that was to have constituted the main event was a ragged cavalcade of smoking, shuddering vehicles by the time the main body of Insanity Company had converged on it. Nalenne and Jaesa kept leaping from tank to tank dispatching the occupants; Pierce, Broonmark, and Vette had taken charge of the first three vehicles to bring them in as badly burned but still operational trophies.

Ensign Rylon sheathed his vibroknife and stared as the lead tank juddered to a halt, leaving Nalenne positioned in a triumphant pose on top of the main turret looking out over the company.

She leaped down dramatically to stand before Quinn. She was smiling ear to ear when she proclaimed "This was a fantastic idea."

Lieutenant Ritter frowned as he looked over the captured tanks. "You might've saved some for the rest of us, my lord."

"Insanity clan is welcome to tank," blorped Broonmark as he climbed out of the lead vehicle. "Tank is very badly suited to Talz ergonomics."

"Oh," said Ritter, who understood Talz from his hitch on Hoth. "Oh, so you're going to take all the armored vehicles for yourself and then whine that the ceiling's mussing your fur, is that it? Maybe you'd rather be wading through guts with the rest of us."

"This would be acceptable," buzzed Broonmark.

"Oh," said Ritter, sort of losing his direction with his irritation now that he was faced with reasonableness. "Right, then."

"We should move on," said Quinn. He touched his earpiece. "Rutau. Courtyard?"

"Cleared of automated defenses, sir."

"We're ready."

"One gate coming down."

Pierce, Broonmark, and Vette dismounted to join Nalenne and Insanity Company while the Republic base's great gate slid open.

"You didn't even blow it up," Pierce said, disappointed.

"Yes, some of the unit's recent innovations include a modicum of restraint," said Quinn. "I've found it quite efficacious."

Rutau limped up to salute. "Sent a few scouts into the ancient tunnels, sir. No word of additional defenses…but no word of the Jedi, either. Orders?"

Quinn frowned at him. "Captain, you're listing to one side."

"Sir?"

"Seems your fake leg's a bit slagged, mate," said Pierce, pointing. "Were you taking out their turrets by kicking 'em in the generators, or what?"

Rutau looked down at the warped, scorched remnants of his mechanical leg. "Oh, that! Not really a surprise. Droids must've hit it while we were clearing the courtyard."

"You should probably get that looked at," Jaesa said anxiously.

"Psht." Rutau waved away her concern. "Happens all the time. I've yet to meet a battle droid that hasn't taken a shot at me, and I'm including some of our own; they always malfunction at the damnedest times. Honestly, I've stopped noticing." He grinned cheerfully at Quinn. "So! Shall we continue, sir?"

"Yes. Your attitude is commendable. Now, this entire base is built over the site of an ancient Sith complex. If the Jedi has business here it will be near the center; Rutau, the Wrath and I will investigate."

"Permission to brave the unknown dangers of this dark heart of Sith power for the Emperor, sir," said Hareth.

"…Granted. Pandorr, Ritter, pick a few people to go with Rylon and scout the tunnels. Kill anything that moves. Vette, go along with – "

Nope," said Vette.

"Vette, I am willing to acknowledge that your skills for this would be – "

"Nope," said Vette.

"Hey, Vette," said Nalenne. "I'm buying you the hugest cake we can find when we get back. You should probably go check some of these tunnels, make sure nothing's going to make our lives miserable."

"Hmph," said Vette. Then, to Quinn, "I do this for her, not for you."

"I don't think there was ever any danger of confusion on that point," said Quinn.

But the Jedi was nowhere to be found; neither could they locate a glorious sacrifice for the Emperor, an additional good scrap, or any soldiers less sissy than the ones they had already routed. They called in a separate Imperial unit to occupy this heaviest fortress in the capital city of a proud and warlike world that had stood staunchly with the Republic for over a millennium; then, since it was nearly time for supper, they packed up and left.

Nalenne edged up close to Quinn on the shuttle. "Nicely done," she said.

"It went well," he agreed.

"I like seeing you command. Especially when you're doing it to someone else. And I do like seeing you win." Ignoring the rest of the crowded shuttle, she leaned in to whisper in his ear. "We really, really need to do this again sometime."

He turned his head to look her in the eye, smiling a small but meaningful smile as he did so. "I intend to."