HK-51 seems pointless don't see the hype.

gabarooni

The way the game is set up it seems pretty pointless to use a dps companion I only ever use Healers and I guess if I ever rolled a healer I might use a Tank. So what is the hype with the HK-51? Seems to me its just gonna be another useless companion collecting dust unless they made the game more like Kotor and you could have 2 companions.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way the game is set up it seems pretty pointless to use a dps companion I only ever use Healers and I guess if I ever rolled a healer I might use a Tank. So what is the hype with the HK-51? Seems to me its just gonna be another useless companion collecting dust unless they made the game more like Kotor and you could have 2 companions.

You don't need a tank nor a healer for any of the single content. I only use DPS companions. And I spec as DPS too, when I play solo. Kill them and kill them fast: they can't kill you when they're dead!

HK-51 is pointless (which er .. is the point). You don't "need" to get him if you don't want. It's a "bone" tossed to KoTOR Fans. If you are not a KoTOR fan this is why you may not "get it". Don't worry. You don't have to get him to have fun. Just ignore the quest if it's not to your liking. :cool:

Did you play KOTOR 1? Then you know why everybody loves him.

You can easily have him out when youre doing daily quests. He probably can tank aswell.

To be fair, DPS companions are fine to blow through easy content faster, or when 2manning with somebody else and healer/tank is already covered.

That being said, since every class already gets both ranged and melee DPS, he'd be pointless regardless. As said, he's basically just a bone thrown towards the KOTOR players that liked HK-47 (personally, I thought he was just annoying)

What two people above said, HK-51 is for the KOTOR fans, of which I am not one but that doesn't mean I won't get HK-51. Also, people use different companions, that's the beauty of having choices. My Immortal Juggernaut uses Jaesa. My Arsenal Merc uses Mako the most but sometimes uses Torian. My Engineering Sniper uses Temple or Vector. My Tactics Vanguard uses either Jorgan or Vik. My Sentinel uses Lord Scourge (melee tank) but that's a personal preference because I really like Lord Scourge. My Infiltration Shadow uses Qyzen (melee tank) most often but I sometimes play with Nadia. My Marauder uses either Vette or Jaesa. My Lightning Inquisitor uses either Revel, Xalek, or Zavros depending on my mood, Revel and Xalek the most.

As you can see, my preference is usually for DPS but that's my personal preference. There is no right or wrong when it comes to the companions as long as you can complete whatever content you are doing. So while HK-51 may be 'pointless' to you, he won't be to everyone.

getting him is new content that one can do, having him is for me its own reward, not sure if I will actually use him that much. Pointless? Maybe, but we are talking about a game here, so basically everything you do and have here is to a certain degree pointless.

He's also, from what I heard, going to get bonuses for most if not all crew missions and crafting (of course, I can't remember where I read that so, please, hearsay), which would be useful game mechanicwise for some of us, if nothing else.

Remember, companions are not just about what they can do for you in combat. Sometimes people just like them because of their personalities and stories. I know that's why I pick my companions.

I'll take the increased challenge of working with a companion that doesn't perfectly compliment my advanced class if I think his/her personality is more fitting for the character I am playing.

:cool:

It is not pointless for KOTOR fans. It is fluff however which is not a bad thing. I'm looking forward to plenty of "meat bag" related quips and voice overs. I'm grinning just thinking about it.

As for HK 51's class type. I really don't care. I've learned to play them all. I maxed out affection on all my companions and that included playing substantially with each one of them. They have their quirks. While some content is easier with a particular companion of a particular class, all content is doable no matter which companion you choose. That's assuming you have geared them properly, of course.

i agree for tough fights i use healers but imagine a robot that snipes people uses a flame thrower (if you ever did the foundry you probably get what i mean) and i be nice i they aded a healer aspect

I would love something different than the robot... A list of 4 companions for all tastes to choose from and between.. 2 for republic and 2 for imperials, but only 1 ends up with... u? Thats a better content based "companion theme" for me :) ... instead to be forced have specifics as companions.

since we get a 7th companion though, it would be nice if the missions increase by 1 as well.. so overal 6 missions at the same time.

but I dont want to be very harsh with BIO on that... They impemented it good.. I mean, I always ask to do stuff and get my reward.. not to collect tokens!! so the missions with hk robot, to collect parts and activate it, is a really good idea.

Edited by Oyranos

Hopefully, one of his unique combat skills will be:

Kill_Ship_Droid_Companion

along with

Blow_The_Parts_Out_The_Airlock.

:p

Well, I'm hoping for Jumper_High_Impact_Bolt ! So he can take pop shots at players that seemingly have ants in their pants... The fleet would be a whole new world. lol

If you use DPS companion you kill enemies faster and with healer companion "accidents" are much more unlikely, but it takes longer to kill enemies. I use both types.

If its pointless for you doesn't make it universal rule.

Hopefully, one of his unique combat skills will be:

Kill_Ship_Droid_Companion

along with

Blow_The_Parts_Out_The_Airlock.

:p

^ This. I'd rather have an HK talking snarky smack to me when I come aboard than the default ship droid telling me that the toilet bowl now smells of Alderaanian nectar.

Perhaps he's pointless shiny fluff, but I still had KOTOR flashbacks and peed myself when i watched the HK-51 intro vid. :rak_04: