An in-depth look at: Force Powers

Aurbere

"The Force is what gives a Jedi his power."- Obi-Wan Kenobi

This is the first installment in our look at Force Powers. There are many powers out there. And I don't think I can cover them all. This thread series will cover many Force power. Rare and common. This specific thread will discuss the Force itself, as it applies to Force Powers.

The Force, in the timeless words of Ben Kenobi, is an energy field that surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together. The Force is present in all things. Plants, people, even objects.

The Force is comprised of two sides: Light and Dark. And each side affects an individual differently. Just as each individual uses the Force differently. Jedi and Sith use the Force differently, as both use different sides. The Jedi walk the path of the Light, while the Sith embrace the Dark Side. And each side has different powers it grants to those who follow it.

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack*. A Jedi uses the Force to aid allies in battle, either through healing or pushing an enemy away to save an ally. Through deep meditation and years of study, the Jedi can increase their command of the Force, not for their benefit but for the benefit of the galaxy.

The Sith command the Dark Side of the Force. The Sith use the power given to them by the Dark Side to destroy their enemies. Whether they use the Force to project streams of Lightning from their fingerprints, or to physically crush their enemies. The Sith gain access to powerful abilities. But they use this power for their own means, to further their own goals.

The Force is still mysterious, and not everything is known of it. In this thread series, I will discuss several of the Force powers that are known.

*Who said that?

If you have a topic you would like to see in the future, post them below or PM me.

Please do Vader, I really want to learn more about what goes on between the movies, but cant get any new books atm.

Don't worry. I will be getting to Vader. There are a few other characters I want to get to first. But Vader is definately going to be on my list.

Don't worry. I will be getting to Vader. There are a few other characters I want to get to first. But Vader is definately going to be on my list.

Aw, could I do Anakin then? :p They are different people!....Sort of....remember what he said?

"That name, no longer has any meaning for me."

Aw, could I do Anakin then? :p They are different people!....Sort of....remember what he said?

"That name, no longer has any meaning for me."

Sure. They are kind of different people and I would have addressed Anakin and Vader in seperate threads anyway.

Maybe do something about beliefs about the Force - what you said about the Force is only one view of it, I think your talking about the living force. Theres unifying force, potentium, insidious force etcera etcera.

As for force powers, battle meditation and force storm would be interesting.

Maybe do something about beliefs about the Force - what you said about the Force is only one view of it, I think your talking about the living force. Theres unifying force, potentium, insidious force etcera etcera.

As for force powers, battle meditation and force storm would be interesting.

Yes. There are several different beliefs about the Force and several Force cults throughout the galaxy. I think will be covering those later on. Probably after I'm done with Force powers.

Great. I can't wait for "Wall of Light"/"Sever Force".

The Force is comprised of two sides: Light and Dark. And each side affects an individual differently. Just as each individual uses the Force differently. Jedi and Sith use the Force differently, as both use different sides. The Jedi walk the path of the Light, while the Sith embrace the Dark Side. And each side has different powers it grants to those who follow it.

I'm not sure if Light and Dark are really completely different. Most lightside or darkside powers seem to have a very similar power on the other side.

Personally, I think the dark side is primarily just a twisted version of the light side. (A darksider might describe the same thing as "the light side is a watered down version of the dark side" though.)

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack*. A Jedi uses the Force to aid allies in battle, either through healing or pushing an enemy away to save an ally. Through deep meditation and years of study, the Jedi can increase their command of the Force, not for their benefit but for the benefit of the galaxy.

But Jedi do use some offensive Force techniques, don't they? If they want to capture an enemy, for example.

*Yoda

Great. I can't wait for "Wall of Light"/"Sever Force".

I'm not sure if Light and Dark are really completely different. Most lightside or darkside powers seem to have a very similar power on the other side.

Personally, I think the dark side is primarily just a twisted version of the light side. (A darksider might describe the same thing as "the light side is a watered down version of the dark side" though.)

But Jedi do use some offensive Force techniques, don't they? If they want to capture an enemy, for example.

*Yoda

Yeah, both sides have access to "universal" powers such as Push and such.

In that scenario, they usually use something like Push or something similar to incapacitate an enemy. Nothing too damaging if they can avoid it, whereas the Sith will focus on killing the enemy or capturing them in the most painful way possible.

*Yup! :)

Yeah, both sides have access to "universal" powers such as Push and such.

It's more than that. Both sides have some sort of Force lightning, though the dark side's is more destructive while the light sides more effective in incapacitating the opponent. Both sides have healing techniques, though dark healing has more downsides.

In that scenario, they usually use something like Push or something similar to incapacitate an enemy. Nothing too damaging if they can avoid it, whereas the Sith will focus on killing the enemy or capturing them in the most painful way possible.

I'm not sure if Force stun is just a game mechanic, but if it is not, I would certainly describe it is offensive. It is also without permanent demage, but still so effective that a Sith would also use it. In cases like this the context (what they want to do with the prisoner) is the difference between them.

