Imperial Agent Story: Awesome!

DarthTHC

The only thing I hate about Agent storyline...

...is the influence/power of Star Cabal. Some third faction controlling both Republic/Jedi and EmpireSith on the level they presented it is imo just over-exaggerated, ridiculous and stupid. It was a cheap element to achieve a wow from the player which unfortunately left a stain on otherwise great story writing.

I don't really get how it's that stupid. I can totally see two parties so involved in the idea that the other must die that they completely ignore that others might be like, "Wow, you both suck".

I've played all eight stories, and Agent was definitely the best.

Agent is by far the best story this game has to offer.

The ending upset me, though.

Why couldn't you join the Star Cabal at the end? It would've made so much sodding sense.

The Empire betrayed you, the Republic can't be trusted in their corruption, either. And both Jedi and Sith are madmen fighting petty wars over religion.

The Star Cabal were right in working towards their demise.

In my case...

I kind of agree. My Agent started out a loyalist, became frustrated with the decadence of the Sith, looked at the Republic and found they were just as useless and corrupt. Had a pretty big hate-on for Hunter specifically, but agreed with the Cabal's ideals. It would've been interesting to side with them in the end, especially since they're almost effectively destroyed...you could be working to rebuild the conspiracy, as it were.

Granted, becoming Imperial Batman was still pretty cool, so I'm not gonna complain too much.

I'm frustrated by

the lack of the ability to join the Star Cabal, too.

OTOH, I can't help but think this was something brewing for part 4. Hunter is dead set against it...but if you ask the Prince to join, the response is...different.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've played all class storylines excluding Trooper, which I'm doing just now. I recognize that peoples favourite storylines will be influenced by there own personal preferences, but I personally strongly agree with this.

The one thing that I really felt about the Agent storyline, is that it created a great sense of conflict within me. This is contrast to all the other storylines I've played. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike any of the other storylines, in fact I like all of them. But its just that there all cut and dry. I knew exactly where I stood with all the other classes, and it was very clear what decisions I wanted to make. With the Agent however, it was all shades of grey, and there was an overwhelming sense of conflict in myself, as a fan, in wanting to remain loyal to the Empire, as opposed to stopping and saying "go **** yourself".

It was the first character I played, and I found myself unable to stop playing. I appreciate all the class storylines in part because of how loyal I am to Star Wars as a brand, but truthfully Agent was the only class where I really wanted to find out what happened next. It was unpredictable and never followed a status quo.

Anyway, this was my interpretation of the storyline, and bringing it down to brass tax, I can tell anyone who hasn't experienced it, that your missing out, it really is an amazing storyline.

I've played all class storylines excluding Trooper, which I'm doing just now. I recognize that peoples favourite storylines will be influenced by there own personal preferences, but I personally strongly agree with this.

The one thing that I really felt about the Agent storyline, is that it created a great sense of conflict within me. This is contrast to all the other storylines I've played. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike any of the other storylines, in fact I like all of them. But its just that there all cut and dry. I knew exactly where I stood with all the other classes, and it was very clear what decisions I wanted to make. With the Agent however, it was all shades of grey, and there was an overwhelming sense of conflict in myself, as a fan, in wanting to remain loyal to the Empire, as opposed to stopping and saying "go **** yourself".

It was the first character I played, and I found myself unable to stop playing. I appreciate all the class storylines in part because of how loyal I am to Star Wars as a brand, but truthfully Agent was the only class where I really wanted to find out what happened next. It was unpredictable and never followed a status quo.

Anyway, this was my interpretation of the storyline, and bringing it down to brass tax, I can tell anyone who hasn't experienced it, that your missing out, it really is an amazing storyline.

My experience too. :) Here is an article about developing meaningful character arcs that the writer of the IA story wrote for Gamasutra. I think his writing ethics really shine through it. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/188950/developing_meaningful_player_.php

Agreed, I have done the agent story 3 times now, first was light side, second was dark side then the third time I turn off the function that shows you the alignment gains and chose what I felt was the "right" choice and everytime I have been amazed at how the story has progressed. Its definitely a story where all your choices reflet the rest of the story (especially loved chapter 2 where it feels more personal). Cannot wait to see whats in store for future story content.

I finished agent storline just yesterday. It was my first character. I was thinking about Sith and BH, but agent won it probably because it's something different than what we know from the films and kotor. The reason why the story is good for me is because it made me care about what's going on as I really hated what happened in chapter two as well as I hated my enemy in chapter 3 and I wanted to kill them.

Although I didn't have any inner conflict during the story or "are we the bad guys?" problem, because I'm a bad guy myself and really felt like wiping out Empire's enemies + I always wanted too look good in the eyes of the Sith (as you command, My Lord) and I think it really payed off at the end of the day...

