new PvE parsing idea for 2.5...

This is not what I'm saying at all dude. The TTK differential will give a perceived advantage to the execute classes. The percents won't change, but we're not posting percents on those threads, we're posing actual hard numbers, not ratios. People will look at the numbers and say "300sec TTK vs 310sec TTK, not too much of a difference. Oh wait, higher hitpoint dummy, 360sec TTK vs 390sec TTK? 30 extra seconds? That's significant". They're not going to look and see that the ratios of DPS are the same, they're going to look at the hard numbers. A 100 point DPS gain in a 1mil vs 1.5mil fight translates to an extra 8 seconds or so in the examples I posted. The class's DPS overall or as a % based ratio of damage done does not change, but the remaining hard number increases as the duration of the fight does. This leaves a larger number of actual hit points on the mob, meaning more for the other raid members to have to clean up.

But it's not the execute classes that will have the advantage its any class with higher dps. it in no way benefits one class or spec from the next if they do the same dps.

you are correct that a higher dps will gain more of a perceived advantage from the 1.5 mill in terms of ttk but that is independent of whether that class has executes or not. that's all I'm saying.

Edited by emania

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it's not the execute classes that will have the advantage its any class with higher dps. it in no way benefits one class or spec from the next if they do the same dps.

you are correct that a higher dps will gain more of a perceived advantage from the 1.5 mill in terms of ttk but that is independent of whether that class has executes or not. that's all I'm saying.

Executes are universally a DPS gain. If there is a class/spec where it is not, please let me know so I can NOT play that one :p. Once we hit execute range when I'm on my Sniper or Marauder, my numbers jump up 3-5% if I play it clean. To me that signifies that execute abilities boost DPS, and thus, by your own concession above gives those classes an advantage over the ones without.

Executes are universally a DPS gain. If there is a class/spec where it is not, please let me know so I can NOT play that one :p. Once we hit execute range when I'm on my Sniper or Marauder, my numbers jump up 3-5% if I play it clean. To me that signifies that execute abilities boost DPS, and thus, by your own concession above gives those classes an advantage over the ones without.

And DPS is balanced around Executes and Armor Debuffs. So any DPS discrepancies are skill, luck, or imbalance based.

XXThe leaderboards were still arranged based on who had the highest Dummy parse (so a Parse that did more on Dummy, but less on Scalar was still the top). Scalars were just an off to the side thing to note. I don't see how they disadvantaged anyone beyond telling people what to actually expect. I also always assumed the reason for no Armor Debuffs was finding a person to continually debuff a dummy or use Inspiration was a huge unfair favor to who could get someone to do that. So the current system was done. However now that

XXOn the contrary, Bioware clearly balances DPS specs based on how well they work in an Op. How about I exactly quote the Devs:

XXAlso, you ignored the fact that different Classes don't compete against one another on the Leaderboard. No Guardian loses their spot over this. The only people that may lose a spot is Arsenal (they were losing badly anyway) or Carnage. And all this highlights is how classes actually DPS. You are the only one I have seen against debuffs, and the fact that your spec is one that stands to lose this may seem to be for selfish reasons. In other words, it seems you are complaining since you don't want to get beaten by Annihilation again, because you want to parse in a way that inherently advantages you, which is too obvious based on this:

This wall of text was too much for me to care to read, here's what I felt was relevant

XXThat's really up for debate. I've taken it as a "You use what you can bring to the fight". If other people took the rules a different way, that's their viewpoint. When it clearly states you cannot use an armor debuff your class does not provide, I take that as what I said just previously, you don't have it, you can't use it.

XX They balance specs based off of PvP performance with some outstanding looks into PvE if they feel something is wildly out of place. a dev told me this at the NYC Cantina Tour. Explaining Sin/Shadow DPS is a different story, they didn't have a response for that one so I'm assuming it's also to avoid PvP imbalances.

XXThat point was to satiate the viewpoint that players look at the leaderboards as a comparison between classes, which I myself do to a certain point as well. Juggernauts and Arsenal Mercs are gonna be sour as hell, I don't see a reason anyone should have to endure what Sin/Shadows have :D Everyone wants to use Armor Debuffs because they want to see big numbers. There are still those of us who prefer that AR be restricted to classes with those abilities, just because there's less of us doesn't mean our points are any less valid.

I'm glad you feel the need to resort to personal attacks, I can start parsing in Anni just to prove a point if you like;) I'm sure your math works out the way you say it does, however my testing showed differently. This was back in 1.2+, but there was no change to the functionality of Anni other than Anni/Merciless being up more often. Perhaps 2.0 changed the game that much, I'll test it if I ever care to get around to it and if I'm wrong then I'm wrong, won't be afraid to admit it. I've already told you that if Anni parses better, I'll run Anni. Not a big deal, I played it from 1.1 to just prior to 2.0 and did just fine maintaining world competitive numbers. I still run it in some 16man fights, self heals OP for Hateful. I'm flattered you find me such a threat that you research me by the way, <3 :D

Edited by countpopeula

I'm flattered you find me such a threat

Let's say you kind of contribute to being perceived in such ways. And if one visits the forums from time to time you won't fail to notice, even without checking your latest post history ^^

it's kind of polemics ftw and a lot of times, I feel, there's much disregard for the person you're talking to and quite a lot of high-handedness going on. That's why I refrain from contributing to threads you are dominating, but that may just be me...

Edited by Ardarell_Solo