DPS Meter Needed to keep people playing.

Tehrin

1.) Competitive gameplay (if you are afraid of this, you are terrible)

2.) So gear checking is not so prevalent for your alt (Skill > Gear)

3.) It'd be nice to know who Soa Nightmare is going to if the tank gets Mind trapped

4.) I would like to flaunt my ePeen.

Edited by Tehrin

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me explain my title, the reason a player gets gear is to improve his/her character to do bigger and better encounters and a visual way of seeing this is a DPS/HPS meter. Without this, I am quickly losing interest. After doing hard mode and nightmare mode there is just no reason to play anymore. Dailies are useless for raiders, raids are quickly becoming useless for the majority of my guild.

If a DPS/HPS meter is added, at the very least we will be able to have another level of competition in the game.

It should be a simple process to add a combat log right?

There's another game that has one of those... What was it? ...

If a DPS/HPS meter is added, at the very least we will be able to have another level of competition in the game.

Translation" "I want a DPS/HPS meter so it can be used to create an imaginary heirarchy of bragging rights and faulty perceptions regarding player skill even though people are completing end game content without one just fine."

BTW: We're getting personal combat logs...BW already said that, and you'll be able to check yourself all you want. As for dps/hps METERS, that's a different thing and nobody knows if it will be included in the personal combat log or if you'll be able to use it to throw up screenshots to compare "size."

Edited by Blotter

You make a good case for Damange and Healing meters for raids, however, meters are often used to exclude people or kick people from groups. Sorry your DPS is not where it should we better get another who has higher DPS. All of a sudden the game becomes gear gated, because a player may not have top tiered equipment, or a player is kicked because he does .2% less dps then his class should.

Sorry to say I don't support meters, if you are killing mobs, then dps is fine or the healing is fine, enough said.

Translation" "I want a DPS/HPS meter so it can be used to create an imaginary heirarchy of bragging rights and faulty perceptions regarding player skill even though people are completing end game content without one just fine."

amen.

.my vote is 'NO' on a hate meter as well.

I hope they never add a dps meter function just so the fake wall of "Look how awsome I am" goes away. High or Highest DPS doesn't make you a good group member, it doesn't make you a better player, its just some fake *** way to say "I'm better than you cause I do more damage even if I nearly died and wasted the healer's time since I'm so awsome i'll tank too!" Edited by Kindara

lol WUT?

i never played WoW

have played MMO's for almost 15 years well before WoW came out and copied so much fro ultima and EQ

ive never used a meter becuase WoW is practically only game with add-ons and i never played wow cept for about a month and hated graphics

so why is it an MMO "NEEDS" add-ons again?

ill grant you an in-game standard damage log like most all MMOS have is a bit lame

but i would guess they are scared to allow a combat log becuase players would instantly see how unbalanced the pvp is in relation to IMP vs republics and just how bad all the little advantages the pet faction of devs imps add up to be ... seriously unbalancing pvp

Edited by Trushott

Lol so, while I agree the game needs more modability to aid endgame and player improvement, if the only thing that will keep you here is a DPS meter, you're probably one of those people who never, ever should have been introduced to the concept.

And I hate you with the power of a thousand suns. >:|

b) Is it combat log or DPS meter? They're different, or didn't you know?

A combat log allows for the creation of a DPS meter.

Don't ask for a DPS meter. That's just asking for the underlying problem -- i.e. no mods -- to continue.

Ask for a combat log and a modding API, otherwise the entire life of this game will be people asking for things.

BioWare should do what WoW's devs did. Add macros, a combat log, and a modding API, and then they can just forget about the UI altogether.

Let me explain my title, the reason a player gets gear is to improve his/her character to do bigger and better encounters and a visual way of seeing this is a DPS/HPS meter. Without this, I am quickly losing interest. After doing hard mode and nightmare mode there is just no reason to play anymore. Dailies are useless for raiders, raids are quickly becoming useless for the majority of my guild.

So your whole enjoyment of this game <even though you knew it didn't have one> will depend on if they put in a combat meter LOL! One of the more ridiculous excuses to ask for a meter when content is being completed without them.

What server are you on so I make sure I don't create a character there?

a) No, they don't.

c) Use the forum search function.

They are not different - if we get a combat log, any body could make an out of game parser.

lol, nice try. :rolleyes:

All of a sudden the game becomes gear gated, because a player may not have top tiered equipment, or a player is kicked because he does .2% less dps then his class should.
Meters don't contribute to gear gating. If anything, dps meters allows skilled players to actually overcome gear gating.

people who will gear gate you will do so with or without a meter...

without a meter, it's just all about "do you have the purples"

with a meter, you can answer back with "no, but I do X dps" and can demonstrate it.

a) No, they don't.
as far as I'm aware, most, if not all, do. Which ones are you thinking of that lack them?

They're functionally equivalent. A combat log means that you have dps meters (albeit, 3rd party ones that work via overlay). Edited by ferroz

Those that claim they don't want a combat log/ DPS meter because it is used to exclude people - don't pug?

Additionaly, yes after you clear nightmare mode raids, there is NOTHING TO DO. Raids no longer give you gear, possible you already got the helm from karraga and both mounts.

Which is what alot of my guild has, thus the only thing we have to look forward to is competeting with each other.

I hope they never add a dps meter function just so the fake wall of "Look how awsome I am" goes away. High or Highest DPS doesn't make you a good group member, it doesn't make you a better player, its just some fake *** way to say "I'm better than you cause I do more damage even if I nearly died and wasted the healer's time since I'm so awsome i'll tank too!"

That. Right there is why DPS meters are useless. When I first started WoW, I was a DPS character. I was obsessed with getting the top DPS I could. My friend who has been playing WoW for years played with me most of the time. When I kept getting agro, he told me"stop attacking and let the tank get control again".

On my 85 death knight, I can easily get 16K DPS without breaking a sweat. I never do though, I try to keep my agro down and let the tank regain control if I did too much damage.

If they need to add anything before anything else, it should be a threat meter.

Edited by Nighthawked

Lol so, while I agree the game needs more modability to aid endgame and player improvement, if the only thing that will keep you here is a DPS meter, you're probably one of those people who never, ever should have been introduced to the concept.

And I hate you with the power of a thousand suns. >:|

Quoting this since it saves me from just saying the same thing.

If SWTOR really wants to be healthy, they'll let players that are bad for the game community go ahead and unsubscribe. Trying to please everyone is impossible, it just ruins the game across the board.

Those that claim they don't want a combat log/ DPS meter because it is used to exclude people - don't pug?

Additionaly, yes after you clear nightmare mode raids, there is NOTHING TO DO. Raids no longer give you gear, possible you already got the helm from karraga and both mounts.

Which is what alot of my guild has, thus the only thing we have to look forward to is competeting with each other.

You and your guild are the exact types of players that have killed Warcraft. Please go back there.