Punishment for leaving WZ

Ondrejkoo

The idea is bad to begin with, because you have players that might crash, for whatever reason: client, or ISP, or ANY reason that is outside of the game. It is what it is - an unfortunate event.

Why would the other 7, which might not even be in a losing game, get extra-anything for being there? With a system in place that backfills?

Giving a bonus to the players that didn't leave could be abused very easily to quickly gear up someone: just have the whole team except for 1 player exit 5 seconds before the game ends, and the one left behind would get a huge boost. Not desirable.

However, giving a bonus to the replacement is definitely a good idea. I'd find it most ideal if the replacement was given all the medals and comms aquired by the quiter/disconnect so far, with a minimum of 1 medal (with a couple of comms). I'm sure it'll reduce the amount of intentional quiters when they realize that the rewards for "all their hard work" are being given to their replacement free of charge. My guess is, that that would frustrate them more than a deserter debuff. They care only about their own progress, not about the team or anyone else. They want to feel like they're the top dog, and somebody else aquiring the comms they "worked for" is NOT part of their plans.

However, someone who disconnects unintentionally, and just wants the team to win, will be happy that they got a replacement at least, or some lucky newbie who gets to gear up faster to become a future asset. Either result is perfectly acceptable.

Edited by AsheraII

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Giving a bonus to the players that didn't leave could be abused very easily to quickly gear up someone: just have the whole team except for 1 player exit 5 seconds before the game ends, and the one left behind would get a huge boost. Not desirable.

However, giving a bonus to the replacement is definitely a good idea. I'd find it most ideal if the replacement was given all the medals and comms aquired by the quiter/disconnect so far, with a minimum of 1 medal (with a couple of comms). I'm sure it'll reduce the amount of intentional quiters when they realize that the rewards for "all their hard work" are being given to their replacement free of charge. My guess is, that that would frustrate them more than a deserter debuff. They care only about their own progress, not about the team or anyone else. They want to feel like they're the top dog, and somebody else aquiring the comms they "worked for" is NOT part of their plans.

However, someone who disconnects unintentionally, and just wants the team to win, will be happy that they got a replacement at least, or some lucky newbie who gets to gear up faster to become a future asset. Either result is perfectly acceptable.

So, you`ll end up with a worse type of player - the backfiller. Players that queue all day long for that insta-pop and see if they get anything.. if they do, they just afk in some corner and watch a movie... if they don`t, they`ll simply quit, just as they are doing right now.

But we have another morality problem - why should a player get anything for free? Regardless of the situation she/he might be in?

So, you`ll end up with a worse type of player - the backfiller. Players that queue all day long for that insta-pop and see if they get anything.. if they do, they just afk in some corner and watch a movie... if they don`t, they`ll simply quit, just as they are doing right now.

But we have another morality problem - why should a player get anything for free? Regardless of the situation she/he might be in?

- Most of the games I join is not as a backfiller. Maybe one out of 7-8 games I play I'm a replacement. So if I were to play intentionally as a backfiller, wanting to grab some easy comms, I'd spend a lot of time watching my loading screen untill I finally got a backfil position. Most backfil positions are still pretty early on in the match, so I'd rarily get more than 4 medals out of it, and I'd loose more time if I were to AFK from there, for what? 4 medals and maybe 4 more guard medals? The rest of the team will rarely mind someone taking guard duty though. I'd get more medals out of playing the game as intended and helping win the game. Twice the comms too. By the time someone who plays for backfilling aquired a hundred comms, a "normal" player will have aquired twice the amount EVEN on lost games.

-I don't see a moral problem with giving a free bonus to those players who replace quiters. They're placed in a game with a handicap. Currently, they even risk finishing the warzone without a single medal or commendation because they can be thrown into a game as a "last 20 seconds" replacement. Bioware already acknowledges that problem, and is adding a reinforcement medal to replacements, on top of adding a replacement-lockout, so players won't be sent as replacement for the final seconds anymore.

Still, I think that one medal is a rather minimal reward for someone who spent time in the queue with the intention of playing a full-length warzone.

