Vanguard assault pvp help wanted

Vynstian

So i've gotten back into full assault, and i like it, and i usually hit 400k-500k (depending gotten higher) any who i still feel like i am missing something, sometimes i can really nail a certain class 1v1 other times its meh, i realize that 1v1 shouldn't matter, but sometimes you need to be able to 1v1 to ninja a node and so on, but anyway i do need help on polishing this class, considering this vanguard is my pvp main and probably my only pvp main, i kind of got a pride issue (doesn't anyone) anyway enough rambling, i'm trusting my fellow Tor players for advice, really anything to help me excel in at assault vanguard, just wanting to improve my self and not stagnate. =)

Ill try to help you out without having the skill tree or quick bar in front of me.

Make sure you have spec into the increases to high impact bolt in the lower tiers of other trees.

rotation:

sticky grenade, thermal detonator, ion pulse, high impact bolt, stockstrike. Them primarily using ion pulse and stockstrike to proc high impact bolt and using HIB on cooldown. Mix in other attacks right after using HIB to give ion pulse or stockstrike more spacing to allow the proc that creates the high impact bolt allowance.

always use area attack mortor volley on 3 or more enemies.

Hope it helps a little, nothing groundbreaking.

So i've gotten back into full assault, and i like it, and i usually hit 400k-500k (depending gotten higher) any who i still feel like i am missing something, sometimes i can really nail a certain class 1v1 other times its meh, i realize that 1v1 shouldn't matter, but sometimes you need to be able to 1v1 to ninja a node and so on, but anyway i do need help on polishing this class, considering this vanguard is my pvp main and probably my only pvp main, i kind of got a pride issue (doesn't anyone) anyway enough rambling, i'm trusting my fellow Tor players for advice, really anything to help me excel in at assault vanguard, just wanting to improve my self and not stagnate. =)

The problem with assault is that it depends on HIB for 70% of your DPS and heat management. With a full eliminator set you're looking at a 45% crit on HIB, and no matter what you do there are going to be fights where you hardly get any. Without a crit, HIB is going to do what, 2 or 3K per shot? On top of that you have no defenses to speak of, so you are an extremely easy kill unless you have a pet healer. No amount of skill is going to help you if your crit rolls are bad, and you have no defenses to stay in the fight.

Tactics on the other hand, does more steady damage over time, auto-crits HIB, and has great defenses. You take 30% less from AOE like LOL smash. You take 30% less damage while derp stunned. Energy rebounder makes your shield available more often. Problem is that the spec has no burst, and depends on a three second channel attack that needs a LOT of practice to land in PVP. Seriously, a three stack pulse generator is amazing in PVP if you can land it every time, if you can't it's going to suck and you're going to hate it. This spec is harder to learn and play, but if done right it wins more duels if you have the skill to back it.

There's always the shield spec too, if geared right, you'll win fights because of your huge health pool and ability to heal, shield, and mitigate most attacks that don't crit. You can keep your team alive by throwing guard on squishy DPS or healers. Trooper tank is a really fun spec to play , and does some serious damage for being a spec that isn't a DPS (pulse engine anyone?)

TL;DR RNG sucks for assault, run tactics or tank spec.

Edited by Brunner_Venda

The problem with assault is that it depends on HIB for 70% of your DPS and heat management. With a full eliminator set you're looking at a 45% crit on HIB, and no matter what you do there are going to be fights where you hardly get any. Without a crit, HIB is going to do what, 2 or 3K per shot? On top of that you have no defenses to speak of, so you are an extremely easy kill unless you have a pet healer. No amount of skill is going to help you if your crit rolls are bad, and you have no defenses to stay in the fight.

Tactics on the other hand, does more steady damage over time, auto-crits HIB, and has great defenses. You take 30% less from AOE like LOL smash. You take 30% less damage while derp stunned. Energy rebounder makes your shield available more often. Problem is that the spec has no burst, and depends on a three second channel attack that needs a LOT of practice to land in PVP. Seriously, a three stack pulse generator is amazing in PVP if you can land it every time, if you can't it's going to suck and you're going to hate it. This spec is harder to learn and play, but if done right it wins more duels if you have the skill to back it.

There's always the shield spec too, if geared right, you'll win fights because of your huge health pool and ability to heal, shield, and mitigate most attacks that don't crit. You can keep your team alive by throwing guard on squishy DPS or healers. Trooper tank is a really fun spec to play , and does some serious damage for being a spec that isn't a DPS (pulse engine anyone?)

TL;DR RNG sucks for assault, run tactics or tank spec.

