that learning curve

zurlond

so ive been playn gsf for about a week hardcore. in that time i whent from ok to almost were i was in skill lv in galaxies (pritty good). my question to pilots at one point did u realise that ok im actualy good at GSF.

so ive been playn gsf for about a week hardcore. in that time i whent from ok to almost were i was in skill lv in galaxies (pritty good). my question to pilots at one point did u realise that ok im actualy good at GSF.

I think the best litmus test is when you switch to an unupgraded ship and still manage to score at or near the top. Not only is that good evidence that you know how to fly, but it also refutes the argument that top scorers get there just because of their upgrades.

I think the best litmus test is when you switch to an unupgraded ship and still manage to score at or near the top. Not only is that good evidence that you know how to fly, but it also refutes the argument that top scorers get there just because of their upgrades.

i actualy gave that a shot yesterday my nova is almost maxed so i decided to try my guard out that has no upgrades was still upper mid leader board but it was mostly assist defending points vs kills capturing in my nova. btw totaly like speed and evasion alot more than a few extra guns/beefy shields.

The milestones could be like this (ascending order)

- You don't self-destruct before first satellite is taken

- You see yellow numbers flying on your screen

- You get a medal

- You get an assist

- You get a kill

- You get a combat achievement

- You earn 1000+ Requisition in a match

- You top the scoreboard in one statistic

- You rarely self-destruct when using missile evade ability

- You run out of missiles

- You top the scoreboard in most statistics

The milestones could be like this (ascending order)

- You don't self-destruct before first satellite is taken

- You see yellow numbers flying on your screen

- You get a medal

- You get an assist

- You get a kill

- You get a combat achievement

- You earn 1000+ Requisition in a match

- You top the scoreboard in one statistic

- You rarely self-destruct when using missile evade ability

- You run out of missiles

- You top the scoreboard in most statistics

I'd mostly agree, though the last pint only occasionally. If you constantly top the scoreboard your either not performing your team role or your faction is sad.

Fact is I've been through all of those milestones and consider myself a competent pilot, I think I would consider myself prepared by individual skill to begin developing squad skills with other players on voice client most likely as text is a poor option.

Which is where I get to the point that most important is it's a team game, You know your match is good when you are intercepting the other team as they are flying in from spawn, and only a team can accomplish this. the opposite also true. I've been in matches where my end performance was atrocious by the numbers, why because the other team out classed what we were able to preform. Yes they were a premade, likely on VC but the same opportunity existed for my faction. I've been in my own premades too and have dominated and/or deadlocked with other premades.

Once I flew for some of my best records match after match it was a great evening and I was often running out of missiles(concussion). Next day I entered a match very confident, typed in chat I would be likely be focusing on the middle control point. We proceeded to get ours presented to us as only a master chef could, Which was fine, humbling even perhaps, a truly coordinated display of team work. That said I looked so bad at match end, really the records of a total novice not that the rest of the squad did any different.

One thing to not let get to you are the pessimists and the bullies. In the above massacre I suffered. There was a player who chose to single me out for my performance, as if I single handedly caused our loss. While it was a small numbers fight so my performance did represent a greater part of the whole. He clearly singled me out for his attempted Wrath as I was the only person to type in operations chat saying where I would likely be focusing. I proceeded to enter a /wisper session in a hopeless attempt to make him understand we lost as a team and his comments were abusive and bully like. I ended with "You have proceeded to directly harass me on my gameplay, Which is fine as you did not harass another player, and I am old enough and wise enough to deal with you. God day to you" /ignore. He had ample opportunity to make his case I didn't cut him off(/ignore) immediately after the match.

I followed that one up later that day by providing positive feedback during a match where we were performing very cleanly and as a team, I was rewarded to see other player compliment each other too. This was during flight phase and not just on the end scoreboard.

I'm an experienced pilot in various space games (started playing Wing Commander what, 23 years ago? Then played the X-Wing/TIE Fighter games a lot) so I was decent out of the gate. I have relatively poor 3D spatial awareness and analysis so I will never be more than a middling skill pilot, but my experience in gaming leads me to be above average.

For example, in the early days of GSF I was capping sats at the start of games consistently...in my Strike Fighter. Obviously I can't do that now, I know of other ways that games work and players behave in order to try to gain advantage. For example, against very responsive premade groups that go in seconds to where there is trouble you have to try to bait them there (a feint) and then attack something else. Unfortunatey, that feinting ends to also attract your teammates and makes it harder to cap your real objective.

Edited by ptwonline