Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

Agreed it is pretty sad. They are definitely afraid of something, just what that is I don't know. Probably fear of losing more subs when they say "uh yeah we haven't done anything yet. we'll get back to you."

Either that, or they have a policy against not revealing potential spoilers with regard to story content.

Hypothetical spoliers they might want to hide:

The only SGR available will be Doc.

SGR content is only available at level 50 after purchasing it from the Cartel Market

Or:

lol there are no spoilers, this was an elaborate joke we made up to take your money

Because talking about SGRs might spoil you, even though they talk about OGRs in the blogs and Companions 101.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Entirely possible. The last statement they made was that sgr will come when the story continues, and with the game going f2p and the massive layoffs nobody can tell you when that will come. Could be months, a year...

An update of anything, that they actually post publicly on the forums, would be appreciated, even if it is "Sorry, due to recent circumstances, story content has been delayed."

Ok, maybe not welcome. I certainly wouldn't be overjoyed at that news, but having Bioware just give us something, actually become the other half in this discussion, would be nice.

Anyone know who Evan Thomsen is? This is his facebook comment to the person who posted about GLAAD that I quoted previously:

Evan Thomsen: I'm not gay, and if I do a new character (I do like to have some alts, but I'm not an alt addict) I don't know if I'd do a same gender romance on the character if offered. But I have no issue with it. It's another choice for the character storyline. As long as patching such in doesn't derail other items that are still in development like Makeb, Cathar as a PC race and so forth, fine. If it does, then let those promised items patch in first, then see if budget allows new voice acting and so forth to patch it in.

After poking around on the SWTOR facebook site more I noticed he responds to almost all posts. Is he officially attached to SWTOR development? I noticed he even answers questions asked via twitter about SWTOR. I've never heard of him before??

Edited by gjpelrine

If it does, then let those promised items patch in first, then see if budget allows new voice acting and so forth to patch it in.

The issue I have with that is that SGRAs have been a promised item a lot longer than Makeb has.

Hi all

Thanks for this thread. I've been reading it for a while and has been helpful in making up my mind about what to do about my upcoming subscription renewal date in a few days.

My own scream into the void that I submitted to BioWare with my cancellation notice:

I’m cancelling my SWTOR subscription because of the continual denial of same-gender romance options in the game.

I joined a year ago and was surprised that BioWare, a company that had included LGBT issues in the Dragon Age series, was so negligent in incorporating any LGBT content into SWTOR.

I stuck it out for a year, but with no progress other than vague assurances of future content, I have chosen to no longer support the game with my subscription. If character romances are going to be included and encouraged (even required to unlock some companion skills) in SWTOR, I’m tired of seeing LGBT issues excluded from the equation. As this issue drags on, it is becoming more difficult not to believe they were not included for political reasons (or the personal biases of the development team).

My favorite character type to play was the smuggler, but I eventually found playing him insufferable since in every single encounter with a female, my male smuggler was encouraged to ‘romance’ her, reiterating time and time again with the on-screen conversation choices that as a gay gamer this was not really “my world” (or even “my story”). There was no place at the table for me in SWTOR.

If I wish to continue playing other characters, I’ll make do with the free-to-play options, but won’t offer my money to a game that continues to deny a place at the table for LGBT gamers. If same-gender options are eventually included, I may consider re-subscribing in the future.

I've tiered down to FTP. Thanks again for the good discussions and info on this thread. If you see me running through the Republic Fleet station as my (now much poorer) Jedi Knight Janto, give a *wave* emote.

Take care,

GG

He sounds more like an involved fan, to me.

First, the only Evan Thomsen-s I found was a high school kid and a professional fitness trainer. Whomever this guy is, he's a passionate fan but alas, does not work for EAware.

Secondly, for those that didn't see, I got gamesindustrybiz.com (games industry International) to respond to this matter last night.

Hi Real Name,

I'm looking into this. I have contacted Bioware, and while I can't

promise anything, they swill probably be willing to talk about the issue.

Thanks for getting in touch.