As for the quiters: more people should simply put the quiters on their ignore list. Yes, it helps, and you'll actually find yourself being part of more and more capable teams over time as you weed out the "bads" from your groups. Given enough ignores, the quiters will find their quetimes increase, as they won't get matched with anyone but other quiters. Too bad I've got them on ignore, so I won't be in their team to see what happens when you put 5 or more armchair generals together. :D

- Most of the games I join is not as a backfiller. Maybe one out of 7-8 games I play I'm a replacement. So if I were to play intentionally as a backfiller, wanting to grab some easy comms, I'd spend a lot of time watching my loading screen untill I finally got a backfil position. Most backfil positions are still pretty early on in the match, so I'd rarily get more than 4 medals out of it, and I'd loose more time if I were to AFK from there, for what? 4 medals and maybe 4 more guard medals? The rest of the team will rarely mind someone taking guard duty though. I'd get more medals out of playing the game as intended and helping win the game. Twice the comms too. By the time someone who plays for backfilling aquired a hundred comms, a "normal" player will have aquired twice the amount EVEN on lost games.

D

Luky you, most back fills I get are in the last 30 seconds of the match. Sometimes it is so bad that when the loading screen clears I am looking at a score board and I am the only one in the ops. This happens at least 2-5 times a week, on almost every toon I have. Even in the 50's.

[snip]....

-I don't see a moral problem with giving a free bonus to those players who replace quiters. They're placed in a game with a handicap. Currently, they even risk finishing the warzone without a single medal or commendation because they can be thrown into a game as a "last 20 seconds" replacement. Bioware already acknowledges that problem, and is adding a reinforcement medal to replacements, on top of adding a replacement-lockout, so players won't be sent as replacement for the final seconds anymore.

Still, I think that one medal is a rather minimal reward for someone who spent time in the queue with the intention of playing a full-length warzone.

Case: I get a player that disconnected in the first 5 seconds, due to client crash - backfiller joins with a bonus.

That bonus is not deserved and should not be handed to him, just because he had the blind luck to replace a client crash...

As for the quiters: more people should simply put the quiters on their ignore list. Yes, it helps, and you'll actually find yourself being part of more and more capable teams over time as you weed out the "bads" from your groups. Given enough ignores, the quiters will find their quetimes increase, as they won't get matched with anyone but other quiters. Too bad I've got them on ignore, so I won't be in their team to see what happens when you put 5 or more armchair generals together. :D

Ignore works only for flashpoints. In PvP you are matched with everybody, be it on ignore or not.

Case: I get a player that disconnected in the first 5 seconds, due to client crash - backfiller joins with a bonus.

That bonus is not deserved and should not be handed to him, just because he had the blind luck to replace a client crash...

Well, with the system Bioware is putting in place now, those would get a reinforcement medal as well. Even if that player were to get ALL the medals of another player, there wouldn't be any difference. It's not like you'll rack up 5 medals during the first 5 seconds anyway. Even during the first 2 minutes that's usually a pretty good score.

I actually feel more sorry for the player who aquired 8+ medals and then gets involuntarily disconnected, then I'd get upset about someone else coming in as reinforcement and getting 8 medals. I could agree on a maximum for the medals/comms being transfered to the replacement. 3-4 medals and 30-40 comms sounds enough to me. But still, 1 single medal for being thrown into a game with a considerable handicap is a bit on the low side.

Ignore works only for flashpoints. In PvP you are matched with everybody, be it on ignore or not.

Would like to see some test results on that, I know I haven't seen any of them again, though it might have to do with whether other groups are quickly available during the time, and they just use a "preferredly don't match these two, but do if there are no other options" indicator for ignores. Or maybe, most of the bads on my list just quit trying after a day or two. :cool:

You guys want to *punish* people for leaving (I find the concept laughable, really - part of our blame/everyone gets a trophy culture I suppose) - instead of addressing WHY people leave. If you correct the WHY, then you wouldn't need to be forcing people to play with you that don't want to.

But so many of you in this thread are soapboxing so hard that you've turned your *opinion* on this matter into some sort of moral stance that you think everyone should share. Guess what, not everyone does.

I feel much more strongly about getting into a group of people who I feel are entirely inconsiderate of their group by not doing their best to prepare for the wz. I'm not hating on people in recruit gear, and if there are one or two on my team so be it. But there are a fair number of people who don't even wear recruit gear. I've been in matches with people missing items because "I accidentally sold it to a vendor". These people give me the impression that they are standing there looking at me defiantly saying "What are you going to do about it?". Well, I'm going to leave, because I'm not your mom and I don't have to hold your hand and coddle you.

I go into WZs prepared. I spend credits to augment my gear, I use stims and medpacks and adrenals. I spend my time preparing in these ways, but also on knowing how to play my characters and fully understanding strategy in the different maps. When I lose I try to identify what the problems were and if there was anything I personally could have done differently. I play casually, but I am a serious competitor.

I mentioned earlier, I don't leave a lot of matches. I'll stick it out for losses in almost every case, but I hate starting at a serious disadvantage because I've got 4+ people who are being inconsiderate of the team by not being prepared and not caring to do so. That is disrespectful. You might tell me to do RWZ to guarantee that I have matches with people who are adequately geared and prepared, but I am a casual player too, I don't have the time commitment to really do that. I'll tell you the same thing, though. If you don't want people to quit matches ever, or want people penalized for leaving if they do, do RWZ because that system is in place already.

Put in some sort of gear matching/team balancing system and I'll be happy. People will quit less often. And the people who don't care enough to be considerate of others on their teams will play more often with like minded players and probably have a better time as well.

For the record, I don't necessarily like that some schmuck has to take my place after I leave a match, but I try to leave for the most part before matches even start. That person also has the option of leaving, though. Free will and all that. Does it suck to sometimes get into a match that is just wrapping up as a loss, sure. But it doesn't impact the quality of my mental health like running into a meat grinder with no support from my team, who doesn't care that they put myself and others into that position to begin with.

I play mostly under 50 on various characters, and I can honestly say I have never quit a game willingly, even when our team got facerolled by an obvious premade. You just suck up the losses and take em on the chin, and in the case of under 50's learn the damn game. New players are NOT going to know, and you can guide em. Impatient arses can't be avoided sometimes and you just hope they do quit.

Obviously I feel it's a bigger problem in 50+ Really people should have earned their stripes with under 50 PvP, but that is not what they have done in many cases, and it can be frustrating when you see someone that doesn't know the maps and tactics when they really should.

However all this is countered by my distaste for elitist arseholes, who if you are not perfect.... woe betide you mess up THEIR game. You DARE to have fun and not take it as seriously as me while I am playing!?

Normally I run under the radar and am competent enough not to get singled out, but I do take very special pleasure in giving the bullied person my MVP vote if they hang around, especially if you can see that they are trying and not just farming. it's my anonymous up yours to the haters.

Things happen and you sometimes have to drop game, and until i read this thread I didn't know actually how to leave a WZ without just quitting the entire game cause I had to suddenly run. Yeah I would definitely be in favour of some sort of penalty for deliberate leavers. If you genuinely have to go, then I guess you could quite willingly take the commendation hit if you have to run. And yeah it would suck if your net dropped, so maybe have a couple of "Freebie" leaves in say every 5 hours. Then the counter resets. It wont happen, but hey, we can wish. :)

Balance classes, fix the bugs, balance battleground roles then let's talk about punishing players for leaving. No one is gonna play a game that frustrates them cause let's be honest, you end up in some crappy games that make you want to put your fist through your screen, and even fewer will play a game that adds a punishment to that.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not for leaving (I left too but mostly due to being put in Huttball) but before you demand punishments make sure that the game is in a state that justifies the said punishment and right now it's far from it.

I mean, let's face it, SWTOR is a mediocre game at best, the only thing that makes it stand above others is not PVP, not PVE, not mechanics and not graphical quality, it's story and voice acting. I'm not even sure why they decided to add 5 more levels when it took them 2 years... or what?; to balance the classes (which they still didn't manage).

Bottom line, I'm not ripping on SWTOR and I'm not agreeing with people quitting but let's not pretend we are playing a perfect game.

I will post this again what I said, I would like to hear what people think about it.

Ideal outcome of a penalty system, people who have a tendency to quit stop queueing altogether. Wouldnt that be great?

Warcraft, League of Legends, have penalty systems that work, people understand them.

See example of what happens,

Leaver Buster:

Punishment (normal match):

1st offense - Player is unable to join the matchmaking queue for 6 minutes.

2nd and following offenses - Player is unable to join the matchmaking queue for 15 minutes.

If the game was a ranked match, the player loses no elo but the punishment is harsher:

1st offense - Player is unable to join the matchmaking queue for 30 minutes.

2nd and following offenses - Player is unable to join the matchmaking queue for 60 minutes.

This counter resets after 8 hours without leaving during champion select.

This counter is shared between normal and ranked.

Leaving the game before the match is over:

The Leaver Buster system will automatically kick players who remain idle for 5 minutes.

