The Yuuzhan Vong

Tarbacca

I love Vong. They gave the Jedi and New Republic fits while nearly conquering the entire galaxy. Some of their bio creations were even freakishly scary. As far as enemies go they were one of the most bad-a**. Edited by Kilikaa

I simply don't like Biowank-species. Biological starships and weapons are plain moronic, since there is absolutely no realistic way they could ever be as good as non-biological materials.

To quote someone else "There is a reason we switched to steel". You can bioengineer a horse as much as you want, there is no way it'll ever be faster than a mechanical vehicle (it might have niche applications, for example it can forage food, which makes it better when you are cut off from supplies).

It gets worse when we increase the scale - you could bioengineer a whale as much as you want, there is no way it will ever be as tough as an armored battleship. Yes, it can heal if it gets damaged - but we can also repair damage to ships, and you can only heal when you survive - if you have been squished to little pieces, you won't heal.

Now if we increase the scale to that of starships, bioships should be ludicrously easy to squish.

Now if the Vong had been highly force-sensitive, that would have least been an explanation that would allow me to disregard their blatant violation of realism. Except they are the exact opposite, presumably to look more evil and to screw with some force-users.

I simply don't like Biowank-species. Biological starships and weapons are plain moronic, since there is absolutely no realistic way they could ever be as good as non-biological materials.

To quote someone else "There is a reason we switched to steel". You can bioengineer a horse as much as you want, there is no way it'll ever be faster than a mechanical vehicle (it might have niche applications, for example it can forage food, which makes it better when you are cut off from supplies).

It gets worse when we increase the scale - you could bioengineer a whale as much as you want, there is no way it will ever be as tough as an armored battleship. Yes, it can heal if it gets damaged - but we can also repair damage to ships, and you can only heal when you survive - if you have been squished to little pieces, you won't heal.

Now if we increase the scale to that of starships, bioships should be ludicrously easy to squish.

Now if the Vong had been highly force-sensitive, that would have least been an explanation that would allow me to disregard their blatant violation of realism. Except they are the exact opposite, presumably to look more evil and to screw with some force-users.

thats funny, because from the majority of the the books i read about the Vong, what they had worked extremely well, against jedi aswell, but OK

The New Jedi Order restored my faith in EU novels. I thought it was very well written (with the exception of Star by Star), neatly avoiding the insane power creep that EU authors had been guilty of for years (again, with the exception of Star by Star.) Yuuzhan Vong biotech was interesting, but it wasn't really "better" than standard tech, just different.

I do love the concept of Vong. They could very easily have been turned into "raging hordes," bloodthirsty berserkers with no other thought on their minds but the kill, but instead were written as though they'd actually READ The Art of War, and they employed its lessons beautifully.

While I agree that, at first blush, "the Force doesn't work" seems dumb, the EU had pumped Jedi up to such mythical heights of power that it really wasn't possible to provide a challenge for them any more, without said challenge having some way of resisting their Force powers. And the only ways to do that are to either make then Force-users themselves (the original idea, shot down by Lucas) or make them somehow immune to the Force. The biggest problem with the Vong's Force Immunity was that every author had their own take on it, leading to some vastly differing notions of exactly how the Vong were immune to the Force.

But what I love most about the Vong is how they managed to be portrayed as wholly evil, yet relatable at the same time. Enough time was spent exploring their culture and society that you UNDERSTAND them as a people, even if that understanding just makes you hate them all the more. But even then, there were enough glimmers of nobility woven in that you knew they didn't all need to be wiped out.

The series itself reflected this moral depth by really grappling with the hard questions about the nature of the Dark Side, aggression, and all the things that define the Jedi.

In all, I consider it one of the EU's masterpieces.

Problem is alot of Star Wars fans cannot take it when something comes into play that does not use the force but can beat jedi and sith .

Jedi and Sith are really rare in the Galaxy far far away , nice to see people / races /armies that can take on the Jedi and Sith .

The Force IS life.

Anything that's cut off from the Force is, by definition, not alive.

The Vong should, by all rights, not be able to live.

Plus biotech doesn't belong in Star Wars. That's some Star Trek BS right there.

Making stuff immune to Jedi powers because the writers can't come up with any other way to make them a viable threat is incredibly lazy.

I'd had just about enough when they dropped a moon on Chewbacca and the tidal stress didn't cause earthquakes to shatter continents and kill everyone on that entire hemisphere of the planet, as would have realistically happened.

