Should Jawas Be Playable?

Grinzx

Let me get this out first, I love Jawas. I've always wanted a pet Jawa or a companion for one (Sadly I am not a BH)

The Bigger Question is this :: When is the Jawa race going to become playable

I for one love Jawas, and have always thought they would be a fun race to play. However I have not found a game that allows you to play as a Jawa (I may be mistaken there is probably one stray cartridge game that allows you that pleasure) Nonetheless this thread is for Jawa lovers and enthusiasts

Here are some reasons why Jawas COULD be a playable race.

1: Tatooine Storyline :: Openings for JK/Consular or SW/IQ (No matter how silly that seems It is definitely possible as in the origin quest line for the Consular (Exclusive If I'm not mistaken)) You decide if a Flesh Raider can join the Jedi Order or not since it Is Force Sensitive. (The Story line for the Flesh Raider ends after you make your decision) This does leave open the door that if the race is force sensitive there is a chance.

2: If It has a gun it will shoot it :: From the BH Companion to simple mobs in Tatooine you see that the Jawas are completely viable with a gun leaving openings to the BH/IA and Smuggler/Trooper Story lines (No matter how ridiculous it may seem for a Jawa to have that sort of story line and I am also guessing the armor adaptation would look Alien to us at first but I'm for it)

3: The Cloaks Can Go :: Even if they are as to be a described a "Rat Like" race of people (Hence why they wear there cloaks not only for sun and sand protection but to cover the face) I have faith in Bioware to make them look presentable to the community.

Leave your Jawa Love or Criticism below!

Edited by Grinzx

They should be playable! since i first heard of this game, I've always wanted to be a jawa. before they even announced the classes i pictured myself being a sith sorcerer shooting lightning everywhere that was a jawa. just think of an evil jawa sith! if bioware did it right they wouldn't all have to be cute. some could be evil and scary sith, and some could be epic looking jedi. please bioware!!!!! Give us the Jawa's we deserve!!!!!!!!:jawa_tongue::jawa_mad::jawa_evil::jawa_eek::jawa_confused::jawa_wink::jawa_angel::jawa_biggrin::jawa_cool::jawa_redface::jawa_frown::jawa_smile:

Cloak and hood stays. Jawas must forever be shrouded in mystery.

However, seeing a Jawa let loose with a blaster pistol on Tatooine was pretty much one of the greatest moments of my SWTOR career, so yes, please let me go be a Jawa smuggler or bounty hunter! Or Inquisitor. Good Lord, I would pay to be a Jawa Inquisitor.

It will never happen...

Jawas are secretly the lost "Yoda" race. and I think that I read somewhere that Lucas said that outside of the very few games you could, "Yodas" will never be a playable race

I have no idea where you heard that, but the only thing Jawas and Yoda have in common is height. I'm not even sure ears that big would fit in their hoods.

If Jawa's were playable, there would have to be class restictions. That would cause a lot of complaining, but there are good reasons:

Consular/Inquisitor - Yes, there are Jawa's that can use the Force. Size doesn't matter for using their force powers. (So only Sorcerer/Sage AC would work, I think.)

Knight/Warrior - No. A Jawa's body isn't suited for their melee moves. It would look ridiculous and make no sense (strength as main attribute).

Smuggler - yes, no problem. suits a Jawa well.

Bounty Hunter - Yes. If he is good at what he does, he will get offers. But the other Bounty Hunters would laugh at him.

Trooper - Probably not. It would be very difficult for a Jawa to fit into a republic military unit.

Imperial Agent - No, the Sith empire is far too racist to accept a Jawa there. Even human like aliens have it difficult there. Jawa or Evocii are far to alien for this Empire.

Also, romance would have to be locked. Kissing animations wouldn't work and it would be ridiculous.

But Jawa's will probably never come. If the do some of the more alien aliens I would prefer Kel-Dor, Gand, Wookies and Trandoshans.

Also, romance would have to be locked. Kissing animations wouldn't work and it would be ridiculous.

