Gen Chat Needs to be Monitored 24/7

Graydon

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an online game, gen chat is for trolling. Have you not been on the internet before? If you need to sell something, use /trade or the gtn, if you need to ask a question i direct you to google. If gen chat doesn't amuse you, simply turn it off.

This is an online game, gen chat is for trolling. Have you not been on the internet before? If you need to sell something, use /trade or the gtn, if you need to ask a question i direct you to google. If gen chat doesn't amuse you, simply turn it off.

One hundred times this.

Also, General Chat is exactly that, General Chat (and all that the words General and Chat mean).

That being said, I don't whine nor cry about what I read on a General Chat channel. Now if someone was whispering to me and saying foul things just to be a jackanapes, I would then do the proper thing and use my /ignore function and report them.

I do concur that people saying racist things about blacks and Jews, etc, that I have seen, have been reported. People talking about lemonparty? Nope. People know it's a troll and don't get all huffy about it, like they are the infinite superior guardian of all chat or something.

One hundred times this.

Also, General Chat is exactly that, General Chat (and all that the words General and Chat mean).

That being said, I don't whine nor cry about what I read on a General Chat channel. Now if someone was whispering to me and saying foul things just to be a jackanapes, I would then do the proper thing and use my /ignore function and report them.

I do concur that people saying racist things about blacks and Jews, etc, that I have seen, have been reported. People talking about lemonparty? Nope. People know it's a troll and don't get all huffy about it, like they are the infinite superior guardian of all chat or something.

There are things called:

• Tact
  • Respect
  • Courtesy
  • Decency

Being anonymous on the internet does not exempt you from them.

Maybe the community should be given the tools to police itself. If someone is /ignored by, say, 20 people, that person gets a temporary chat ban anywhere between an hour to 24 hours. Think that'll work?

:) :) :rak_09:

Until one of the many large guilds filled with jackwagons decides to use that mechanic to grief people.

Maybe the community should be given the tools to police itself. If someone is /ignored by, say, 20 people, that person gets a temporary chat ban anywhere between an hour to 24 hours. Think that'll work?

Only people getting temp bans would be the chat nannies. I'd vote to ban them too out of general Interwebz principle, whether I agreed with them or not.

Tab over = Problem solved.

Only people getting temp bans would be the chat nannies. I'd vote to ban them too out of general Interwebz principle, whether I agreed with them or not.

If "chat nannies" means what I think it means, they wouldn't have to be nannies with a player-initiated chat ban system anyway. They're only nannies because the terms of service are not sufficiently enforced.

If EA can't (or won't) do it, I say, Power to the People!

It's a good idea but it doesn't work. I have seen systems like that used and it is abused by bullies. It's basically giving more power to the ones causing the problems in the first place.

Until one of the many large guilds filled with jackwagons decides to use that mechanic to grief people.

Exactly.

I usually just turn off chat if it's really bad.:rolleyes:

We should not have to resort to turning off General chat or such. The people that are filling it with racial/sexual remarks, spams, hateful comments etc are the once that need to be removed and/or dealt with.

A simple solution to begin with.

Have Bioware create an Official OOC / Off Topic channel.

Then all can be in there instead of tearing apart General / Trade etc with random jibberish.

Also, since the F2P my patience has dropped almost to dead zero. It has come so far that i am willing to sign a petition if presented with one that removes the chat function at all for F2P players.

It has gotten way out of hand.

Have Bioware create an Official OOC / Off Topic channel.[/center]

Then all can be in there instead of tearing apart General / Trade etc with random jibberish.

Nobody will use it. I know this, because nobody uses it in games where it's available.

Nobody will use it. I know this, because nobody uses it in games where it's available.

Then they open up the reason themselfs for an upcomming report / ban.

If an official solution is presented and people refuse, they are breaking the rules and by that action they revoke the chance to even defend what they are doing. It´s spamming the general chat on purpose by not using OOC.

If you dont like it make a new tab with gen chat off or just ignore it does it really bother you that bad? I think most of it is humerous and it keeps me entertained. Just imo.

So those that use the gen-chat for what it´s there for should back down so the flamewars and racial/sexual/hateposts etc can go on?

That´s not going to happen. There is a problem regarding this and thats no news. Besides, there is nothing fun with people being targeted for hateposting or other. That´s why people are upset on the situation and feel it needs to be fixed.

Walking away or turning over the gen-chat for actions as previously mentioned is not the solution.

Edited by Grihm

Then they open up the reason themselfs for an upcomming report / ban.

Not to sound snarky, but if reporting off-topic, spammy, or offensive chat were an effective option, this thread probably wouldn't exist... :o

Edited by BobaTed

No more of this M-F, 8 to 5 stuff please.

General Chat has taken a nose dive with topics so disgusting, so crude, and so immature I have become absolutely ashamed to be a part of this community. I swear if I could post screenshots you would turn red of embarrassment and rage of the moronic discussion.

Yes I do use /ignore, which I have never had to do pre F2P. My list grows every time I log in.

It's sad that is has come to this, but BW you need to start babysitting chat and drop the hammer and regain control.

Agreed. My ignore list is getting bigger everyday.

Looks like alot of the touchy feely players need to grow up and just stop paying attention to general chat. I can get just as nasty as the rest of them on chat but what people seem to dont undertand its in fun and nothing serious. You just dont share the many types of humor thats out there is all.

