Perhaps Wookie specie imposible

LUCASCASADEIS

There aren't Wookie jedi except wait there was one, lol.

which took place WAY after the game right? so if the canon says 'there's only been one wookie jedi which happened during year X - Y' then why would they allow any before that time period? let alone a whole army full of them

I could see it if they restricted certain races to certain classes. like only allowing wookies to be smugglers(and possibly agents)

which took place WAY after the game right? so if the canon says 'there's only been one wookie jedi which happened during year X - Y' then why would they allow any before that time period? let alone a whole army full of them

I could see it if they restricted certain races to certain classes. like only allowing wookies to be smugglers(and possibly agents)

maybe swtor need forget the canon sometimes, example they did that with the mask of nihilus in the future f2p

maybe swtor need forget the canon sometimes, example they did that with the mask of nihilus in the future f2p

except nihilus was alive before the events of swtor so being able to get his mask after his death seems more feasible than before his death right?

3 actually

but lucas said long ago no more wookie jedi.

So if we want Wookies we need them to have their own class

unless they are in a time between 2 movies when another sw game supposedly took place, when thousands of jedi were just roaming around ;)

sorry i had to include swg, just because george said so, doesnt seem like it cant happen mmos

unless they are in a time between 2 movies when another sw game supposedly took place, when thousands of jedi were just roaming around ;)

sorry i had to include swg, just because george said so, doesnt seem like it cant happen mmos

Except he can yank license if you don't keep him happy.

im not saying that the game wouldn't be more fun with a yoda race, a wookie race, jawa race, etc.

but when you base an MMO on an existing IP, you have to follow the rules of whoever owns that IP. I hear the devs have to submit every single piece of content they make to lucas arts. they said they've had content rejected because a big rock was in the wrong place on one of the planets.

that's the sacrifices you make when basing a game on an existing IP. But what is 'fun' to some can seem blasphemous to diehard fans

im not saying that the game wouldn't be more fun with a yoda race, a wookie race, jawa race, etc.

but when you base an MMO on an existing IP, you have to follow the rules of whoever owns that IP. I hear the devs have to submit every single piece of content they make to lucas arts. they said they've had content rejected because a big rock was in the wrong place on one of the planets.

that's the sacrifices you make when basing a game on an existing IP. But what is 'fun' to some can seem blasphemous to diehard fans

Normally I would agree when you have an established IP you should remain as faithful to it as possible. However, sometimes for sheer popularity and fun factor it is worth bending rules slightly. I see no problem with Wookiees, in fact I would love them to be ingame. It certainly wouldn't be immersion breaking to see them in various roles.

Just to mention also if there is one game that truly does have to stick to lore it's LotRO. But even there they created the Rune Keeper class which was very much pushing the lore to it's limits, basing it on Galadriel.

Edited by Cordelia

Normally I would agree when you have an established IP you should remain as faithful to it as possible. However, sometimes for sheer popularity and fun factor it is worth bending rules slightly. I see no problem with Wookiees, in fact I would love them to be ingame. It certainly wouldn't be immersion breaking to see them in various roles.

Just to mention also if there is one game that truly does have to stick to lore it's LotRO. But even there they created the Rune Keeper class which was very much pushing the lore to it's limits, basing it on Galadriel.

A. Wookiee is a flat out NO for force using classes because George Lucas said no more wookiee jedi ever. EVER.

B. Bioware doesn't want to implement wookiees or any other very non human race because they want to keep the romance options open&simple.

I honestly would not care personally if they were added in. I just don't see it happening.

i mean, there aren't wookies jedis, only the son ( i think) of chewacca was jedi

i think we should be able to play wookies. As it is BW is just rewriting star wars their way. So give us wookies, get ride of voice over on missions and there ya go.

dont get me wrong. i think it would be fun. i dont ever see me rolling a wookie sorc, but the idea is fun.

i also think it'd be fun to queue for LFG and be matched up with people from the opposing faction to complete a flashpoint. but i dont ever see it happening. it's all on the backs of lucas arts though.

it doesn't matter if every single person who plays the game wants to be able to play as a wookie, it's all reliant on getting the green light from the big wigs

A. Wookiee is a flat out NO for force using classes because George Lucas said no more wookiee jedi ever. EVER.

B. Bioware doesn't want to implement wookiees or any other very non human race because they want to keep the romance options open&simple.

I honestly would not care personally if they were added in. I just don't see it happening.

I might find it a little disturbing to see one of the companions making out with a wookie lol

Furry fetish hahaha

• 4 months later...

there is a wookie jedi youngling in season 5 of starwars: the clone wars.

the light saber making droid mentions that its rare and hes only seen a few. the wookie also uses a wood that is as hard and strong as metal to fashion his light saber.

