Expansion or Not an Expansion

Unwelcome

I am going to use WoW as a baseline for the expansion model. Everquest, which is on expansion 15 or 16 follows a similar method.

The expansion is released. It has increased the level. Also it has reworked talents, classes, spells, and generally tweaking everything, in order to keep things new and fresh. Classes have new abilities, granted there are always some balancing issues, but each class has something new to it. Sometimes there is either a new class, or new races.

There are many new zones, often a completely new landmass to explore. Usually upward of 6 to 7 new zones. With unique quests, daily quest hubs, mini games. (Hopefully Makeb has at least this). There are many new instances in the form of dungeons. Each having its own story.

There are often new professions added, and new patterns and items to craft for old professions.

Also there is a new Tier of raiding. Sometimes it is one large raid, other times it has been several small raids. These are the endgame content at launch.

Now here is where the $40 comes in. Over the next 2 years of the lifetime of the expansion there are several Content patches for each expansion. Each content patch adds in new features and usually new endgame raids or dungeons. These content patches are technically part of the expansion. Now you pay $40 up front for a LARGE amount of content. This $40 also carries with it several content patches they progress the expansion through its story, adding new raids, instances, zones, quests, each patch. The initial cost of the expansion brings a vast amount of initial content, and also a large amount of patched in content.

Where will Makeb stack up? I am curious to see. If it is just a new planet, with one story path for five levels of grind, and one new flashpoint, and one new raid. Is is worth $10? Yes, if only every 6 months they release another $10 expansion adding the same amount of content. But still... where are the new class abilities? Bug Fixes? Reworked Talents? New Class, or Races? New crafting abilities? Needless to say, i hope this game picks up the ball it dropped and runs with it. But if they start charging $10 for content patches, and no real expansion perks.. i just dont see a real future here.

Wow is the baseline for MMOs, it has been for quite some time, that's not unreasonable at all.

That said, I'm willing to 'go with it' this time and see how Makeb and the Cartel digital expansion work out this time, but if it sets a precedent for the future, I'm not quite sure if I'll continue to purchase. Just because personally it will just feel like an increased subscription fee, instead of a full-blown expansion pack.

That might sound silly, but I prefer my expansion packs in large bites, even if it includes a larger price tag. I justify the purchase because of the enormity of the content. It's a little harder to do with these smaller and (so far as we know) less inclusive expansions.

Uh, they've stated that there will be new abilities for this Expansion. Also, not every Expansion releases new Classes &/or Species.

Oh and they have not yet released everything that will be in the Expansion.

Edited by Altyrell

Now here is where the $40 comes in. Over the next 2 years of the lifetime of the expansion there are several Content patches for each expansion. Each content patch adds in new features and usually new endgame raids or dungeons. These content patches are technically part of the expansion. Now you pay $40 up front for a LARGE amount of content. This $40 also carries with it several content patches they progress the expansion through its story, adding new raids, instances, zones, quests, each patch. The initial cost of the expansion brings a vast amount of initial content, and also a large amount of patched in content.

Since you mentioned Everquest, I just wanted to point out that Ruins of Kunark, Scars of Veilious, Shadows of Luclin and Planes of Power did not function in the way you describe. They did not "add" large amounts of content after their release. At all.

Since you mentioned Everquest, I just wanted to point out that Ruins of Kunark, Scars of Veilious, Shadows of Luclin and Planes of Power did not function in the way you describe. They did not "add" large amounts of content after their release. At all.

Well, to be fair a few of those brought in large content themselves

RoK = Iksar (Playable Race), Continent

SoV = World Event that significantly changed at least 1 Zone

SoL = Introduced Luclin which was one of the Moons of Norrath, Vah Shir (Playable Race), Beastlord, Shissar (NPC Race), Akhevans (NPC Race), new game engine, new character models, gave players the ability to design graphical user interfaces, introduced Mounts and Alternate Advancement

PoP = New Zones, Portal System which gave access to the Planes

Actually a few months after RoK was released is when Veskar was added, and LoY is considered to be a mini-expansion (which I feel RotHC is just going to be), and most just consider it as an addition to PoP (was basically considered the casual group content that was lacking in PoP). And I can't be 100% sure but I do believe that both SoV and SoL had some pretty sizable content added after their release.

You guys are funny... It's ten bucks.

Yep, keep seeing the ‘talking heads’ tout it as 1/3rd the content of a ‘normal’ expansion, but, hey, its 1/4th the cost, so all around, a bargain. :p Besides, we dont even know everything involved in this pack. I pre’ed the day it became available because I can afford to toss $10 on it and not flinch.

If it goes live and is a turd, there’re always other games. I've played this one for over a year now and still like it and want the new content, so I'm willing to pay for it. If you're not, don't buy it. Not like this is rocket science or brain surgery. Buy it or don't for whatever personal reasons you have, I don't honestly understand all the angst and hand wringing over this simple action.