Gearing for PVP sucks!

GeneralSeni

Remember the old days when PVP was simple and fun to gear? I do!

Gearing for PVP allowed new players to jump back in and gain some quick PVP gear to fight other players and enjoy having an all-out brawl....!

But now to obtain this gear you're forced to grind bosses or do missions that PVP players hate! Now, this is not to say that PVE players suck. Hell NO! This is simply saying don't force PVP and PVE into the same gearing system as it turns some players off.

Like all things having PVE gear separately allows PVE players to have the much stronger gear and deal more damage to mobs whilst PVP allows players to do more damage to players and add extra content to for both sides if one becomes bored with the other!

When PVP players wanna change of scenery they start working on gaining PVE gear and same with PVE players becoming bored allowing them to grind PVP by doing Warzones.

Now I understand a lot of players are going to be saying there is nothing wrong with the gearing system. WRONG!!! The moment you make PVE gear the only source of gaining gear players leave and other players are forced to grind PVE and not play PVP as much which now you'll tell me there is a system that boosts gear in Warzones. True but that doesn't boost out of warzones in place people enjoy also fighting and whilst there is a slight boost it's no end game gear that many PVE players will obtain whilst PVP players struggle to do because they enjoy PVP'ing more than committing endless hours to fight Mobs or bosses.

IDK Maybe SWTOR will improve or maybe it won't but I do pray they bring back the old gearing system for PVP.:rak_03:

Hey m8.

Pls explain exactly what gearing you want, because thare have been at least 10 different since launch.

90% of Player Base agrees that:

A General Random Gear Rewards System = Cancer

PvE > PvP and PvP > PvE = Cancer

Game Devs. implement systems that violate the above and get thrashed because they are apparently only interessted in Cash Cows and Short Term Money.

You don't need 4 sets of gear. If anything I believe PVP gear should be targeted on the system that doing Warzone allows a currency that allows you to buy Stage 1 PVP gear and then you're required to have that currency and the stage 1 PVP gear to buy end game PVP gear. like it uses to be and (Whatever role you play your gear changes to that selected role like Tank, DPS, HEALS) for that purpose meaning it's simple and effective like it uses to be. Whilst allowing PVE Gear to be gained through Bosses or Events but also having the same gear adapts to the role of the player being TANK/DPS/HEALER. Though of course the only problem then is Augments which really can be swapped out as most players normally select 1 role and stick with it 90% of the time.

Allow PVP players to earn gear doing what they love which is PVP only. And PVE through PVE events or Bosses like they enjoy. Having 2 sets of gear 1 for PVE and 1 for PVP is fine and add a loadout build for SWTOR so characters can equip that gear in those two different load-outs and swap between them if they choose by a click of the button on their character screen. As a PVP Player, I hate the fact that I can only go so far doing PVP to get gear and then have to be forced to grind mobs and do the mission that takes away from my enjoyment of the game which is Warzones to gain even better gear.

There is an old saying that sometimes simple is better. In this case, keep the two different play styles separate. ATM going through Unassembled components to buy Stage 2 Unassembled MK-15 than Stage 2 MK-15 gear then Unassembled components Stage 3 Unassembled MK-15 than Stage 3 MK-15 gear then Unassembled components Stage 4 Unassembled MK-15 than Stage 4 MK-15 gear to go to MK-5 gear to repeat this is a pain and it only gets you to 248 gear rating through PVP with earning crates which take to long and then your forced to do PVE and mission to gain gear which becomes a huge cluster which is very misleading to new players and returning players.

Where is doing it through gaining (Warzone Tokens) Then buy Stage 1 PVP Gear followed by (Warzone Token and Stage 1 Gear) To buy end game PVP gear is better.

And have PVE Gear with the MK-15 and MK-5 stuff doing missions and earned unassembled Components through crates and mission to gear up to finally vs bosses earn the end game PVE gear with bosses.

Why does PVP get a change of scenery? Because this hole gearing system is evolved around PVE and that's what kills it for players who enjoy the only PVP. PVE is Pact with a lot of great stuff to occupy PVE players and allows a change of scenery if PVE players want to earn different gear through PVP combat and the same for PVP players who want a change from doing PVP to earn gear through PVE.

It's like trying to combine two elements together like Fire and ICE... Combining them both either destroys the other or ruins it for both but either way only 1 side gets the upper hand.:rak_03:

But by having the two play styles separate it creates two different environments for people who enjoy different game styles and allows more content if players decided I've geared this character fully in PVP and can do PVP whenever I want now I'll start working on my PVE gear or the other way around.