Only moment when I had a dilema was at the end of chapter 1, when my hunger for power won over other things, but I still think that decision could win us the war ;-)

Edited by zzoorrzz

I found the IA storyline awesome, there are really only a few minor issues I had with it.

1. I would like to have seen the 'fear' of Imperial Intelligence employed a bit. Kaliyo mentions you being the 'secret police' and Keeper tell you to use the fear of your position to your advantage...but you never actually see it. I'm not saying it should have been overly prominent, but the occasional option when dealing with an irritating Imperial to say something along the lines of, "You know I can make you disappear so thoroughly your own family will deny you ever existed." would have been nice.

2. Would have liked for Chapter 1 to be tied into the rest of the story a bit. As it is it's pretty much completely disconnected. A few hints that someone other than

Jadus

was manipulating events, even a mention in later chapters

Aside from Hunter name-dropping The Old Man

would have been cool

I actually did not like at all Hunter's turning out to be a female. Personally I think that whole weird dynamic between the two of you throughout Chapter 3 could be explained perfectly well by the fact that in spite of being on opposite sides, the Agent might be the only other person in the galaxy who understands what it's like to have no face, no identity, just operating in a shadow world manipulating events for what you think is the best and knowing that nobody will ever know. I felt the whole, "Lol I'm a girl and you're so awesome I had a crush on you." was kind of a cheap twist.

Edited by jovianus

Regarding the spoiler in the end of Chapter 3 --

I was slightly irked by "Hunter is a girl" thing too, but after some thinking (and did IA storyline cause plenty of thinking) I concluded it was a necessary mean to show how terribly messed up Hunter was. If it wasn't for that reveal, Hunter would've been established as a quadruple agent, fixed final antagonist you knew since chapter 2, and that's all. And the reveal is not that he's a woman, but that he is a horribly maimed construct without any identity whatsoever. And so he serves as a cautionary tale for our Agent, who is about to become just the same thing in one of the endings.

As for another thing bugging some people --

Star Cabal consists mostly of corporations and criminal syndicates -- essentially, the same thing. Thus, I found their meddling, power grab and resources totally believable. If real life corporations are able to stick their grubby paws into everyone's business , think what fantasy space corporations are capable of. :cool:

Having started my Agent, now that I actually found I enjoyed the Sniper playstyle (took me trudging through Smuggler, which I LOVE it's storyline, and she started out in a leveling duo, so that made it a bit easier...class needs levels to really start to enjoy the playstyle imo), I do have one complaint...

YOU'RE A FRIGGEN SPY! A SPY! And what does every npc who looks at you say? What do you say? Admittedly, I'm not far (double xp so working on my smuggler for class buff...last buff I need), but there I am in the Black Talon Flash Point, having my job broadcasted out to everyone. :p My own character will even go about saying exactly what she is!

And why do people keep wanting to run around in Imperial Officer outfits...as a spy? It doesn't make sense. You're basically advertising.

Rest of the story has been fun so far, and I have seen other parts of it, due to friends with higher level Agents, but, really...SPY! We don't go advertising it. :p

Perhaps people would take the look more seriously if like you said, every NPC you run into or the character itself wasn't always saying they are an Agent. I don't find the look all that big of a deal. Might as well like what you're playing or how they look when playing them. ;) TBH, its not like those NPC's who don't know you are an agent can tell, they simply do whatever was written anyway. :D You could be naked and the response is the same. Though, I would laugh hysterically if you could do that.

As for outfits, I had an Imperial Uniform to wear but I usually wore a trenchcoat. If you wanted to be RP-ish, you wear the uniform when you're in Drommund Kaas or at any point when you're at an Imperial Base talking to your superiors. ;) Probably not many people care to do stuff like that, but I had a lot of fun with Fraps and different outfits.

Regarding the spoiler in the end of Chapter 3 --

I was slightly irked by "Hunter is a girl" thing too, but after some thinking (and did IA storyline cause plenty of thinking) I concluded it was a necessary mean to show how terribly messed up Hunter was. If it wasn't for that reveal, Hunter would've been established as a quadruple agent, fixed final antagonist you knew since chapter 2, and that's all. And the reveal is not that he's a woman, but that he is a horribly maimed construct without any identity whatsoever. And so he serves as a cautionary tale for our Agent, who is about to become just the same thing in one of the endings.

That was pretty much my feeling, after a great deal of thought.

Hunter's gender really doesn't matter. It's not so much that he's a she - or she'a he - so much as it is that Hunter is so utterly disoriented that even she isn't entirely clear on what she is any more.

