Post your "solutions" to World PvP for planets where both factions can fight.

SithEBM-Reborn

I have decided to try my hand at fixing world PvP through a practice called "Common Sense". Today, I present planets where most PvP encounters occur(For me at least):

Alderaan

3 "Objective Areas:

1). In between Wardpost Landa and House Rist

2). In between Outpost Talarn and House Alde

3). Area between Organa Medical camp and House Alde(Seriously, it's just a body of water surrounded by mountains in there. That would be the PERFECT spot for an objective because it's isolated and it's in between the Empire and Republic flight paths).

The Alderaan Objectives would increase the reputation you gain through quests/whatever by (50-100%).

Tatooine

Two "3 Objective Areas":

First Area with 3 objectives: The Outlaw's Den

*All 3 would be in each corner of the Den.

Second Area with 3 objectives: The Dune Sea

1). Krayt Dragon graveyard

2). Southwest of the KDG

3). NW of the KDG

The Outlaw's Den Objectives would increase EXP(Faction wide) by (50-100%). If you don't like to level quickly, then you can disable the buff which would affect all types of PvE and PvP.

The Dune Sea Objectives would increase your mount speed by (20-50%). I doubt anybody would disable this but there would be an option to do so.

Of course, you'll earn 2-5 warzone commendations per kill in these objective areas and you'll have to wait "x amount of time", (I'd say 2 minutes is good) before you can get commendations off of the person you killed. Idc if groups would farm this because it would get people geared up quicker and they won't walk into warzones with PvE gear.

What incentives would you put in place to encourage world PvP and on what planets?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had posted some huge elaborate thing a while back with bases and timers for attacking them and that controlling bases would increase WZ comm and valor gain, but cba to find and cba to post it.

"We have no plans"

Also: Welcome back :D

Edited by cashogy_reborn

What are you trying to DAoC up the place? Make it worthwhile to do open world PvP?

BLASPHEMY!!!

For reals though - this is a good non-exploitable way to encourage pvp. It might make questing on tatooine tough though...all those high level battles going on middle of the dune sea? You're guaranteed to be nuked within 500 meters of the objective zone, and everyone's class story takes them out there at least once.

What are you trying to DAoC up the place? Make it worthwhile to do open world PvP?

BLASPHEMY!!!

For reals though - this is a good non-exploitable way to encourage pvp. It might make questing on tatooine tough though...all those high level battles going on middle of the dune sea? You're guaranteed to be nuked within 500 meters of the objective zone, and everyone's class story takes them out there at least once.

Yeah, you're right about the Dune Sea thing. Perhaps the benefits from the dune sea idea could merge with the outlaws den one(Or it could be moved to another place that wouldn't hurt people leveling as much). That way, people questing aren't hurt as much!

Thank you for your insight. :)

Edited by SithEBM-Reborn

Well, first, they'd actually need to improve the engine so it can support a large number of players in an area.

Anything done will have to be set up so high level players can't just run around ganking low level players and get rewarded for it.

For anyone familiar with GW2's eternal battleground, I wouldn't mind if they implemented something similar to it. Basically, just set up a large instanced zone that will keep factions balanced. This way, if people on the higher populated faction get tired of waiting in queue to enter the area they might just go roll the opposite faction. This would over all help with faction balance.

Of course, the instance being cross server would help a lot...But I don't see that happening...Don't really think we have the population anymore to really have a nice OWPVP zone with bases and objectives.

Rofl Engine crash incoming. So says the Devs

Yeah, they seriously need to upgrade their engine or modify it somehow. Nonetheless, instigating world PvP is very easy and it's obvious that PvP will die unless they somehow introduce Cross-Server and somehow implement world PvP so people aren't standing in the fleet all day.

Well, first, they'd actually need to improve the engine so it can support a large number of players in an area.

I agree with the necessity of upgrading the engine. I wouldn't even care if I lost all of my characters if it allowed EA/BioWare to remake this game from the ground up again but at this point, I highly doubt that would ever happen.

Anything done will have to be set up so high level players can't just run around ganking low level players and get rewarded for it.

Yeah, I was shooting for a "Hellfire Peninsula/Terokkar Forest/Nagrand" sort of world PvP. Try to isolate the objectives in an area where people questing aren't in too much danger and give incentives for people to participate in world PvP.

For anyone familiar with GW2's eternal battleground, I wouldn't mind if they implemented something similar to it. Basically, just set up a large instanced zone that will keep factions balanced. This way, if people on the higher populated faction get tired of waiting in queue to enter the area they might just go roll the opposite faction. This would over all help with faction balance.

I'm not familiar with GW2 so I can't comment on that.

Of course, the instance being cross server would help a lot...But I don't see that happening

I think WoW started that too and it really helped deal with dead servers. I would definitely support Cross-Server in the outlaw's den area but it might be too complicated for BW to implement lol.

...Don't really think we have the population anymore to really have a nice OWPVP zone with bases and objectives.

It can't hurt to try but I don't think anybody can dispute the fact that the population took a major hit and it's going to continue to get worse unless BioWare steps up their game.