Matthew Handrahan

So that's another route we can take. Make sure you send out the messages and emails to them as well. They are the site that has the now-infamous EA/Zynga article that we edited, so I listened to my gut and wrote them. Glad I did. :cool:

Third, I've literally gotten that exact same CSR message about the Guild Summit when I came back to the game in September. After the Livestream, I would take that with the smallest grain of salt. I'm not trying to be negative, but I saw Uluain get the exact same message a few months back.

Finally, Uluain wanted me to say good bye to you all. Last night was utterly insane, and left a lot of us limping into this thread by the end of it.

He'll be watching, but man, he'll be missed. <hats off>

I'm going to be a little scarce over the next few days. My guild is wondering if I'm okay at this point, since I haven't logged in since Sunday. :p

As always, I'll be lurking, reading and reporting if I need to.

**hugs**

Edit: For those of you about to give up, contact GLAAD via email or facebook. The reason why GLAAD was contacted over this matter is because I found out that they had helped this very community last year. Rewording some of the angry letters to BioWare in order to send to GLAAD would be the way to go. Voting with our wallets didn't work, so maybe some media pressure will do it.

http://www.glaad.org/contact

Edited by AllisonBerryman

Last quick post before I go.

Do you guys think there is a chance in Hades that BW-Edmonton might care the slightest about ToR and SGRs for it? I thought about writing to David Gaider, but I wanted some feedback first.

I figured it couldn't hurt, but I'm not jumping the email gun this time. ;)

Last quick post before I go.

Do you guys think there is a chance in Hades that BW-Edmonton might care the slightest about ToR and SGRs for it? I thought about writing to David Gaider, but I wanted some feedback first.

I figured it couldn't hurt, but I'm not jumping the email gun this time. ;)

I believe someone did contact him months ago about the issue but I can't be certain, his response would have been deleted with that long gone incarnation of this thread. I could be wrong, perhaps if you are still in contact with Uluian you can ask him.

I guess it's just Austin that befuddle me

It is definitely just the Austin group. Something, or more likely someone in the Austin group has an issue with this content and this discussion. They haven't left me any options at this point but to take my money elsewhere.

Oh well, I have faith in the Edmonton group though that they will have many great games in the future that will come with SGRA's and continue the Edmonton group's history of inclusive games. If Austin wants to remain discriminatory and maintain the exclusiveness of SW:TOR more power to them. It has reached a point of not being worth the effort for me anymore.

If you really think that by going F2P didn't alter anything timeline wise or content wise then so be it, I disagree and so do others. Less money coming in means less new and neat things which is one of the reasons I am thinking of cancelling my sub as it gets boring once you hit 50 and do all the FP ad Ops.

Can you show me one quote in which the word promised is used. Saying they had intended it to be in but now it isnt due to x factor isn't promised, things change. Unless the word promised was used then they can change their minds and not put in SGR or put it in when they feel fit to.

If you really think that by going F2P didn't alter anything timeline wise or content wise then so be it, I disagree and so do others. Less money coming in means less new and neat things which is one of the reasons I am thinking of cancelling my sub as it gets boring once you hit 50 and do all the FP ad Ops.

Can you show me one quote in which the word promised is used. Saying they had intended it to be in but now it isnt due to x factor isn't promised, things change. Unless the word promised was used then they can change their minds and not put in SGR or put it in when they feel fit to.

I have no doubt F2P has changed things for SWTOR, I have not said otherwise, but saying specifically what has changed when no information has been give is a little arrogant don't you think, like I said its your opinion, as valid as it may be, until official word has been given by a representative of BW/EA the community waiting for SGRA's has no choice but to ask questions.

For that matter its a terrible way to do business to expect everyone waiting on any specific content to come to the same conclusion about that content if things change, as you say, without giving any information! Its like you assume everyone must now know that SGRA's must have been put on the back burner or cancelled because of F2P!

