The BattleZone Winner's Bracket Match 4: Kit Fisto vs. Savage Opress

Aurbere

Welcome to another match in The BattleZone's Winner's Bracket! Our previous match saw Darth Vader easily triumph over Darth Nyriss. This match pits Kit Fisto against Savage Opress in a contest of speed vs. strength!

Lightsaber Skill:

Kit Fisto: (I will not reiterate my concerns with Fisto’s supposed weakness in single combat for this analysis. Please see my revisit to Shii-Cho for my thoughts on the matter.)

Kit Fisto was renowned as one of the Jedi Order’s finest swordmasters, and one of the few lightsaber duelists that Mace Windu selected to accompany him to arrest the Sith Lord Darth Sidious.

His chosen Lightsaber Form was the first Form, Shii-Cho, which he mastered to its highest levels. At its highest levels, Shii-Cho took on the aspects of Ataru and Juyo, becoming an aggressive and unpredictable fighting style best used when the practitioner gives himself into the Force to become a symbol of the Force’s destructive fury. Naturally, Fisto’s offense was incredibly fast and unpredictable, as well as being highly precise. His defensive skills were reliable, but he preferred evasion over meeting an enemy blow for blow.

Kit Fisto’s mastery of Shii-Cho is clear and he earned his reputation as a great swordmaster.

Savage Opress:

A Nightbrother of Dathomir enhanced by Nightsister magicks, Savage Opress quickly rose to prominence during the Clone Wars as a fearsome Jedi Killer known for brutality and monstrous figure. He received some formal training at the hands of Count Dooku and Darth Maul, but his approach to combat was generally the same: utterly conquer opponents through overwhelming strength. Savage’s offense was brutal and unrelenting. The only options for defense was to simply weather the assault, something only two of his opponents have been successful at, or evade his attacks to find an opening.

Savage had some difficulty dealing with more agile opponents. His unrelenting offense left him open to counterattack by his more agile opponents, a weakness he never truly dealt with.

Edge: Since Savage has little actual skill with the blade, it would be unfair to compare the two in such a way. So Fisto gets the automatic edge.

Physicality:

Kit Fisto:

Kit Fisto is a Nautolan in his physical prime. He is incredibly agile, strong, and durable. His natural Nautolan physiology gifts him with extra cartilage to reinforce his bone structure, providing him with increased durability. His head-tresses are embedded with sensors that allow him to pick up on the pheromones exuded by others, allowing him to read the emotions of others, though they are most effective underwater.

Fisto was an expert in hand-to-hand combat, and his physical capabilities allowed him to twist and turn his bodies to strike enemies at multiple angles simultaneously.

Savage Opress:

Prior to being enhanced by Nightsister magicks, Savage was incredibly strong. Being imbued with these magicks supercharged him far beyond the capabilities of any normal man, even most Jedi and Sith. He had little difficulty killing others with his bare hands, and he possessed the physical toughness to shrug off injuries from blaster bolts and lightsaber strikes. The only thing that slowed him down was having his arm taken off by a lightsaber.

Edge: Kit Fisto is fast, strong, and tough, but Savage is stronger and tougher. Fisto’s only advantage is agility, but all of Savage’s advantages outweigh Fisto’s one.

Mentality:

Kit Fisto:

Kit Fisto was a cunning tactician on and off the battlefield. He was an expert in recognizing the weaknesses of a foe’s fighting style and exploiting them with precision strikes.

Kit Fisto was also proficient in the Jedi Dun Moch tactic, the Jedi Order’s method for psychological warfare designed to force an enemy into surrender or to make a mistake in the midst of combat. In addition to a verbal usage of this tactic, Kit Fisto had a physical affinity for Dun Moch as well. The trademark smile of the Nautolan species was an effective tool that could enrage or force foes to surrender because they would think that their Nautolan opponent was holding back due to their combat superiority.

Savage Opress:

Savage Opress is a brutal warrior. He held a very strong will and little remorse. After his transformation, he was more than willing to kill his brother and other innocent beings. He was loyal to his Sith Lord brother and Mother Talzin. He also relishes in seeing his enemies suffer.

Savage Opress eventually became a level-headed warrior, but still lacked tactical forethought, and often acted without thinking of the consequences.

Edge: Kit Fisto is the tactically superior duelist. Due to Savage’s lack of actual training he fails to consistently take tactical advantages when they appear. Kit Fisto is the smarter man here.

Force Abilities:

Kit Fisto:

Trained as a Jedi Consular, Kit Fisto was a very powerful Jedi Master. Most of his applications with the Force were basic, but he did develop one very powerful ability: the Force Water Orb. A telekinetically reinforced bubble, the Water Orb acted as a missile that acted as a piercing and bludgeoning weapon that ripped apart whatever it came into contact with. Unfortunately this ability, as well as his ability to telekinetically manipulate water currents, was only applicable underwater.