Personaly i much rather see the crude in chat then boring convos of the mission they just did. And im sure i can speak for alot of players that do enjoy gen chat when i say its like taking a break from doing a mission or pvp. Sit on chat and talk trash. Sure alot of it can get out of hand but it doesnt last very long at all.

So instead of staying quiet and getting pissy about nothing that even concerns you, why not just say hey can we change the subject this is getting old. Or introduce a new subject. Lighten up and remember its a game and you can allways turn off general chat.

Looks like alot of the touchy feely players need to grow up and just stop paying attention to general chat. I can get just as nasty as the rest of them on chat but what people seem to dont undertand its in fun and nothing serious. You just dont share the many types of humor thats out there is all.

Personaly i much rather see the crude in chat then boring convos of the mission they just did. And im sure i can speak for alot of players that do enjoy gen chat when i say its like taking a break from doing a mission or pvp. Sit on chat and talk trash. Sure alot of it can get out of hand but it doesnt last very long at all.

So instead of staying quiet and getting pissy about nothing that even concerns you, why not just say hey can we change the subject this is getting old. Or introduce a new subject. Lighten up and remember its a game and you can allways turn off general chat.

Need to grow up and stop paying attention to GC?

Sure friend, i can take a joke, but when it goes overhand and/or are just about spreading hate comments about one player or to start arguing if a player is a homosexual or not, then there is nothing you can say to defend an action like that.

If you feel this is still ok, then i suggest you read up on the rules we have for harrasments etc for the game.

Before F2P when you told people in GC to respect others and / or to perhaps keep that debate in a PM, many times you got a good response. Post F2P that was a subject to change.

Now the majority of the times you get profanity, lol, n00b, **** *********, don´t like it then get out etc etc.

If BW and EA creates an Official OOC channel for those people to be in, the problem is in a way minimized. When / if people get out of hand, at least it will not be all over GC so no other can use it.

It is very very strange to see people more or less ignoring to support such a thing and still keep defending trashtalking that spams GC and saying to others that them leaving is the solution. I have said it before and i say it again. We have the same set of rules in this game, so how about we all play by them without exeptions.

Or...

Let people exercise their freedom of speech. You're on a keep the forums holy crusade, I'm on an identify and crucify all the stupid people crusade.

If others have the right to cry and moan about the stupid, idioti stuff they do on the forums, I should have the right to call them on it without some other crybaby trying to get me banned. I don't tell them they can't have or voice their opinion, why should anyone think they can do that to me (or anyone for that matter).

People need to toughen up and stop getting their little feelings hurt over every little thing, some times people aren't going to like you or your ideas... and they're going to tell you about.

The issue isn't someone crying over someone disagreeing, or "crying" over someone not being a sycophant. The issue is behavior that is disruptive and/or against the game's EULA.

I found it somewhat ironic that you link that Wikipedia article, and within the same article is this paragraph. To quote from it in part:

"According to the Freedom Forum Organization, legal systems, and society at large, recognize limits on the freedom of speech, particularly when freedom of speech conflicts with other values or rights.[38] Limitations to freedom of speech may follow the "harm principle" or the "offense principle", for example in the case of ***********, or hate speech. Limitations to freedom of speech may occur through legal sanction or social disapprobation, or both.["

Some chat I've seen in general chat does cross that boundry IMO.

Finally, you don't consider one last thing. SWTOR isn't ran by a government. It's a private ran game with it's own EULA. As long as that EULA doesn't break any laws, it's a contract that you in effect signed when you agreed to it's terms. Why is this important? They can do pretty much what they want that isn't illegal. If they wish to ban every third person just because they can, or give out week long suspensions for usage of the word "Snugglebunnies" or some other absurd act, they can.

So no, you disagreing isn't a bannable offense and in fact if someone suggested it, I'd defend your right to this post, even to the point of implying that people need to stop crying. BUT, before you draw the "Freedom of Speech" card, understand what it does and does not cover.

As an aside, that doesn't even cover the fact that the members in this game are from literally all over the planet, from nations with their own Freedom of Speech laws, or in some cases lack of them. What then? If person A from his nation reports B from their nation, each being different, if we could even apply Freedom of Speech laws, do we use nation A, or B? Or the game's nation if it differs from A or B? If so, do we base it on the USA, where the servers are located if they have any outside of the USA (I assume the Euro servers and Asian-Pacific ones are still in the USA also but they may not be for all I know) or what? Maybe they have already determined how to work this, not like MMO's and other online services haven't been around for a couple decades of course. But still, what nations Freedom of Speech laws, even if they did somehow apply do we use in such a case?

And maybe people that are willing to be obnoxious and crude to the point of annoying others shouldn't be so self centered, have so much of a narcissistic sense of entitlement that they should take chat that breaks the EULA to a private channel or /tells. I actually don't mind most crude chat myself, but if I'm not going to use it in a general or global chat channel. Just like I'm not going to tell crass jokes on a public street, but may at a party where I know people don't mind me saying such. There is such a thing as tact and decorum, and considering others. That isn't being "touchy feely", it's considering others and not mistaking rudeness as a virtue.

Let me guess, and I admit I could be very wrong, you're the sort that complains if you get banned for something you said in general chat, even if it does break the EULA, and better yet even if you KNOW it would probably break it?

Edited by Arvig

Full of wisdom here.

Go ahead and post some of your "humorous" chat here. Lets see if the moderators need to grow up.

So, you get to be crass, vulgar and lewd and we should just deal with it?

That's not how it works. You agreed to a set of rules when you logged in. You can deal with them or run the risk of being disciplined.