Me no skippy

So.

I understand that some people have done a flashpoint or heroic mission 9001 times, and wants to skip all conversations (plzz skip, plss skip, spacebar please). And then hurries past mobs, bonus missions and even bosses sometimes.

Why can't people have some courtesy and understand that some people haven't done this 9001 times? When I do a flashpoint/heroic mission that I have done before, I never skip things unless I'm sure everyone has done it before and wants to skip things.

This annoys me a lot, especially since this game focus a lot on story (which is pretty much my favourite thing in swtor). How do I find people to play with that doesn't do this? Can't there be two options on the LFG thing: Skip/Fast run or Full/Completion run. I want to enjoy the game without being the group A-hole as a consequence.

I suspect I'm the minority here, but what do you guys think?

Unfortunately there are rude people around. That can't really be helped.

I prefer skipping myself. I've been doing these flashpoints for some 11 months now, heck, some of the guys in there call me by name and ask me if it's all well with the family! And so are many other players. Normally I take a quick look at their hp. If it's not abysmally low I'll just go ahead and start skipping, assuming they don't need much from the flashpoint.

But, if somebody asks for it, I'll gladly kill everything, unless I'm, for some reason, in a hurry. But truth to be told, if you're looking for gear (and not the conversations), it's faster to just skip everything, complete the fp fast, and do another one right after that. That's the advice I give to people who do that for gearing.

Now, if you want to listen to the convos that's another matter, and while I prefer skipping these as well, they don't steal much time either, except on the esseles.

In general if you mention that you haven't seen the flashpoint before people are generally good about not complaining about watching the cutscenes. If they do complain you likely don't want to group with them anyhow. As for finding a group that doesn't mind the cutscenes you should look for a guild with similar interests to your own. I know on the republic side of Bergeren Colony there are few complaints aout people not skipping.

This is far from the first time this topic's been discussed, but I do think It's getting a bit out of hand. People will make the argument of hard modes especially that "you've already seen the cutscenes in regular mode, right" except lots of people haven't. There are no shortage of players who only start FPs at 50 and never saw the lower level version.

Then there's the native level 50 flashpoints, like False Emperor and Ilum. I've been 50 for months, have healed these two FPs dozens of times and I have never once seen the cutscenes to either. Unless I try YouTube I probably never will. Players are so rude and so arrogant now that even the healer or tank will get votekicked for even asking and replaced by someone's Rakata-geared companion.

And that's nothing to the first time ever I ran Taral V with my Commando (who had been soloed to 50 back in the day) and the whole team literally ran to the end, clicked a console and left. The total number of mobs defeated was countable on the fingers of one hand.

What's needed is a redefinition of the LFG tool's completion requirements. Make the non-bonus bosses all mandatory. Set a kill threshold of a minimum number of trash mobs defeated. Tweak some of the maps to eliminate the worst of the skipping (Taral I'm looking at you).

Oh and add incentives for cutscenes -- like bonus loot, titles or legacy perques unlocked only by viewing uninterrupted cutscenes.

I am ok with watching the cut scenes, except for essels (20 min fp turns into over an hour with all the convos). However, I would appreciate the courtesy of a player asking to watch the cut scenes so I am not skipping them like a madman only to get the "waiting for other players" notice. That sucks.

I will kill anything because at worst it give me xp towards my legacy. Again, it is nice to talk about that before so everyone's expectation is on the same page.

Try to understand both sides otherwise both sides are just being rude.

I spacebar, I finally did the bonus and watch all the cutscenes on Taral V and Maelstrom Prison. I wanted to see them, plus wanted a drop, so I just soloed them with one of my 50’s. That way I knew I would get the drop, plus I didn’t have to worry about someone yelling space bar. Any level 50 can breeze through them with no problem.

If you want to do Battle of Ilum or False Emperor, then do your dailies on Ilum and watch general chat. I know I have done both at least 20 times outside of group finder after watching someone spam general chat for 20 mins looking for a healer. The difference there is the group knows what they are getting into. I will wait for you to watch the cutscenes, do the bonus and completely explore an instances if the group want to do that, but when 2 out of 3 want to skip, then I will skip. It is a group, so it should be what the group wants and not individuals. Me, I don’t care either way. Love skipping so that it is quick, but have no problem if the group wants to do it all either.

Edited by mikebevo

I'm not against it when the whole group has done the content before, maybe multiple times. But if one person hasn't done it, I think it's obvious that you should let them experience the whole thing.

I also remember the first time I did Taral, the tank (which often is the unofficial leading authority) just speeded past things, zigg-zagging between mob groups, passing a boss and bonus objectives. When you say that you want to do the content they usually just either ignore you or just deny you. I guess if you're a tank you might be able to do the content you want.

