[VIDEO] Ability Failure to Fire Bug

SOULCASTER

I really have been getting sick of this bug in game that i refer to as "ability failure", where you go to fire one of your abilities, and it simply does not fire, but uses the GCD (Global Cooldown).

To me this is a game-breaking bug. Especially in pvp where you may be 1v1ing, or trying to defend a node until help can arrive. You simply can NOT have ANY of your abilities failing to fire, and worse, locking you out for another 1.5 seconds while the GCD comes back around.

In this quick 2 minute video, i demonstrate what I'm talking about:

And here is a better example (1min video):

If you ask me, this should be a Priority 1 Bug-Fix. It literally hinders your game play in both PVE and PVP. This is also prevalent on all classes. And this happens on both instant abilities as well as casted and channeled abilities.

Thanks for watching.

Edited by SOULCASTER

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if it's the same but i experienced this on my sage while pvp'ing.

But in my case i couldn't use anything for about 4-5 secs: every ability just used gcd while doing nothing.

I could move and jump but couldn't cast.

After a while it goes away and you can start re-casting.

Don't know if it's the same bug or not tbh or maybe my internet connection. But i'm pretty sure there weren't lag spikes.

Not to discredit your video, but I couldn't tell any misfiring. The way you were dancing around the screen it was hard to keep up with what your character was doing, let along seeing if one missed. Maybe when I get home I can take a better look to see it, but I feel that this issue could have been demonstrated better (assuming that this video does show abilities misfiring).

For me it's been happening on and off. I was fine for a coouple of days but while doing some casual levelling just now on the Harbinger my abilites just kept firing off belatedly or in some bad cases, not at all. I was doing anything major so it was more of an annoyance than anything else but I can certainly imagine situations where it's more than just annoying. Here's hoping they'll pick up on the problem soon!

Don't count on BW to ever fix this game breaking problem. You just need to live with it. There's this thread ability delay this will make or break swtor (something like that), it's been bumped to the first page regularly since January 2012, and for a while there before the massive layoffs they were actually making progress with this issue. However since 1.4 it's been as bad as ever.

It's a core problem with the heavily modified HERO engine and it won't go away unless you give it a major overhaul, and that will never happen.

Not to discredit your video, but I couldn't tell any misfiring. The way you were dancing around the screen it was hard to keep up with what your character was doing, let along seeing if one missed. Maybe when I get home I can take a better look to see it, but I feel that this issue could have been demonstrated better (assuming that this video does show abilities misfiring).

re-watch the last example i show then. Where I fire HIB, Stock strike and then Ion-Pulse...the ion-pulse fails to fire.

It happens to me a lot when using Storm (Vanguard leap). I fire the ability and... nothing. GCD just keeps refreshing as I frantically try to activate other abilities (for some reason this is especially common during Huttball). But the funniest part is that, 4-5 seconds later, my Vanguard will finally leap onto the target, no matter how close or far from it. So now when this happens I try and play with it: it looks so crazy when you land a 40m leap, but it's just so funny when you leap on your target from 1-2m away. :mon_tongue:

It's been there since start. It's also referred to as "double cooldown" at times. It's seriously annoying and can have tremendous effect on fights' outcomes, especially in pvp. This one should be addressed.

5 stars for a video. This has to stay up and get addressed. Some guy got a customer support response that it was implemented to "prevent fast abilities to execute quickly one after another" if I remember correctly from the screenshots posted by the forum user months ago.

People think that master strike playing animation but not being channeled is a separate bug but it's caused by those double cooldowns. This is not lag, this is happening with less than 30ms. Just wait for a specific someone who'll start talking that it's lag and the game is fine. We have a documented proof here! No one can deny it anymore >:-[

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

Yeah, well, but that thread is huge and refers to all sort of issues regarding "ability delay and character responsiveness". Here is this specific, seriously bothering issue. Things like the few second delay during pvp games were solved. It was like you pressed the button and the ability just activated few seconds later, nothing to do with the issue explained in this thread but it was mentioned in the big one. Edited by Alec_Fortescue

Good of you to put together that vid OP.

I'm not surprised to see you demo'd it with a VG. It was so common and annoying with mine that I trailed off on PVPing with that toon.

Yeah I have 9x 50's (well 5x 55's and 4x 50's now), and I play my vanguard less SPECIFICALLY because of this issue. HIB and Ion pulse fail to fire for me more than any other ability on my other classes. And obviously...those are the 2 most important abilities of that class haha. I was trying to level my vanguard today to 55, when I immediately started running into this bug again, HEAVILY.

I had to make a video. I really can't take it anymore.

Edited by SOULCASTER

Things like the few second delay during pvp games were solved. It was like you pressed the button and the ability just activated few seconds later, nothing to do with the issue explained in this thread but it was mentioned in the big one.

And here I was thinking this right here was the topic of this thread, but from your post and after re-reading the OP I just realised it's a different issue. It happens to me a lot, especially with Ion Pulse, as in OP's video.

But that ability delay is still there, and it's not only limited to PVP. So they never solved it (at least not entirely).

Not to discredit your video, but I couldn't tell any misfiring. The way you were dancing around the screen it was hard to keep up with what your character was doing, let alone see if one missed. Maybe when I get home I can take a better look to see it, but I feel that this issue could have been demonstrated better (assuming that this video does show abilities misfiring).

Agreed. You should have someone else kite the baddies while you stand still. It would be easier to see what is happening with your abilities that way.

:cool: