Kira, the Jedi Knight, and Padawans in TOR

Gaeriel_Averrod

I apologize if this has been explained before, but I'm a little confused by the way Padawans work in SWTOR lore.

Kira is Master Kiwiiks' Padawan, and has been since she joined the Order. This makes sense to me from the standpoint of my general knowledge of how the Master/Padawan relationship works. She then goes on a mission without Master Kiwiiks (on Coruscant with Jedi Knight). This also makes sense to me. But then Master Kiwiiks just kind of leaves to do some different stuff without so much as a "hey, look after Kira for awhile, will ya?", and all of the sudden the game is seems to think that the Jedi Knight is Kira's Master. Or is Master Kiwiiks still Kira's Master, and the JK is just borrowing her? Has the JK just kind of hijacked her by suddenly referring to her as "my Padawan"? Did I accidentally space bar through some important dialogue? I am confused.

This passing around of Padawans seems to be common in TOR. Both the JK and JC are just kind of sent to Tython for the end of their training, never to be contacted by their former Masters again, presumably because the PCs were poor company and/or their old Masters were amnesiacs and forgot all about them.

I haven't finished either story, so maybe this odd aspect of old republic era Jedi culture is explained in some way, but it seems to me that the bond between Master and Padawan is still supposed to be there--we see it in the way Kira interacts with Master Kiwiiks, in the way the game seems to *want* you to interact with Orgus/Yuon.

I'm just really confused by this strange dynamic. Am I the only one? Do you imagine that these situations are exceptions rather than the rule, or are all Padawans supposed to be passed around like frisbees, without so much as a periodic holocall of "hey, I hear you're risking your neck every day for the Republic. How's that going for you?"

Edited by Gaeriel_Averrod

Yeah, I find it a bit strange, too. They could have sent Kira with the knight without making her his/her padawan, which would have avoided the 'musical padawans' scenario, and also avoided the unnecessary slight creepyness of a jedi hitting on his padawan. I do my best to ignore the master/padawan relationship because I don't see it making a lot of sense.

And yeah, I'm aware that the warrior can hit on both

his former (or current) slave

and

his apprentice,

but he's a sith, not a jedi, even if he's LS. At least the impact of it in the jedi story is lessened byt the fact that in the romantic relationship, she's the more forceful of the two.

Edited by errant_knight

Well, at least it's not just me :rolleyes:

And yeah, SW is much, much creepier. I'm playing both Jedi classes as female toons, so at least there's no hot-for-teacher thing happening there. Still feels weird to be someone's "Master" when they already have a Master and you very recently her peer rather than her superior.

well, with the JK, eventually....

Kira gets promoted to Jedi status, so technically, she's not your padawan anymore after that. just a partner.

my JK is female, so i don't know how the romance arc for Kira goes yet. though i thought the one between Nadia and the male Consular was awful creepy for Jedi....

i swear, she has got to be the clingiest companion ever. especially after her father dies. -_-

I always got the sense that Kira and the Jedi Knight were closer to partners than teacher and student anyway so thei relationship didn't feel creepy at all. If Kiwis was her teacher, the Knight felt more like her Teaching Assistant who happened to be saddled with her more than usual.

I always got the sense that Kira and the Jedi Knight were closer to partners than teacher and student anyway so thei relationship didn't feel creepy at all. If Kiwis was her teacher, the Knight felt more like her Teaching Assistant who happened to be saddled with her more than usual.

This is a valid point. Kira is a strong character and it's entirely possible for the knight to think the master/padawan thing is just more over thought nonsense on the part of the council. While it's possible to treat her like a padawan, most of the responses are more partner-like. Like I mentioned earlier, in a lot of conversations, Kira leads if you let her.

I apologize if this has been explained before, but I'm a little confused by the way Padawans work in SWTOR lore.

Kira is Master Kiwiiks' Padawan, and has been since she joined the Order. This makes sense to me from the standpoint of my general knowledge of how the Master/Padawan relationship works. She then goes on a mission without Master Kiwiiks (on Coruscant with Jedi Knight). This also makes sense to me. But then Master Kiwiiks just kind of leaves to do some different stuff without so much as a "hey, look after Kira for awhile, will ya?", and all of the sudden the game is seems to think that the Jedi Knight is Kira's Master. Or is Master Kiwiiks still Kira's Master, and the JK is just borrowing her? Has the JK just kind of hijacked her by suddenly referring to her as "my Padawan"? Did I accidentally space bar through some important dialogue? I am confused.

This passing around of Padawans seems to be common in TOR. Both the JK and JC are just kind of sent to Tython for the end of their training, never to be contacted by their former Masters again, presumably because the PCs were poor company and/or their old Masters were amnesiacs and forgot all about them.

I haven't finished either story, so maybe this odd aspect of old republic era Jedi culture is explained in some way, but it seems to me that the bond between Master and Padawan is still supposed to be there--we see it in the way Kira interacts with Master Kiwiiks, in the way the game seems to *want* you to interact with Orgus/Yuon.

I'm just really confused by this strange dynamic. Am I the only one? Do you imagine that these situations are exceptions rather than the rule, or are all Padawans supposed to be passed around like frisbees, without so much as a periodic holocall of "hey, I hear you're risking your neck every day for the Republic. How's that going for you?"

Mater kiwiiks just goes on what was at the time an easy mission but she goes missing in action so master Master Satele Shan decides to make the knight Kiras new master. and I've not done it in a while now sorry i couldn't explain in more detail.

so no its not what usually happens on TOR. :)

Edited by ZxGunneRz
Mistakes in spellings