Best Story lines

GenosArmagus

IA, far and away. I've leveling trooper, jedi knight and jedi counselor to 50 and the others to a variety of lesser levels. Being an IA is like playing James Bond. You are a cold blooded killer one minute and sweet talking conniver the next. All the powers are trying to use you to their benefit. You trust no one. Even some of your companions want to kill you. Your next move is barely known. Your past moves are never forgotten. You are summoned to meetings with superiors to be killed or congratulated. The story rocks.

Jedi Knight was generic IMHO. It should have been less about Episode 3, 4, and 6 cliche's and more about a unique perspective of a Jedi Knight in these times.

The Jedi Consular, from what I've played of it, mostly Act 1, it starts off feeling proper and like a Jedi but then it too quickly ends up feeling as boring as Episode 2 was with all the boring "galactic issues" arising, yadda yadda.

The Sith Warrior was just corny, I'm sorry to say but it was. Dark Side options weren't even emotionally engaging, it was just a psychotic, depressing, serial killing spree with SOME meaningful Sith perspective in there... This was the first class I tried in the game and was the most disappointed by at the end of Act 2, early Act 3.

The Sith Inquisitor I haven't tried yet and dont really want to because I dont like what I HAVE SEEN of the story from watching class quests in party. It was interesting but too mystical and not enough Sith personality.

The Trooper was satisfying through Acts 1 and 2 but incredibly anti-climactic for me. It just felt like a waste of effort fo find out the end.

The Bounty Hunter I've played up to the start of Act 2 and again, it was the same with the Jedi Knight. The Bounty Hunter story was like a cliche' story moment after another and I felt like either a punk with a pistol on the dark side or a space cop with the light side choices.

The Imperial Agent I haven't really tried so I wont comment on it beyond the notion I get of it being like M.I. 6 James Bond meets Nazi S.S.

The Smuggler was fun up through Act 1 and though I haven't gotten much farther than that, I can't find too much wrong with it beyond being a very predictable storyline, then again being a Smuggler is predictable by nature I suppose.

I'll just sum up my experiences here:

Consular - Save/Kill infected Jedi guys, then battle crises throughout galaxy and find Emperor spy guys.

Inquisitor - Ghostbusters

Warrior - Help the Empire,

get screwed over by master, then go kill him.

Bounty Hunter - Take revenge for Mako by winning Great Hunt,

become mandalorian material and do stuff for them.

Knight - Do heroic stuff for Jedi,

save the galaxy and then kill big bad guy (emperor).

That's all I've played so far.

Jedi Knight was generic IMHO. It should have been less about Episode 3, 4, and 6 cliche's and more about a unique perspective of a Jedi Knight in these times.

The Jedi Consular, from what I've played of it, mostly Act 1, it starts off feeling proper and like a Jedi but then it too quickly ends up feeling as boring as Episode 2 was with all the boring "galactic issues" arising, yadda yadda.

The Sith Warrior was just corny, I'm sorry to say but it was. Dark Side options weren't even emotionally engaging, it was just a psychotic, depressing, serial killing spree with SOME meaningful Sith perspective in there... This was the first class I tried in the game and was the most disappointed by at the end of Act 2, early Act 3.

The Sith Inquisitor I haven't tried yet and dont really want to because I dont like what I HAVE SEEN of the story from watching class quests in party. It was interesting but too mystical and not enough Sith personality.

The Trooper was satisfying through Acts 1 and 2 but incredibly anti-climactic for me. It just felt like a waste of effort fo find out the end.

The Bounty Hunter I've played up to the start of Act 2 and again, it was the same with the Jedi Knight. The Bounty Hunter story was like a cliche' story moment after another and I felt like either a punk with a pistol on the dark side or a space cop with the light side choices.

The Imperial Agent I haven't really tried so I wont comment on it beyond the notion I get of it being like M.I. 6 James Bond meets Nazi S.S.

The Smuggler was fun up through Act 1 and though I haven't gotten much farther than that, I can't find too much wrong with it beyond being a very predictable storyline, then again being a Smuggler is predictable by nature I suppose.

I don't know what Sith Warrior line you played but I loved it because I have a 50 gunslinger, 50 commando, and 50 Maurader, and it seems that the options were very murderous at points but not all of them were some were deceptive, and manipulative. It depended on if you just click spammed the dark side "attack" option or waited and got the dark points later in the conversation. Some of them worked really to my advantage. Also, I liked how the Sith Warrior storyline, and companions tied into other stories.

For example Vette used to run around with Nok Drayen and Risha, or how in the Imperial Agent story line it mentions Darth Baras and his many apprentices, or in the Jedi Knight story line the Wrath becomes a companion and the Sith Warrior one you become the Wrath and they explain his treachery.

It's unfortunate you didn't enjoy the SW story, I enjoyed it very much. If you do ever happen to play through it again, I would suggest not immediately hitting the dark side option whenever it pops up. If you choose some of the neutral or light side options, they often lead in to much more intriguing options, such as "convince them to join your side", "convert the Jedi to the dark side", "imprison and torture them", "choke the person they love, making them desperate to do what you say", "make snarky comment to Darth Baras to make him angrier", "lie to your master so he doesn't know about your plotting against him" etc. and more often than not the neutral or LS options are more tactically sound, better for the Empire and are a lot more like a manipulative Sith. Some of the neutral options even give you opportunity for even more DS points.

If you don't immediately hit the "ROAR KILL NOW" options there are tons of lines that sound very similar to what Darth Vader or Darth Sidious would have said in the movies, etc. Overall, the SW felt the most "Star Wars"-y to me out of all the storylines, and by not killing everyone you can get your own little army of fallen Jedi you converted and a bunch of Sith Lords who obey all your commands.

(I enjoyed the SW story very much as a neutral-ish SW and am planning to do 2 more runthroughs of the SW story after I have finished all 8 class stories just to explore all the branches. I loved it that much. It's also the only story other than IA where your choices actually matter)

Edited by Jenzali

I've got: 50 IA, 50 SI, 50 JK, 50 JC.. and the rest are low enough to not count.

Of those I would rank them thusly:

IA >> SI > JK >>>> JC.

The light sided Agent was hands down the best story by leagues. I felt like my actions mattered and I was on the edge of my seat, so to speak, through the whole thing. The companions are pretty above average. The only one that I didn't really "bond" with was Lokin. Scorpio is a sultrier version of HK47 and that is win.

SI was cool in the "mysteries of the sith" kind of nerdy way. I played pretty grey through this. Full DS doesn't make too much sense to me with the whole slave background and all and truth be told some of the LS dialog is just outrageously funny. Your antagonist in the story was a little weak. I never was really that interested outside of the force stuff you do along the way. The companions were pretty average to below average. Khem is cool. The rest are meh (which saddens me.. I was psyched the moment I heard Oghren's voice and he let me down).

JK... there was nothing inherently wrong with this story. It was the safe heroes journey cliche, but it had to be. This was the fan service to the SW fans of 30 years that wanted to play their own Luke. The companions were all relatively above average/great though. Doc was especially noteworthy--hands down the funniest companion I've encountered so far (rivaled only by Scorpio). Kira's story is interesting too (so much so that had they focused on this aspect through the whole story, I think it would have been better).

JC... I hate this story. I wanted to love this story. In 2008 I decided I was to make a Miraluka Shadow. This was my maiden voyage. I love the mysteries of the force and the Jedi "history". Nothing about this story really scratches that itch effectively. I was further annoyed when Nathan Drake (Uncharted voice actor/JC male) absolutely let me down with this character. The deliveries felt forced and annoying. The companions are, without a doubt, the worst in the game. It's almost like BW said "Let's round up the 5 worst companions and give them to one class and see if anyone notices". Theran is the only slightly redeeming one and he just pales in comparison to every other healer comp I've had.

I'm on chapter 2 of my smuggler playthrough now and so far it's pretty decent. Not far enough to make a final judgment though.

Edited by Marak

Played em except Smuggler. won't rank, as all have pro's and con's. I will however discuss those pro's and con's.

Bounty Hunter - Your team actually feels like a 'team.' Every time there's a new mission everyone gathers up and offers their opinion. The conclusion provided you take the light-side route with the Supreme Chancellor is epic. The Dark side route, not so much. The story slows down a lot in Act 2, in Act 3 picks up again, but due to the nature of levelling [levelling slows WAY down 40-50] it feels slow as well. And like i said, the conclusion is excellent.

Imperial Agent - While I dislike the mechanics of the class, IA has the best overall story. It has many more possibilities than any of the other storylines, more endings, etc. It was awesome. The companions, however, really suck. I mean are just terrible.

Sith Warrior - Great story, both dark and light. Dark side, you are an epic ****** and rack up a ridiculous body count. Light side, you are proof that the way of the Sith doesn't have to be lol teh evilz. [though it will always be directly contrary to the Jedi way.] However, the companions lack the easy camaraderie of the Bounty Hunter. If it wasn't for Quinn and Vette, you'd think you were the only person on your ship. [they refer to each other several times]

On the bright side however, the story recognizes many of your choices, which is a plus, and it has some excellent moments.

