The ME3 debacle and BioWare fan loyalty...

CazNeerg

Unless they want to see a fairly substantial drop in subscriptions, BioWare: Austin needs to exert pressure on the other branches of their company to fix the mess they made of the ending in ME3. I love TOR. I planned to play it for years. I currently have a six month subscription. But I cannot in good conscience continue to support a company financially that broke explicit promises to it's fans in a way that ruined a saga five years in the making, in a manner which not only betrayed the community, but the integrity of the saga itself.

If the problem is not corrected, or at the very least a sincere seeming apology from those responsible issued, I will not be renewing my subscription to TOR when the time I have already paid for runs out. If the social.bioware.com forums are any indication, there are many who feel the same way, or have already cancelled.

To any others here who are fans of both games, I hope you are expressing your discontent to both BioWare teams in whatever manner you feel is most appropriate. I for one would prefer not to stop playing this excellent game, but I cannot financially reward a company that refuses to own up to it's mistakes.

And for the record, "We're sorry you feel that way" would not be a sincere seeming apology. It needs to be an actual acknowledgment that they screwed up.

Huh? My husband just got ME3 and is enjoying it and TOR. What are you talking about because I am confused.

I don't want to spoil it, because most of the game is truly the best I have ever played, not only from BioWare, but from any developer. But if your husband is the emotional type, and is deeply invested in the series, make sure there is nothing breakable nearby when he reaches the end. Sentiment, everywhere that it is mentioned on the internet, is running very negative about the ending, to the tune of 85-90% support for asking BioWare to change it, from those who are expressing any opinion at all.

I don't want to spoil it, because most of the game is truly the best I have ever played, not only from BioWare, but from any developer. But if your husband is the emotional type, and is deeply invested in the series, make sure there is nothing breakable nearby when he reaches the end. Sentiment, everywhere that it is mentioned on the internet, is running very negative about the ending, to the tune of 85-90% support for asking BioWare to change it, from those who are expressing any opinion at all.

Ah, I can only guess it has something to do with Shepard at the end.

Ah, I can only guess it has something to do with Shepard at the end.

Not in the way that you would think, but partly. There is too much wrong with it to explain briefly, and all of it is impossible to explain *clearly* without spoilers.

Suffice it to say, the last five minutes feel like they are torn from a different story, in an entirely different genre, with a tone and themes inconsistent with everything that has come before, which blatantly contradict other story elements that you had played through just a couple hours before, and feature more than one character acting in a manner completely inconsistent with any prior presentation of who those characters are. And to top it all off, there is pretty much zero closure provided, you are left with more questions than answers.

I was a little confused and angry with the ME 3 ending until I started reading the "Indoctrination" theory and revisited the ending with the idea that the last ten minutes were all internalized. Along with the "correct" final choice it sets the pace for a Mass Effect 3 expansion or Mass Effect 4.

I was a little confused and angry with the ME 3 ending until I started reading the "Indoctrination" theory and revisited the ending with the idea that the last ten minutes were all internalized. Along with the "correct" final choice it sets the pace for a Mass Effect 3 expansion or Mass Effect 4.

The problem there is that an app just came out for the iPad which includes "behind the scenes" quotes from developers which, if taken at face value, indicate that the endings were implemented exactly as planned, and are complete as they are. When it was revealed on social.bioware.com, the entire storyline discussion forum exploded and the mods locked it down completely for almost an hour.

I just checked. This isn't social.bioware.com or Facebook.

Let me check again.

Nope.

Also if you think bioware Austin has any influence on what the rest of bioware does, you should l2coporation command structures.

Edited by Antipathize

30,000 people "like" the Retake Mass Effect page. There's probably a lot of fabricated likes in there, but let's just say there isn't. Mass Effect 3 shipped 3.5 million copies in the first week.

That's 1%.

I really don't think any more needs to be said.

I just checked. This isn't social.bioware.com or Facebook.

Let me check again.

Nope.