It's more than that. Both sides have some sort of Force lightning, though the dark side's is more destructive while the light sides more effective in incapacitating the opponent. Both sides have healing techniques, though dark healing has more downsides.

I'm not sure if Force stun is just a game mechanic, but if it is not, I would certainly describe it is offensive. It is also without permanent demage, but still so effective that a Sith would also use it. In cases like this the context (what they want to do with the prisoner) is the difference between them.

Each side uses the "universal" powers differently. Jedi are more passive aggressive where the Sith are more aggressive with their use. In the case of Force Lightning, the Jedi don't approve of the use of it unless they can control it. Sith use the power no matter what. It's become a sort of trademark where pretty much every Sith uses it.

I don't think Force stun is an actual power. It may be more similar to some form of mind trick. But if it is real, I wouldn't consider it an offensive power. To me, offensive powers are ones that cause actual physical damage.

Each side uses the "universal" powers differently. Jedi are more passive aggressive where the Sith are more aggressive with their use. In the case of Force Lightning, the Jedi don't approve of the use of it unless they can control it. Sith use the power no matter what. It's become a sort of trademark where pretty much every Sith uses it.

Yeah, I know the Jedi are careful with Force lightning. The point I am trying to make is that there are no completely exclusive Force powers. Every dark (or light) power is a modification on some "universal" power. Maybe this series will convince me otherwise, if you can show totally exclusive powers.

I don't think Force stun is an actual power. It may be more similar to some form of mind trick. But if it is real, I wouldn't consider it an offensive power. To me, offensive powers are ones that cause actual physical damage.

Well, then another example: Would a Jedi use telekinesis to break his opponents arm?

Yeah, I know the Jedi are careful with Force lightning. The point I am trying to make is that there are no completely exclusive Force powers. Every dark (or light) power is a modification on some "universal" power. Maybe this series will convince me otherwise, if you can show totally exclusive powers.

Well, then another example: Would a Jedi use telekinesis to break his opponents arm?

True. Each side has certain "modifications" of universal powers.

Probably not. Maybe if they are pushed to the edge. But a Jedi usually tries to end a battle in the least violent ways. Usually just trying to disarm an enemy. The Sith would though.

True. Each side has certain "modifications" of universal powers.

Probably not. Maybe if they are pushed to the edge. But a Jedi usually tries to end a battle in the least violent ways. Usually just trying to disarm an enemy. The Sith would though.

OK; that's what I meant :)

Well, as a Jedi I certainly would rather use the Force to break his arm than using a lightsaber to cut it off. And as a Sith I would use the Force to rip his arm off :jawa_evil:

Edited by Maaruin

Well, as a Jedi I certainly would rather use the Force to break his arm than using a lightsaber to cut it off. And as a Sith I would use the Force to rip his arm off :jawa_evil:

That's the thing, though. It's a matter of perspective. It's not set in stone what a Jedi would do. The OP set forth the general idea of what Jedi and Sith would prefer to do in battle. But its not absolute.

Personally, I would try to beat my opponent without permanently damaging them. The opposite if I were Sith.

That's the thing, though. It's a matter of perspective. It's not set in stone what a Jedi would do. The OP set forth the general idea of what Jedi and Sith would prefer to do in battle. But its not absolute.

Personally, I would try to beat my opponent without permanently damaging them. The opposite if I were Sith.

I see.

But unfortunately the OT also has a very bad scene I can't explain away: When Luke throws his opponents into the Sarlacc pit. I would have no objection if he would mercilessly cut them down and I can even accept him blowing up Jabba's sailing barge. But that is just...

I think they didn't think about it when making this scene, because it is totally not Jedi like and also not really in character for Luke at this point.

I see.

But unfortunately the OT also has a very bad scene I can't explain away: When Luke throws his opponents into the Sarlacc pit. I would have no objection if he would mercilessly cut them down and I can even accept him blowing up Jabba's sailing barge. But that is just...

I think they didn't think about it when making this scene, because it is totally not Jedi like and also not really in character for Luke at this point.

Maybe it was an accident or heat of the moment sort of thing. Like a "Get out of my way!" thing. :p

I personally don't really think that it is just like: there is light and there is dark. It is, in my opinion, a lot more complicated. There could be e.g. a Jedi who seeks revenge for something and therefore hurts those responsible, while he doesn't hurt innocents, or a Sith with honor, who doesn't hurt or kill people just for fun.

I personally don't really think that it is just like: there is light and there is dark. It is, in my opinion, a lot more complicated. There could be e.g. a Jedi who seeks revenge for something and therefore hurts those responsible, while he doesn't hurt innocents, or a Sith with honor, who doesn't hurt or kill people just for fun.

That's actually more of a morals thing. Several Jedi have sought revenge and it drew them to the Dark Side. Qui-Gon Jinn was one of them. The path of revenge usually leads to the Dark Side. There are some Sith that fight with honor, but they are few and far between. Dooku is an example of such a Sith. When it comes to the Force, it is Light and Dark.

• 2 months later...