Also, it's a known fact that most games that make PVP and PVE one and the same have normally had massive player base drops.

Edited by GeneralSeni

when 6.0 hits, theoretically all we'll need to do is balance our secondary stats properly (basically augment properly and possibly swap a couple enhancements). that's if bolster works the way it supposed to (make everything the top tier version of itself).

I fully expect there to be bolster issues (there always are), but I think bolstering everyone to the same top tier is absolutely the right way to go for instanced pvp. The real trick is how quick BW will be to address bolster glitches and such (like the DvL gear thing). That's also why we need at least a solid month between seasons at the start of the xpack. it takes time to figure out what and where in the code the problem is once the problem itself has been identified, and that's not even a balance issue.

Whilst Bolstering all players in PVP is fine it takes away the progression to gain gear the fun way. There still has to be something to gain from PVP'ing. Having the ability to grind PVP to gain 2 or 3 pieces of gear a day is what made it fun to grind in Warzones then once u had a set to then grind the last set of endgame PVP Gear taking you about nearly 2 weeks to fully gear up and then you would do it on all 12 of your characters which gave you over 150+ days of pure chaotic PVP to gain gear which for a lot of people makes it enjoyable fighting for the win to earn the Extra Warzone credits to gain that sweet piece of endgame PVP gear and then spending the next bunch Days fighting others with the gear you fought other players to obtain.

There needs to be some reward system out of it as well otherwise whilst it's super fun to combat other players in endgame gear there is no sense of having a proper competitive need to win which is what made it frustrating but also extremely enjoyable.:rak_03:

At the end of the day, you want gear that is for PVP only and that has set bonuses and all the fun things like it did in SWTOR so long ago.

Edited by GeneralSeni

Whilst Bolstering all players in PVP is fine it takes away the progression to gain gear the fun way. There still has to be something to gain from PVP'ing.

not gear. hard no on gear. I agree with you that there should be something to play for beyond the "joy" of pvping, but it should be cosmetic. there used to be a WZ comms vendor on fleet. I remember buying a sick stap(?) ride. iunno what it's called, but it was something the droid soldiers used in the prequels. there was other stuff (including WZ adrenals) that you could only buy with WZ comms. that, imo, is fine. but they absolutely should not gate pvp gear.

I would like to see return of the mods vendors (although I'm not sure how that works with 6.0 gear). it's complete arse that we have to buy (i.e.) a heal set of gloves and boots just so we can swap out the acc enh for crit. but even that doesn't need to be gated behind WZ comms. It should just be a trade in: one mod/enh of the same ilvl for another, possibly with a credit charge accompanying the transaction. zero reason to require specially acquired WZ comms for gear.

Edited by foxmob

not gear. hard no on gear.

It would have to be gear like the old days + The gearing its self would be 100x simplified like it uses to be. Do Warzones with Warzone Quests and fighting in warzones to obtain (WZ Credits) Which then you can buy Stage 1 Pvp Gear which then allows you to buy end game PVP gear. No Stage 2 and 3 and 4 like the MK-15 stuff and MK-5 just basic and simple.

It allows the Expertise the chance to be brought back and gives the PVP tab meaning again. Whilst PVP players hate being forced to do missions and bosses they also hate not having a goal to work towards making the PVP all that more sweeter. That's not to say the winning team gets credits whilst the other doesn't get any. It's adding a bonus credit for the winning team and sure a crate drop with one cosmetic piece in it giving players that much more of a desire needs to win.

It's allowing new players something to strive towards with gear and the possibility of having as you mentioned a cosmetic drop for winning team as a bonus reward.

Because outside of Warzone their gear is back to basics stats like normal with no PVP capabilities so you're then forcing PVP players to fight only in Warzones instead of allowing players to equip and gear in warzones then fight n warzones or out and about in PVP locations across the SWTOR Universe otherwise what's the point of having PVP outside of Warzones?:rak_04:

Edited by GeneralSeni

It would have to be gear like the old days + The gearing its self would be 100x simplified like it uses to be. Do Warzones with Warzone Quests and fighting in warzones to obtain (WZ Credits) Which then you can buy Stage 1 Pvp Gear which then allows you to buy end game PVP gear. No Stage 2 and 3 and 4 like the MK-15 stuff and MK-5 just basic and simple.