Right. Because discussing the possible impact of one BioWare product on subscriptions to this BioWare product is sooooo off topic... :rolleyes:

Right. Because discussing the possible impact of one BioWare product on subscriptions to this BioWare product is sooooo off topic... :rolleyes:

Sounded more like you are boycotting this game because you don't like how another game turned out. Then you want other people to join your happy little bandwagon. Unless bioware austin writers also wrote the ending of me3, stop acting like bioware ate your puppy. If subscriptions here go down, it's because of inferior work, not because another type of space game sucked.

30,000 people "like" the Retake Mass Effect page. There's probably a lot of fabricated likes in there, but let's just say there isn't. Mass Effect 3 shipped 3.5 million copies in the first week.

That's 1%.

But strangely, the people who like the game can't be bothered to post? Think it through and maybe study stats while you're at it. The reason sampling is done is that you can never get the full population of anything to respond. Right now, with the numbers available, roughly 90% of all people who have posted about this have expressed extreme discontent with the ending. If BW wants to set up a valid (as opposed to yours) numbers argument about this they need to set up a poll and encourage everyone who bought ME3 to vote.

FUnny no one rage quit wow over the rainbows that would of been in Diablo 3 nor did they rage quit over the cash shop style implimentation or the terrible online activity at all times idea. Hell no one rage quit over the fact Starcraft 2 was completely ridiculous and the storylines will end up costing you 50 dollars a peice per race if you want the entire game. I mean Blizz just blatanty ripped you off with Starcraft 2 and no one went OMG / RAGE QUIT ALL BLIZZ games.

Rage quitters always find a reason to rage quit. Next it'll be because the actually do make a mass effect 4.

Edited by Kindara

That's 1%.

The game has barely been out a week. Within three days of release 40,000 people had come to the official forums to say they hated the end and wanted a new one. They raised $50,000 for charity in less than two days to draw attention to how strongly they feel about it. 40k is probably a substantially higher percentage of people who have actually finished the game, just guessing there. And you can't ever know the opinions of people who don't express them. What we know is that roughly 9 out of every 10 people who express an opinion think the ending ruined the franchise.

Sounded more like you are boycotting this game because you don't like how another game turned out. Then you want other people to join your happy little bandwagon. Unless bioware austin writers also wrote the ending of me3, stop acting like bioware ate your puppy. If subscriptions here go down, it's because of inferior work, not because another type of space game sucked.

What are you basing these assumptions on? I'm not saying anyone who disagrees should side with me. I'm saying if you agree, speak up. And you are incorrect on subs. Unless people are blatantly lying, I've seen literally dozens of people claiming they are cancelling/have cancelled, and specifically citing ME3 as the reason why. I have seen even more people who are not personally cancelling, but claim that their guilds have been decimated in TOR by others who have.

But strangely, the people who like the game can't be bothered to post? Think it through and maybe study stats while you're at it. The reason sampling is done is that you can never get the full population of anything to respond. Right now, with the numbers available, roughly 90% of all people who have posted about this have expressed extreme discontent with the ending. If BW wants to set up a valid (as opposed to yours) numbers argument about this they need to set up a poll and encourage everyone who bought ME3 to vote.

Thing is, the largest poll on the issue is on the site where they do such polls, and despite being a fan created poll, it has five times as many votes as the most voted official BioWare poll, despite that poll having been up for two years.

I have studied "stats," and you are completely and utterly incorrect. My numbers are the only objective numbers that can possibly exist: the ratio of those who feel slighted enough by the ending to seek out and sign an internet petition vs. the entire set of Mass Effect 3 consumers. This is also called a "percentage."

Your numbers are made up, and any attempt at any sort of poll falls victim to a human element and subjectivity. At that point you're getting too deep into Social Sciences, and who really wants to waste their time with that hogwash?

the lead writer of Mass Effect 3 is Mac Walters, who previously wrote on other games in the Mass Effect series as well as Jade Empire.[58]
-wiki

Blame that guy. Man, if someone **** in your sandwich at subway, would you blame all subways, or that specific franchise, and more importantly, who would you demand be fired?

