Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

J'exx's Guide to Proton Torpedoes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
J'exx's Guide to Proton Torpedoes

havokhead
02.20.2015 , 11:52 AM | #1
Proton torpedoes, when used properly, can be a very effective weapon. In fact, they are probably my favourite weapon to use despite the bad rap they have received here in the forums. I regularly score 10+ protorp kills every match that I use them. It's all about knowing your weapon and how best to use it.

-Advantages-
1) Range, protorps give a pilot great destructive capability at long distances which adds survivability as well.
2) Damage, a protorp hit really hurts. Shield and armour bypass means that damage is applied directly to hulls.
3) "One-shotting" scouts, a protorp crit usually vaporizes scouts due to advantage 2 coupled with low scout hulls.
4) "Softening-Up" targets, a single protorp hit leaves all but bombers severely crippled if not destroyed out-right.
5) "Fire-and-Forget", any foe with less than half their hull struck by a protorp is dead so once locked on and fired move on to a new target.

-Disadvantages-
1) Useless until tier 4, without speed boost protorps are easily outrun.
2) Difficult to lock on, a small targeting reticle and long lock-on time means harder targeting.
3) Slow re-load times, sometimes would-be targets get away while your protorp is reloading.
4) Limited ammo, not a huge issue but can be a nuisance without ammo replenishment.

-Tips-
1) Stay at range!! The small reticle means targets at closer range easily out maneuver your ability to lock on, staying at range helps negate this as wider ranges of movement at range stay in the reticle more consistently. Protorps under 6000m are very difficult to lock-on unless you're going head-to-head. In this case switch weapons.
2) At tier 4 grab missile speed boost, your success in hitting targets goes from roughly 30% to 90%, that's HUGE!
3) At tier 5 grab the range increase, going from 9800 to 11500m is a big advantage when your weapon is meant for long range.
4) Look for targets that just blew their missile break. Studying the battlefield from range, you can easily see foes blowing engine abilities and DF. Take that opportunity to lock-on and fire.
5) Choose targets out in the open or headed for open space. Long lock-ons means Line-of-sight is a problem. Don't waste valuable time trying to target enemies weaving through asteroids or ship yards. Move on to a new target or switch weapons.
6) Take crew members that add reticle bonus, get all the targeting help you can. Extra ammo and faster re-loads don't mean much when you aren't hitting anything to begin with.

Like anything else, it's simply maximizing advantages while minimizing disadvantages. Good luck and happy hunting.
-J'exx [Nova Squadron]

-Stiletto[Eclipse Squadron]

Ryuku-sama
02.20.2015 , 12:36 PM | #2
Just no.
T4 with wider arcs is WAY better. With one you can actually acquiere a lock on a few things under 5k.Get your arc as wide as you canif you plan to use a torpedo.
No scout ever will get killed by a torp launched from over 500m. Even with the speed boost, the delay is just long enough to fire a breaker.. And you are without torp for 12s.... Power Dive is up every 10s. Close range torpedoes are way more deadly than speeded long range torpedoes.
"If it wasn't broken, we shall break it. If it is balanced, we shall beat it until slow and painful death follows. If it is overpowered, it is working as intended." - Bioware 2015

havokhead
02.20.2015 , 01:07 PM | #3
Lol, I kill scouts all the time, read my guide fully, you gotta look for people popping missile breaks to be effective. So what you're saying is the only way for a protorp to be effective is to chase people with it locked on at close range? And hope while you're locked on chasing people you don't get shot down? I'm not saying you're way won't work but it's a lot more effort to get a kill and your survivability must tank since you're always charging at everyone. I run a 10-1 K/D ratio my way. Wouldn't your method be more successful with concussion missiles? Larger reticle, closer range and more damage?....
-J'exx [Nova Squadron]

Ryuku-sama
02.20.2015 , 01:27 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by havokhead View Post
Lol, I kill scouts all the time, read my guide fully, you gotta look for people popping missile breaks to be effective. So what you're saying is the only way for a protorp to be effective is to chase people with it locked on at close range? And hope while you're locked on chasing people you don't get shot down? I'm not saying you're way won't work but it's a lot more effort to get a kill and your survivability must tank since you're always charging at everyone. I run a 10-1 K/D ratio my way. Wouldn't your method be more successful with concussion missiles? Larger reticle, closer range and more damage?....
I run this method mainly on a Imperium able to actually tank the damage with CP, PD and Probes or Direct, PD and Slicing or on Troll Double Torp. My Quell and Rycer are running with Cluster/Conc.

