Sorcerer/Sage: Making the lightsaber a "stat stick" is an affront to Star Wars

Felioats

There have been discussions on the merits of saber utility for what is essentially a ranged caster class. And if these classes carried wooden sticks instead of lightsabers, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

There'd probably be a discussion on why they have wooden sticks instead of lightsabers, but I digress.

The fact is they do have lightsabers, as they should, but they don't use them. The ancient weapon of the Jedi hangs limply at their sides.

And it's wrong. It is not Star Wars, it is not heroic and it is an insult to the legacy of the films. It feels fundamentally wrong. It is Bioware's moral duty to change it.

:csw_redsaber::csw_bluesaber:

Edited by Felioats

How many times, in the only three films, did the Emperor use a Lightsaber?

Zero.

He didn't need to. He had Force Lightning.

There are six films. At least five -- Phantom Menace may not count.

I remember him roflpwning four Jedi with a lightsaber, actually, and nearly finishing off a fifth. He may have even only pretended to need the help to push Anakin over the edge.

And even in the Emperor's Throne Room scene in ROTJ, he wasn't there to fight. Only to observe and use words to turn Luke to the dark side.

Check and Mate, op.

Hardly.

Edited by Felioats

To quote Palpatine himself -

"The Sith grew past the use of lightsabers. But we continue to use them, if only to humiliate the Jedi."

The idea of the Sith learning lightsaber combat simply to troll the Jedi does make sense, I guess...

Edited by smartalectwo

To quote Palpatine himself -

"The Sith grew past the use of lightsabers. But we continue to use them, if only to humiliate the Jedi."

The idea of the Sith learning lightsaber combat simply to troll the Jedi does make sense, I guess...

In a book.

He used it when he fought Yoda in the 3rd (New/bad) one.

He did use it and got owned. So he switched to throwing senate seats :p

Uh-huh. And what class would you say Yoda is? That's right, Sage. He also pwns Count Dooku with a lightsaber.

Well, purely from an IC/realistic (gasp!) standpoint, for my sage and sorceress, it would go something like this...

"Hm. You're over there. I'm over here. Sure, I could walk over there, draw my lightsaber, and hack you down. But you know what? This is easier." *force lightning/hurled boulder to the face*

I look at it as the sage/sorcerer having mastered the force to the level that they don't even NEED their lightsabers anymore. They're basically just a badge of office. "I'm a jedi/sith, see? I have a lightsaber. Now watch me lift a sandcrawler and crush you with it."

That said, I do still use my saber to hack down weak targets that end up near me, if I don't feel like crushing them with a rock/lightning bolt.

Edited by LyriaFrost

Check and Mate, op.

Same with Obi-Wan... if youre not counting the holywooded newer films. The only time I remember him using it to fight in the original movies was to get owned by Vader, and I dont think Yoda even had one.

Besides, what do you need a lightsaber for when youve got FREAKING LIGHTNING or you can throw a wall at someone?

Edited by Achromatis

I didn't really mind it until the fight against the sith apprentice on Coruscant. It just felt...wrong having Qyzen be the one engaged with the sith while I stood back chucking rocks. It didn't feel like a proper Jedi vs. Sith kind of fight.

I use mine all the time. I block blaster shots all the time, block melee attacks, ect.

Also, both the consular and inquis start out, on their starting planets, being told they are one of the most powerful they've felt in quite some time.

If we're so powerful in the force, we have no need to use the lightsaber in an offensive way.

In a book.

more of the lore in this game is based around the books than the movies

there is more established star wars lore that everyone looks to in the books than all 6 movies combined ever created

accept this and move on

I remember him roflpwning four Jedi with a lightsaber, actually, and nearly finishing off a fifth. He may have even only pretended to need the help to push Anakin over the edge.

And even in the Emperor's Throne Room scene in ROTJ, he wasn't there to fight. Only to observe and use words to turn Luke to the dark side.

Hardly.

Hahahaha.

