Windows 8 Support for SWTOR

Arlon_Nabarlly

With Windows 8 officially being officially released is there any word on if/when SWTOR will officially be supported for this OS? I'm wondering because I'm working on building a new PC within the next few weeks and considering Windows 8. Since SWTOR is one of the main things I use my PC for it would be silly to do this if EA isn't going to support it. I've found threads both here and on Windows 8 Beta forums saying people have got it to work, but my question is about official support, and not so much if it will work/could be made to work.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... While it does not guarantee it, I can't think of anything in SWTOR that would cause it to fail if changing the OS.

And thus I am cloning my current HD and then installing Win8, after I see if(or when) the OS fondling SWTOR screws up my new OS, I can pop out the disk with win8 on it and pop in the clone of win7... just in case. :D

Windows 8 is built on top of the Windows 7 core. Thus, anything that works on Windows 7 should work seamlessly with Windows 8. While it does not guarantee it, I can't think of anything in SWTOR that would cause it to fail if changing the OS.

Try getting Fallout 3 GOTYE to work on Win 7 (you can but it's a royal PITA) even though it works fine on 2000, XP and Vista.

Not saying SWTOR won't work fine, but it doesn't mean it will either.

SWTOR works great in Windows 8.

WIn 8 uses less resources and leaves more for any application, even SWTOR.

I have been running Win 8 since customer preview and have had no Win 8 related issues.

Just make sure your video card and other items that plug in to your computer have drivers for Win 8.

I know Nvidia has had drivers out since Jan.

Windows 8 is built on top of the Windows 7 core. Thus, anything that works on Windows 7 should work seamlessly with Windows 8. While it does not guarantee it, I can't think of anything in SWTOR that would cause it to fail if changing the OS.

Famous last words.

I have been running Win 8 since customer preview and have had no Win 8 related issues.

Just make sure your video card and other items that plug in to your computer have drivers for Win 8.

You are like the .0001 % that actually likes the new product. Windows 8 is in the same vein as Windows ME and Windows Vista. Wait until more people are forced into it, then the true hate will be realized.

You are like the .0001 % that actually likes the new product. Windows 8 is in the same vein as Windows ME and Windows Vista. Wait until more people are forced into it, then the true hate will be realized.

QFT.

Windows 95 - Good

Windows 98 - Crap

Windows 98SE - Good

Windows ME - Crap

Windows XP - Good

Windows Vista - Crap

Windows 7 - Good

Windows 8 - Crap?

See the pattern?

My wife and I have been using Windows 8 retail version (I have an MSDN sub) for over two weeks and we play SWTOR daily. It has been working just fine. However, we both use NVidia graphics cards and they have been really good, as usual, with their driver support. I can't guarantee you'll have the same experience with ATI and Windows 8.

My wife and I have been using Windows 8 retail version (I have an MSDN sub) for over two weeks and we play SWTOR daily. It has been working just fine. However, we both use NVidia graphics cards and they have been really good, as usual, with their driver support. I can't guarantee you'll have the same experience with ATI and Windows 8.

Works great for me with an ATI card no issues at all and seems to run better than it did under W7

Unless you're trying to run SWTOR on a Leap Pad or InnoTab, why would you want Win 8 support?

Not that either device would run the game, mind you, but if you want your computer to look like something in a pre-school, I suppose you picked the right OS.

I did not include 2000 as it is more server oriented, along with NT and 2008. I only included the main home user desktop versions (the kind any old joe can go buy at best-buy or walmart).

A lot of gamers did switch to 2000 from 98 in order to get better 32bit drivers and performance (better USB! Fewer BSODs! NTFS!). Many of us used it until XP became stabilized (SP1/SP2).

QFT.

Windows 95 - Good

Windows 98 - Crap

Windows 98SE - Good

Windows ME - Crap

Windows XP - Good

Windows Vista - Crap

Windows 7 - Good

Windows 8 - Crap?

See the pattern?

Definitely a pattern here, however, one could always HOPE that Win8 will be the combo-breaker :)

Although unless there's been some major improvements since the Release Preview to Technet subs I'm not holding onto that hope..... :(

Edited by Krayven

QFT.

Windows 95 - Good

Windows 98 - Crap

Windows 98SE - Good

Windows ME - Crap

Windows XP - Good

Windows Vista - Crap

Windows 7 - Good

Windows 8 - Crap?

See the pattern?

The only pattern I see is yet another "QFT" post, that doesn't.

Win95 - At launch a complete nightmare due to poor driver support. Took around 5-6 months before proper drivers were freely available and for patches to allow games that were looking for EMS/XMS memory to stop looking.

