Mouse turning

Raynezazki

i only right click and move forward with my w key. A and D are strafe left and right and i unbind s because you wont need it. i found this was easier for me. also as you get used to it, increase your camera rotation speed (increases the speed at which the camera rotates with the right click turning).

Edit: camera rotation speed is in preferences and under controls i think, could be wrong

Edited by thatPERSON

I don't think I ever let go of the mouse-button... except for selecting a far-away-teammate to intercede. *ponders*

Also: good keybindings are super important. And different for everyone.

Me for example have al LOT of keybindings... and by now they are about the same in every mmo:

Shift+1

Shift+2

Shift+3

Shift+4

Shift+5

F

Shift+F

G

Shift+G

R

Shift+R

Shift+Q

Shift+E

H

Shift+H

T

Shift+T

^

Shift+^

<

Shift+<

Shift+X

Shift+C

Shift+V

F1

F2

F3

F4

Shift+F1

Shift+F2

Shift+F3

Shift+F4

F5

F6

F7

F8

And have programmed my extra mouse buttons to:

Strg+Shift+'

Strg+Shift+ß

Strg+Shift+0

Strg+Shift+9

Strg+Shift+8

Strg+Shift+7

Strg+Shift+-

Strg+Shift+.

Strg+Shift+,

And some skills I just click. Like "mail-droid" or such.

Combine keybinding with mouseturning and you play a whole different game than before.

It also helps to increase the max distance of your camera and zoom out a bit. Let's you see more of what's around you and gives you better awareness.

This ^. Btw i'm pretty sure he's talking about modifying the .ini file which i really think everybody should.

And welcome to the next level. Mouse turning was a huge step up in how i played. Helps alot if you get a logitech g600 or something similar. g600>naga

Edited by Puissant

How am I supposed to click if I use my mouse to turn?

Why turn, anyway? Just keep you back to the wall and your enemies in front. :cool:

In all seriousness, though, I have somewhat smallish hands for a dude, so I can't really do crazy stretch keybinds like shift + h or even shift + t very consistently. So, I got myself a mouse with the 12 buttons on the side (razer naga in my case). That coupled with 'a' and 'd' strafing, mouse turning, and modifying the .ini file to zoom way out - it's like you're playing a new game. Going from keyboard turning and clicking everything (and getting used to playing that way for about a year), it was a real pain switching. I tried cold turkey a few times, got really frustrated, changed it back. I did that a few times before I finally got the hang of it. I'm never going back now - if my naga breaks, I'm going to buy a new one before I log in again. :D

Anyway, good luck. It will up your game, for sure.

Edited by teclado

I don't think I ever let go of the mouse-button... except for selecting a far-away-teammate to intercede. *ponders*

Also: good keybindings are super important. And different for everyone.

Me for example have al LOT of keybindings... and by now they are about the same in every mmo:

*snip*

And have programmed my extra mouse buttons to:

*snip*

And some skills I just click. Like "mail-droid" or such.

Combine keybinding with mouseturning and you play a whole different game than before.

I just...use really basic ones like Q and such. I have some basic shift and control ones (mostly shift and control on the extra mouse buttons my crappy mouse has). But I do still constantly screw up on the shift hitting.

Edit: BAH it took away my post responding thanks to everyone with something constructive to say. Anyway thanks to everyone for the tips :)

Edited by Raynezazki

Question...how exactly do you mouse turn? Noob question I know but I tried the right click + left click and it feels so awkward and uncomfortable. What was I doing wrong?

When I first started with this type of MMO, it actually felt insanely awkward how you had to turn with your keyboard, particularly with A and D, after so many hours in shooters where you always mouse turn and A and D strafe. Wish I hadn't wasted time learning that MMO kind of movement and went to FPS style keys right away.

Anyway, for a new player used to keyboard turning, this is what I'd suggest as a transition strategy:

1. Bind S and F to strafe, E to forward.

2. Bind Alt+S, +F, +E, +D to turning and forward/back.

3. Bind middle mouse button to "auto run".

This assumes a regular office keyboard. If your keyboard has an extra row of keys on the left, stick to WASD rather than ESDF.

You rarely need keyboard turning or back, but they do have their uses - allow you to use your mouse to work on inventory etc. Also, this way you can just hold Alt and use your old movement style.

Then you move forward by holding W or E, turn by holding either mouse button, try not to backpedal, but strafe. If you absolutely have to click - another player, etc - try to still prefer strafing over turning. You have a 270 degree freedom of movement with no turning required.

Does anyone else use the mouse to control all of their movement, for intance i have strafe left and right bound to mouse button 4/5 and walk backwards on mouse button 3, this frees my whole left hand to press abilitys. This does however mean im reliant on tab to select targets which can be a frustrating affair at times.

Am i one the only one doing this?

Tried it. I think you're not doing it the best possible way. Rather than backpedal with middle button, use it to move forward. Make some shift+combo for backpedal, it's so rarely used. Done, now you have all your keys and can click and move forward at the same time. I used buttons 4/5 for left/right strafe, 6/7 forward/back.

In the end I came back to WAD, because my keyboard is a lot more convenient to use and has a lot of extra keys accessible from WASD position, so I don't really feel the need to move my hand anywhere else. Only 4 rows of keys I can't access from WASD and I bind them for interface and other stuff. If I had a plain 101-105 key unit, I'd probably use all-mouse movement as well with Alt+ESDFWR as backup.