However, the SW has a weak ending. One of the weakest, in fact.

Sith Inquisitor Mixed. Act 1 is very interesting. Act 2 doesn't live up. Act 3 brings it back to cool again, but it takes a while to get through due to the mentioned levelling differences. It has the best [most epic] conclusion of any of the endings, however.

Jedi Consular I went Dark Side because I immediately realized it was just like Sith Inquisitor except

A) you aren't related to any ancient Sith Lords,

B) Your master is not a hot collection of pixels.

C) Your first companion is horrible.

D) You can't shock people.

So I went Dark Side figuring it would make it interesting. Well it did. But the story glosses over the things you do, and you do some really nasty things.

Jedi Knight - Went Dark Side. Was very fun, very interesting. Obviously Bioware put a lot of work into it. Conclusion is fairly epic, though i was mad that I couldn't tell off Satele Shan at the end when she went all passive-aggressive on me.

Edited by maxetius

Capped a Sent, Inquisitor, and now working through a Consular. I don't know... thus far my favorite has been the JK. Fairly traditional and much more in the spirit of Star Wars in my opinion.

The SI story... was just too much of a ghost story for me. Got a bit tired of it to be honest.

The Consular story started slow but now near the end is really getting interesting.

I'm looking forward to the IA story though. Seems universally loved by everyone.

Edited by Rafaman

Agree with the IA story being quite engaging. Was not a huge fan of the Belsavis part though. My darkside IA was best paired with Kaliyo, though I found more success (read: survivability) with Lokin.

I liked the feeling that I was trying to manipulate the outcome to my advantage while knowing that everyone else was trying to, and in some cases succeeding in

, manipulating the character.  Revenge was sweet.

You want to know the best stories, so I skip explaining why I didn't like the others so much. Character which finishhed chapter 3.

Played on IMP side: Bounty Hunter, Agent, Sith Warrior: Agent is best

Played on REP side: Smuggler, Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular: Jedi Consular

• 1 month later...
"choke the person they love, making them desperate to do what you say"

I literally just did that. Also, from what I've read about the SW story (Plan Zero) and experienced so far, I have to say if this is an example of a bad story, I don't know if I could handle a good one.

I got a commando 50, gunslinger 32, marruader 40, bounty hunter 32 etc I played most class's till end of act 1 except inquisitor and consular I got to say republic the smuggler is the best and the bounty hunter or agent is best imperial.

Posting an update now that I'm farther through the Consular story.

It seems as if the planet storylines were written with the Consular in mind from the very start. Playing this story (even after doing the factions on both sides 2 or 3 times) makes it feel like filling in all the missing pieces of a puzzle. While the JK is derping around chasing superweapons and Sith Lords, the SW is choking everyone to death just to make a girl upset, and the Trooper is being Garza's errand boy, the Consular

Carefully orchestrates the peace summit between all the noble houses of Alderaan, houses the entire Rift Alliance on his ship, oversees the Balmorran resistance, and even takes out friggin Darth Lachris herself! And much more amazing stuff later on.

My suggestion is this: If the Consular is your 1st or 2nd character, put him off until you've experienced some of the other storylines entirely. That way you can appreciate just how deeply the Consular's storyline intertwines with the overall story.

The Consular story does suffer from a repetitive Act I and being a slightly weaker story in its own right, but it has the biggest "oh, so that's what was REALLY happening while I was here" factor.

Played almost everyone up to chapter 3+(and watched the rest :p ) I'd rank them as follows:

Republic: Smuggler >> JK >>>>> trooper >>>> JC

Empire: SW >> BH = IA >>>>>>> SI (too many "ghosts" for me)

Overall: Smuggler >> SW >> JK > BH = IA >> SI >>>> trooper >>>> JC

Many people love IA due to large number of endings, but the companions are awful as said before and the writing has many weak points imo. I loved the IA story at first (was my first char), but after I actually played the other storylines, my opinion changed.

All of the highly ranked stories have interesting twists, smuggler has the best lines in the game hands down.

Also, going SW is much more interesting as gray/light.

Edited by Shadow__

I have played 7 of the 8 Stories, a couple of them more than once...

Imperial Agent is by far the best story in the game. You could play it 3 times over and come out with different playthroughs and endings. It has tons of action, twists, and drama, and even a few laughs to lighten up the mood. On top of this, all of the companions have a very distinct personality that you very much get attached to as each gets involved in some way and doesn't just feel like they were "tacked' on. You have an insane amount of NPCs in the story that allow for different outcomes in how you develop your adventure.

A very close second (and I mean VERY close) is the Sith Warrior story. It has by far the greatest antagonist of any story in the game. Your choices very much feel like they matter, though on a slightly lesser scale than the Agent's story. A Light Side play through feels very epic in the sense that you constantly push against all the ideals of the Sith way, while a Dark play through just makes you feel like an utter God of War. A couple companions feel like they are just ...there, but several actually are involved heavily in the story, including one that is completely different depending on whether you play Dark or Light Side.

Smuggler is my choice for the third best story, and it's based solely on just the very entertaining dialogue through out the game. No other class story plays out in such a witty way that you get a smile out of almost every cutscene. While only Act 1 of the Smuggler story actually felt like it was important and the second two acts more tacked on for content, the writing of the story itself drives the enjoyment factor through the roof as you constantly want your Smuggler to say quite possibly the coolest lines the game has to offer. Some of the companions I couldn't care less about, but there was enough influence on the key Companions that made me at least feel attached to them. Sadly, the best antagonist of the Smuggler story is removed early, and you really don't care as much about the secondary ones.

Some may disagree with me here, but my pick for 4th best story is the Trooper. Act 1 is incredible in my opinion. The whole betrayal plotline, while cliche, makes you really want justice and draws you into the plot quickly. The companions themselves have a very low involvement in the story save for a few parts, but their personalities were extremely likable. It might be because I am former military, but while most of my guildies that played the Trooper story disliked it as a whole, I actually enjoyed it. If you are more chaotic or evil, you probably won't enjoy the Trooper the way it was designed to be played. This is a story definitely designed for a Light Side play through and not as a Dark Side thug.

The Bounty Hunter is in many ways equal to the Trooper to me. I played Light Side, which felt like a Space Opera of the Kind Hearted Hunter with morales just looking to make some cash, but generally just breaking even. The Dark Side looks to be more about playing the Thug role who would sell his momma for a dime. One thing I did like about this story is that it feels the most NEUTRAL to alignment of Empire v. Republic. You literally are aligned with the Empire solely for story purposes only, and not because you like the Empire, which is great. It definitely feels like at some point they could set up a cross faction switch and allow players to change allegiances just solely on how the Hunter plays out. My biggest beef with the story, and the reason it's lower than the 4 above it, is that the story is literally, "Go to this planet, collect this Bounty" for practically the WHOLE THING. The companions kind of feel out of place to me. I don't think of a Hunter having a crew, and so these people that tag along with you just don't feel like they belong. Most people can't even name a companion for the Hunter other than Mako or Blizz as it is.

#6 & #7

I couldn't choose which of these felt better, so they tie for worst in my opinion. The Consular Story was weak... like, really weak. I couldn't get into it at all, as it doesn't engage you at all through out the prologue. I was practically bored to death all through out Tython, which probably led to me never getting into the story at any point. The companions were extremely disinteresting as well, with the possible exception of Tharan and Holiday, which were the only entertaining parts of the Consular story. I was EXTREMELY disappointed that I played a Twi'lek Female Sage and I could not have a relationship with the male Twi'lek, and instead I'm supposed to like this random soldier from Hoth. The Consular story literally holds your hand and has almost zero twists in it, and the few that it has, you already feel as if you saw them coming.

The Inquisitor suffers almost similarly, and you feel almost betrayed by the prologue. I played a Light Side Inquisitor, so this probably didn't help in any way, but I have been told that you REALLY need to play Dark Side Inquisitor to enjoy it, and I will vouch that Light Side just made no sense at all, so Dark Side probably couldn't make it worse. The prologue leads you to believe you have these certain character traits to overcome, but soon abandons the whole notion once you are off Korriban. There are a few twists in the story which help it some, but these redeeming points are few and far between. On top of all this, I feel as if EVERY companion save for Khem Val has absolutely no reason to be a part of your crew, and some that are on your crew make no sense at all from any motivational standpoint, like Ashara. Worst of all, and again this is probably because I played Light Side thus did it wrong, the ending was god awful from how I wanted my playthrough to conclude.

I am playing the Knight Story now... and I am halfway through Act 1, but at the moment, I can't see it being better than the #1 and #2 on my list, but it's definitely not as bad as the #6 and #7 on my list either.

• 2 months later...

Right, I'll throw in my perspective as well.