If after asking to do the content doesn't work, I usually don't object further, because I don't like being the obstruction in the machinery, the one who's "slowing us down". But it shouldn't be that way.

sadly skipping most of the content is becoming the norm with the recent released wow clone mmos with a group finder. that being said inherent group content design flaws also propagate this skipping and how the rewards are handed out contribute too. when all you have to do is get the carrot at the end of the race it no longer matters what you are running by, through or with. we can all blame blizzard for this.

waiting in a queue longer than to run the race for the carrot has gotten old now for many. the same people can watch a YouTube video hundreds of times and yet not a cut scene twice. it is beyond sad, borders on pathetic and is indeed very selfish. but it is here now so we must deal with it the best we can.

I've been away for long time, and just recently came back to the game, but from what i remember, unless ALL players spacebar the dialogues, they could not be skipped. Has that been changed, meaning if one player spacebars the dialogue, it skips for everyone?

no it only skips the dialogue for them, and when they get to the end and it says "waiting for other players", said skipper starts moaning "SPAACBARRRRR"

This may not apply to the OP, but it will apply to some people; If you don't want to skip, say it in team. Please don't sit quietly and emo rage because someone wants to skip.

PUGS are horrible partly because players don't speak up and let their team know what they're doing or what they want. Why team up if you wont be a team player? FFS.

As of late PUGS have been extra horrible for me. I'm guessing this is because a lot of fresh 50s have returned to the game due to f2p and the cartel market.

i find the FP more enjoyable if you dont rush through them. Also, if someone ask to see all story i will agree. If someone have a problem they can leave. i´ll be the healer or maybe the tank so we´ll probably manage allright even if someone ragequit.

Usually i spacebar like everyone else, however if anyone demands that we spacebar i´ll stop spacebarring and watch story. Noone is going to tell me how to play the game. I might even tell the group i´m watching the story, just so the ones who want to can watch story too and not have to look at "waiting for other players". Ofc. that also gives them the chance to kick me, but i´ll take that chance.

I've been away for long time, and just recently came back to the game, but from what i remember, unless ALL players spacebar the dialogues, they could not be skipped. Has that been changed, meaning if one player spacebars the dialogue, it skips for everyone?

No it doesn't and unless the person screamin spacebar asks everyone there really is no way he/she would know who is nto spacebarring unless the group only has two people.

But that is why i prefer doing them with friends and my guild. We take the time to enjoy it and never tell anyone to spacebar and they are patient even when i'm lagging.

On the flip side, if 3 people have done this 9001 times, and the only pleasure they can take from it anymore is completing as quickly and efficiently as possible, it's just as rude to demand they comform to you wanting to adding 20 minutes to a single FP, something they may do three of a day.

I understand that some people have done a flashpoint or heroic mission 9001 times, and wants to skip all conversations (plzz skip, plss skip, spacebar please). And then hurries past mobs, bonus missions and even bosses sometimes.

Why can't people have some courtesy and understand that some people haven't done this 9001 times? When I do a flashpoint/heroic mission that I have done before, I never skip things unless I'm sure everyone has done it before and wants to skip things.

This annoys me a lot, especially since this game focus a lot on story (which is pretty much my favourite thing in swtor). How do I find people to play with that doesn't do this? Can't there be two options on the LFG thing: Skip/Fast run or Full/Completion run. I want to enjoy the game without being the group A-hole as a consequence.

I suspect I'm the minority here, but what do you guys think?

I understand that some people have not done a flashpoint many times, and want to watch all conversations. And then want to kill all mobs they can for fun, do all bonus missions possible and kill every boss.

Why can't people have some courtesy and understand that a lot of people have done these flashpoints 9001 times? When I do a flashpoint that I've done before, I always skip things unless I know some people haven't done it before and want to go through the story.

This annoys me a lot, especially since this game focuses a lot on loot and gearing up. How do I find people to play with that are only interested in this? Can't there be two options on LFG: Longer story run or fast loot run. I want to enjoy the game without being the group A-hole.

I suspect I'm the majority here, but what do you guys think?

Above is the counter argument to the OP, phrased in a way as similar as I could make it. The juxtaposition of those points presents an interesting dichotomy that was enjoyable to write, though I am not aggressing the OP. It merely serves as a tool to look at both sides and realize that both are valid arguments. It is also interesting that both sides reach the same conclusion, a separation of interest with respect to queuing. It seems both sides would agree that this would work; however, I myself have doubts about the population of people that would queue for the longer story/completion path. If queues were significantly longer for that subsect, then people would just go back to the fast track ones, and you would be back where we started.

One thing that someone mentioned up a few posts which I think is important, is communication, or lack thereof. Many have stated they would not mind doing a full completion with conversations if someone wanted to. As such, talking with group members is key. I have been in so many cases where a member will not even respond to a direct question asked of them. That in itself is dishearting, because I am left to wonder, "are they afraid of being insulted/do they think I'm going to trash talk them if they respond/are they not able to communicate for some reason?" I do my best to be cordial in game, and only offer criticism to help people improve, avoiding attitude as much as possible. I'm not sure what causes some to be communicative and others not, but it's an interesting issue defined by the players themselves.