As for showing you the quote of "promised" I don't have the link but it is in natashina signature links where you will find the "this year" quote. I'm not going to bother looking for it because I know its been linked in the past few day and you have seen it. Also if things "have changed because of x factor blah blah blah" that would imply that BW/EA has information they can share that they haven't given people, care to explain that? Don't bother, I'll explain it.

If in fact SGRA's have been pushed back/cancelled because of F2P, the logical conclusion you are so adamant in dolling out, that means that this information is known to the development team but has not been shared with the community asking for SGRA's. A community so bereft of information they have sought outside help in seeking information about this issue. So if this information is known by the development team why not share it? Easy, they stand to loose money from telling the community plans have changed. They feel silence on the issue is better then loosing subscription fees. However this will create a much larger problem, because of the long standing silence on this issue, if they decide to go public with the information that SGRA's are pushed back/cancelled and had come to this decision and NOT shared it with the community it makes it look like EA/BW wanted to milk their customers while they still had a chance. If that happens people in the community won't need to contact GLAAD because the resulting **** storm created by this backlash will become public knowledge. It would be a PR nightmare for BW/EA. To think that simply keeping people informed about your plans for the game could prevent this seems silly.

When this game tanks and unless they fix things pretty fast it will, I hope you get your 10 mins total of dialogue and one fade to black screen so you can say yes we got it, it was so worth it. Go ahead and slap BW who has been gay friendly in pretty much all of thier games when others have not, but hey you want what you want and that is all that matters. If SGR come and I am still around I won't be. Have fun with your crusade and if you feel the need to report my posts go ahead, wouldn't be the first time.

**tabs out of game, blinking furiously***

Random update...

For the first time in my experience, a lot of people on the Imp Fleet and in Balmorra (I was questing in Bal on my sorc) are talking about SGRs. They used the letters sgr even. One player is trying to find out if they can get with Darth Lachris as a female character. I told them to screenshot the flirt if it happened. :eek::eek:

So the word is out. Visibility really is the key here to getting an answer, so keep those posts going. Keep those messages and letters going. We've got a solid shot at this. Don't give up!

Edited by natashina

**tabs out of game, blinking furiously***

Random update...

For the first time in my experience, a lot of people on the Imp Fleet and in Balmorra (I was questing in Bal on my sorc) are talking about SGRs. They used the letters sgr even. One player is trying to find out if they can get with Darth Lachris as a female character. I told them to screenshot the flirt if it happened. :eek::eek:

So the word is out. Visibility really is the key here to getting an answer, so keep those posts going. Keep those messages and letters going. We've got a solid shot at this. Don't give up!

This is the best news I've heard in a while! :D

Visibility really is the key here to getting an answer, so keep those posts going.

And of course that is why we were originally shoved back here in the first place. So they could ignore us. I'd still suggest to everyone to post in the thread on General. Just report the trolls and homophobes and keep the discussion between each other.

And of course that is why we were originally shoved back here in the first place. So they could ignore us. I'd still suggest to everyone to post in the thread on General. Just report the trolls and homophobes and keep the discussion between each other.

I believe the OP actually originally posted this in Story and Lore. I don't think we were 'shoved' here, I think we've merely been kept here.

When this game tanks and unless they fix things pretty fast it will, I hope you get your 10 mins total of dialogue and one fade to black screen so you can say yes we got it, it was so worth it. Go ahead and slap BW who has been gay friendly in pretty much all of thier games when others have not, but hey you want what you want and that is all that matters. If SGR come and I am still around I won't be. Have fun with your crusade and if you feel the need to report my posts go ahead, wouldn't be the first time.

Le Sigh... yet another person coming in here, trying to point out how we're throwing a tantrum about this content and how we want it now. Open your eyes and read next time, eh? All we want is a clarification. Are SGRAs still coming? If yes, when? My letter to GLAAD only stated that we are lacking any kind of information or update. It did not say... "Hey, GLAAD, go ahead and yell at EAWare to put SGRAs in pronto."