Yuuzhan Vong is probably the single most dumbest thing for me in Star Wars. It doesn't feel like it belongs AT ALL. Jar Jar Binks belongs in Star Wars way more than this joke of a species/plotline. Whoever got the original idea for them should have just written books about them set in a different universe than Star Wars. I can't imagine a Star Wars movie, TV show or game with them in it that could still feel Star Warsy. The whole thing is ridiculous, and I personally will never consider them canon. Edited by DarthKaratus

Other than "all our tech is 100% biological!", Tyranids and Vong don't really have much in common IMO.

Vong are sapient humanoids, Tyranids aren't - a lot of them aren't sapient, and those who are aren't really humanoid.

Vong don't use the Force at all, Tyranids rely heavily on warp-based powers (the equivalent to force-based magic in 40K).

Vong have the standard warrior-race culture, Tyranids don't have a culture at all and are truly alien.

Other than "all our tech is 100% biological!", Tyranids and Vong don't really have much in common IMO.

Vong are sapient humanoids, Tyranids aren't - a lot of them aren't sapient, and those who are aren't really humanoid.

Vong don't use the Force at all, Tyranids rely heavily on warp-based powers (the equivalent to force-based magic in 40K).

Vong have the standard warrior-race culture, Tyranids don't have a culture at all and are truly alien.

"Alien invaders from outside the Galaxy that devastate everything in their path that only use biological technology and radically change the portions of the Galaxy that they pass through" is pretty damn similar.

I'm not a big fan of plot armor so the "oh by the way, the force doesn't affect us" thing seems lame to me. I've never read any Yuuzhan Vong books though.

It's not really plot armour. There is a resaon for it, but you won't find out what unless you read the books.

To be honest, I thought the Vong were an interesting break from the norm, but they could have been done better.

They were created to be out of the Norm.

They lacked being connected to the force, the force is life . Maybe that is why they looked like Death lol

They used much popular by Star Trek , Bio weapons , armors , and ships . Star Trek doesn't own this idea either , I like they do this compared to the Norm of Metal .

They had 0 Force powers but were able to kill Jedi , I also liked this.

I hated the way they looked , and didn't care much for their organs transplanting . That seemed a little weird but it was new . So in the end , you are not suppose to like every Idea a Author or Artist comes up with , but if you didn't like it you can also skip the books .

I'd had just about enough when they dropped a moon on Chewbacca and the tidal stress didn't cause earthquakes to shatter continents and kill everyone on that entire hemisphere of the planet, as would have realistically happened.

You mean when they destroyed the planet?

The New Jedi Order restored my faith in EU novels. I thought it was very well written (with the exception of Star by Star), neatly avoiding the insane power creep that EU authors had been guilty of for years (again, with the exception of Star by Star.) Yuuzhan Vong biotech was interesting, but it wasn't really "better" than standard tech, just different.

I do love the concept of Vong. They could very easily have been turned into "raging hordes," bloodthirsty berserkers with no other thought on their minds but the kill, but instead were written as though they'd actually READ The Art of War, and they employed its lessons beautifully.

While I agree that, at first blush, "the Force doesn't work" seems dumb, the EU had pumped Jedi up to such mythical heights of power that it really wasn't possible to provide a challenge for them any more, without said challenge having some way of resisting their Force powers. And the only ways to do that are to either make then Force-users themselves (the original idea, shot down by Lucas) or make them somehow immune to the Force. The biggest problem with the Vong's Force Immunity was that every author had their own take on it, leading to some vastly differing notions of exactly how the Vong were immune to the Force.

But what I love most about the Vong is how they managed to be portrayed as wholly evil, yet relatable at the same time. Enough time was spent exploring their culture and society that you UNDERSTAND them as a people, even if that understanding just makes you hate them all the more. But even then, there were enough glimmers of nobility woven in that you knew they didn't all need to be wiped out.

The series itself reflected this moral depth by really grappling with the hard questions about the nature of the Dark Side, aggression, and all the things that define the Jedi.

In all, I consider it one of the EU's masterpieces.

Spot on man, couldn't have said it better myself, I loved the Vong and though the NJO was a breath of fresh air to the SW EU!

Edited by LordDeschain

Honestly, I could take 'em or leave 'em. My problem was the series not the species. It just seemed like the writers felt that they had to take the Jedi and the republic down into the deepest depths of despair and then push them down even farther with each successive book. Most readers (I know) prefer their heroes to have some modicome of success even on their way down, the NJO had none of that. I simply could not take it anymore and stopped reading at about (what turned out to be) the half way point in the series.