Star wars Stand-alone movie out 2016!

Varium

http://starwars.com/news/gareth-edwards-and-gary-whitta-onboard-for-star-wars-stand-alone-film.html

In addition to the episodes of a new Star Wars trilogy, Lucasfilm and Disney have begun development on multiple stand-alone movies that will offer new stories beyond the core Saga. Gareth Edwards will direct the first stand-alone film, with a screenplay by Gary Whitta. The film is due out December 16, 2016.

Gareth Edwards blazed into the filmmaking forefront with his acclaimed work on Monsters, a film he wrote, directed and served on as cinematographer and visual effects artist. The skill and vision readily apparent in Monsters earned him the high-profile spot directing this year's smash hit Godzilla.

"Ever since I saw Star Wars I knew exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life - join the Rebel Alliance! I could not be more excited & honored to go on this mission with Lucasfilm, said Edwards.

Gary Whittas screenwriting credits include 2010s The Book of Eli starring Denzel Washington. He is also well known as a journalist and editor in the video game industry, as well as part of the BAFTA award-winning team on Telltale Games adaptation of The Walking Dead.

Whitta states, "From the moment I first saw the original movie as a wide-eyed kid, Star Wars has been the single most profound inspiration to my imagination and to my career as a writer. It is deeply special to me,so to be given the opportunity to contribute to its ongoing legacy, especially in collaboration with a film-maker as talented as Gareth,is literally a dream come true. I'm still pinching myself."

Yea the stand-alone movie talks have been out for a while, I think the plan was they are going to do the trilogy in 2015, 2017, and 2019 then two stand-alones in 2016 and 2018. Then repeat the cycle after 10ish+ years.

Stand-alone movie would be a good opportunity to do some Old Republic Era!

I highly doubt that. They don't want to make it unnecessarily confusing for the casual viewers. Going back in the timeline would cause a mess in their heads. ;)

Can't say this excites me, I was already apprehensive about Star Wars spin-offs which is a blatant cash-in, the fact that its being directed by what seems to be some pretty mediocre guys doesn't exactly make my hopes an higher.

Oh well, I just hope its not bad.

Edited by Beniboybling

Can't say this excites me, I was already apprehensive about Star Wars spin-offs which is a blatant cash-in, the fact that its being directed by what seems to be some pretty mediocre guys doesn't exactly make my hopes an higher.

Ugggh. Director of Godzilla and writer of After Earth? Not excited either. That's a horrible pairing.

Maybe two negatives make a positive?

Ugggh. Director of Godzilla and writer of After Earth? Not excited either. That's a horrible pairing.

Maybe two negatives make a positive?

Yeah exactly, admittedly Godzilla was a pretty good film, for a monster movie... with a terrible track record, but I didn't even see After Earth because the reviews were so terrible.

And that sucks, because these new films don't need to be just great, they need to be amazing!

Edited by Beniboybling

Yea the stand-alone movie talks have been out for a while, I think the plan was they are going to do the trilogy in 2015, 2017, and 2019 then two stand-alones in 2016 and 2018. Then repeat the cycle after 10ish+ years.

just reading this post made me really exited for the first time about disney taking over, the fact that we might get a film about the old republic would make everything ok in the galaxy again.

Oh well, I just hope its not bad.

My thoughts as well.

Just thought I'd point out that the writer for this movie has many rants posted online about how much he despises the special editions and the prequels oh and he was once quoted as saying 'The EU is bad fan fiction that got published by some god awful miracle'.

Yeh what a GREAT choice LucasFilm.

Just thought I'd point out that the writer for this movie has many rants posted online about how much he despises the special editions and the prequels oh and he was once quoted as saying 'The EU is bad fan fiction that got published by some god awful miracle'.

<---- sick of the clone wars.
He is dead to me.

Honestly though the irony will be when he gets bashed for writing a crappy spin off movie, best of luck Gary.

Edited by Beniboybling

just reading this post made me really exited for the first time about disney taking over, the fact that we might get a film about the old republic would make everything ok in the galaxy again.

LOL......and then Disney spends $130mil to make the EPIC stand alone movie "Star Wars-Gungans -vs- Ewoks" starring The newest Jedi....Jar Jar!

Thank god

LOL......and then Disney spends $130mil to make the EPIC stand alone movie "Star Wars-Gungans -vs- Ewoks" starring The newest Jedi....Jar Jar!

Immortal words of ImmortaLowlife....in the forums.

Kinda lean to Disney on this one.

Edited by ZahirS

Most of the EU is, I have to admit "bad fan fiction". Read some of the old Star Wars novels that weren't written by Michael Stackpole and try not to cringe. Read some of the new ones, heck, there's a little bit of good and a whole lot of bad in there.

I'm excited for some Avenger's-style movie franchise management from Disney. New Star Wars film every summer for five years? I'll take it!

I'd pay good money to watch Gungans and Ewoks kill each other for two hours. You can't go wrong with that plotline.

As far as I'm concerned, this movie is going to be a "bad fanfiction that got produced by some god awful miracle directed by some really bad director who doesn't give a damn about fans." The EU is cannon and always will be, I don't care what Emperor Mickey says.

Edited by DeltaBos

I'd pay good money to watch Gungans and Ewoks kill each other for two hours. You can't go wrong with that plotline.

Really?

How about an Hour of you and me in 1 v1 with real weapons till death, I prefer this to what you propose.

Really?

How about an Hour of you and me in 1 v1 with real weapons till death, I prefer this to what you propose.

An hour??? Are you an endurance runner?

My legal counsel told me not to smack talk on the internet, so I don't get to have any more fun with this conversation.

EDIT: Since my original comment upset you enough to ask for a deathmatch, I would like to apologize for it.

Obviously, I was only joking. I would never condone the slaughter of innocent Ewoks purely for the sake of entertainment. That's just sick.

Edited by Ventessel

• 1 month later...