I've thought quite a bit about this after my recent move to a PVP server. "LOL SWTOR thanks you for your $40.00 and we're sorry for laughing in your face and calling this a PVP server"

First off all safe zones need to be abolished, it's a PVP server. The 3 warnings you get about the fact that you are choosing a PVP server should mean it's a PVP server!

Ok here is my thought on a way to encourage open world PVP with minimum coding. Make a instance for each world striped down, no NPC. Each planet would have a level spread. Each base could be a faction stronghold, nothing new added but an objective node at each taxi. When one faction controls all the bases, that planet is theirs.

This is repeated for all planets.

Rewards: Coms and valor for kills. I really like the OP idea of a increased mount speed. This could be a 2% boost per planet controlled faction wide. A monthly vanity reward for the faction that's controlling the most systems. There are a ton of little things that can be used in this scenario, guild ranks and titles for successful sacks of enemy outposts.

Or a simple solution, one striped down world instance half the size with 10x the crafting resources and chests. again you would need the planet level swing to be with in 5-6 levels.

Let human nature do the rest.

The cheapest solutions are going to be the most likely considered solutions. Good luck I hope this gets some traction and some type of open world PVP results.

Welcome back and good idea.

Thank you good sir!

Glad you mentioned "idc if people exploit". At this point, worries about people exploiting need to go out the window. You can't just not give ANY content in an area of the game just because it could be potentially exploited.

Exactly.

I've thought quite a bit about this after my recent move to a PVP server. "LOL SWTOR thanks you for your $40.00 and we're sorry for laughing in your face and calling this a PVP server"

First off all safe zones need to be abolished, it's a PVP server. The 3 warnings you get about the fact that you are choosing a PVP server should mean it's a PVP server!

Honestly, it would be intriguing to see safe zones removed, but I think that they should stay for people who are less than level 40. They should also have a "warning" when someone gets killed near a base.

Ok here is my thought on a way to encourage open world PVP with minimum coding. Make a instance for each world striped down, no NPC. Each planet would have a level spread. Each base could be a faction stronghold, nothing new added but an objective node at each taxi. When one faction controls all the bases, that planet is theirs.

This is repeated for all planets.

Rewards: Coms and valor for kills. I really like the OP idea of a increased mount speed. This could be a 2% boost per planet controlled faction wide. A monthly vanity reward for the faction that's controlling the most systems. There are a ton of little things that can be used in this scenario, guild ranks and titles for successful sacks of enemy outposts.

Or a simple solution, one striped down world instance half the size with 10x the crafting resources and chests. again you would need the planet level swing to be with in 5-6 levels.

Let human nature do the rest.

The cheapest solutions are going to be the most likely considered solutions. Good luck I hope this gets some traction and some type of open world PVP results.

Thank you, I'm not sure what the best solution would be, but it's good to brainstorm like this even if the developers don't plan on doing anything. I haven't subscribed since September and even though I have no plans to sub again, stuff like Open World PvP and cross server would definitely bring me back for another month so I could experiment with PvP again.

Easy. Make a daily, one faction has to capture a point and hold for X number of minutes, the other has to defend for x number of minutes. To make things achievable for both sides where one faction is dominant(one side usually is) also give the attacking faction another objective ie "kill this many opposing players", and for defenders simply place a time limit they have to achieve to pick up there daily ie 10 minutes total time on the point.

Randomize the location, and maybe add some ways to keep people who have completed the objective to keep playing. IE something like valor, reputation grinding, or even random crafting mats from killing opposing players.

There is one solution new Planet/World that the only thing you can do is PvP..... just like somewhat bigger Out Law Den...

There is only one or two spawn points per side only one is medium guarded......

No other NPC/Moobs out side the spawn area........

On this Planet/World there CAN NOT BE ANY OTHER MISSION then PvP ones so no seeker droid, micro binocular mission or gsi or something like that)

The lvl 55 requirement to enter( or not)

The rewards for kills:

*solo kill full reward

*2 vs 1 kill 25% reward

*Other 5% regular reward

*or if they are bigger groups fighting each other the mathematical equation of some sort

Because Open World is mainly PvE i don't see any kind of solution that wouldn't hurt those ppl that don't want to do any PvP at the moment.. WZ, Arenas are for that. Every solution i have seen is just some kind of 'exploit' to kill those that have no expertise, no PvP gear or just low lvl ppl , ganking encouragement

Many, many, moons ago.....(alpha, beta, launch)....people actively assisted devs with these type of threads.

Nowadays we are all pretty aware that the devs will never really listen to this playerbase with regards to what they want. They will respond with corrections of things the players "don't want" occasionally. But rare is the day that they address something we do want, with a positive response.

This game should have thrived for the first 5 years after launch and easily been around for 10. It thrived for one month after launch and has leaked subs like a bucket with multiple holes in the bottom ever since. While the sub cancellations have slowed considerably, the new players coming to swtor has slowed much more.