Nobody counts the "new trilogy", silly.

you cannot compare NPC to players

1-Darth Malgus is clearly a Sith Warrior but can use force lightning

2-Random weak republic soldier with a massive 2 handed tech sword is jumping 3 times (leap) between me and my pet. Why cant I ?

3-Satele Shan use attack from sage while having a double lightsabers reserved to assassin.

so if we go like that, palpatine have the right to use a saber while chucking lightning and be good at both

As players, we are forced to pick. You chose a class called Sorcerer (or sage).

def Sorcerer : One who practices sorcery; a wizard

def Sorcery : the art, practices, or spells of a person who is supposed to exercise supernatural powers through the aid of evil spirits; black magic; witchery.

You took the class that was showcased using the force as his weapon, not the lightsaber. You can still use the basic combo attack of it but you are not trained for it.

You cant ask to be good with your lightsaber and be good with the force. Even if you say, "i want technique that will be done with my saber but will be from my force lightning". I will only say i want some too with my juggernaut. If you can wield a saber correctly and use force correctly, i wanna do it too since i can complain i use the saber well but not the force.

In a book.

Uh-huh. And what class would you say Yoda is? That's right, Sage. He also pwns Count Dooku with a lightsaber.

Yoda a sage? HA! Not a chance!

Yoda only ever throws around force push and most of his fighting is done with a highly acrobatic force-assisted lightsaber form. He would definarely be a sentinel if he was anything in this game.

And as for the OP, you think a lightsaber is more heroic than literally being able to call upon an element as destructive as lightning and hurl it out of your fingertips at someone across the room? A sorceror can tap into the most powerful of all powers, the deepest of the dark forces. He does not NEED a lightsaber. His power is beyond a simple sword made of light.

If you wanted a heroic lightsaber fighter you have the warrior class to roll with.

If Star Wars was just about lightsabers you wouldnt have any other class. Thankfully, its not.

I kinda agree with the OP and everyone else on this.

When I had first started looking at the game before I bought it, and all the classes and whatnot, I said to myself "I want to be a Sith/Jedi. I want to USE a (single one-handed) lightsaber. But I also want to be well-versed in the Force. Hopefully they'll give me a class that gives me the best of both worlds." Basically I wanted to be able to ROFLstomp enemies with hard-crushing melee abilities, but have the freedom and ability to just blast that one dude behind that rock with a boulder or lightning from my fingertips. Not just one or the other. I had initially looked at the Sorcerer, but when my RL friend levelled hers to 24 and I asked her "Can you ROFLstomp with your lightsaber?" she sadly responded "LOLno, I roflstomp with lightning kthanx." I was sadfaced, to say the least. I agree with the OP in the sense that...it's a LIGHTSABER. I want to USE it rather than just hold on to it, spin it around, and block blaster bolts. However, since it's a "magic" type of class, it isn't too far-fetched for a Sorcerer to just twiddle it around while destroying things with "magic." Everyone's got a point here. I think it just comes down to personal taste and desire.

Making the Sorcerer a Darth Sidious/Emperor Palpatine "archetype" does make sense if you really think about it. I would say he was more well-known for his power and mastery of the Dark Side of the Force rather than his swordplay.

On a side note I'm currently leveling an Assassin because my dream class doesn't quite exist yet :( As far as I know.

Edited by Kallist_Rhoka

Keep in mind that such battles occurred in the prequels, when Palpatine was lower level and thus had to rely on his lightsaber more. It is only after choosing the Sorcerer advanced class that Inquisitors start to gradually shift from saber to lightning. So just look at the prequel Palpatine as a pre-20s Inquisitor and the later movie Emperor as a high-level Sorcerer, then it makes more sense.

You do have skills as a sorc/sage that swing your lightsaber, you just choose not to click them. (Two in fact)

Plus when running for distance, it deflects fire.

But yeah, all in all, its a stat stick. If i could put the stats on an item and wear it, id fight bare fisted.