Kit Fisto’s basic Force Pushes were powerful, and he was experienced in using them in the midst of combat to off balance foes. He was also extremely proficient in the use of Force Speed. His application was such that he could baffle even Obi-Wan Kenobi’s experienced gaze.

Savage Opress:

Another bonus from his Nightsister enhancements was his incredible strength with the Force. Though he was limited in his applications, these abilities were all very powerful. Despite being a relative novice, Savage could unleash powerful Force Pushes and Waves with little difficulty. He has even experienced bouts of Dark Rage where he could unleash even more devastating power, as shown when he broke through the Force Barriers of both Count Dooku and Asajj Ventress, two incredibly powerful Force users.

Edge: Savage’s applications of raw power are superior, at least when it comes to land-based Force abilities since Fisto’s Water Orb is limited to underwater displays. Even though Savage’s use of his Force abilities in the midst of combat is rare, they are still more powerful than what Fisto has used. Savage gets the edge.

So who will win? Who is truly superior?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know Aurbere, you kinda made the exact comparsions that my SW sources have made when dealing with Fisto vs Opress. On this note, couple Fisto's saber skill and speed this pretty much negates Savage's strength. Savage can win using TK, but I don't see this happening much .

Plus that Fisto's style is a nice counter for the multiple blades that Savage has, I'm giving him the win here.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

You know Aurbere, you kinda made the exact comparsions that my SW sources have made when dealing with Fisto vs Opress. On this note, couple Fisto's saber skill and speed this pretty much negates Savage's strength. Savage can win using TK, but I don't see this happening much .

Plus that Fisto's style is a nice counter for the multiple blades that Savage has, I'm giving him the win here.

Wolf's mysterious SW Council returns! :D

...But I have to agree.

It's an interesting comparison, for sure.

And I'm curious who your sources are, Wolf. :p

Actually you know what, I think Savage can take this. And here's why.

1. Raw power: In so far pretty much nobody has been able to endure the raw power that Savage can dish out. Count Dooku had his lightsaber slapped out of his hand. Skywalker and Kenobi despite tag-teaming together were driven back rather easily, and after Savage got the jump on Kenobi alone - the supposed Soresu master - he was disarmed in seconds and Adi Gallia was on the back foot 100% before dying. Bar Sidious, Savage beats all. And I think this demonstrates that even top-tier Force Users such as the above don't have the strength to resist Savage.

2. Lack of precision: Precision is Savage's greatest weakness, Shii-Cho has none of it. Its head on, its simple, its raw. Fisto is either going to power through Savage's defenses or exploit a weakness when he overextends himself. Neither of these things seem plausible. Savage's defense is staunch, and his double-bladed lightsaber only assists in this, combined with his raw strength and endurance and its unlikely your going to batter him down or tire him out. The double-bladed lightsaber also protects his arms and legs easily, which means a stray limb isn't going to come flying Fisto's way so he can lop it off a la General Grievous. And he lacks the precision to sever the weapon.

3. Force Abilities: I agree with Aurbere that Savage is the superior Force User, and particularly in terms of raw strength. Yes Fisto is a Jedi Consular and all but I'd say that Savage's Force feats outweigh Fisto's considerably. Which means that Savage's chained Force attacks are going to hit a lot harder than Fisto's.

4. Agility: One of Fisto's major personal advantages is his speed and agility, and his ability to evade Savage's attacks. But we forget that Savage is

His saberstaff is going to help him react to Fisto's attacks much easier as well. And while yes both the saberstaff and his strong style make for slow and even laborious attack sequences Fisto is no lightning bolt, and he doesn't even try to dodge everything. Blows will land. Its merely a question of time.

5. Darth Sidious: Kit Fisto vs Sidious - dead in 5 seconds. Savage vs Sidious - dead in 15. Yeah I went there. And before you say "oh Sidious was toying with him!" Sidious is in a constant state of glee in all his duels, even against Windu and Yoda. Oh, was he toying with Yoda and Windu too? I highly doubt that. Fisto was just too slow. Savage wins.

Edited by Beniboybling

I have to agree with Canino. Dont we normally have an arena that you have chosen? that always helps.

The arena is the BattleZone, as it has been since the start of Round 2. I can post the details if need be, again.

Actually you know what, I think Savage can take this. And here's why.

1. Raw power: In so far pretty much nobody has been able to endure the raw power that Savage can dish out.

Plo Koon did, cause he's awesome (don't make me explain the battle again, just take my word for it, lol)

5. Darth Sidious: Kit Fisto vs Sidious - dead in 5 seconds. Savage vs Sidious - dead in 15. Yeah I went there. And before you say "oh Sidious was toying with him!" Sidious is in a constant state of glee in all his duels, even against Windu and Yoda. Oh, was he toying with Yoda and Windu too? I highly doubt that. Fisto was just too slow. Savage wins.[/color]

You're ignoring the circumstance here. Remember that even Mace Windu was caught off guard by Sidious' speed (confirmed in G-canon sources). Are we going to say that Savage is faster than Mace Windu? No, let's not.