It allows the Expertise the chance to be brought back and gives the PVP tab meaning again. Whilst PVP players hate being forced to do missions and bosses they also hate not having a goal to work towards making the PVP all that more sweeter. That's not to say the winning team gets credits whilst the other doesn't get any. It's adding a bonus credit for the winning team and sure a crate drop with one cosmetic piece in it giving players that much more of a desire needs to win.

It's allowing new players something to strive towards with gear and the possibility of having as you mentioned a cosmetic drop for winning team as a bonus reward.

Because outside of Warzone their gear is back to basics stats like normal with no PVP capabilities so you're then forcing PVP players to fight only in Warzones instead of allowing players to equip and gear in warzones then fight n warzones or out and about in PVP locations across the SWTOR Universe otherwise what's the point of having PVP outside of Warzones?:rak_04:

This will all change apparently in 6.0

Without going into all the details, this is some of what’s changing.,

You will be able to obtain all items in the game by “playing your way” (according to Bioware). There maybe some faster ways to get certain things, but everything will be obtainable eventually. You will not be forced to play Operations or pvp or flash points or even story if you want gear to BiS. Unlike now where you can only get 258 gear from do ranked pvp, MM Operations or buying it directly from the GTN.

All pvp instances will have full lvl bolster to the highest gear lvl. That essentially means that most players will find little to no difference between the best geared to the least geared for item lvl.

When you aren’t in pvp and playing pve, you aren’t bolstered, but you don’t need to be.

If you want to play open world pvp, then you’re in the wrong game because it’s mostly non existent.

It certainly has been a challenge. I will say that. I have been back for about 5 weeks and, during that time, realized that pvp, especially ranked, is very gear dependent. I dabbled a bit with ranked on SS with Maullin but called it quits for this season because the toon was too much of a liability for a 4 man team. The lack of gear affected the other players.

Also, there has been a learning curve since my return about the gearing process. I regret spending a ton of resources on 236, 242, and 248 gear when I could have been saving it all for Ossus. /Shrug.....u live and u learn. lol.

I also have been working on my SF toons which have been neglected for a long time. But, learning about the gearing process has made the process much easier for these toons. I am playing Pepe there.....She is coming along nicely.

With the intro of a new expansion coming rather quickly. I figured it was best to get familiar with game again and just roll in regs. Let the others who were "more qualified" with gear finish out this season.

I will be back for the next one.....

EDIT: damn I need to update my sig...lol

Edited by Nickodemous

Hey m8.

Pls explain exactly what gearing you want, because thare have been at least 10 different since launch.

90% of Player Base agrees that:

A General Random Gear Rewards System = Cancer

PvE > PvP and PvP > PvE = Cancer

Game Devs. implement systems that violate the above and get thrashed because they are apparently only interessted in Cash Cows and Short Term Money.

What we had right before the implementation of CXP and the removal of pvp gear was literally the perfect system.

This will all change apparently in 6.0

Without going into all the details, this is some of what’s changing.,

You will be able to obtain all items in the game by “playing your way” (according to Bioware). There may be some faster ways to get certain things, but everything will be obtainable eventually. You will not be forced to play Operations or PVP or flashpoints or even story if you want gear to BiS. Unlike now where you can only get 258 gear from doing ranked PVP, MM Operations or buying it directly from the GTN.

All PVP instances will have full level bolster to the highest gear level. That essentially means that most players will find little to no difference between the best geared to the least geared for item level.

When you aren’t in PVP and playing PvE, you aren’t bolstered, but you don’t need to be.

If you want to play open world PVP, then you’re in the wrong game because it’s mostly nonexistent.

I hate to disagree there was a lot of people who enjoyed doing random PVP out of instances and that's the point I made before is that PVP is fun VS'ing other players but doing it is more fun when gearing in PVP gear. The days of going into a Warzone and doing objectives and wanting to win was fun because you got Warzone credits to buy gear for doing it. I'm more insulted they think that just by throwing a booster into a warzone to max gear level is some sort of reward or fair play... What's the point then?

People also like 1v1ing on ships or outside of warzone as well but no SWTOR doesn't think of that. People also enjoy having guilds fight guilds but no that was ruined when SWTOR killed the PVP gearing system. The game isn't getting better it's removing what made SWTOR fun. Without that system of working towards something by doing it the way, you love then there is no satisfaction.