Edited by sithuprising

i mean, there aren't wookies jedis, only the son ( i think) of chewacca was jedi

No there were more and one was before the events of SWTOR:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gungi

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kirlocca

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lowbacca

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ruhr

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tyvokka

Edited by Vitas

The Romance Comment by former BW Employee Daniel Erickson was a JOKE that was made during a Booth Chat and wasn't actual policy. That said, the reason why having Wookiees as a Playable Species won't happen is the fact that they don't speak Basic and it was stated that all Playable Species must speak Basic. Not to mention that if they were allowed they would either only be able to be done like Bowdaar with no armor shown OR would require Equipment with Customized Appearances similar to what SWG did for the Wookiees.

Which, if anyone who actually played SWG will remember that Sony gave Wookiee Players very little equipment and the only equipment that they could wear that showed up would either make them look like everyone else [Trooper-esk Armor] and the Jedi Attires.

except nihilus was alive before the events of swtor so being able to get his mask after his death seems more feasible than before his death right?

Plus, iirc they've stated that the Nihilus/Revan Masks/Attire that are on the Cartel Market are replicas. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that those stuff were replicas

Edited by Altyrell

When you consider that almost every strange species in the game can be force sensitive, from fleshbeasts to even rakghouls, and even the hint of droids of one day being force sensitive, I don't think making a wookie force sensitive is out of the question.

Easiest way of going about it...

Does the species speak basic? Go with the voices as are.

If not, then just have their dialogue be the native gibberish over dialogue. I'm perfectly fine with that.

That works for NPC's and Companions but not for the Player Characters.

=========

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/feature/15728-interview-series-the-audio-of-star-wars-the-old

WB = Will Beckman, Voice Director

DH = Darth Hater

DH: We have been told that players have the option of making their characters a non-human species. Will all players be voiced in galactic basic, be it English, French, or German, or will some be able to speak in an alien language, similar to Jory in the Bounty Hunter demo?

WB: The players will have the option of creating non-human player characters. However all of the player characters will speak basic as much of the entertainment in the conversations comes from the player character responses.

Edited by Altyrell

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/15986-pax-daniel-erickson-clarifies-conversation-with

BioWare's Daniel Erickson posted a response to an inquiry regarding a statement he made during a PAX booth conversation in a thread on the official forums:

You said,

If you can't imagine it making out with Princess Leia, you probably won't be able to play it.

I think a large response would be that many of us have very active imaginations, and can imagine quite a bit, but for some clarification, what can't YOU imagine?

Read on for Erickson's full response.

Hey Folks,

Sorry for the confusion. Booth chat is, let's be clear, not an official information release. What you got was one line of an extended conversation that was had between me and one of the players at the booth. We started talking about what made a hero in Star Wars and then, once that was clear, there were some jokes about what the romances would look like had we gone for the toybox approach of letting you play anything in the action figure line. That's the part of the conversation the quote came from.

The first part was merely a repetition of something we've said before. Namely that lead characters in an RPG must be something the player can relate to. There has never been a movie or major Star Wars series with a complete freak job as the lead and that's because dramatically it doesn't work. We don't understand what it means to be a giant lizard or a droid or a walking ball of jelly. We love the weird characters but they are always the sidekicks, not the emotional connection in the movie. To do an RPG that way every NPC you ran into would have to react to you depending on their own cultural bias and the entire "into the strange" adventure that is Star Wars would be lost as you would be the strangest thing in the room. People would constantly be asking you for information about your weird species and their emotional content that the vast majority of players simply wouldn't have and their ability to really BE this character would be nil.

So whether it's Dragon Age, Mass Effect or The Old Republic, PCs are near enough to humans for us to crawl into their skin. They have generally understandable facial expressions, they don't look ludicrous speaking the basic language, they can interact with the rest of the galaxy without a constant "what the heck?" reaction from the NPCs. The freaks, the droids, the weird that we get to know and learn about--that's where our companions come in.

It's okay to turn to your companions and say "What are you supposed to be?" It's not okay to look in the mirror and say that.

In the future I can see a day where we would do a Trandoshan or Wookiee type story but it would have to be just that. Not a simple graphic swap where now your smuggler is a giant lizard man and nobody notices but a full class story where you learn what it means to be this strange alien and deal with the rest of the galaxy and their reactions. For the present, however, our heroes are our projections of self, headed into a galaxy of wonders and adventures.

I know that this isn't what some people want but I hope it helps them understand that game design isn't simply throwing random features into a game because they seem cool. You have to have a goal, a final holistic ideal that you're trying to hit. The Old Republic is, and always has been, about starring in your own version of a Star Wars movie. Not playing a background character from scene 5, not about living a humdrum day to day existence in the Star Wars worlds (there are no refreshers--sorry!) and not about pulling out the extended action figure line and getting to use it as virtual costume party. None of these are, by themselves, bad goals and could absolutely be fun in a very different sort of game. But in TOR they would work directly against what we were trying to achieve.

So did we limit species choice for romances? No. Did we limit them for our goal of bringing cinematic storytelling and the dream of living the Star Wars movies to the MMO space? Absolutely.

Hope that helps!

Daniel