Noooooooooooooooo....just don't do the kissing animation.

If they added Jawas I'd actually do a romance...a female JK Jawa and Doc...yes.

Edited by stuffystuffs

It will never happen...

Jawas are secretly the lost "Yoda" race. and I think that I read somewhere that Lucas said that outside of the very few games you could, "Yodas" will never be a playable race

While it's true that George Lucas highly discourages authors from using Yoda or Yoda's species character in their books(sometimes to the point of actually killing the project or forcing a rewrite), will not allow the species to be named or expanded upon in terms of their culture,population,society,home planet etc and it takes a lot of wheeling and dealing to get a NPC Yoda species character in your SW game as a licensee let alone the Herculean effort it would take to have a playable Yoda's species, the part about Yoda's species and Jawas being related is absolutely false. I'm hoping that was some kind of joke that didn't translate well in written form.

As for the OP and others wanting Jawas as playable species in TOR, while you are entitled to your opinion, no thanks do not want.

Jawas are better left as companions in a game like TOR due to the romances,inability to speak Basic, believability in them being certain classes and ACs(a Jawa Lolsmash Rage Jugg!?!?),and lore(yes some Jawa can use the Force to a degree and they serve as their clan's shaman, I'm not aware of any Jawa in canon that is powerful enough to wield the Force like a JC,JK,SI and SW )

EDIT : Ok, there is a Force using Jawa in a Imperial questline on Tatooine. But according to how SW canon works all that is official is that some Imp officers think the Jawa can use the Force and some don't and they send the player to investigate, the Jawa in question does have sustained JC abilities but game mechanics do not equal canon.

Edited by Temeluchus

Two Jedi are standing guard on Taris. They see a small shape moving towards a group of Republic soldiers and are just about to call out a warning when they see a red lightsaber blade appear and the soldiers go down very quickly as the little Sith Lord shreds them.

Jedi #1: Is that a..... Jawa?!?!?!

Jedi #2: With a LIGHTSABER???

Jedi #1: We are so screwed. :eek:

I believe that Jawas would be able to learn Basic and wield the same powers a JC/JK or a SW/SI

It never states that a SW/SI or JC/JK has to be pure brute strength, alot of the philosophy even with the Dark Side is about Emotion or the lack of it. As for romance I agree there would be a problem but I would be fine without any kissing scenes since alot of the "Sexual" stuff is cut out through a black screen anyway.

For IA/ or RT There would be some problems sure, but there is a reason why some races are restricted from certain classes unless you use the Legacy Feature to your benefit.

Edited by Grinzx

I believe that Jawas would be able to learn Basic and wield the same powers a JC/JK or a SW/SI

It never states that a SW/SI or JC/JK has to be pure brute strength, alot of the philosophy even with the Dark Side is about Emotion or the lack of it. As for romance I agree there would be a problem but I would be fine without any kissing scenes since alot of the "Sexual" stuff is cut out through a black screen anyway.

For IA/ or RT There would be some problems sure, but there is a reason why some races are restricted from certain classes unless you use the Legacy Feature to your benefit.

But strenght is their primary attribute. And in a melee fight, size does matter. Yoda has to jump around all the time to make up for his size. So for a Jawa who really fights with his lightsaber you would have to remake the animations for almost all attacks. Would be nice, but won't happen.

And romance... I can't take Kira calling a Jawa "Tough Guy" serious. Jawa romances would be comedy, nothing more.

Edited by Maaruin

While it's true that George Lucas highly discourages authors from using Yoda or Yoda's species character in their books(sometimes to the point of actually killing the project or forcing a rewrite), will not allow the species to be named or expanded upon in terms of their culture,population,society,home planet etc and it takes a lot of wheeling and dealing to get a NPC Yoda species character in your SW game as a licensee let alone the Herculean effort it would take to have a playable Yoda's species, the part about Yoda's species and Jawas being related is absolutely false. I'm hoping that was some kind of joke that didn't translate well in written form.

As for the OP and others wanting Jawas as playable species in TOR, while you are entitled to your opinion, no thanks do not want.