Yes there might certainly be a lack of communication, but there are also people who just doesn't want to go through the content (Edit: And if those people happen to be the tank or maybe the healer, they usually have the power to just rush past things without your consent.)

I don't really recognize that there are two sides of the coin. This goes for anything, any sport or game or work even, if there's someone who hasn't done the activity before, you don't just rush through it. At least that's my opinion.

Edited by Wallner

I usually just kick people from group that don't skip and pull out a companion to finish it. I am not there to waste time or hold hands I'm there to get my daily done and get out as soon as possible. I have better things to do than hold someones hand. I pay to play this game for me not for someone else.

I usually just kick people from group that don't skip and pull out a companion to finish it. I am not there to waste time or hold hands I'm there to get my daily done and get out as soon as possible. I have better things to do than hold someones hand. I pay to play this game for me not for someone else.

So the person who wants to do the content, should he kick you for skipping, and ruining the game he/she has paid for?

Since people look at this thing so completely different the LFG option mentioned is so far the only way I see as a solution here. Or if you guild up and only play with people that caters to your playstyle.

I like the 'additional option in the LFG Finder' idea, but make it so there are three options in the drop-down/radio box - first, 'only interested in complete playthroughs', second 'only interested in fast skipping playthroughs', and third 'don't care'. Further, it should be made clear that if you choose the 'don't care' option, a complete playthrough desire beats a fast skipping playthrough desire, so if even one person chooses 'complete' rather than 'don't care', the group is effectively playing a 'complete' playthrough.

This would eliminate/drastically reduce the issue with the 'complete' playthrough player pool being cut down in size drastically.

communication. I always ask if everyone has done this and i ask if we can skip.

I ask about the bosses as well.

The only annoyance i have is when i ask if we can skip and then one person does not answer, we just wait and wait and wait.

If you want to watch, that is fine. Just dont have us space bar through and then wait for you because you did not speak up.

This may not apply to the OP, but it will apply to some people; If you don't want to skip, say it in team. Please don't sit quietly and emo rage because someone wants to skip.

Yes please! If you dont want to skip thats fine, ill just find another group to play with. ;) Or you know if its a FP with few words ill sit thought it and let you watch it. Its just always better to say something if you wanna watch it.

I like the 'additional option in the LFG Finder' idea, but make it so there are three options in the drop-down/radio box - first, 'only interested in complete playthroughs', second 'only interested in fast skipping playthroughs', and third 'don't care'. Further, it should be made clear that if you choose the 'don't care' option, a complete playthrough desire beats a fast skipping playthrough desire, so if even one person chooses 'complete' rather than 'don't care', the group is effectively playing a 'complete' playthrough.

This would eliminate/drastically reduce the issue with the 'complete' playthrough player pool being cut down in size drastically.

Good idea, but you will have many problems with implementation there. For starters, people might choose the "don't care" option for the first few runs, but once they realize that they might have to do a full completion if someone else selects it, then they'll just all queue in the fast lane, and you will be back to the problem of having a very small number of players that go for story/completion. I'd say there are actually very few people that "don't care" what method is used, but within the population of people who prefer to skip you have a majority that wouldn't mind watching the story for one player that hasn't seen the flashpoint before. Second, what is stopping the three people who picked "don't care" from forcing a fast run out of the player that wanted a full run through? Will the game force you to watch all cutscenes and kill every boss somehow? At this point I don't really think there is a good solution they can put in the game, nor is there a need for one as it is not a huge issue and can be resolved for the most part through player communication.

I've done Kaon and D7 a couple dozen times each and have never been able to watch the conversations and cinematics. Even when I am spacebarring people say things like:"spaaaaace baaaar" and "spacebars at the space bar" or "skip or get kicked".

The common argument for acting like this starts with: "I have better things to do..."

The rest of that sentence is: "than actually play the game."

MMO gamers are a fickle lot, especially those who think that somehow they aren't wasting time on the whole by not wasting time on a small part of the game while actually always wasting time because they are playing a video game.

And yes, I realize I'm wasting time saying that.

Most FPs I am in for the Comms at the end, and when I get in the group I usually start with "Hello, Speed run?" and most will say Sure.

I was in a run of T5 and we skipped everyone, and at the last Conversation one of the guys asked why we skipped everything as he needed gear.

with a PUG I tend to state at the beginning what I am expecting from the run, and if someone does need gear or wants to watch, that is fine but please speak up if everyone is saying that they want to skip.

On the other side I have brough guild members through FP when they first turned 50 and I said at the start "He is a new 50 and we are doing a full clear to get gear."

Only a few times have people dropped group because of that, most people stayed.

Edited by Myjediassassin
typos

On the flip side, if 3 people have done this 9001 times, and the only pleasure they can take from it anymore is completing as quickly and efficiently as possible, it's just as rude to demand they comform to you wanting to adding 20 minutes to a single FP, something they may do three of a day.

No it's not. If you don't want to play the game and are just playing Progress Quest, you should reflect on the question of whether you even really like the playing.