Harrison Ford: 'I'm Done With That Star Wars Crap!'

Selorian

Just drop the big 3, keep their best image of the saga, use another era.

That's what I wish they would do.

Did nobody learn the lesson of that new Indiana flick?

Ah but nostalgia = cashmoney. I bet most hardcore fans that are getting there hopes up are gonna consider the returning actors one of the biggest mistakes of the films in retrospect. Callin it.

I thought it was known that Ford was meh about his role, just llike Carrie...though she is a bit....unstable anyway.

This article makes it seem like Ford really just wished to see more character development for Han Solo. It's a bit late to include that in Ep. VII, though. I feel as though trying to rework the missed opportunities of Return of the Jedi is just going to fall flat. We need to see new characters and new situations, and just learn from the mistakes of earlier films when it comes to characterization.

Just drop the big 3, keep their best image of the saga, use another era.
This. Honestly, I watched the original trilogy again a few weeks ago and I am less excited after watching them than I was before. It's been decades and whole 'skywalker' story has been done to death. Something new would be much better.

Hopefully darker too where the bad guys can actually friggin AIM and kill some good guys in a straight fight. What's the point if your opponent is friggin handicapped? It's almost like watching a bunch of bullies go to work on a defenseless empire that can't even defend itself from cuddly teddy bears.

Edited by Blackholeskipper

This. Honestly, I watched the original trilogy again a few weeks ago and I am less excited after watching them than I was before. It's been decades and whole 'skywalker' story has been done to death. Something new would be much better.

Hopefully darker too where the bad guys can actually friggin AIM and kill some good guys in a straight fight. What's the point if your opponent is friggin handicapped? It's almost like watching a bunch of bullies go to work on a defenseless empire that can't even defend itself from cuddly teddy bears.

I wouldn't mind seeing the original actors around again, but only as background, supporting roles for new protagonists.

And yes, it would be nice to feel intimidated by the bad guys, aside from just Darth Vader.

To be honest, its probably for the best in my opinion. Everythingi read so far sugests that this old actors might have a part in the new triology just for the sake of it. If thats true then it already bodes badly for the script. It shouldnt be dependent on this actors/ characters in the first place. Edited by Spartanik

Well, I remember how JJ used Leonard Nimoy in the new Star Trek and thought it was incredibly well done. He wasn't a part of the action, he was part of the storytelling that showed the audience that the lore was saying goodbye to him and moving on. I suspect that the same is going to happen with the "Big 3". It will also help with the flow of continuity of the grand story Arch since this an Episode VII, which by the very nature of the title, declares itself to be a continuance of the saga related to the events trigger by the Skywalker legacy. This will help maintain a much more natural transition into the third generation of players within the grand saga. Of course, I realize that, too, is just speculation.

I think Harrison Ford has a very respectable opinion on Han Solo and Star Wars.

Essentially, I'm "grateful" for the experience but Han Solo has no "depth" and is "uninteresting" to play as an actor. I would add, "uninteresting" to play as a "good" actor.

This is essentially true of the majority of the characters. Lucas developed archetypes based on mythology and great literature, they work to tell the overall story but are, for the most part, very uni-dimensional.

- Arcada

I don't think the characters are uni-dimensional at all. If anything, any time this stuff comes up in conversations I'e had, character development is one of the strong suits. Yeah they're archetypes, which I honestly find neat anyway, but even without factoring in the EU we see Han's character evolve from an I'm-just-out-for-myself outlaw to a general in the Rebel fleet.

The movies are also bound to include, if the rumours are true, at least one of the Solo children in some capacity, which would give a chance to see Han Solo in a new light, as a father/husband.