Gen Chat Needs to be Monitored 24/7

Graydon

No more of this M-F, 8 to 5 stuff please.

General Chat has taken a nose dive with topics so disgusting, so crude, and so immature I have become absolutely ashamed to be a part of this community. I swear if I could post screenshots you would turn red of embarrassment and rage of the moronic discussion.

Yes I do use /ignore, which I have never had to do pre F2P. My list grows every time I log in.

It's sad that is has come to this, but BW you need to start babysitting chat and drop the hammer and regain control.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General Chat has taken a nose dive with topics so disgusting, so crude, and so immature I have become absolutely ashamed to be a part of this community. I swear if I could post screenshots you would turn red of embarrassment and rage of the moronic discussion.

Yes I do use /ignore, which I have never had to do pre F2P. My list grows every time I log in.

It's sad that is has come to this, but BW you need to start babysitting chat and drop the hammer and regain control.

I have to agree, although I cannot say I've experienced this first hand, I can imagine how annoying this must be. Bioware need to step on this. You just need to hire people in different countries to monitor it.

I agree with the OP. The ignore list only holds so much and the filter is not a license for folks to say what they like. I have seen some unbelievably lewd conversations go on. People love to use their anonymity as a shield to avoid the consequences of saying garbage that they normally would not say in public.

It has gotten bad enough that I have taken to reporting everything that I see that breaks the TOS. I wish more people would.

i agree with the op.

i went so far as to make a separate chat window without the general channel so in one click i no longer have it.

personally i think the chat is this game is poorly designed. level based chat channels server wide and not zone/planet limited would better serve this game. all the lowbies would be limited to those channels and the 50s would have their own to make premades and ops.

I agree with the OP. The ignore list only holds so much and the filter is not a license for folks to say what they like. I have seen some unbelievably lewd conversations go on. People love to use their anonymity as a shield to avoid the consequences of saying garbage that they normally would not say in public.

It has gotten bad enough that I have taken to reporting everything that I see that breaks the TOS. I wish more people would.

Indeed. I have to cycle through my ignore list every log in because I hit the cap around month 2 of TOR....the stupidity and just F'd up stuff people say should really be monitored a lot more.

Edited by Eillack

I've seen a good increase in racism( a huge peeve of mine) stupidity, trolling and more racism and stupidy in the general chat.

The only thing ill disagree with is that F2P is the prime culprit. F2P players have a limited number of general chat posts, wheras I can think of at least 10 examples where I saw the same person spamming general chat(which would indicate a subscription player)

I get disgusted with the content of a conversation but then my FP queue pops(I'm a tank so it usually pops before I get a chance to use the ignore). What boggles my mind though is that when my FP is done and I'm back on the fleet, that same troll will often STILL BE TALKING. It makes me really wonder if that person could save money on a subscription by just making a free reddit account. But then I remember, Reddit has moderators.

Unfortunately this goes hand in hand with free to play, and monitoring all of the chat channels with heavy activity would be a monumental expense. The best thing to do would be report the offenders and hope BW eventually takes care of them.

I've seen a good increase in racism( a huge peeve of mine) stupidity, trolling and more racism and stupidy in the general chat.

The only thing ill disagree with is that F2P is the prime culprit. F2P players have a limited number of general chat posts, wheras I can think of at least 10 examples where I saw the same person spamming general chat(which would indicate a subscription player)

This........

The conversations have gotten out of control. From politics to religion, to racist content, general chat is best turned off than watched. The problem with that is that it shrinks the number of people you interact with. Some general enforcement of civility rules will go along way to growing the community instead of everyone running to their own corner when they log into the game.

Chat on Coruscant was abominable Sat. night. No one comment was bad enough to get anyone banned, but the over all tone was hostile and misogynistic. I /ignored more people in one night than I have in years of gaming. I don't want to shut general chat and miss people asking legitimate questions. There are a lot of new players that need help, and it's a shame that this sophomoric behavior is hurting their chances of getting questions answered or get groups for quests.

I don't know if it is free players,subbers, or returning players but the general chat especially on the capitol worlds has become absolutely deplorable since launch of F2P. I almost always have it turned off. And if your ignore list gets full then for the really bad ones I add them to my freinds list so with a comment to remind me to avoid them at all costs! Writing tickets unfortunately does no good. Probably the only thing I can honestly say WoW is better at. I never wrote a ticket on a rascist player in WoW that was not responded to within 10 minutes with a ban of said player. I do agree that general chat needs babysitters,not only the content but even some of the names should get players suspended or even banned but until this game starts making money for BW we will never see that kind of support.

This is why I just keep general, trade and pvp chat off. It makes for a much better gaming experience, less clutter and I don't have to look at cries for attention through stupidity. If I want to form a group for a FP or heroic then there are always 10-12 of my guildies on and they're always up for a run through.

Save yourself the trouble and just turn general chat off. Stop feeding these morons and letting them get to you. The best weapon you have against the kiddies is to ignore them. Eventually they'll get bored and go back to wow or halo or call of duty or whatever other game they're bored of.

You won't be missing anything in general chat anyway. And if there's friends you really want to talk to then just use /tell or /group. Problem solved.

They need a proper report function (IE: Right click, report for reason x) instead of just allowing the reporting of spam. I turned general chat off within an hour or re-subbing it was that bad, but mostly full of useless chat rather than anything offensive.

Or...

Let people exercise their freedom of speech. You're on a keep the forums holy crusade, I'm on an identify and crucify all the stupid people crusade.

If others have the right to cry and moan about the stupid, idioti stuff they do on the forums, I should have the right to call them on it without some other crybaby trying to get me banned. I don't tell them they can't have or voice their opinion, why should anyone think they can do that to me (or anyone for that matter).

People need to toughen up and stop getting their little feelings hurt over every little thing, some times people aren't going to like you or your ideas... and they're going to tell you about.

Edited by bahdasz

I know what sarcasm and humor is, So I dont need /ignore.

I also know that its a game with a community going around 12 years old+

And I know that its possible to turn of the chat or only use the guild chat so I dont need to make useless qq thread on the forum.

inb4, is it a troll thread? I mean you are serious when you say that you want Bioware to hold your hand and click on guild chat or turn off the chat for you?

If you want a super mature community go on a discution forum. SWTOR is an Massive Multiplayer Online Role Play Game, this mean that people will play the game the way they want. If they want to have wierd and stupid conversations, They will have those conversation. As long there is no rascist or other things like that involved there is absolutly ZERO problem

If you want a super mature community, you don't pack your bags and go elsewhere. You don't somply ignore people who are below the desired community standard. If you want the world to be a better place, you stop rolling over and taking a spanking from all the trolls in the world, and you make a stand for decency and maturity. You ask for it and promote it in your community instead of throwing your hands up and saying it's too far gone.

You make the world a better place by caring for it.

are you on Prophesy of the Five? Just asking because I was leveling my smuggler alt that night trying to get her to the jedi temple for the HK part. yeah....I ignored about 10 people that night.

Evening and weekend POT5 fleet and home planet gen chats are cesspits of stupidity, best to tab over or ignore unless you need something.

Edited by Joesixxpack

Freedom of speech doesn't give you some innate right to say things that are rude, hateful, and against the agreed upon behaviour rules of whatever platform you're using to communicate, y'know.

This is very true. With freedom comes responsibility. Having said that, I'd like to point out that Freedom of Speech guarantees that the government will not infringe upon your right, not a private party or business. BW and the community are well within their rights to impose and enforce standards of behavior.

I only turn on General Chat when guild recruiting. I usually watch it for 5 or 10 minutes so I know who I don't want to invite.