The old PVP system was the best! Pvping to earn those credits to buy the gear to have better gear for PVP with gear set bonuses to modify it with Augments to then save up more SWTOR credits to buy end game PVP gear was the reward and to enter PVP and say this is what I have earned from PVP'ing and I can take this outside of Warzones and vs my friends in 1v1 matches or join in Guild event battles and have fun.

I hate to disagree there was a lot of people who enjoyed doing random PVP out of instances and that's the point I made before is that PVP is fun VS'ing other players but doing it is more fun when gearing in PVP gear. The days of going into a Warzone and doing objectives and wanting to win was fun because you got Warzone credits to buy gear for doing it. I'm more insulted they think that just by throwing a booster into a warzone to max gear level is some sort of reward or fair play... What's the point then?

People also like 1v1ing on ships or outside of warzone as well but no SWTOR doesn't think of that. People also enjoy having guilds fight guilds but no that was ruined when SWTOR killed the PVP gearing system. The game isn't getting better it's removing what made SWTOR fun. Without that system of working towards something by doing it the way, you love then there is no satisfaction.

The old PVP system was the best! Pvping to earn those credits to buy the gear to have better gear for PVP with gear set bonuses to modify it with Augments to then save up more SWTOR credits to buy end game PVP gear was the reward and to enter PVP and say this is what I have earned from PVP'ing and I can take this outside of Warzones and vs my friends in 1v1 matches or join in Guild event battles and have fun.

Ya I haven't bothered dueling since the removal of pvp gear.

Ya I haven't bothered dueling since the removal of pvp gear.

The PVP Community lost such a huge player base when that happened. I don't mind doing missions now and then but when the Gearing System was removed for PVP I gave up on the game for a while there hoping to come back to a better version but nope. When the Devs get the Idea to just throw a bone to every player it takes away the enjoyment of having your own unique community. Sure enough, this update that allows all players to earn gear through any means being Quests or PVP or Bosses or so on and so forth seems ok but just not the same. We will see how this goes with 6.0 but I'm not expecting much especially with PVP as they never stopped to think.

No disagreement from me. I was one of those people who used to ride around flagged for pvp. Nothing better than some Epic PvE geared players jumping me and my comp in full ranked expertise gear and they get smashed and cry that I must be cheating. Riding around farming mats between pvp matches on Yavin while flagged for pvp was my favourite pass time :D

But sadly, those days have passed since they introduced a pvp instance and removed expertise. Nobody really uses the pvp instances except to get things done when other instances are crowded,

I exclusively use the pvp instances to get things done and hope I see other players to pvp with, which is very rare.

If people actually did more OWPVP, then I would be happy, but they don’t. The only OWPVP I see is on Dantooine during an event and unless people have a 2 v 1 advantage, they just run away from me if they can. Which is also sad.

Ive proposed they bring back expertise and pvp gear since they removed it. Even up to them announcing the 6.0 changes. It’s obvious they aren’t going to bring it or pvp only gear back.

I just wish they’d bring back pvp flagging and remove the pvp instance. The game feels so dead sometimes when I see no one in the pvp instance.

I recently started to get ready for WoW classic and during the stress test I was pleased to see they have kept to the classic design and have pvp flagging. If you ever played WoW, you would know they never had anything like expertise in OWPVP. If you flag for pvp, then you take your chances getting jumped by higher lvl or higher geared players, I take the risk and do it because it’s fun. 99.9% of people don’t or won’t do that in this game. That’s why I said this is the wrong game if you want to OWPVP.

The PVP Community lost such a huge player base when that happened.

That is so true. Changing the gearing system and the added gear grind made my whole pvp guild up and leave the game. I’m the only person who stayed active.

I would say they lost a very large portion of dedicated pvpers when they removed the pvp gear.

That is so true. Changing the gearing system and the added gear grind made my whole PVP guild up and leave the game. I’m the only person who stayed active.

I would say they lost a very large portion of dedicated pvp'ers when they removed the PVP gear.

The guild I was in did the same. If SWTOR Really wanted to help the game become popular again the would re-invite PVP gear into the game back like 2014 and 2015 with the PVP gearing system and then could even make which is wrong a scroll or token that gives a 20% PVP warzone credit resource boost for 2 hours costing 25 or 50 cartel coins that could also be sold on the AH for players.

This way SWTOR is making money and PVP is again revived.

Edited by GeneralSeni

I think this is kind of a dead point with the upcoming gear changes, but all they really need to do is move a few enhancements. If they swapped the accuracy enhancements to the weapons and then put in PVP weapons that would solve most of the issues.