Punishment: No XP/IP granted for the abandoned game and a leave added to the player's profile.

If a game doesn't end (for example for server issues, or because every player left the match), no penalties are given out.

Link for that http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Leaver_Buster

My point?

If a FTP game has this, and Warcraft, why not SWTOR?

I will post this again what I said, I would like to hear what people think about it.

Warcraft, League of Legends, have penalty systems that work, people understand them.

See example of what happens,

Leaver Buster:

Punishment (normal match):

1st offense - Player is unable to join the matchmaking queue for 6 minutes.

2nd and following offenses - Player is unable to join the matchmaking queue for 15 minutes.

If the game was a ranked match, the player loses no elo but the punishment is harsher:

1st offense - Player is unable to join the matchmaking queue for 30 minutes.

2nd and following offenses - Player is unable to join the matchmaking queue for 60 minutes.

This counter resets after 8 hours without leaving during champion select.

This counter is shared between normal and ranked.

Leaving the game before the match is over:

The Leaver Buster system will automatically kick players who remain idle for 5 minutes.

Punishment: No XP/IP granted for the abandoned game and a leave added to the player's profile.

If a game doesn't end (for example for server issues, or because every player left the match), no penalties are given out.

Link for that http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Leaver_Buster

My point?

If a FTP game has this, and Warcraft, why not SWTOR?

So how do you deal with the problem of players who come totally unprepared to warzones? Is it A-OK for people to have no gear, not equip all slots, generally flip the double bird - to waste my time? Why is that ok, and it's a problem for me to leave that situation?

EDIT: I can't vote kick these people for anything other than afking.

Edited by Xooey

So how do you deal with the problem of players who come totally unprepared to warzones? Is it A-OK for people to have no gear, not equip all slots, generally flip the double bird - to waste my time? Why is that ok, and it's a problem for me to leave that situation?

EDIT: I can't vote kick these people for anything other than afking.

Other games punish leavers, this mmo is only one I see catering to rage quitters.

Afk kick and people being reported needs enforced, just like penalty's in others games do.

Warcraft and League of Legends don't lose players due to the leaver punishment, if SWTOR thinks that will happen here they are not looking at the bigger picture.

I honesty think they won't pull the gun on it because they are afraid what people will do with rules, which baffles me to no end.

Warcraft http://www.wowwiki.com/Deserter

League of Legends http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Leaver_Buster

These kinds of rules are needed here to wing out rage quitters, if the rage quitters don't Q then more people will stick it out instead of raging.

Less raging means less backfill, less backfill means more meaningful games.

It's that simple, rules will provide better game play for everyone.

Those that disagree want instant gratification, and will make up excuses why they should choose to leave a game instead of staying.

The line needs drawn.

Other games punish leavers, this mmo is only one I see catering to rage quitters.

Afk kick and people being reported needs enforced, just like penalty's in others games do.

Warcraft and League of Legends don't lose players due to the leaver punishment, if SWTOR thinks that will happen here they are not looking at the bigger picture.

I honesty think they won't pull the gun on it because they are afraid what people will do with rules, which baffles me to no end.

These kinds of rules are needed here to wing out rage quitters, if the rage quitters don't Q then more people will stick it out instead of raging.

Those that disagree want instant gratification, and will make up excuses why they should choose to leave a game instead of staying.

The line needs drawn.

I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure LoL and WoW don't have quests that require you to win a bunch of games in order to finish a quest.

I'm not staying in a game filled with inept players if I need wins to finish my weekly. Leaving also makes it less likely I get queued with them again.

Quick suggestion:

For leaving WZ prematurely player will loose lets say 30 commendations.

New players who enter already started WZ will get it as compensation.

Details not necessary

A penalty for not wasting time with:

- Half-recruit/half L40 blues?

- Objective ignorers?

- AFKs?

- Solo DMers?

- Chat whiners that contribute nothing to the team?

- Healers in the corner spamming on themselves?

Sounds like a great idea, if you're one of them.

Edited by Joesixxpack

I'm not staying in a game filled with inept players if I need wins to finish my weekly.

Your personal preference needs punishment, nobody should care what you think about the circumstance of your opinions.

Opinions is why rage quitters get listened too, because they are the customer.

Just because quitters pay a sub as well still don't make them right for what they do, it makes them selfish to ask more when in fact others suffer over it.