As stated, some of us ARE NOT playing, waiting on news regarding the way this content will be handled because we want to experience it. I, myself, have not played TOR seriously since a week after the Guild Summit, but have kept my subscription up and going during that entire time to support the company. Do I deserve to receive said content because of it? No more than anyone else. Do I deserve to know if said content is no longer coming so I can go ahead and finish the story line of my characters? I'd say I do. Do I deserve to know if said content has been postponed so that I can continue to wait patiently? Again, the answer would be yes, at least in my opinion.

If you believe that SGRAs will be the end of TOR, that's your opinion, but that doesn't mean it also gives you the right to come in and rant at us with the whole doom and gloom speech. No, we're not saying that your opinion doesn't matter, we're merely claiming that if you are going to ride in, telling us that what we want doesn't matter is counter-productive. All it will achieve is to aggravate us further, nothing more. If that is what you plan to accomplish, well then, I guess your posts will end up being on the reported list. So, do extend us the same courtesy that we extend you by not coming in the threads with the issues that concern you the most and starting to rant at how they're useless and how SGRA is more important.

Can you show me one quote in which the word promised is used. Saying they had intended it to be in but now it isnt due to x factor isn't promised, things change.

In what culture do you live that saying: "I intend to do X' is not a promise?

Third, I've literally gotten that exact same CSR message about the Guild Summit when I came back to the game in September. After the Livestream, I would take that with the smallest grain of salt. I'm not trying to be negative, but I saw Uluain get the exact same message a few months back.

So if three of us got the same message, on at least two different continents, in at least two different languages, that leaves me with the impression this is, after all, the official wording that BW is still using and things mentioned haven't changed. Grain of salt is in order, but at least we have more info pointing towards SGR implementation than info saying otherwise. ;)

I've tiered down to FTP. Thanks again for the good discussions and info on this thread. If you see me running through the Republic Fleet station as my (now much poorer) Jedi Knight Janto, give a *wave* emote.

Take care,

GG

D'aw. I've told them the same thing, basically, when my sub first ran out, but I had to resub again to post here (kind of sad, isn't it :rolleyes:). I feel you. I'd wave, if I weren't on a totally different server than you.

I do think out there are many more people that support this cause than we think, they're just not posting here. I do think a well moderated FB page could be worth thinking about, but it would need constant moderation. FB was made for trolling, it really sometimes seems that way. Gotta rush to work now, argh.

SGRA - Bioware states that they are coming, but they aren't sure exactly when.

Space Project - Bioware states that it's coming, but they don't know exactly when.

Level increase - Bioware states that it's coming, but they don't know exactly when.

Mekeb - Bioware states that it's coming, but they don't know exactly when.

Chapter 4 -Bioware states that it's coming, but they don't know exactly when.

There are tons of features that Bioware has stated are in the works that they don't have a firm date for. What makes your content any different than everyone else's? Why contact GLAAD in an effort to force Bioware to give you an answer (that they likely don't even know the answer too, as content/ETAs are subject to change) when ALL gaming companies do this with new content? Who made you guys the special snowflakes of the gaming world?

I really want a hood toggle to be added..... I wonder if there's an activist group I can call to force Bioware's hand on giving me a solid ETA...

SGRA - Bioware states that they are coming this year (2012), but they aren't sure exactly when.

Space Project - Bioware states that it's coming, but they don't know exactly when.

Level increase - Bioware states that it's coming, but they don't know exactly when.

Mekeb - Bioware states that it's coming, but they don't know exactly when.

Chapter 4 -Bioware states that it's coming, but they don't know exactly when.

There are tons of features that Bioware has stated are in the works that they don't have a firm date for. What makes your content any different than everyone else's? Why contact GLAAD in an effort to force Bioware to give you an answer (that they likely don't even know the answer too, as content/ETAs are subject to change) when ALL gaming companies do this with new content? Who made you guys the special snowflakes of the gaming world?

I really want a hood toggle to be added..... I wonder if there's an activist group I can call to force Bioware's hand on giving me a solid ETA...

Fixed that for ya

Edited by gjpelrine