Please sorry I have completely forgotten it thanks :)

Here it is:

A massive domed structure rises from the swamps of Nal Hutta. The walls are made of solid twelve-inch thick durasteel lined with Cortosis ore. Using atmosphere and climate control technology from Dorin, the Hutts transformed the field of battle into a desert wasteland. The skeletons of mighty rancors, nexu, reek, and other creatures litter the field, serving as places of cover or traps to trip up combatants. At the center is a mound that will serve as the starting point for sentient fighters.

Plo Koon did, cause he's awesome (don't make me explain the battle again, just take my word for it, lol)
Sorry but no. Plo Koon let his guard down and was beaten. Regardless of the circumstances he wasn't doing much better than anyone else. All he did was like scratch his leg or something. Great.
You're ignoring the circumstance here. Remember that even Mace Windu was caught off guard by Sidious' speed (confirmed in G-canon sources). Are we going to say that Savage is faster than Mace Windu? No, let's not.
Because Savage wasn't caught off guard by Sidious' speed either? He died Aurbere. And the novel explicitly states that Savage left an opening, thought he could close it, but Sidious moved to fast and struck.

Windu didn't die, he held his own even in the initial bout. I don't deny Sidious speed but given that no evidence suggests Sidious was moving any slower in the battle against Savage and Maul than he was against Windu and co. the fact remains that against that opponent, Savage lasted longer. And he had no back up from Windu either.

I take that to mean Savage is faster.

Sorry but no. Plo Koon let his guard down and was beaten. Regardless of the circumstances he wasn't doing much better than anyone else. All he did was like scratch his leg or something. Great.

I'm not going to bother explaining the battle to you for the umpteenth time, nor will I argue with you about speed, because you are using a very circumstantial means of comparison.

I would argue that Opress knew more of Sidious's abilities then Fisto did. He knew that Sidious was going to be fast and dangerous thanks to his brother, and as I have stated in the past it may not have been about toying with Savage it was likely about waiting to allow Maul to see his brothers death. He wants to break Maul so if Maul was unconsioce when he kills Savage it doesnt send as strong a message as if he lets Maul see him kill Savage.

just 2 cents.

Well, I'll wait to see if anybody else argues in favor of Fisto before I commit. Honestly, Beni, debating you in these matches is rather tedious and boring. Not to say that debating you is boring, but I'm not actually debating, just arguing for the sake of arguing. Sure I'll debate Plo Koon vs. Savage*, but that doesn't really matter here.

So come on out Fisto supporters!

*For the record, Savage could not overwhelm Plo Koon. He only won through circumstance. A victory, true, but not in a way that is applicable to this situation. Non-negotiable.

Well, I'll wait to see if anybody else argues in favor of Fisto before I commit. Honestly, Beni, debating you in these matches is rather tedious and boring. Not to say that debating you is boring, but I'm not actually debating, just arguing for the sake of arguing. Sure I'll debate Plo Koon vs. Savage*, but that doesn't really matter here.

So come on out Fisto supporters!

*For the record, Savage could not overwhelm Plo Koon. He only won through circumstance. A victory, true, but not in a way that is applicable to this situation. Non-negotiable.

Very Well, I shall support the Fisto!!! Buuuut it will have to wait till tomorrow.

I would argue that Opress knew more of Sidious's abilities then Fisto did. He knew that Sidious was going to be fast and dangerous thanks to his brother, and as I have stated in the past it may not have been about toying with Savage it was likely about waiting to allow Maul to see his brothers death. He wants to break Maul so if Maul was unconsioce when he kills Savage it doesnt send as strong a message as if he lets Maul see him kill Savage.

just 2 cents.

That's a good point actually, it also looks as if Sidious was remaining primarily on the defensive. Then as soon as Maul wakes up he stuns him with a kick them impales him in the chest.

Anyway, I never regarded it to be a primary argument, just thought it was worth mentioning.

My point was never that Savage could overwhelm Plo Koon, but that no one in so far has ever been able to resist him. Plo Koon is not an exception here because the duel was unfinished, and little evidence suggests that Koon could have driven Savage back through strength and resisted Savage's own. So ultimately the above would be an assumption.

Essentially, I don't think it counts.

Ok here goes. Kit Fisto, like Aubere mentioned, was a master of Shii Cho. Fisto preferred agility and evasion over head on attacks. Savage has great power and is pretty bulky, but he is extremely slow and sloppy. If Savage can not land a blow on Fisto then Savage will never win. Additionally, because Savage is slow, he will be unable to properly block the agile Fisto.

While Savage has fought many Jedi, it is unlikely that he has encountered an individual with such a radical fighting style. If Savage does not find ways to defend against and map out his opponents fighting style early in the fight, Fisto's speed may be Savage's undoing.

Aubere you going to help me out? Not sure I can go at it alone.