Word of mouth and the internet in combination is a *****, wonder if they know that.....? :o

Would be pretty easy for them to implement two things.

1) a pvp terminal in every "market" main area on every planet.

2) such terminals would offer all PVP quests along with a new daily, called kill or be killed. This daily rewards 100 reg and rated comms and the same expertise as the current warzone daily. For completion players must get either 5 kills or five deaths in open world pvp.

Some tweaks I've thought about are making it so the daily spawns every 5 levels (ie at 25, 30, 35) and only gives you credit for kills within a + or - 5 level window. If this could be implemented and still give credit for deaths from 55s I think it would be superior. Could have some really cool names for the different missions.

"Kill or be Killed"

"If it's red it's dead"

"cleansing a foul stench"

Would be pretty easy for them to implement two things.

1) a pvp terminal in every "market" main area on every planet.

Seems like a good idea.

2) such terminals would offer all PVP quests along with a new daily, called kill or be killed. This daily rewards 100 reg and rated comms and the same expertise as the current warzone daily. For completion players must get either 5 kills or five deaths in open world pvp.

People would exploit this.

Some tweaks I've thought about are making it so the daily spawns every 5 levels (ie at 25, 30, 35) and only gives you credit for kills within a + or - 5 level window. If this could be implemented and still give credit for deaths from 55s I think it would be superior. Could have some really cool names for the different missions.

I like that idea.

"Kill or be Killed"

"If it's red it's dead"

"cleansing a foul stench"

Awesome mission names! This reminds me of wintergrasp honestly so I believe that if your idea were to be implemented in a "Take this area zone and be rewarded with missions", then it would work a lot better. Of course, the engine might not be able to handle my adjustment to your idea.

Easy. Make a daily, one faction has to capture a point and hold for X number of minutes, the other has to defend for x number of minutes. To make things achievable for both sides where one faction is dominant(one side usually is) also give the attacking faction another objective ie "kill this many opposing players", and for defenders simply place a time limit they have to achieve to pick up there daily ie 10 minutes total time on the point.

The problem with this is that it would turn into a "Win trading" scenario such as ilum or "Tol Barad" from WoW. While people did kill each other in WoW, that sort of PvP was actually "negative" in ilum. It can't cater to casuals and IMO, the only way this could work is if Cross-Server was implemented(Assuming we're talking about large scale PvP).

Randomize the location, and maybe add some ways to keep people who have completed the objective to keep playing. IE something like valor, reputation grinding, or even random crafting mats from killing opposing players.

100% agreed. This would be an amazing way for PvPers to gain reputation without questing AND maybe gaining warzone commendations/valor would entice PvP and make it feel meaningful.

Edited by SithEBM-Reborn

They are exploitable, but I feel like they are annoying enough to exploit that it actually would be easier to do it the "proper way", at least while leveling.

Honestly, I don't care "Too much" about exploiting at this point but anything that involves win trading needs to be ruled out. We all have great ideas and we should keep posting them!

Many, many, moons ago.....(alpha, beta, launch)....people actively assisted devs with these type of threads.

Yeah, I have been there too and they have ignored all of my feedback on the PTS/regular forums.

Nowadays we are all pretty aware that the devs will never really listen to this playerbase with regards to what they want. They will respond with corrections of things the players "don't want" occasionally. But rare is the day that they address something we do want, with a positive response.

That's the problem though. BioWare needs to realize that their perceptions of "Fun and balanced" are incorrect. Will they ever admit to their failures? Probably not.

This game should have thrived for the first 5 years after launch and easily been around for 10. It thrived for one month after launch and has leaked subs like a bucket with multiple holes in the bottom ever since. While the sub cancellations have slowed considerably, the new players coming to swtor has slowed much more.

Word of mouth and the internet in combination is a *****, wonder if they know that.....? :o

100% agreed. I'm making this thread in hopes that they decide to listen tot he playerbase but one can hope, right?

Edited by SithEBM-Reborn

At this point I would be glad to see anything. The stuff in this thread is good. They've added in PU boxes for dailies all over the place. I don't see why they don't at least leverage the same concept for PVP. Even simple **** like 'Kill 5 Evil Siffs on Oricon' would be fine with me.

Damn OP I never thought I'd see your name in here again, welcome back!

P.S. - Free Ugly.

Edited by Joesixxpack

Yea, as I posted in another thread about this kinda thing...

The only incentive anyone has to battle on the PvP server is that legacy achievement series, which counts regardless of level. :/

Again, I do it for fun, but most players are rushing to the end-game build, and frustrated by interruptions.

Leaving the level difference open leads to a common conclusion. It is most beneficial to level up to 55 and one-hit-kill lowbies to get this reward, and any other rewards that could be offered.

Whatever they offer for it, it needs to be something good, and it needs to be restricted to players at or above your level.

Otherwise, you're just turning the gamers who've already spent their money on this game into bullies who beat up and scare off all your potentially new customers.

Open world PvP needs to be fun While you're leveling to keep players around, not just After you level.

These are interesting suggestions, though.