This idiocy is making me sick. Email/post in the right place, otherwise your opinions are getting pissed away into the wind.

As for others quitting for the boycott, I say good riddance to the mouth breathers. This game has plent of flaws to quit over, but this? Really.

while this may be over dramatic, i agree 100%. bioware seriously pulled a fast one on their loyal fans. bioware just doesn't understand that some people played mass effect since day 1 and loved it since that day. that's like 8 years of time, and then to have that investment crushed with sheer EA/bioware laziness, well, it's the last straw for many.

it's really amazing because the core of mass effect 3 is so brilliant, but then you guys just gave up, or whatever. the ending is the absolute worst ending i have ever encountered in my entire life, and to have it occur in my favorite story was just crushing.

i always said that mass effect 3 would be bioware's redemption or failure, especially with regards to the failure that is dragon age 2.

when you people release your DLC fix, if you even do it, and then charge for it, that will be the end for people like me. your company will still flourish, but that's because most people are a few parts short of a droid.

its not the ME3 gameplay that has people up in arms its the way the saga comes to an end (i am not going to ruin it) but i will say that the game is bloody brilliant until the disappointment in the ending.

This is true. Until the end, it's an absolutely awesome game. There were a couple of times where I stepped back and took deep breaths and reminded myself it was just a game lol. The plot has the capacity to be that moving. And then they totally f**k up the end game.

I have studied "stats," and you are completely and utterly incorrect. My numbers are the only objective numbers that can possibly exist: the ratio of those who feel slighted enough by the ending to seek out and sign an internet petition vs. the entire set of Mass Effect 3 consumers. This is also called a "percentage."

Your numbers are made up, and any attempt at any sort of poll falls victim to a human element and subjectivity. At that point you're getting too deep into Social Sciences, and who really wants to waste their time with that hogwash?

Bzzzzzt wrong. If you want to track who likes vs. who dislikes a game you need to ask them. Stats goes well beyond percentages, especially to determine a correlation. Perhaps the problem is you need to study both stats and research design.

Bzzzzzt wrong. If you want to track who likes vs. who dislikes a game you need to ask them. Stats goes well beyond percentages, especially to determine a correlation. Perhaps the problem is you need to study both stats and research design.

Yes but how many of these people are asked? There is a big difference between someone actively seeking numbers for a poll or statistic, and a customer complaint. People will go out of their way to make a complaint.

Unless there are random samplings of opinions from ME3 owners, and with a large enough pool, the numbers will be skewed by whiners going to a website for the specific purpose of bashing the game.

This is true. Until the end, it's an absolutely awesome game. There were a couple of times where I stepped back and took deep breaths and reminded myself it was just a game lol. The plot has the capacity to be that moving. And then they totally f**k up the end game.

Yeah, I keep trying to play TOR, but I can't manage more than an hour at a time because I am thinking about how, while TOR is great, I'd rather be replaying ME3, but then when I try to boot up ME3 I just can't, because the fundamentally nonsensical and nihilistic ending is clouding the back of my mind. Then I hit the internet to see if there is any news of a fix yet. That is how much the ending has messed with a lot of people, they not only can't keep playing that game, they can't (yet, though obviously it will pass) manage to focus on any game. It's just that bad.

Wait a second...am I being punked? Ashton, you conniving trickster! You almost had me for a second there. Good one. Now we can get back to discussing actually true things, like:

People will go out of their way to make a complaint.

Yes but how many of these people are asked? There is a big difference between someone actively seeking numbers for a poll or statistic, and a customer complaint. People will go out of their way to make a complaint.

Unless there are random samplings of opinions from ME3 owners, and with a large enough pool, the numbers will be skewed by whiners going to a website for the specific purpose of bashing the game.

Which would be why I said BW needs to set up a poll and ask people if they want to make a numbers argument.