One conversation option with the female agent is something like, "Well, you don't need to pretend any more" just to be answered with "But I still look at you with HIS eyes."

Hunter doesn't even HAVE a gender identity any more in the story. That's how lost the character is. She's pretended to be so many things for so long that even the most basic bits of her identity become lost...

I agree, the IA storyline is hands down the best.

Which makes it all the more sad that its writer is no longer with Bioware... =/

Or at least that's what I think I've seen mentioned on these forums several times.

I found the IA's ending to be the most touching so far, when Hunter turned out to be a girl it was one of those realizations that you have at the end of a movie like Fight Club - you find yourself looking back to some of the scenes and suddenly something just -clicks- and it all makes sense.

Her dying in the Agent's arms was one of the highlights of my SW:TOR experience - and very true to the spy genre, especially while thinking "Damnit, girl - it didn't have to be like this!".

Edited by Callaron

One conversation option with the female agent is something like, "Well, you don't need to pretend any more" just to be answered with "But I still look at you with HIS eyes."

Interesting line there....I think it says something extra about Hunter's character that you don't get from the male perspective.

I think the writer mentioned something similar about Hunter being a cautionary figure of the very worst possible outcome that the agent could end up with.

I agree, the IA storyline is hands down the best.

Which makes it all the more sad that its writer is no longer with Bioware... =/

Or at least that's what I think I've seen mentioned on these forums several times.

Yes, but it will should make you glad to know that he announced that Bioware recently approached him to write a new small in-game piece for the game, so you can retain hope that he'll keep giving his input to the game as a contracted writer. ;)

Edited by chuixupu

As for outfits, I had an Imperial Uniform to wear but I usually wore a trenchcoat. If you wanted to be RP-ish, you wear the uniform when you're in Drommund Kaas or at any point when you're at an Imperial Base talking to your superiors. ;) Probably not many people care to do stuff like that, but I had a lot of fun with Fraps and different outfits.

True!

Yes, but it will should make you glad to know that he announced that Bioware recently approached him to write a new small in-game piece for the game, so you can retain hope that he'll keep giving his input to the game as a contracted writer. ;)

It does! Thanks for the info! :D

• 2 weeks later...
This post is for the BioWare writers and the community in general.

To the writers: Well done! Not only was the Agent story highly appropriate to the "feel" of what I thought the Agent should get, but it also was a great, compelling story in its own right. Of the stories that I played through to completion so far (Consular, Knight, Inquisitor, Warrior, Agent), it was far and away the best. It exceeded the expectations I had when I bought this BioWare game.

To the community: If you enjoy stories that put you dead nuts center of high intrigue, you really do need to play an Agent!

Seconded. Just level-capped my Sniper/Marksman before the expansion (haven't played him on Makeb yet):

The IA's story is by far and away the best of the lot. Especially if you're like me and enjoy techno-conspiracy thrillers leavened with British humour (of the totally-deadpan-delivered cutting sarcasm type. The SI's convos do this well, too, BTW.)

That was fun - I was levelling with a friend, so I usually had enough social points to wear appropriate gear. Prisoner clothes while on Belsavis, an Imperial uniform while on Corellia, a Resistance outfit while on Balmorra, etc. I'm a spy, yarrr.

I liked the IA story for the most part, though there were just too many MMO moments that made it weird. For instance, as a healer OP, there were MANY fights that I had to stealth out of and "restart" with stealth CC/openers. So its like, everyone goes for their blasters/light sabers in the cut scene, battle ensues and then if I don't have the upper hand, I "poof", everyone just sorta stands there while I recover stealth-like and THEN the battle begins with an opener. Same with sniper. Talk, talk , talk... everyone goes for their handy dandy pistol (even if you don't have one equipped) and your char "covers" behind a little energy partition and sets up for a snipe... 5 feet from the baddies.

It might seem nit-picky, but as a BH, this type of story setup works great. We're talking in front of one another, baddie goes for his blaster... time to burn a path through these guys. As an agent, it might be better if the cut scene either puts us in a realistically defensible position for a sniper or stealther and THEN the battle starts naturally from there. I did appreciate a few times in the story where that was possible, and I know there'd be less interaction between folks, but... isn't that the point? A famous spy/sniper is one that no one knows about.... right?

That's really the only thing I'd change about the story. Make us the shadow no one sees till they're too late. Why do I have to walk up to bad guys and talk right in front of them? Why do I have to talk to them at all? I know the non-class stories are kinda stuck with the same approach for everyone, but class oriented quests shouldn't just capture the theme, it should be set up to capture what the class would do in the situation, right?

Edited by darknessnova