Bottom line is games are geting dictated because of leavers, I like a world where there is repercussion for selfish acts.

Just like Warcraft and League of Legends, they don't tolerate seldom acts of rage quitters, you quit you get punished, keep doing it you will learn your lesson.

Rage quitters need a lesson taught in this game, nobody wants to hear excuses.

America didn't get built on excuses, it got built with sweat and guts, some kids here need to play mmo games like that.

Learn from your forefathers..:)

Would u tree hugging emmer effers stop trying to penalize people who leave WZ's. It's getting old and will not happen.

Why in the heck should I have to stay a part of a rubbish match, effort, team composition, map I don't like....not to mention, I wanna enjoy my time on SWTOR(getting harder each day), I wanna leave whenever I feel like without concern of being stripped of any in game priveleges....I mean seriously.

I am not going to pay someone money to tell me I can't stop doing an activity when I want to......unless I get penalized. The more you say it out loud the more ridiculous it sounds. So stop it.

Would u tree hugging emmer effers stop trying to penalize people who leave WZ's. It's getting old and will not happen.

Why in the heck should I have to stay a part of a rubbish match, effort, team composition, map I don't like....not to mention, I wanna enjoy my time on SWTOR(getting harder each day), I wanna leave whenever I feel like without concern of being stripped of any in game priveleges....I mean seriously.

I am not going to pay someone money to tell me I can't stop doing an activity when I want to......unless I get penalized. The more you say it out loud the more ridiculous it sounds. So stop it.

as your opinion is one sided. other people are also paying to play the game....which letting people quit and rejoin right away cuz they were not selected into a group that could carry them to a win effects the people who stay. so i don't enjoy large guilds and tend to group with a select few, 99% of the pvp i do is pugged. so by letting people like you quit warzones is penalizing people like me. so i get the penalty of having to deal with the quiters, the quiters should have to deal with a penalty of not being able to reque for a set amount of time

The line needs drawn.

You have an opinion. It's not fact. Stop acting like it's a moral high ground and admit it hold no more water than the next guy who chooses to post here. You're not better than anyone.

Secondly, you can't change people in MMOs. I tried for 7 years. It's a losing battle. The ONLY THING you can do at this point is leave warzones that people are too stupid in. Because you have no control otherwise.

Exactly, you would stop if you got penalized.

Ty for making my point. :)

Tell you this: You pay for my playing time than I will follow your rules. I will leave a WZs when I see fit to.

You thought premades in WZs were bad now. Just wait till a punishment gets added in and all the solo players stop querying.

Edited by Ramtar

Secondly, you can't change people in MMOs. I tried for 7 years. It's a losing battle. The ONLY THING you can do at this point is leave warzones that people are too stupid in. Because you have no control otherwise.

This isn't about changing people, this game allows quitters and all I see is reasons like this,

Tell you this: You pay for my playing time than I will follow your rules. I will leave a WZs when I see fit to.

or

If you don't want people to quit your warzones, be less bad.

or

Penalties are a stupid idea. What happens when someone crashes? Penalize them?

or

I'll stop quitting warzones when i stop getting ****** teams going against smash monkies.

All those reasons is excuses, if there was a penalty they would stay, if they decided to go afk they would be kicked, if they didn't Q then no rage quitter.

It's a win win, penalty provides better games and less backfill.

It works in other games, and its undisputed.

Caeliux, I want to know why it is ok that people disrespect the team waste our time, but I can't mitigate that. I think you are catering to the lowest common denominator. Why is that person's needs more important than anyone elses? Should be equal at the least, and honestly the people who put more work in should get more benefit. That's how things should work, unless you're looking for a handout.

Well there are definitely points for and points against punishment.

But I still haven't read any argument why a player who is joining WZ after a leaver should suffer in a damaged game (lets face it, usually it is a lost game) while he had no contribution on that.

And you have to take into consideration that here on forums there are in general good PvPers and I understand that they spent a lot of time to get their gear/strategy/playstile on perfect level. However thare are leavers who are responsible for loosing the game as much as players who are staying. There are ones with bad gear or no effort to do something extra... there are ones who doesnt report and then quit after loosing a turret/ get bomb planted.

I think that advanced PvPers wont have a problem loosing couple WZCs for leaving WZ, but it will definetely help players I mentioned above to stay.

There are plenty of other issues to discuss but I sugest creating a new topic for that so that it wont get messy.

Edited by Ondrejkoo