Jawas are better left as companions in a game like TOR due to the romances,inability to speak Basic, believability in them being certain classes and ACs(a Jawa Lolsmash Rage Jugg!?!?),and lore(yes some Jawa can use the Force to a degree and they serve as their clan's shaman, I'm not aware of any Jawa in canon that is powerful enough to wield the Force like a JC,JK,SI and SW )

EDIT : Ok, there is a Force using Jawa in a Imperial questline on Tatooine. But according to how SW canon works all that is official is that some Imp officers think the Jawa can use the Force and some don't and they send the player to investigate, the Jawa in question does have sustained JC abilities but game mechanics do not equal canon.

Thank You... the slight sarcastic joke i said about Jawas and Yoda, was not wasted... BUT... the comment about the ears not fitting in the hood, maybe they are pinned back... :p

But strenght is their primary attribute. And in a melee fight, size does matter. Yoda has to jump around all the time to make up for his size. So for a Jawa who really fights with his lightsaber you would have to remake the animations for almost all attacks. Would be nice, but won't happen.

And romance... I can't take Kira calling a Jawa "Tough Guy" serious. Jawa romances would be comedy, nothing more.

Developing animations for every race is not unobtainable Guild Wars 2 and WoW have no trouble adapting animations for a certain race. Now its not saying that because WoW had this SWTOR should too, its giving some examples of other developers that have done wonderful animations for each race. I would have to disagree that strength matters when it comes to the lore of a Jedi or Sith, what really stands out is pure emotion. So for a Sith the more Hate, Anger, Sorrow he/she feels the stronger the force in them. (At least that is the way it goes in the Star Wars Universe) Same for a Jedi with Peace, Tranquility, Justice (To a point)

When Yoda fights, the philosophy of the Jedi is that the force flows through the Jedi allowing enhancement of Strength/Agility/Awareness it states nowhere that you have to be a certain size or strength in any Force Teaching (Unless you count the Racism against them by the Empire, but really the SI story line is about being a slave and going to the top no matter how you are viewed. This can apply to Jawas)

And if you dont want to be a Jawa on your BH because the race doesn't feel right? Do not use it then, I get it completely I myself do not want my Sith Warrior any other race than a Sith Pureblood, same with a Jedi I wouldnt want anything other than human. Its all about personal preference.

Developing animations for every race is not unobtainable Guild Wars 2 and WoW have no trouble adapting animations for a certain race. Now its not saying that because WoW had this SWTOR should too, its giving some examples of other developers that have done wonderful animations for each race. I would have to disagree that strength matters when it comes to the lore of a Jedi or Sith, what really stands out is pure emotion. So for a Sith the more Hate, Anger, Sorrow he/she feels the stronger the force in them. (At least that is the way it goes in the Star Wars Universe) Same for a Jedi with Peace, Tranquility, Justice (To a point)

When Yoda fights, the philosophy of the Jedi is that the force flows through the Jedi allowing enhancement of Strength/Agility/Awareness it states nowhere that you have to be a certain size or strength in any Force Teaching (Unless you count the Racism against them by the Empire, but really the SI story line is about being a slave and going to the top no matter how you are viewed. This can apply to Jawas)

I was speaking about game mechanics. Strength is the primary attribute for Warriors and knights. (Together with endurence, if you want to tank.)

Lorewise a Jawa Jedi Knight would be possible if he jumps around alot. But developing new animation would take much effort and I'd rather see it invested into other species which are more than comic relief.

And if you dont want to be a Jawa on your BH because the race doesn't feel right? Do not use it then, I get it completely I myself do not want my Sith Warrior any other race than a Sith Pureblood, same with a Jedi I wouldnt want anything other than human. Its all about personal preference.

Yeah, but the NPC Bounty Hunters should laugh at the Jawa Bounty Hunter. New voice overs = even more effort.

Jawa means you will have to invest much and wil get little out of it. (No one will make his decision if he wants to continue with this game only because of playable Jawa's.)