Guide: Newcomers

Goshee

Ok, wanted to post with one thing I noticed missing from this guide and game in general. And that is how focus target works. I'm an interweb noob, so I don't have photobucket and that stuff or I would make screen shots. I will attempt, however, to explain how it works in text.

First off. Go to preferences, at the bottom of the preferences window you will see a tab labeled key bindings. Once in key bindings, go to Targeting.

Once in targeting, you will see the fourth option down is set focus target/swap focus target. This key combination (whatever you choose it to be) will allow you to choose who your focus target shall be. Once you have this established, try it out. You can use your companion even.

If you have done this correctly, you will see a new window pop up above the right side of your lower quickslots, between your quickslots and minimap. This is now your focus target.

But wait, there is more.

Now go back to preferences, keybindings, targeting.... and now scroll down. Second from the bottom will be focus target modifier.

THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART.

Whichever key combination you choose to be focus target modifier will allow you to cast spells on your focus target without switching targets. This is especially important for any healer.

If you're doing it right, your cursor will turn purple when you're holding down your focus target modifier key.

So, for example. I have my set/swap focus target as alt+F.... and I have my "G" key as my focus target modifier. Once my focus target is set, all I have to do is hold down my G key, and any spells I then cast that are beneficial will be directed toward my focus target, without my having to press group member window, mouse, or do anything else.

Just thought I would share in case any were not aware of how it worked, and thought it maybe could be added to the sticky already present.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the best way to target an enemy. Ive used tab to target but im not that good at it. I have to look at the keys. When Im grouped im like standing around not hitting anything because of targeting. I dont like using the mouse. Is there a auto target I can turn on. Also, can you use a console controler, (ps3P

This is a hardware workaround and might be out of some people's budgets, however, I recently picked up a logitech G13 Gameboard and love it for playing SWTOR. I think its like $65 on amazon and has completely changed the way I play the game. You can remap keys to it so that you really don't need to move your left hand at all. It has a little thumb stick to control movement so you actually free up your fingers on your left hand from needing to use the A,S,W & D keys for movement. Couple that with a gaming mouse like the Naga Razer and you have a killer combo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Thanks so much for taking the time to write this out so clearly and organized. I agree this should be pinned. When read it improves a new player's experience considerably or at least their understanding of how the game works and WTH people are talking about (see Acronyms) :)

• 1 year later...