Problems with your method IMO is you're completely ineffective on a sat, you end up being an easy target for gunships. I guess your method would totally work with a Quell running HLC and Cluster.. But you don't get high KDR with Protorp but with Clusters. Clusters and Supression can basicly land kills on scouts way better than a Protorp. Any scout can delay a Protorp lock by at least 10s... And PD is free.
"If it wasn't broken, we shall break it. If it is balanced, we shall beat it until slow and painful death follows. If it is overpowered, it is working as intended." - Bioware 2015

havokhead
02.20.2015 , 01:42 PM | #5
-J'exx [Nova Squadron]

Ryuku-sama
02.20.2015 , 01:43 PM | #6
Eh?? Repost much?

havokhead
02.20.2015 , 02:00 PM | #7
Are you saying you shoot down satellite defenses with protorps? Are you saying you run this Imperium build all the time or just to take satellites during domination matches? My way you can run protorps on any fighter and in any situation. Your way is only on a specialty build in certain circumstances and I'm the one who's wrong? I would love to see your build at work in a death match, how can you chase down anything for close range protorps in an Imperium? Besides if you're chasing everything to close range how are you supporting your team with repair probes? If you are shooting down satellite defences with protorps then I'd rethink that, you have 8 torpedoes and you wasted 3 to take a satellite and 1 or 2 more on a bomber?
-J'exx [Nova Squadron]

Lendul
02.20.2015 , 02:23 PM | #8
Havok/Jexx you have a big misunderstanding as to how missiles work. You can not out run a missile. Once a missle is locked you either have to use a missile break or it hits regardless of how far you run. The only thing in the game you can outrun are seeker mines.

jmjeffw
02.20.2015 , 03:08 PM | #9
Decent guide with some good tips, but I'm going to have to disagree with some of your points.

1) Useless until tier 4, without speed boost protorps are easily outrun.
This may have been the case pre-engine nerf when all engine missile breaks had a 10 second cooldown, but not so much any more. With longer cooldowns, it is much easier to hit with missiles than it was pre-nerf.

In fact, you seem to be saying that protorps are not viable without the speed upgrade, which could not be farther from the truth. The t4 option that increases the arc is absolutely useful, and in fact you later point out the need for having a larger arc to help in aquiring locks. In any case, using the t4 speed boost is in no way a necessity or a no-brainer.

2) At tier 4 grab missile speed boost, your success in hitting targets goes from roughly 30% to 90%, that's HUGE!
I'm curious where you got this figure from. If you can provide a source or solid reasoning to back this up, I'd like to hear it, otherwise it sounds like you just made it up.

Quote: Originally Posted by Lendul View Post
Havok/Jexx you have a big misunderstanding as to how missiles work. You can not out run a missile. Once a missle is locked you either have to use a missile break or it hits regardless of how far you run. The only thing in the game you can outrun are seeker mines.
Indeed, you can't outrun missiles. You can only buy yourself enough time for your missile break to come off cooldown, in which case you still need enough engine power to activate it. Also there are times when your missile break is disabled, such as with Slicing or Sabotage Probe, that would prevent you from "outrunning" it. Though, I've never heard of being able to outrun Seeker Mines, are you sure this is the case?

Again, some solid tips overall. I'll add some of my own: Holding a missile lock can be very useful, especially when you can use it to get a jumpy pilot to blow their missile break. In that case, simply wait a couple seconds and acquire the lock again, since you won't have the reload time from actually launching the torp.

Also, charging in and releasing the torp at point blank range can be quite effective (not to mention satisfying). It can be employed against a scout or strike that is attacking another target. They will be holding off their break while trying to maximize their dps on target, relying on the fact that they have a missile break primed and ready to go. Often the missile will hit before they have a chance to react to it.

Drakkolich
02.20.2015 , 03:11 PM | #10
Awesome tips!

Personally I think targeting arc vs speed is more of a personal choice, they both have their merits. If you like the point blank proton style of course you are going to like the extra arc, if you like the long range missile sniper type play you will really need that speed upgrade.

As for "outrunning missiles" this term is more on the lines of running until your missile break comes off cooldown. The slow missile gives them more time to have a missile break come back up.

@Lendul, I'm pretty sure seeker mines work exactly as regular missiles once they have locked on to you and the only way to break them is with a missile break. I will however test this now and try to outrun seekers that have locked on to me.
DrakolichDrakolích
The BastionTwitch Stream