Trooper

Story: Not that bad actually. You promoted the more you progress through it which is nice, because basically it is the only sort of appreciation you get for doing your "good deeds" to the galaxy. You actually get the feeling that you are a special forces squad leader set out to crush the Empire.

Companions: JUST awful, I mean.. they are the worst you can imagine. A cat, a bug and a lizard. However! Elora has some great voiceacting and the fact ((SPOILER)) that she is a former Imperial actually makes it interesting to shove gifts down her throat to learn more about her while the rest of the zoo is arguing aboard your ship.

Ending: GOOD! You get recognition for all the work you have done by the entire republic! In the end, you stand out as a hero.

Flaws: Apart from the pointless arguing and emotional disturbances between your companions there is but 1 major thing I noticed. IF you chose to be a good soldier, follow orders and do what is best for the republic you end up DARK SIDE. That's right. If, however, you let your emotions interfere, put NPC's before the mission and disobey direct orders you end up as lightside. ......... I don't get it, but thats how it is.

Bounty Hunter

Story: 1 word! BORING. As appealing to some as it may seem "The Great Hunt" is WAY overrated and not so great in the end and more or less you end up giving the same response to every. It's so lame that it made me laugh. "You're never gonna kill me". 2 hours later "I just did". You basically go assassinating everyone in your way and in the end, all you get is Mandalore saying "Nice".

Companions: None of them found my interest. Not a single one was able to contribute with something which could catch my interest.

Ending: I'm not even sure if I should write ((spoiler)) here, because it is very predictable. You end up killing everyone who got in your way. Then you drive off into the sunset looking for more to get in your way so you can eventually kill them.

Flaws: None that I can mention, actually. Then again, this isn't a deep plot nor a very interesting story.

Imperial Agent

Story: I can see why most James Bond fanatics would love this, and the storyline is very intriguing. This was the first plot where I found myself continuously playing and at one part rushing class quests only because I wanted to see what happens. As much as I hate to say this, it was actually good. Most importantly, the choices you make actually MATTER! Ho ho, a little of ME2 here!

Companions: You get an anarchist, a werewolf doctor, a bug, a force sensative...... and the evil computer from Portal in a robotic form with fat thighs. Put them all together in a room and you actually have something kind of interesting. It may sound as the start of a bad joke, but digging into these companions does have some minor thrills. One thing that pissed me off in particular, was that you weren't able to send the force sentative with a annoying voice away. By far the least interesting of all the companions. There should be a option such as: "Oh you are force sensative, are you? And in the Imperial Military? Not a chance, I am deporting your *** back to Koribaan where you belong".

Ending: Bioware is known for making disappointing endings, and for those that chose to play Dark Side, this one will be no different. The lightside will however give you everything you worked so hard for. Some may argue that indirectly the dark side does give you all of this as well, but my argument here is "MORE SHOULD HAVE BEEN SHOWN THEN". A bunch of disappointed NPC's on a cruiser isn't what I expected. I truely belived that Jadus would make an appearance or at least give a comment.

Flaws: You are constantly on the search for questions on who is double-crossing who, what are the cells up to, who you can trust etc, but so few of these become answered :/ You are left with a lot of unanswered questions which the ending wont provide for you.

Jedi Knight

Story: Somewhat decent if you can handle dealing with teenage NPC's all around you. It does have a few good moments, but it also has many where you think "Why can't I make another decision here???"

Companions: A bunch of emotionally disturbed teenagers and a stupid wannabe R2D2 and you get no options to execute them.

Ending: Satisfying. After all, you do a lot of things but I have to say one thing. You want the DARKSIDE ending to avoid a cliche, it will also make the storyline SO.... MUCH....MORE intriguing, fun and interesting!

Flaws: Satele shan. This stupid NPC will get on your nerves every time and prove how hypocritical and degenerate most Jedi decisions are. Not only that, you are not even able to tell her to S T F U and G T FO for being the bítch that she is.

• 1 month later...

Only finished SI and BH right now, but a good chunk into SW and JK. So far SI has been the most entertaining- and I like her voice acting the most, that sarcastic tone she always has is perfect.

I've only done a chapter of the IA so far- but it's also looking pretty nice so that may be second.

I liked the Agent story best. There's a couple loose ends, but, overall it's satisfying. And, through and through, interesting.

other ones I've seen to the end (sith inquisitor, Trooper and Sith warrior) all have strengths and weaknesses.

Only one that seems to be outright bad is the consular. It's so bad that I couldn't continue with it and re-rolled a trooper.