Win98 - At launch extremely stable as it was, for all terms and purposes a service packed Win95.

Win98SE - Simply added some nice extra features to an already stable OS. Many people called SE a "really big Service Pack"

WinME - You got this one right. Although mainly based on Win95/98/SE a new driver model causes many issues which MS seemed reluctant to fix. Mainly because the old 9x code was already dead.

Windows NT4 - Missed for some reason. As a desktop OS (NT4 Workstation) extremely stable due to the inclusion of a HAL. The HAL made the OS extremely stable, however games houses seemed unable to code around a HAL and so graphics and sound drivers were an issue.

Windows 2000 - Brilliant OS from the very start. The move from 9x code and the use of the HAL meant this OS was perfect for both business and home users. (Product was called NT5 during development and renamed 2000 as it was felt it would be perfect for both business and home users)

Windows XP - Based largely on the 2000 code it added "home friendly" features to an already stable OS. Better driver support as the OS was embraced and games starting to appear for an OS based on the NT kernel.

Windows Vista - A new OS from the ground up taking over only a very small amount of the base XP code. A very stable OS and very useable. Slated due to "bandwagonism" and the "kewl kids dissing Microsoft". The Azure project showed that as soon as you removed the word Vista from all screens everyone suddenly said they loved it - funny that.

Windows 7 - Based largely on the Vista code, some 85% of the code carried between the two OS's. Skinning changes and the addition of a useful toolset made this a preferred OS over Vista. More stable that it's predecessor due to the additional code.

Windows 8 - Already showing to be faster in some applications. Already "bandwagonism" starting to appear. New interface is there as the machine boots before a single click takes you to the desktop. Charms and simple shortcut keys allow for you to do more and faster with Win8 over WIn7. Learning curve steeper than with previous updates, and that of course puts many people off - as it means learning something. But no more of a curve than 3.11 - 95 was.

So in response to your post:

Win95 - Win98SE (9x Code line) all great, general improvements at each release, but certainly no crap OS's here

WinME (9x Code line) Attempt to be the final product losing the now defunct 9x code, bad OS

WInNT4 (NT4 Code line) Excellent OS let down by bad driver support - however forerunner for the next gen OS's

Win2000 - Win8 - Hasn't been a bad release yet. Each OS building on the previous and offering new features.

i advise you not to use windows 8. it doesn't run faster it has a **** UI(Touchscreen orientated) and its just generally terrible. personal opinion of course but from my experiance its terrible.

O and also for full screen gaming it dosn't disable the sidebars which means that you could be in the middle of an op and move your mouse to the right of the screen click and bam back on the start menu its bloody annoying

The biggest issue with Windows 8 for me was the sidebar as stated above. It just seems an idea that wasn't well thought through... I mean everytime you want to close a window you get blocked by an annoying autohide bar that performs the exact same services as clicking on the start menu would normally... except there isn't a proper start menu anymore its a full screen overlay.

Drivers may be supported but in terms of SWTOR in particular I noticed no real difference except occasionally the sidebar would appear when i move the mouse to the right hand side. If there is an option to disable it, can someone please explain how then the game would be fine.

Speed wise I personally thought windows 7 seemed faster with Game Booster running compared to Windows 8 but that could just be down to the program.

Thank you for this opinion, I was looking for some user sharing experience before I jump to W8. In my case: W8 Pro (40$) vs. W7 Pro (few hundreds still) so I can use more RAM for SWTOR Unleashed.

Unless you're trying to run SWTOR on a Leap Pad or InnoTab, why would you want Win 8 support?

Not that either device would run the game, mind you, but if you want your computer to look like something in a pre-school, I suppose you picked the right OS.

Suggest you do a little research, there is internal stuff in win8 so you boot to your old desktop instead of metro. There are also 3rd party programs that do the same.

Lack of knowledge is a dangerous thing.......

So far Win8 experience:

1. Problem with being unable to restart without an error, but this is Motherboard specific: Gigabyte boards have an ON?OFF app specifically created for the IPad...ya knew Apple would mess things up. You have to remove this Gigabyte program to solve this problem.

2. As to SWTOR, launcher works fine, as well as download of most recent update.

3. BUT when click on "PLAY" get the little blue circle going round and round, but when first wait screen should come up, blue circle disappears and NOTHING. Dunno, checked to ensure all programs are run as ADMIN(swtor.exe, launcher.exe), downloaded and installed old DirectX 9 stuff, running in compatibility mode ... really weird. :confused:

Guess I'll have to plug my win7 clone drive in to play today.