^This.

Assault is in a terrible place right now. Mediocre burst damage. Mediocre sustained damage and no defensive capabilities. As Brunner said, tactics is much better. It has better sustained damage and significantly better survivability. I would argue it also has better burst from pulse generator (but less reliable), especially with increased damage on its critic coming with 2.4 and increased damage on top tier skill. The word is tactics will be pretty powerful in arenas. Still to be seen, but I would highly advice dropping assault in favor of tactics. Even with buffs to defensive skills in 2.4, the assault damage is pathetic.

Despite the bads saying it's terrible, it isn't. Of course, it could use some buffs, and I out damage it on my Marauder and Jugg, but it's fun, and it's still decent. I 90% top damage with my PT in Pyro, only not topping when I get focused a LOT, or if I join late. I play something the 28 Pyro spec (http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMsMMZfhMrzRrcc.3). You'll notice some things you won't like (Higher CD of Kolto Overlord. It's good, despite what people say. The one CD that allows us to win most 1v1s, and some 2v1s) and the CD on Vent Heat, which shouldn't be too much trouble, because we burn heat faster with this build due to only a few abilities being used. So, we want to use:

Flame Burst/ IP: Your main one. Crits between 3k-4k. Procs HIB and CGC. Use this as a filler.

HiB/Rail Shot: Heavy hitter, the burst, and the regen ability. Obviously this is your fav.

Sticky: Not amazing, but use it almost on CD. Does around the same damage as IP/FB, but is AoE.

Inc. Round/Missile: Use it SOMETIMES. If a target has full HP, and you're low on heat, use it. It's damage is overall higher than one flameburst, and is nice synergy because you can use it then hit HiB/Railshot without burning the proc.

Rocket Punch/ Stockstrike: Decent damage, procs Railshot/HiB. Use it when you want, but Flameburst is just as good.

Come 2.4: 36 Pyro will be better, because of the changes to Degauss and Automated Defences. Inc Missile/Round and Stock Strike/ Rocket Punch will be used more.

Rotation wise: Inc Missile/Round, Railshot, Sticky, Rocket Punch, Railshot (If it procs, if not, FB), FB spam.

If you prefer the bursty spec (36 Pyro), same rotation, except:

Inc Missile, Railshot, Sticky, Thermal Det, Rocket Punch, Railshot (Or FB), then FB spam, tying Thermal with Railshot when you can, and stacking DoTs.

Hope this helps. If you REALLY love the class, get Biochem to 450~, get the Reusable stim, and spent some money on Augments. Don't worry about Conqueror. Do ^ this first. If you're taking fire, Shield + WZ Adrenal, and make sure you have Kolto Overload/ Adrenaline Rush ( I think) used when near 30%, but not before.

If you're 1v1ing, use medpacs and stay above 30%, but have Kolto Overload already active on you. That way if they stun lock you, you're good.

And, of course, USE TAUNTS! I see a lot of PTs that DON'T use taunts, and it's annoying. It's free medals, and HUGE help to your team. Make sure to pick out the highest DPS, and taunt his *** off.

Edited by Luckeyduckey

Despite the bads saying it's terrible, it isn't. Of course, it could use some buffs, and I out damage it on my Marauder and Jugg, but it's fun, and it's still decent. I 90% top damage with my PT in Pyro, only not topping when I get focused a LOT, or if I join late.

I top damage in most games I play as dps regardless of the dps spec/class I am playing. But that has nothing to do with the class/spec being "good." It has a lot to do with that majority of the PvP population running like chicken with their head cut-off. Drop assault and go with tactics. Since 2.4 is right around the corner you would not regret it. Better damage and much better survivability.

Edited by Ottoattack

I recommend dropping Assault Plastique, and using this kind of build: BP Oil-Spill Powertech/Vanguard

My friends and I call it that because of the Oil Slick Powertechs get, vs the Gas that Vanguards get.

You give up the (laughable) ''burst'' of assault plastique but pick up 6% more fire dmg to all of your attacks, 3% (9 total) more ion pulse dmg and the ability to use Oil-Slick/Riot Gas. Which can be used either offensively to prevent people from getting away from you, or defensively to hi-tail it out of a dangerous situation.

This build lets you focus more on ion-pulse and HIBing, and less worrying about trying to get in your assault plastique ''big burst''. Once 2.4 comes out, and the changes are made to powertech/vanguard assault specs, this BP build won't be as vaible. As the boxes you leave out at the top of the assault tree are much better with 2.4.

But give it a shot before arenas come, you might enjoy it.